Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi Guys

Ive been waiting ages to get a New Macbook, but, as like some other people, accept for the GPU, the processor is still, relatively the same

So, should i fork out the Cash now, or wait till the possible Nehalem upgrade at the end of 2009 (Is it then or is it another date)

Also, my Cousin is an apple employee and there is no Apple employee discount?

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Well, If the Nehalem comes out by THIS TIME next year (around November 2009) Then ill get one then, ill probably get one now

However Im also waiting for My cousin to confirm that his friend can still get an Apple Employee discount (anyone know any news on this)

Also is there a big differnece in Performence between Penryn and Nehalem?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well, If the Nehalem comes out by THIS TIME next year (around November 2009) Then ill get one then, ill probably get one now

However Im also waiting for My cousin to confirm that his friend can still get an Apple Employee discount (anyone know any news on this)

Nehalem is an entirely new CPU architecture. I imagine the gains can be compared to Pentium 4 and Core 2.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

Yes, there will be. That is when I'm plan on upgrading. Plus Snow Leopard will be out also and upgrades to the gen 1 aluminum Macbooks.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It may well be the first half of 2010 before Intel actually releases mobile Nehalem. Just keep that in mind.

sk47

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
It may well be the first half of 2010 before Intel actually releases mobile Nehalem. Just keep that in mind.

Yep, true. And as you all know, with apple's late adopting trends, I highly doubt nehalem will be in either mb or mbp until mid-late 2010.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yeh, I was thinking of getting refurb BlackBook now, and get New Nehalem for November 2009

However, if their coming out Mid-Late 2010 which is around the time i Start University, (Im in college now, which is Grade 12 to 13 here in the UK) i think i might as well get a new Aluminium Macbook which would easily last me for 2 years and i could probably sell on the bay for a good price as well, then in 2010 i hopefukky get to University and then get a new Nehalem one.

What do you guys think, is it worth the investment to get Alubook now or get a refurb blackbook? Both need to last me two years

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Yep, true. And as you all know, with apple's late adopting trends, I highly doubt nehalem will be in either mb or mbp until mid-late 2010.

I agree. Apple has been months behind on releasing updated chips. What I did was buy the MacBook now and I can sell it before the Nehalem MacBooks get released which could be mid 2010. For me, the graphics card is the big deal. Not so much the processor.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Yeh, I was thinking of getting refurb BlackBook now, and get New Nehalem for November 2009

However, if their coming out Mid-Late 2010 which is around the time i Start University, (Im in college now, which is Grade 12 to 13 here in the UK) i think i might as well get a new Aluminium Macbook which would easily last me for 2 years and i could probably sell on the bay for a good price as well, then in 2010 i hopefukky get to University and then get a new Nehalem one.

What do you guys think, is it worth the investment to get Alubook now or get a refurb blackbook? Both need to last me two years

Definitely go with the 2.0 Al MacBook. It's a much better computer than the BlackBook, it will have a significantly higher resale value, and a refurb BlackBook won't be that much cheaper.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
sounds good to me. I'm going to use my Macbook until Nehalem comes out myself. Ohh and when choosing between Cambridge and Oxford choose Oxford. That's what I did best decision I ever made.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Hi Guys

Ive been waiting ages to get a New Macbook, but, as like some other people, accept for the GPU, the processor is still, relatively the same

So, should i fork out the Cash now, or wait till the possible Nehalem upgrade at the end of 2009 (Is it then or is it another date)

Also, my Cousin is an apple employee and there is no Apple employee discount?

I am in the same situation you're in... but i dont NEED it RIGHT NOW... so i'm going to wait until Nehalem comes out...

My advice is that you should do the same unless you absolutely have to have it right NOW!

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I am in the same situation you're in... but i dont NEED it RIGHT NOW... so i'm going to wait until Nehalem comes out...

My advice is that you should do the same unless you absolutely have to have it right NOW!

I Actually do need one now mate, as i have a crappy computer waiting for me at home and ive raised enough cash (partially from attaining good GCSE results) to get Parts to build a PC (around £800, dont worry im going to the States to get a Mac) but i think its better to get a Macbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.