PDA

View Full Version : lakers or kings?

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2002, 11:01 AM
so who do you think will take the western? LA lakers or sacramento kings?

personally, i think sac will step up but then lose to the new jersey nets in the nba finals

sac has all the elements of a great team, but they just don't have the ability to close out opportunities given to them like the great chicago bulls of recent vintage

the lakers look like an aging team past their prime and if somehow they get past the kings, they will get blown away by new jersey

shaq just looks slow and kobe is inconsistent...there is no questioning their individual talents, but every great player has their run and then they lose their edge

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 11:19 AM
i want sacramento to win. and then to win again.

just cause i don't like dynasties much. and i'm not big on the nets.

too bad the answer's not still in it.... ahh

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2002, 11:28 AM
sports dynasties are boring and i think the last one left is the new york yankees...they need to get a real salary cap going in baseball and then things will even out in that sport

once all team sports are evened out, there will be nothing to stop individual dynasties like tiger woods in golf or the williams sisters in tennis

i predict tiger will beat all of jack nicklaus' records and he will do it all before he turns 40

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 11:34 AM
i hate the yankees... yuck.

i am the next tiger says back-dawg... so how long before i beat tiger's records?? ha

King Cobra
Jun 2, 2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i hate the yankees... yuck.

Man, I guess you are not going to like my baseball cap collection. :)

Go Tiger! The only thing that scares me about him is when he is having a bad golf day and he completely drives one 300 yards in anger. That would be a lot like me. On a bad day, I'll do things my way.

Fear the King.

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 12:28 PM
I was going to go reawaken my thread on this subject, but I see jef' beat me to it.

I'm still pulling for the Lakers, even though I know they will have a tough game today.

The way I see it, both teams are pretty evenly matched (why else would this series have gone to 7 games, with so many games ending with point differences of -5?). I think it comes down to experience here, not just of the players, but also the coaches.

You can't deny that Phil Jackson knows how to coach a team to greatness. As we've seen with so many teams, individual talent only goes so far. The coach has to be the one to make the whole team come together. And in big situations, PJ knows how to get his players to come through.

Lakers by 3 today.

3rdpath
Jun 2, 2002, 12:47 PM
i'm not much of a sports fan but i'd rather the lakers not win.

for no other reason than having to watch the boneheads riot and burn cars here in l.a.

wheres a sniper when you need one?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 01:13 PM
I don't really watch bball, been to a few games, saw MJ play this year (3rd row on the floor, center court, fabulous seats). It just seems to me this year that there really isn't much hype or less emotion following the playoffs. I've usually seen or heard much more in previous years. Anyone else noticed this?

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i'm not much of a sports fan but i'd rather the lakers not win.

for no other reason than having to watch the boneheads riot and burn cars here in l.a.

wheres a sniper when you need one?

Did the LA fans do that last year?

Thing is with a dynasty, the fans get used to and don't act crazy every year their team wins.

Now the Avalanche fans last year...that was nuts...too bad they can't do it again this year. :p

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 2, 2002, 01:31 PM
Right now the Lakers have their backs to the wall. I think they will bounce back like all great teams do in the time of need. I say the lakers by 3. Go L.A.

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 11:32 PM
I'm not one to gloat and say "I told you so"...oh wait...nevermind, I am.

I told you so. :p

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 06:46 AM
Screw the Lakers. They're a bunch of overpriced playboys. Win or lose, I'll take the Celtics any day. Let the flames commence. :p

Macmaniac
Jun 3, 2002, 06:48 AM
Lakers won by 4:( I hate them, now for New Jersey to roll over them!

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 08:13 AM
The lakers are the best team in the NBA...They will dominate for years to come with the likes of Kobe and Shaq. Kobe is 23 and Shaq is 29. That is a dynasty baby.....yippie

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ThinkpadsRule
The lakers are the best team in the NBA...They will dominate for years to come with the likes of Kobe and Shaq. Kobe is 23 and Shaq is 29. That is a dynasty baby.....yippie

I disliked you before with all of the bashing, but now I hate you. Piss off, troll.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 08:32 AM
Ha, thinkpadsrule new approach on how to win over and influence people.....

