PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

Ensign Paris
Jun 2, 2002, 12:42 PM
I am not sure if this will interest Americans (Do you like Soccer?)

but anyway, who do you think will win?

I would start a poll but I would probably cut out someones team and they would get mad with me :)

Anyway, I hope England (Svengland) will win, I am not sure if we but if we go out my interest will drop in football till the Euro cup in 2004 :)

Ensign

britboy
Jun 2, 2002, 12:50 PM
Well this morning was a major disappointment :( Was that the best we could do?

I'm not sure england will qualify from the group we've got, so you may find yourself losing interest in the WM pretty soon ensign. I'll still be rooting for spain though (my adopted second country :)).

Argentina are my favourites to win it this time round. They're a class team, and will take quite some beating.

Macmaniac
Jun 2, 2002, 12:52 PM
Who won? Did England win or lose? Man that France Senegal match was crazy! My teachers in school are all watching the World Cup, During class time!!!

britboy
Jun 2, 2002, 12:55 PM
Neither. England drew 1-1 with sweden... :mad:

In the other match in our group, argetina beat nigeria 1-0. That was a close one!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 01:09 PM
Well, the US doesn't play its first game till later this week. There's been a lot of press about the US team (relative to the others, but that should be expected). I'm just hoping they make it through the first set of games and clinch their group, and they only have South Korea, Poland and Portugal, not exactly heavy hitters (what's up with that?)

Ouch for England this morning, but its better than loosing to Senegal, France is really hurting and their next game with Uruguray should be really intense, both teams need the win to stay in. And don't count England out, if they can win all the rest of their games they sould have no problem securing their group.

LethalWolfe
Jun 2, 2002, 01:16 PM
I'd like to see the US make it to the next round. I think we can take Poland. But the S. Koreans are gonna be pumped w/home field advantage. And Portugal well... Hopefully there'll be some underestimation of the US squad and that'll give'em the edge they need to make some upsets.

EDIT: Dukestreet, Portugal is ranked 5th in the world by FIFA. US is 13th BTW.

Lethal

BTW I don't care if I live in America or not IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL DAMNIT, NOT SOCCER!!! ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 01:20 PM
the us will follow in other us teams' footsteps and embarrass themselves.

one time i was in germany and me and my bro convinced some young kid that we were on the us soccer team. i think i was tab ramos...

ha

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 05:46 AM
It wouldn't shock me at all to see Italy win it all. They've got the best goalie in the world. The Ireland-Cameroon match was pretty good on Saturday. Both of those squads looked good, and will probably advance from their region. Cameroon has been on fire lately. Still, I'd like to see the English win it. Premier League started me on soccer (MAN U FOR LIFE) and it'd be nice to see them do well just for nostalgia's sake.

britboy
Jun 3, 2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
The Ireland-Cameroon match was pretty good on Saturday. Both of those squads looked good, and will probably advance from their region. Cameroon has been on fire lately.

I think you're forgetting that germany are in the same group as those two, and won their first match 8-0 (ok, saudi arabia aren't exactly a major force in football, but hey, 8 goals is good!). It's a shame ireland have sent home Roy Keane... (you should know him, being a fan of the dreaded red devils and all :D)

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by britboy
I think you're forgetting that germany are in the same group as those two, and won their first match 8-0 (ok, saudi arabia aren't exactly a major force in football, but hey, 8 goals is good!). It's a shame ireland have sent home Roy Keane... (you should know him, being a fan of the dreaded red devils and all :D)

Oh my, you're right. I did forget all about Germany. I suppose I should pull for my homeland and all. As for Keane...heh. Damn shame about him going home. Ireland made a bad decision there. Oh, and do I detect a bit of distaste with my Premier team of choice? If so it's quite alright...as long as you're not one of those damned Arsenal fans. ;)

Beej
Jun 3, 2002, 06:55 AM
Who will win?

AUSTRALIA!

What's that? Oh yeah... we didn't get in :(

Oh well. I'll put my money on Man U. :D

britboy
Jun 3, 2002, 08:00 AM

Oh, and do I detect a bit of distaste with my Premier team of choice? If so it's quite alright...as long as you're not one of those damned Arsenal fans. ;)

as a matter of fact..... :D

garybUK
Jun 3, 2002, 08:15 AM
Hey,

Nice to see some Man U Fans!!! I originally come from Manchester :P I have season tickets to Old Trafford :) .. I don't think England will win it, but i think they will go through this round.....

In England we are still "High" on the 1-5 win against Germany and its on all the 7 sports channels on SKY like every day!

Oh well... Good Luck every country :P

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 08:22 AM

as a matter of fact..... :D

And here I was starting to like you. Damn shame really... ;)

Macmaniac
Jun 3, 2002, 10:51 AM
As long as England advances I will be happy! They are in a really tough group! I wish they had not tied!

iGav
Jun 3, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by garybUK
Hey,
In England we are still "High" on the 1-5 win against Germany and its on all the 7 sports channels on SKY like every day!

