Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Does the Canon HV20 utilize FW or USB to transfer from the camera??

Thanks

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
ALL miniDV camcorders use Firewire to transfer DV video.

NO miniDV camcorders use USB to transfer DV video. Not one.

Many miniDV camcorders have USB ports, and these are for transferring still images.

Many camcorders can also use USB to stream video, whether live or from tape playback, but these are at a lower resolution like 320x240 or 640x480, and they stream in some format other than DV. Basically the camcorder is acting as a webcam. You CAN capture video for editing this way, but you will not be getting the full quality of the DV format - it will be lower resolution, possibly have jerky or skipped frames, no timecode data, and no software deck control.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
What are you capturing with? If you're using an Aluminum Macbook you're out of luck. Otherwise you can use Firewire. If you're using a Mac Pro then you could also add an HDMI capture card like an Intensity Pro, as I believe the HV20 has HDMI out. This is how I capture video from my HV30.

iMeanIt

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Temporarily in Michigan
Hv20

What are you capturing with? If you're using an Aluminum Macbook you're out of luck. Otherwise you can use Firewire. If you're using a Mac Pro then you could also add an HDMI capture card like an Intensity Pro, as I believe the HV20 has HDMI out. This is how I capture video from my HV30.

No - the HV20 does not have an HDMI output. 'Still, a great camera for the price!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Didn't you get the memo that your camera suddenly doesn't need the firewire now, via Steve and the Macbook release? (/sarcasm)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
No - the HV20 does not have an HDMI output. 'Still, a great camera for the price!

No- the HV20/30 does have HDMI Out. It allows owners to bypass the HDV codec.

Attachments

• jd-canon-hv20-hardware-05.jpg
    jd-canon-hv20-hardware-05.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 937

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
No- the HV20/30 does have HDMI Out. It allows owners to bypass the HDV codec.

Would that be any use for the OP at the moment though? I thought the HDMI output was only any use for capturing straight to a computer and not for transferring footage captured on tape? Dunno, might be wrong :)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Would that be any use for the OP at the moment though? I thought the HDMI output was only any use for capturing straight to a computer and not for transferring footage captured on tape? Dunno, might be wrong :)

I don't have an HV20 but I don't see any reason why such an output wouldn't let you playback from tape. Isn't that the whole point, to be able to play back taped footage to your HDTV?

Whether this is of value to the OP also depends on whether they want to purchase a capture card such as the Intensity Pro (which seems to be $330 at B&H).

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I don't have an HV20 but I don't see any reason why such an output wouldn't let you playback from tape. Isn't that the whole point, to be able to play back taped footage to your HDTV?

Whether this is of value to the OP also depends on whether they want to purchase a capture card such as the Intensity Pro (which seems to be $330 at B&H).

Sorry, should have made myself clearer; there is no point using the HDMI port for capturing from tape (as the OP wanted to do), because the footage will be of the same quality as if he imported over Firewire. However, I think if he had a capture card he could capture raw, uncompressed HD through the HDMI port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.