You're off to a good start their boy-o, you might want to tone down your enthusiasm before you'll be abused before you even post a reply to a thread.

Macmaniac
Jun 3, 2002, 10:49 AM

I thought I couldn't hate you more but, I hate even more than I used to, and that only took 4 hours! Nets will beat shaq and kobe's A$$!!

No one likes you get out troll!

Rower_CPU
Jun 3, 2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Screw the Lakers. They're a bunch of overpriced playboys. Win or lose, I'll take the Celtics any day. Let the flames commence. :p

You do know that Boston lost to New Jersey last week, right?

Kinda tough to beat the Lakers if you never get to play them.;)

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

You do know that Boston lost to New Jersey last week, right?

Kinda tough to beat the Lakers if you never get to play them.;)

Hence the "win or lose" part of the post. Just voicing my general disdain for the Lakers. And the Pistons and the Knicks, while I'm at it. I'll probably be pulling for the Nets, but I can't say I'm pleased about it. Oh well...

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:33 AM
I don't need you guys to like me. I will speak my opinion and laugh at you idiots as you post a reply. I think the lakers are the best team in the NBA so what. That's no reason to bash me. You guys are bashing me b/c I will speak the truth. Something most of you hate to hear. Yeah I called your beloved tibook ( I have one) a slowerbook so what. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I tell you what go get one of your belove tibooks ( the 800 Mhz model) and go buy the thinkpad T30 and run some tests. You will get the picture. Have any of you read the articles on barefeats. I guess you decide to pretend that site doesn't exist since you have those blindfolds on.

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 11:36 AM
so I'm thinking I was one of the few people who could have cared less about the games?

I didn't watch any of it...and to be honest....I didn't really know they were even playing until the other night...

britboy
Jun 3, 2002, 11:48 AM

It takes more than two players to make a good team, does it not? Who's to say that one or both of the players you named (who are they btw? ;)) will not sign for another team?

You're just hoping they'll dominate. You're probably the same as Man Utd. supporters, a glory hunter. :D:D:D

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:53 AM
The lakers are going for their 3rd straight title and the 2 guys I mentioned are both under long term contracts. So I presume they will be on the team for many years to come. I have been a laker fan all my life so yes I am a little zealous about them.

britboy
Jun 3, 2002, 12:03 PM
So they've won the past two season... past success is no guarantee of a rosy future.

I've never been much interested in a pansy sport like basketball anyway. Rugby... now *that's* something to get excited about :)

Rower_CPU
Jun 3, 2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by britboy
It takes more than two players to make a good team, does it not? Who's to say that one or both of the players you named (who are they btw? ;)) will not sign for another team?...

Yes, it does take more than two players to make a good team. The Lakers have two superstars in Shaq and Kobe, and a large supporting cast of players: Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Lindsey Hunter, etc.

But the biggest thing they have going for them is Phil Jackson as a coach. He has the experience of coaching the Bulls to all those championships. He knows how to handle the superstar players and make the entire team work together.

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 12:11 PM
Right on Rower

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 12:23 PM

But the biggest thing they have going for them is Phil Jackson as a coach. He has the experience of coaching the Bulls to all those championships. He knows how to handle the superstar players and make the entire team work together.

all flaming aside...this I will agree upon...I did watch the Bulls win several of their titles in the past years...more from the excitement of seeing Michael Jordan play...esp. that game where he was sick as hell and ended up winning the game...but Phil Jackson is one hell of a coach...

just goes to show....from what I do remember...the Lakers weren't doing much up till recently...were they not?

