Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Hi. I have a Powermac G4 and it is pretty old and definately could be replaced, but I cant afford a new computer right now. My daughter is about to get Japanese lessons via webcam from Japan. So we went out and bought a Macally webcam. It needs a 2.0 USB port to plug into. So...I have two, I had installed the pci card a while back and it never did work properly. It did intermittently. When I plugged the webcam into it, it is all static-y and when we tested it out last night, there was not only static audio but the video rolled green and pink. Obviously that isn't working for me. Is there an external USB 2.0 hub that I can get with an ac that can work for me? I am thinking if I have to plug it into a 1.0 USB port, it won't work, but what if I bought one with an ac adapter?

I found this one. Whadya think? Should I buy it? Will it work?
Thanks so much.
Patti

Vantec model#UGT-MH304 go2.0 USB 2.0 MiniHub with 4 USB 2.0 ports

Manufacturer Vantec
Manufacturer Part # UGT-MH304
Dimension 80 x 30 x 12mm
Weight 45g
Transfer Rate 480 / 12/ 1.5 Mbps
Compatible with Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/ MAC OS X
Package Includes USB Cable X 1
DC Mini Power Adaptor X 1
Features Sleek, Compact Design
Self-Powered (for <5oomA devices)
Four USB 2.0 Ports
Easy To Install, Easy To Use
Includes Mini Power Adaptor

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If you plug this into your USB 1 port, it's just going to be the same as plugging the cam directly into the USB 1 port. It's going to be USB 1 speeds. Unfortunately. The AC adapter doesn't really change that fact.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
get a 2.0 USB pci card and plug the cam into it......

or better yet, get a firewire cam instead.....which will use your built-in ports, needs no AC adapter and will function much better due to minimal CPU overhead

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

The Japanese lessons start in 2 weeks and I guess, she can see the teacher, but the teacher won't be able to see her...and then...I guess we didn't need the webcam then did we? Woulda been nice to play with my mom in Florida.
I asked my husband to run a diagnostic on the PCI slots and he said that unfortunately it didn't test the ports.

So I am not sure what to do with this problem...

Do you think that if I take the PCI card out and blow air on it to get the dust off it might help? Could it be a dust problem?

I think the other PCI slot in the computer is ng. I had tried to plug, a something I cant remember, into it and it didnt work and it ended up working in the other slot. It was something I needed to in order to run my iphoto and work it with my ipod...anyway, it didn't work, but it did work in the other slot.
Thank you so much for your time and patience.
Patti
:eek:)

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
MAN I TYPE SLOW...
THANKS.
IS THERE ANY SUCH THING AS AN ADAPTER FROM USB--->FIREWIRE? ALREADY BOUGHT THE CAMERA.
sorry for caps.
Patti

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You can go pick up a Logitech quickcam or any other really cheap USB webcam for under $10. Buying a compatible PCI USB 2.0 card might cost a little bit more for one that actually works from a name brand.

Have you tried to see if that cam works in one of your stock USB ports? After reading the specs of the macally webcam, it doesn't say that it requires a 2.0 port, just any USB should work.

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Its an Macally IceCam 2 usb 2.0 video camera with microphone for mac & pc. I cleaned out the dust and it still is sucky.

I think I will have to bite it and buy a new usb 2.0 port card or I am going to try to find a firewire webcam at J&R, cuz thats where I bought the other one.

When I plug it in to the 2.0 port card, the light goes on and the camera even goes on but there is so much interference. ARGH!!!!! I think it is definately the port card.

Thanks. I will keep you updated as to what works. Right now I will try the iPod in it just as an experiment....

Patti

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Cleaning the dust out of it worked for my iPod.

I am at a loss! I can't find a webcam at J&R that uses a firewire for mac and all the other webcams that will use a 1.0 USB is for a PC. I'll keep looking.

Patti

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you can, although it is an expensive alternative is to find an iSight webcam which are firewire, only one I think? They will run you over $100. Check ebay too for cheap webcams.

