PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy for a MBP / Pro Tools set-up??: Need HELP!

kucukbasak
Oct 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hey,

I'm on the verge of buying the new 17 inch MBP with the intention of buying an MBox Pro (and the PT LE that comes with it). I want to maximize the efficiency of everything i get.. this will include an external hard drive and anything else that i may need. i live in nashville and i'm going to be taking the producer/audio engineer route and what the best personal system i can get to do professional editing on my comp.

any suggestions on the specifications of the MBP? Should i go for the SSD? and which options should i select?

Also, should I do the Mbox Pro with the PT LE? or maybe something else... i know i need pro tools though, it's the industry standard in country music (would PT HD be overkill??)

Also, what external hard drive should i get?

is there anything i need to buy that i'm leaving out???

Any information would be great. I've had a very basic firefox, cubase le setup at home for a while but that's nothing compared to what i'm about to try to do.

Any suggestions and rules of thumb would really help me out.. I know this is a pretty loaded post... thanks!!

cschreppel
Oct 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
What's your budget?

junior
Oct 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
First of all, what exactly do you plan to do? Are you going to be recording? Recording what? Mixing?
If you've got the budget for a SSD, then I would suggest getting a normal internal drive and use that money elsewhere, though I can't make any recommendations without knowing what it is you'll be doing.
For external drives, I'd stay away from Lacie. Glyph is a very good company with good support. Might want to check them out.

kucukbasak
Oct 24, 2008, 05:05 PM
thanks for replying guys. i was planning on spending just under 4k for the macbook pro 17" with the upgrades except the ssd (yeah i guess it's not worth it.. and only 128 mb.. space is more important).

i'm going to be recording, starting off simple, singer songwriter stuff, vocals, guitar maybe a midi and eventually as i learn i'm going to get more complex, into bands and heavier mixing. So basically I want a pretty professional system that i can build on as my career moves forward.