PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next


MacBytes
Feb 2, 2004, 05:06 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040202060617)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

edesignuk
Feb 2, 2004, 05:18 AM
Three IBM-designed 64-bit microprocessors. The combined power of these chips means the Xbox Next will have more computing power than most personal computers. The chips are used in Apple Computer's high-end G5 PowerMac machines now.
Holy crap!!! :eek: Now there's no excuse, we gotta have 4 x G5's in a PowerMac! :D

edesignuk
Feb 2, 2004, 05:29 AM
More spec info: http://nextbox.ccfx.net/specs.php

It just gets better, I hope they can deliver on this:
IBM-developed 65nm 64-bit chip @3GHz+
This 65nm chip would go along with the other rumor (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58612).

nagromme
Feb 2, 2004, 05:36 AM
I think MS is very smart to choose to make the next X-Box without a hard disk. Gamers do not want to download add-ons or demos or maps.

( Shhhhh.... ;) )

yamabushi
Feb 2, 2004, 05:39 AM
This suggests that the G5 CPU is very inexpensive compared to x86 competitors with comparable performance.

edesignuk
Feb 2, 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
I think MS is very smart to choose to make the next X-Box without a hard disk. Gamers do not want to download add-ons or demos or maps.

( Shhhhh.... ;) )
Odd, the link I put in my last post lists it as maybe having a 100GB HDD.
Memory/Storage

* 512MB System RAM
* 100+GB Hard Drive
* Dual-layer DVD (8.5GB) or Blu-Ray disks (25+GB)
* 128MB removeable flash memory 'card'

cc bcc
Feb 2, 2004, 05:49 AM
Since MS is losing money on each xbox sold, they could very well write an emulator for OS X, it wouldn't be to difficult. They make money out of each game anyway.

michaelrjohnson
Feb 2, 2004, 08:06 AM
well, i think this proves that ibm has re-established itself as the chip maker to beat.

overall, i think this could have interesting implications for us mac users. it's not exactly a quantum leap from G5 in Xbox to G5 in PowerMac... only time will tell...

0 and A ai
Feb 2, 2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
I think MS is very smart to choose to make the next X-Box without a hard disk. Gamers do not want to download add-ons or demos or maps.

( Shhhhh.... ;) )

And you know what gamers want? I'm pretty avid console gamer and most people i talk to online playing ps2 online are looking forward to purchasing the Hard Drive add on for the ps2.

Downloading maps, new characters, listening to your own music and many other things are some of the great features you can get with a HD.

Now with that said. Xbox reason for leaving out a HD might be for a different reason all together. The fact that you'll be able to access files and download files to your computer over your home network.

Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
well, i think this proves that ibm has re-established itself as the chip maker to beat.

overall, i think this could have interesting implications for us mac users. it's not exactly a quantum leap from G5 in Xbox to G5 in PowerMac... only time will tell...

No it isn't much of a quantum leap but people said that when Nintendos Gamecube annoucned it was going to have a powerpc chip. Not much came of that.

Originally posted by yamabushi
This suggests that the G5 CPU is very inexpensive compared to x86 competitors with comparable performance.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the g5 is getting great speed increases as they shrink it down and the amount of power it consumes is very low when compared to a similar performing x86 chip. Remember one of the problems with the xbox they are trying to correct is its massive size.

Originally posted by edesignuk
Odd, the link I put in my last post lists it as maybe having a 100GB HDD.

The link you posted also says this at the top

Xbox 2 System Specs
Below are the ESTIMATEDspecs of the Xbox 2. As soon as official specs are announced, you will find them here. These specs are very general, again they will be more specific once official technical details are announced.

cybertron3
Feb 2, 2004, 09:41 AM
The machine also will have about 256 megabytes of dynamic random access memory. But Microsoft will upgrade that to 512 gigabytes if Sony puts in more.


Way to dwarf sony :p Oh well, the more pissing fights between the two, the better consoles we get ;)

and yes, i know then mean MB :)

STITCHES
Feb 2, 2004, 09:50 AM
Any one else see this? 13th paragragh down.
The machine also will have about 256 megabytes of dynamic random access memory. But Microsoft will upgrade that to 512 gigabytes if Sony puts in more.

Now thats alot of RAM!!!!!!!! Sure its a typo. hehe.