correct me if I'm wrong...just be gentle...;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 3, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
all flaming aside...this I will agree upon...I did watch the Bulls win several of their titles in the past years...more from the excitement of seeing Michael Jordan play...esp. that game where he was sick as hell and ended up winning the game...but Phil Jackson is one hell of a coach...

just goes to show....from what I do remember...the Lakers weren't doing much up till recently...were they not?

correct me if I'm wrong...just be gentle...;)

The Lakers were NBA champs the last two years. The Kings had the best record overall this year and were expected to beat LA. So, yes and no...they weren't stellar during the regular season, but they've stepped it up in the playoffs, as all great teams do.

meta-ghost
Jun 3, 2002, 12:35 PM
The Kings lost to an 8 man press (5 Lakers and 3 refs).

Rower_CPU
Jun 3, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by meta-ghost
The Kings lost to an 8 man press (5 Lakers and 3 refs).

If you're asking for a flamewar you'll have one shortly...

Complaining about refs is nothing more than denial that your team lost.

The Kings lost because they couldn't hit a ******** free throw to save their lives...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 12:42 PM

The Lakers were NBA champs the last two years. The Kings had the best record overall this year and were expected to beat LA. So, yes and no...they weren't stellar during the regular season, but they've stepped it up in the playoffs, as all great teams do.

i wouldn't say the kings were "expected" to beat them in anyone's book..

most people recognized la's experience and ability to turn it up in the playoffs. but most also realized that if anyone was going to beat the lakers, it was the kings.

the nets have no chance.

i wish the kings would have won, but i saw most of the game and the whole "8 man press" thing is not right. there were tough calls both ways. that's all. that's how it goes.

the kings lost, they didn't get hosed by the refs. if anything. peja freaking stojacovich should have hit his wide open 3 and won it in regulation.. but no. air ball.

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 12:50 PM
To blame a loss on the ref's is not accepting bad play and placing blame on someone or something else other than what is was. The Kings lost b/c they played a better team.
Eye....before the past 2 years the Lakers lost in the first or second round the 2 years prior to their championship run. They last went to the championship in '91 and lost to the bulls. Magic Johnson was there then.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 12:53 PM
I personally don't get overly excited about whether a team wins or loses a game. Who said it? 'On any given day, any team can beat another' And that's pretty much true. You guys are getting all worked up over this for what?

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 12:54 PM
I'll partly agree on both sides here...

bad play is bad play....period.

if a team is having a bad day/night...they aren't helping themselves much...

however...

I have seen more than a handful of NFL games where the officials made the absolute worst calls I've ever seen...and in doing so...they made it very difficult for the teams to make any progress...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 12:59 PM
I have seen more than a handful of NFL games where the officials made the absolute worst calls I've ever seen...and in doing so...they made it very difficult for the teams to make any progress...

Absolutely, they can't see everything, so if their having a bad day, they're going to miss a lot. Even with video playback, its not perfect, and its all part of the game. It is sad though, when this happens in final or key games, where the call effects who wins or loses and it comes into question.

Rower_CPU
Jun 3, 2002, 01:02 PM
I agree that refs, on occasion, determine the outcome of a game.

But the fact is that they didn't in this instance. The game was the Kings' to win or lose...and they lost.

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 01:07 PM
I don't need you guys to like me. I will speak my opinion and laugh at you idiots as you post a reply. I think the lakers are the best team in the NBA so what. That's no reason to bash me. You guys are bashing me b/c I will speak the truth. Something most of you hate to hear. Yeah I called your beloved tibook ( I have one) a slowerbook so what. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I tell you what go get one of your belove tibooks ( the 800 Mhz model) and go buy the thinkpad T30 and run some tests. You will get the picture. Have any of you read the articles on barefeats. I guess you decide to pretend that site doesn't exist since you have those blindfolds on.

Let me ask you a question, my friend. Didn't anyone ever tell you that, most of the time, it's not what you say but how you say it? No one on this board will ever deny you your right to speak your opinion. Still, it might be in your best interest to phrase that opinion a bit more carefully. Remember that this is a Mac-centric community, and post with that in mind. I'm sure that your Thinkpad is just great, but it really doesn't matter all that much to me as a Mac user. You getting the picture?

