Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batollo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Hey guys, I just bought my first macbook and I am fascinated. But what is it for a noise when I start the mac? I mean the noise from the disc drive, it sounds like it tries to eject a disc. Today in my class people around me were looking because of this sound.

Does anyone knows what I mean and can tell me if everything is alright?

Skyldig

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I don't have an Alubook yet, but I can tell you that my 1 gen. Macbook does the exact same thing. Nothing is wrong with your computer, but I have no idea why it makes that noise everytime it boots up.

GadgetCollector

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Don't worry, it's normal. Every time I insert a disc, it sounds like the Mac will break and eject it just like what you said. No, it's perfectly OK. It scares me a little bit, though. :D

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
When I insert and eject a disc, it makes this horrible clicking sound a couple times. Is this what you're talking about? If not, is THIS normal??

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
being terrified of the superdrive's monstrous noises is standard mac initiation

batollo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the responses.

I don't mean the noise when I want to use the drive, but when I start the mac after stutting it down it makes this noise (like using it, but i just press the power-on button).

btw: is it sufficient to close the mac when I am going to tranport it or should I shut it down completely?

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Just close it and make sure it's a sleep.

And it's normal for the drive to spin slightly when booting or waking.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I don't have an Alubook yet, but I can tell you that my 1 gen. Macbook does the exact same thing. Nothing is wrong with your computer, but I have no idea why it makes that noise everytime it boots up.

What is an Alubook??? Don't you know it's called a Glassbook!

I'm only kidding by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.