BTW, What OS do you have? I think the Iceman2 requires 10.4 Tiger to run.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Make sure you buy a USB 2.0 card that uses a NEC chipset. That type is the most compatible as OS X has drivers built in for NEC-based USB cards. Other cards use cheapass ALi or VIA chips which run on a generic driver and don't always work.

Buying a USB 2.0 hub and plugging it into a USB 1.0 mainboard port WILL NOT GET YOU USB 2.0.

J&R has the IOGear GIC251U, that does have a NEC chipset, but it's priced a little on the high side, like $22.

For $17 shipped, you could get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16815166002

If you check the reviews it is confirmed to work on Macs.

Here's another idea: If you have an older digital camcorder with a Firewire port, you can hook that directly into your Mac with a 6 to 4 pin Firewire cable, as most camcorders have 4 pin ports. Sony and Canon have these ports on most of their consumer models. Launch iChat with the camera on and it should be recognized. You get excellent quality, built in sound via the camcorder's mike.

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Give the mac's usb ports a go ...

Try the built-in USB 1.1 ports first.

p.s. i'm not sure if you've tested it but if i'm reading the thread accurately, you've yet to give this option a shot.

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
I am Running Tiger.

Will my sony video camera work as a webcam for skype?
I don't have ichat and we need skype to talk to the Japanese teacher in Japan.
Wow, then I can maybe return the webcam and use my video camera it does have firewire. I even have a tripod.
I don't know if I want my daughter to play with the videocamera, but maybe for these lessons...I will keep working it.

What is built in usb 1.1 port? Is that what I already have that is behaving sucky? No thats is a card that I installed to add 2.0 usb ports to my mac.

It definately doesn't work in the regular usb ports that are built into the computer or on monitor or keyboard and believe it or not...I even tried the printer usb port.
Patti

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
ok. i guess i wasn't detailed enough. ;) here goes again ...

ignore the PCI card. just plug your usb camera into the USB ports of your mac (i.e. the mac's own USB ports) note: do not use the usb ports on your keyboard. use the ports at the rear or the G4 PowerMac.

if your video camera has a firewire port (i'm assuming it has, you see, my sony video cam doesn't as it is a rather old one, the hi-8 series; anyway, back to your issue) and you import video into the mac by using the 4-6 pin firewire cable, you are highly likely able to use the Sony DV cam as a webcam (a rather high quality webcam if i may add!)

next step, plug that Sony DV cam into one of the firewire ports of your mac you should be able to use it in skype.

i too have a usb logitech camera and it works well with both my iMac G4 800 and the PowerMac G4 533 (DA). the caveat - one has to install those drivers and etc to get it detected on the macs. it is one of the very old quickcam express series from the early 2000s or late 90s.

for the record, i too have installed a USB 2.0 PCI card and an additional PCI Firewire card. these are generic ones and they function fine with my PowerMac G4. the firewire doesn't support startup though. (the usb 2.0 certainly doesn't support that either)

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
I looked up that PCI card that is linked above and the specs says it is for PC, WINDOWS, VISTA, AND NOT MAC.

It works on Mac, if you looked at the NewEgg user comments you would have seen at least three posts saying it worked on other G4 machines.

Also one of the biggest Mac online stores sells it and they know it works on Mac.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGear/GIC251U/

It's just not marketed for Mac because the company that makes it knows it's going to make no money selling to people who own older Macs

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
I am Running Tiger.

Will my sony video camera work as a webcam for skype?

Yes, as long as it has an i.LINK port; i.LINK is just Sony's marketing name for FireWire. Get a $15 cable from J&R:

http://www.jr.com/belkin/pe/BKN_F3N401_hy_3ICE/

Put the smaller end in the Sony, the larger end in the G4, run Skype with the camera powered on and select Skype's Preferences > General > Video and there should be a video choice entitled Firewire Video or something similar.

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
My Logitech USB Webcam

TIFFADEE, the below is the pict of my webcam that i use primary with the iMac 800MHz.