Qunchuy
Feb 2, 2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
I think MS is very smart to choose to make the next X-Box without a hard disk. Gamers do not want to download add-ons or demos or maps.

( Shhhhh.... ;) )
I agree one hundred percent.

(*wink*)

Veldek
Feb 2, 2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
And you know what gamers want?

I think you should read his post again and you will see what he really meant...

TwitchOSX
Feb 2, 2004, 10:44 AM
What the hell is going on here!? They plan on having a console out in Fall of 2005 based on what Sony will be bringing out in 2006? All I heard in that story was "Microsoft will do this and that, unless Sony does this and that." Why dont they stop copying people and make something on thier own. Im sure Sony is looking at what Microsoft is doing as well, but they are the leaders in this game. I hope sony keeps it quiet that they are going to put a hard drive in the Playstation 3. Then let MS NOT put a hard drive and then the day after the Xbox Next, have Sony come out with some details INCLUDING a HD. That would be awesome. Make MS think they arent putting al this crap in. Then put it in after MS has molded thier Xbox around the supposed specs.

0 and A ai
Feb 2, 2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by TwitchOSX
What the hell is going on here!? They plan on having a console out in Fall of 2005 based on what Sony will be bringing out in 2006? All I heard in that story was "Microsoft will do this and that, unless Sony does this and that." Why dont they stop copying people and make something on thier own. Im sure Sony is looking at what Microsoft is doing as well, but they are the leaders in this game. I hope sony keeps it quiet that they are going to put a hard drive in the Playstation 3. Then let MS NOT put a hard drive and then the day after the Xbox Next, have Sony come out with some details INCLUDING a HD. That would be awesome. Make MS think they arent putting al this crap in. Then put it in after MS has molded thier Xbox around the supposed specs.

Microsoft will know what ps3 specs are. A tactical last second change to the specs to throw off the competition is very hard to do. Espionage

edesignuk
Feb 2, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Espionage
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

mkjellman
Feb 2, 2004, 11:33 AM
could this be another reason for MS's purchace of VirtualPC? Just a thought..

rotomas
Feb 2, 2004, 11:39 AM
It would sure feel good to be running Panther on a triple-processor Xbox, but I guess if the hackers found a way to do that it would hurt Apple sales. Do you think that would be possible?

ALoLA
Feb 2, 2004, 01:03 PM
Is the name going to be "XBox Next"? Wonder if Steve will take offense to that? :)

0 and A ai
Feb 2, 2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by mkjellman
could this be another reason for MS's purchace of VirtualPC? Just a thought..

could be

I don't see why backward compatibility is such an issue. I think its more of a marketing thing than any thing. Only time i used a ps1 disc on my ps2 was to see if it worked.

It'd be great if u could hack that thing into running osx. Probably won't be able too though.

nagromme
Feb 2, 2004, 02:24 PM
At least some people understood my post :)

From the article:

In contrast with the current Xbox, the next one will have no hard disk drive -- unless Sony puts one in the PlayStation 3.

...The current Xbox has an eight-gigabyte hard disk drive. That drive is useful for online games and storing game art, but many developers chose not to make use of it. As a result, Microsoft seems to have decided that saving the $50 the hard drive costs outweighs its benefits.

Not to mention MS making the new Xbox incompatible with the old:

``I can't imagine that Microsoft would be so insanely stupid as to make it incompatible,'' said Jon Peddie, an analyst at Jon Peddie Research in Tiburon.

Go MS :)

MrMacMan
Feb 2, 2004, 04:35 PM
Backwards compatiablity should be a go...

that is why I was hesitant to buy my GameCube, N64 has a great amount of games, but none would be transfed over... since cartridge vs. cd/dvd.

Ah well.


Also... No hard Drive or 100 GB hd?

lol.

I think they should upgrade to a 10 GB hd and just leave it there, maybe some Massive online based games could come out and use the HD...

3 G5-like 3 GHZ processors... sounds nice to me...

Now, like the Linux people, we need to get one... and make it into a SuperMac!

:D

LoopHoles
Feb 3, 2004, 08:00 PM
Internally, Microsoft has begun developing game prototypes, and it is using G5 systems to do so.

a few months ago, a MS employee posted a picture of three palettes of dual 2.0 GHz G5s arriving at Redmond (http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2003/10/even_microsoft_.html). now we know what MS wanted them for (besides developing VPC 7).