Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Aperture 2.1.2, a minor update to their professional photography software. Aperture 2.1.2 "improves the printing quality of books, cards and calendars ordered through the Aperture printing service."

The update weighs in at 48 MB and requires Aperture 2 and OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.3 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 2.1.2

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Hmm... a software update that affects the physical printing quality at a remote location... Impressive. I would think that would have required better printers or paper. :D

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

further confirmation that Steve Jobs = Magic

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Hmm... a software update that affects the physical printing quality at a remote location... Impressive. I would think that would have required better printers or paper. :D

errr- yes. What part is magical to you? Just like iPhoto, Aperture creates a file that is sent to a company over the Internet. Apple controls the dpi, gamma, color depth, etc of that file it creates. You didn't think they Raw originals I hope. Kinds computing 101. :)

boer

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
This update is huge if the only thing it does is tweak some settings used to export print orders. I remember one could manually alter some of these settings in iPhoto by just editing a single configuration file.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
The last Aperture update broke the app's most basic function — importing photos from many (all?) camera models stopped working unless you switched the camera to mass-storage mode. Anyone know if this has been fixed?

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Nothing is different at first glance.

49.3 MB for updating from 2.1.1 using 10.5.5

Found something. I just started up Aperture again and noticed my temps skyrocketing. Had a look in Activity Monitor and noticed that Aperture was using 180% CPU.

I would not question that if I was doing batch editing, but all I was doing was viewing images in the film strip. If I let an image stay on screen for a couple seconds, the CPU would drop to 1-5%. As soon as I switched to the next image the CPU would jump to 150%+.

This is new since the update this afternoon.

Anyway to downgrade? Or would it just be best to reinstall from the DVD (where could I get the 2.1.1 update)?

sizzlingbadger

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
New Zealand
arghhh

I can't believe with all the current issues with Aperture effecting professional photographers that this update only changes the quality of books etc...

The forums are bursting at the seams with issues around raw files and corruption's and Apple bring out this update so that uncle Bob can print out a book full of his latest fishing snaps. Adobe get ready for the rush to Lightroom....

icecavern

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Reading, UK
I can't believe with all the current issues with Aperture effecting professional photographers that this update only changes the quality of books etc...

The forums are bursting at the seams with issues around raw files and corruption's and Apple bring out this update so that uncle Bob can print out a book full of his latest fishing snaps. Adobe get ready for the rush to Lightroom....

What issues are these? Other than the painfully slow updates for new cameras I've not had a problem.

boer

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
That's quite amazing. I whish all of my apps would use more than 100% the hardware I give them... might save me from spending money to buy a faster laptop. :D

180 % means the app was utilising almost 2 cores at the time.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
errr- yes. What part is magical to you? Just like iPhoto, Aperture creates a file that is sent to a company over the Internet. Apple controls the dpi, gamma, color depth, etc of that file it creates. You didn't think they Raw originals I hope. Kinds computing 101. :)

Just kiddin, just kiddin.

Pleiades

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Pacific Northwest
How does this update improve output of cards and calendars? From what I can tell, Aperture doesn't support either of those, only books.

The patch is for Aperture, not iPhoto, which does support those features.

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2006
London
calendars??

Sorry. i mjst be missing something.. but where in Aperture are calendars and greetings cards anywaya.. I know there can be custom page layouts but where is the option to print on postcards or calendars??

GoshKruse

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
No update for the D90

There doesn't seem to be added support for raw files from the Nikon D90. How lame! :mad:

JayTapp

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I'd like to use Aperture(half the price)but Adobe has my soul with Lightroom 2.

I tried the demo of aperture and I miss the lightroom presets. I'm not a fan of the iPhoto/Aperture way of managing the library. I like knowing where my physical files are. This is maybe my past as a windows user :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.