PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2.8Ghz MBP worth it?

lucasmath
Oct 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have a large budget to purchase a laptop for work. So I can spend the extra $450 for he 2.8GHz. But is it worth it? Will this decrease battery life in general? Will the machine run hotter? I'm just curious.

techound1
Oct 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
Well... You could use some of that large budget to get a second battery if you need to be super mobile with it.

The new design is also supposed to (among other things) help dissipate heat more, so ideally it's not an issue.

lucasmath
Oct 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I'll be getting an extra battery too.

emt1
Oct 21, 2008, 04:23 PM
NOT worth it unless you are doing some really CPU demanding computing. Trust me on this one.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 21, 2008, 04:27 PM
Just, FYI, I can get an entire laptop for $450...

emt1
Oct 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
How much more would you have to pay for the 2.8Ghz upgrade?

virtuatony
Oct 21, 2008, 04:45 PM
The battery life will be unchanged, and the heat will be the same.

lucasmath
Oct 21, 2008, 06:04 PM
NOT worth it unless you are doing some really CPU demanding computing. Trust me on this one.

Yes, but I have the money now and not later. Will the computer still be relatively fast for longer if I buy something with more Ghz?

Umbongo
Oct 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
Yes, but I have the money now and not later. Will the computer still be relatively fast for longer if I buy something with more Ghz?

It will make no difference in that respect. The faster processor saves you time (10% theoretically) spent waiting for processor intensive tasks to finish. You shouldn't come across any software in the future where the 2.8GHz will be "fast" and the 2.53GHz won't.

lucasmath
Oct 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
It will make no difference in that respect. The faster processor saves you time (10% theoretically) spent waiting for processor intensive tasks to finish. You shouldn't come across any software in the future where the 2.8GHz will be "fast" and the 2.53GHz won't.

So why should I get the 2.53Ghz vs the 2.4Ghz then? The difference there is even smaller. It seems like the upper configurations are just ways to get us to spend more money.

Digital Skunk
Oct 21, 2008, 06:34 PM

What will you be using the machine for?

If you are going to be running 5 or more productivity apps like web browsers, MS Office apps, iCal, Address book, iTunes etc. then NO you won't need the 2.8GHz. Spend it somewhere else or for up-to-date apps or RAM, or bigger HDD, or a bag or.... so forth and so on.

If you are going to be running core aware applications that take a good chunk of your CPU to run like DVD Studio Pro, Compressor, any Adobe CS3 apps, Logic Pro, etc. or if you plan on ripping/encoding/decoding tons of DVDs then yes, you will benefit.

If you buy a faster machine now thinking it will give you the feeling of it NOT being obsolete in 2 years then get it if you want, but either way in about a year your machine will be slow since processors just don't get faster, they change completely. By this time next year, the Front Side Bus is supposed to be obsolete and mobile quad cores will be hitting the streets.

There you have it.

thegoldenmackid
Oct 21, 2008, 06:34 PM
So why should I get the 2.53Ghz vs the 2.4Ghz then? The difference there is even smaller. It seems like the upper configurations are just ways to get us to spend more money.

Yes, that is the point of capitalism. Is the 2.8ghz worth it, it really depend on your habbits. Chances are if you opt for it you won't regret it, I mean if you have the money.

Kane.Elson
Oct 21, 2008, 06:42 PM
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-pro-28ghz-performance/ is the best benchmark I have seen so far on the different macbook pros. As you can see the 2.8 isn't blow your mind away fast but it is consistently measurably faster than the other models. I would personally get the 2.8 if you can afford it (I did) ;)

bug
Oct 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Just, FYI, I can get an entire laptop for $450...

I can get an entire car for $450. Maybe even a car and a new hat. Then I'll be the talk of the town!

I'd get the 2.8. "Worth" is a relative term. From a practical standpoint I doubt it is worth it, but I'd still get it.

...keep in mind I'm rocking a 1.67 G4 PB still, so I would like to live vicariously through you, and thus, would like you to get the 2.8.

:D