PDA

View Full Version : 20k??!?!?

sluthy
Jun 2, 2002, 12:31 AM
How are we supposed to make a decent picture under 20k, let alone an animation? I just made a single 32 x 32 GIF (not animated) and it comes in at 32k!

Then I see other submissions with 50 x 50 animations that go for about 8 seconds! How?

I have 3 avatars that I love, but they're 36k. Please help me! I only have a week!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 02:37 PM
A 32x32 gif image is almost impossible to make 32k, post it here and lets take a look. 32x32 is 1024pixels, even in as a photoshop file that will only take up 3k (1024 bytes x 3, 3 bytes for each RGB pixel). What are you using to create it?

The Bender
Jun 2, 2002, 02:51 PM
The size of a picture depends heavily on the color depth and the design. If you use only a few colors (make sure the GIF is in a low color depth format), and avoid complex gradients (e.g. photographic images), then file sizes stay very low.
Animation doesn't need to take up much space either. If you keep changes small (e.g. blinking, something small moving, block color change), then they take up very little memory. You can also stretch out the time by allotting plenty of time for each frame, or having pauses between movements.
One more thing: Use the right software that knows how to optimize for file size. Example: in my experience, "Gif Builder" can give file sizes 1/5 of those obtained with "Gif Fun". I don't know about the other software available as you have to pay for it and I'm a miserable scrooge.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The Bender
Jun 2, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
A 32x32 gif image is almost impossible to make 32k, post it here and lets take a look. 32x32 is 1024pixels, even in as a photoshop file that will only take up 3k (1024 bytes x 3, 3 bytes for each RGB pixel). What are you using to create it?

Could be that it's only pretending to be 32K. If it's an old-stylee-formatted HD, then that could just be the minimum file size.

Sluthy: Are you using an old Mac? if so, in the Get Info window, don't look at the file size - look at the bytes used, which will be much less.

Beej
Jun 4, 2002, 03:04 AM
My current tar is 40 frames, and less than 20k, so trust me, you can get one frame below 20k!