41T9WS1M8RL._SS500_.gif

source: Amazon

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
What do you think about the Ultra 6-port usb 2.0 pci expansion card?

I found it at B&H photo for $12.95.

I am going to send my husband there around 6:30 ish to pick one up. I thought it might be my best solution, next to letting my almost 13 year old daughter play with my very expensive sony digital videocamera.

If you see anything there that would be better please let me know. I'm really trying to not spend more than I need to.

Thanks again.
Patti :cool:

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
if u really must want a usb 2.0 card, then go for that, but if ur aim is just to get a camera to work, i'll rather spend approx 6 usd on the old webcam ;)

p.s. see the above posts, users have already suggested what cards (and actually your card apparently works fine in the mac, again, see above posts)

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
It was the card! I got that new pci card @ b&h the other day, installed it & the webcam works & my ipod synced in lightspeed! WOW!
Thanks for all your help and support.
This is the best site for assistance.
I cant wait til I get a new iMac!
Have a great weekend!
Patti
:)

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
I'm BAAAAACK!!!!!

What a pain in the ass.....Ok so I returned the Macally Icecam2 because as it turns out, the PCI port has an issue. It works for the iPod just fine, but for the webcam, there is just too much static and noise and it wasn't working out for us at all.

I did as you suggested and hooked up the Sony mini DV camera to the firewire and the picture is awesome, until I click on the Skype to do a test call, and then it crashes my Skype. I contacted Skype tech support and sent them my crash logs and they suck.

However, I am told by the tech support through the Japanese lessons that the Sony camera is just too Hi-Tech for this Skype...I have an old JVC vhs-c GR-40 compact videomovie camera. It has plug that hooks into an adapter that looks kinda like s-video (from the camera) attached to an adapter that hooks up to a coaxial cable (to the tv). The wires are hooked up now in back of my living room tv. The adapter is a video/tv switch.

Is there a way to hook this camera up to my computer?

I can't find the right item on line to do this with and I'm also not sure what I'm looking for.

I looked for s-video to usb and s-video to firewire (to use without this adapter thing), but I'm not so sure it is even an s-video connection...and...I think I need it to be a coaxial connection anyway (to use with this adapter). I looked for that too.

I can't find my manual for this camera and don't even know what this plug would be. I looked in the JVC site and there is not a manual for this camera.

My daughter is doing these Japanese lessons without a webcam, but it would be so much better with one.

Please help me.

Thank you again.

Patti :confused:

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Patti,

That old camera was made too early to work with your Mac; you'd need a USB to Video converter to get it to work.

That Macally camera may have just been defective. Try this:

Go here and download macam and install it:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php

Then go to J & R and for $20 get this camera (it's on the macam supported list)

http://www.jr.com/logitech/pe/LGI_960000151/

I use this on a Quicksilver G4 with a USB 2.0 card under Leopard and it works fine.. you have to reboot after install

TIFFADEE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
BATTERY PARK CITY
Dear Earl,
You are brilliant. First of all, when I got to work yesterday, I called my maintenance shop and asked the ENG guys about it and they told me the same thing about the old camera...RF camera is not going to work digitally. So, this morning I got your "Urly" message and went to the MACAM site and looked at the list and saw that the Sony Eye Toy will probably work. So I ran and got it from the other side of the room!!!!! I installed the macam and voila! It works!
I did a test on the skype and it worked too. So I put the printer into the 2.0 port and it works fine and the eyetoy camera into the regular usb port and it is all good!
Thank you so much. Now I just have to get the settings right. There is a LED box to click or unclick and it turns a red light on on the camera and I don't see a difference. I don't know what that means. But I think SarahJane's teacher way over in Japan will be happy to "see" her this evening.
Thanks again.
Patti :p

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Patti,

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

FYI, the red LED on the Sony Eye Toy camera is an indication that the light level is too low. Try bring a lamp or something closer to the camera subject to get it to turn off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.