Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I just came back from the Apple store and man Apple just makes fabulous things. I was very impressed with the Macbook Pro, but I did come away disappointed with the new Macbook screen. As soon as I saw it, it looked washed out to me. Not completely washed out but it looked as if there was a white film over the screen. I walked around to see the other macbooks and they all looked like that.

I walked back and forth between the new Macbook, Macbook Pro 15 and 17, and the Macbook Air and I didn't see that white film on any of the laptops except the macbook. The Macbook Pro 15 screen just looked superb though and I was very impressed with it.

In terms of screen quality, not taking into account resolution, this is what I noticed Macbook Pro 15> Macbook Pro 17>Macbook Air>Macbook.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
I just came back from the Apple store and man Apple just makes fabulous things. I was very impressed with the Macbook Pro, but I did come away disappointed with the new Macbook screen. As soon as I saw it, it looked washed out to me. Not completely washed out but it looked as if there was a white film over the screen. I walked around to see the other macbooks and they all looked like that.

I walked back and forth between the new Macbook, Macbook Pro 15 and 17, and the Macbook Air and I didn't see that white film on any of the laptops except the macbook. The Macbook Pro 15 screen just looked superb though and I was very impressed with it.

In terms of screen quality, not taking into account resolution, this is what I noticed Macbook Pro 15> Macbook Pro 17>Macbook Air>Macbook.

Yeah, I compared my macbook screen to the screen on my wife's macbook air and it seems a little more washed out than hers. I was going to try calibrating it to see if that helped, but I'm scared I'll screw something up and not be able to get it back to where it is now. The screen on my macbook is a definite improvement from my last generation macbook, IMO.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
You can always reset to the default calibration whenever you'd like.

All of the Mac screens look pretty bad to me pre-calibration.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
You can always reset to the default calibration whenever you'd like.

All of the Mac screens look pretty bad to me pre-calibration.

I'm looking to to make the black levels deeper, like the air, does anyone know how to accomplish this, or is it more trial and error than anything??

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I'm looking to to make the black levels deeper, like the air, does anyone know how to accomplish this, or is it more trial and error than anything??

Use the program SuperCal, and follow the directions precisely.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
An email I sent to apple ... the more demand the better the chance.
feel free to copy and paste to sjobs@apple.com

Dear Sir,
I am one of the many Apple users who is looking for a small version of
the MBP. And while your latest macbook releases are a great step forward
in design and options, many of us still feel that there is too larger gap
separating the the 3 current laptop models (MB, MBP, MBA).

While many of us are excited with the new MB range, we would still like
to see an extra option configuration made available for it. I am one of
the many who would like the option of being able to purchase a higher
quality 13" screen if required that is more in line with the MBP quality
while shopping for a laptop from the apple store.

I am submitting this request in the hopes of it coming into reality and feel
this option would be more feasible for Apple to offer. As it wouldn't effect
the case etc.

Please conceder this as an option as many of us, are looking for a small
quality macbook.

Cheers & good health

Name ___________________

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
There's a pretty indepth review on Amazon where one of the buyers is complaining about the screen. He basically said the new Macbooks have lower quality screens that suffer from a blueish tint (even after calibration).

Apparently, none of the other models (including the new MBP) suffer from this problem. I'm going to Best Buy to play with one today but if this is true, I'm going to be disappointed since I was looking forward to getting my first real macbook (using an MSI Wind with OS X on it at the moment).

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

Dear Sir,
I am one of the many Apple users who is looking for a small version of
the MBP. And while your latest macbook releases are a great step forward
in design and options, many of us still feel that there is too larger gap
separating the the 3 current laptop models (MB, MBP, MBA).

While many of us are excited with the new MB range, we would still like
to see an extra option configuration made available for it. I am one of
the many who would like the option of being able to purchase a higher
quality 13" screen if required that is more in line with the MBP quality
while shopping for a laptop from the apple store.

I am submitting this request in the hopes of it coming into reality and feel
this option would be more feasible for Apple to offer. As it wouldn't effect
the case etc.

Please conceder this as an option as many of us, are looking for a small
quality macbook.

Cheers & good health

Name ___________________

Inspired! ;)

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Standard.

Have you calibrated yours ?

Or is it the standard color profile ?

/Everlast

I haven't touched a thing. In another post, someone said this..."Display -- The LED screen is noticeably improved over 1st Gen MBA LED, which I considered "washed out." It's nice, evenly lit, with minor light leakage at bottom, but with no dead or stuck pixels. It's the best Mac screen yet, with superb edge definition and crispness of color. It's still no Sony TZ screen, of course, but getting close. MAKE SURE TO INCREASE SATURATION BY CHOOSING TELEVISION GAMMA IN DISPLAY PREFERENCES UNDER "COLOR" TAB."

But I haven't done a thing and mine is sharp, rich and deep in color. In fact, on my previous MB I always had the brightness on high, now I use it on half. It's really good. Sorry that some of you are having problems, that would just kill it for me.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I haven't touched a thing. In another post, someone said this..."Display -- The LED screen is noticeably improved over 1st Gen MBA LED, which I considered "washed out." It's nice, evenly lit, with minor light leakage at bottom, but with no dead or stuck pixels. It's the best Mac screen yet, with superb edge definition and crispness of color. It's still no Sony TZ screen, of course, but getting close. MAKE SURE TO INCREASE SATURATION BY CHOOSING TELEVISION GAMMA IN DISPLAY PREFERENCES UNDER "COLOR" TAB."

But I haven't done a thing and mine is sharp, rich and deep in color. In fact, on my previous MB I always had the brightness on high, now I use it on half. It's really good. Sorry that some of you are having problems, that would just kill it for me.

Whats your display model number?...to find out go to Sys Prefs>Display>Color>Open Profile. Then scroll down to 13, select it and then you should Model number

tbae12

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008

Might as well as apple to add in a discrete graphics card too and make it a 13" Macbook pro cause that and firewire are like the only things separating the two.

zzzzzzzzz

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
cause to return?

Hey guys - I've got my new macbook on order, due to arrive any day, but these screen issues are troubling me, and might actually make me tip towards getting the MBA instead. I mean, for the everyday computing that I do (a lot of web, statistics and word processing), the screen takes precedence over raw power. Is one able to take a shipment ordered off the website and exchange it at the store?

thanks.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Whats your display model number?...to find out go to Sys Prefs>Display>Color>Open Profile. Then scroll down to 13, select it and then you should Model number

Model: 00009C8C Manufacture Date: C3C41D00

There it is... by the way, how do I read the Manufacture Date? How do I tell what week and month it was built?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.