Like I said, speak your mind. Speak it freely and with passion. But always remember to speak it with tact and respect as well. Most of the members here hold themselves to this same standard, and so should you out of respect for them.

And now I will share my opinion. You are an *******. A big one. Crawl back under your rock and take your Thinkpad with you. Yeah, it's hypocritical, but it feels so good. :)

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I personally don't get overly excited about whether a team wins or loses a game. Who said it? 'On any given day, any team can beat another' And that's pretty much true. You guys are getting all worked up over this for what?

Vince Lombardi, duke. Vince Lombardi.

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 01:15 PM
And now I will share my opinion. You are an *******. A big one. Crawl back under your rock and take your Thinkpad with you. Yeah, it's hypocritical, but it feels so good. :)

let's not get too heated over this guy...

he's doing it all on purpose...he's probably a cousin of gocyrus...;)

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 01:17 PM

let's not get too heated over this guy...

he's doing it all on purpose...he's probably a cousin of gocyrus...;)

I'll leave him be for now thanks to the GoCyrus reference. ;)

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 3, 2002, 01:20 PM
You just converted to mac... so what makes you so overheated.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 01:21 PM

Vince Lombardi, duke. Vince Lombardi.

Thanks, I wasn't sure and if I tried to figure it out I'd not have picked vince, so I tried to play it safe.....

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I wasn't sure and if I tried to figure it out I'd not have picked vince, so I tried to play it safe.....

he he he...sometimes it's much better to play it safe than sorry...

nothing worse than making yourself look like a complete dumb@ss...not that I've ever done it...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 01:26 PM

nothing worse than making yourself look like a complete dumb@ss...

I do it often enough, I've learned, sometimes, to check what I say. I still have a huge problem with Venezuela*and mymemory, I keep getting my facts wrong, don't know why....

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 01:27 PM
You just converted to mac... so what makes you so overheated.

Well at least you do your homework. To answer your question, it's not an issue of Macs in specific. My real problem is with your obvious flame baiting. You HAVE to know that this is a mac board (what with it being macrumors and all), and you still go around picking fights and trashing Macs. Instead of commenting on a speed gap and questioning its origins, you come up with clever nicknames. It's really quite assinine. Using inflamatory language to make a mundane point seems to be a passtime that, despite your short time here, you've developed a penchant for. You've already drawn comparisons to GoCyrus (not a good thing). Just calm down and try to be more respectful, that's all I'm saying. Oh, and welcome to Macrumors. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 01:29 PM
My real problem is with your obvious flame baiting.

Lets not take the bait and move on with the thread here about Basketball, not the thread that already got closed down becuase of overheating, ok?

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 01:30 PM

I do it often enough, I've learned, sometimes, to check what I say. I still have a huge problem with Venezuela*and mymemory, I keep getting my facts wrong, don't know why....

ha ha ha :D

I did see that one last week...no worries...unless u start confusing the people here with those in your real life...I'd say u have nothing to worry about ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 01:42 PM
I agree that refs, on occasion, determine the outcome of a game.

But the fact is that they didn't in this instance. The game was the Kings' to win or lose...and they lost.

true dat. how did whitey from euroland miss that wide open 3 pointer?

that's what killed them.. i mean, it would've won it for them almost guaranteed.

he should've at least caught some rim!

dumb honkey.

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 01:50 PM

Lets not take the bait and move on with the thread here about Basketball, not the thread that already got closed down becuase of overheating, ok?

We're cool. I even welcomed the guy. :) As for the topic, I really don't think that the Nets are much of a match for the Lakers or any other Western Conference team. In general, the West plays a fundamentally better game than the East. The Kings would have done just as well against Jersey. Jason Kidd can only carry them for so long. There's no way he can do it to the Lakers.