England are still on a high about 1966...... :rolleyes: :p

It pains me to say it, but personally.... I don't think England have a chance........ :(

I reckon it'll be either Italy, France or Argentina.........

But hey... what do I know about football....... I support Coventry City....... :D

mymemory
Jun 3, 2002, 03:43 PM
Hey, the worldcup is nothing without Brazil, of course they are gonna win again. I would like to see the US playing.

guv
Jun 3, 2002, 04:32 PM
italy will win, beating brazil in the final, france will draw with denmark and get left behind. england will be folly to argentain who will loose to brazil.....

but dam scotland rnt in it

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 08:25 PM
USA, USA!

how did they beat portugal? man.... they must've bribed them or something

those silly yankees were supposed to get housed!

USA! USA!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
USA, USA!

how did they beat portugal? man.... they must've bribed them or something

those silly yankees were supposed to get housed!

USA! USA!

Whoo hoo, I'm sorry I missed the game, I forgot about it and found out at work. If we can beat South Korea next we can probably make it into the next round, but they might have home field advantage, and a crazy crowd to cheer them on.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

If we can beat South Korea next we

you joined the team? man, you sure do it all....

ahh, i think they'll blow it, as usual.

and i forgot about it too. i'll try to catch the next one. what day is it?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 09:25 PM

and i forgot about it too. i'll try to catch the next one. what day is it?

Monday morning, the 10th, 2:30 AM

Friends of mine are going to a party that morning, might have to go myself, but work will be tough later....

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 09:26 PM
a party in the morning.

interesting.

why would work be tough later eh???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Jun 5, 2002, 10:13 PM
Knowing I would miss "both" US matches (live and taped) I set my VCR to tape it in the AM. Well... my dumbass tape ABC, not ESPN2. Perfect end to a perfect day.

I can't be to upset though, since the US ********* won baby! I know the US isn't a world football power yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Lethal

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:36 PM
Well, we did win the world cup, once. I think it was in '36....

we've just had a dry spell;)

britboy
Jun 6, 2002, 06:14 AM
Well, we did win the world cup, once. I think it was in '36....

we've just had a dry spell;)

Sorry? Which world cup would you be talking about? Certaintly not the football (soccer to you) world cup. For one, there wasn't one in 1936, and for another, america have yet to win it.

Now England on the other hand.... :rolleyes: :p

Tiauguinho
Jun 6, 2002, 07:01 AM
Congratulations to all of you Americans. Ok... It's not nice to loose but I have to admit that we did get our ass kicked. I don't know what happened to our team, I don't even know what happened to Figo, our Rui Costa, well... the whole team!!!! But you did win by 3-2. Congratulations. It's all I can say...

The Bender
Jun 6, 2002, 07:51 AM
Well, I'm suffering over here with nowhere to see the games. In Israel, the WC is only carried on one channel, which almost noone gets, and is pay-to-view on top of the subscription price! Could go to a bar or cofee shop, but with one small problem: Jerusalem is full of Argentinians! The only thing worse than losing to Argentina is losing to them in front of a crowd of their supporters. And winning in front of their supporters could turn out even worse!

Can't even get radio coverage over the interweb thanks to 'legal issues'. Best is minute-by-minute text coverage! No thanks. Surely the next step in media piracy will be somone streaming pay-to-view channels. Gimme!

My only other option is my Russian friend with a dodgy Russian satellite channel. Used to be able to get some stuff on Jordan TV, but can't pick up their signal any more, and they've scrapped one of their channels anyway.

Moan! Whinge!

p.s. nice to see that, true to form, none of the Man U supporters live in Manchester!:rolleyes: ;) :p

The Bender
Jun 6, 2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by The Bender
nowhere to see the games... Argentina

Well, I neglected to check in my wallowing! It turns out that England v Argentina is one of the select few games that are actually being aired on good old-fashioned terrestrial TV! I was just informed by an Argentinian colleague who doesn't want me to miss the opportunity to watch his team kick my team's ass.

Of course, we will win. Unless they use their hands.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 08:55 AM
I'm still debating whether or not to go to a friends party on monday morning for the US vs. S. Korea game. 2:30 in the morning is not a good time to start, but if I went to bed early and got up around 2 so I had some sleep, it might work.

If we pull off a win agianst Korea, we will get into the second round :D I just hope they don't choke and act more like our Olympic team did this winter.....

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:18 AM
I just hope they don't choke and act more like our Olympic team did this winter.....

oh, "we" will choke alright.

it's our nature.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:20 AM
I don't know, we might pull another bit of magic out of our a$$es....

so you're a 1/2 empty guy, right?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:24 AM
I don't know, we might pull another bit of magic out of our a$$es....

so you're a 1/2 empty guy, right?

no, i just like to make fun of america's soccer team.

now, if you were to start some talk about our chances to win the curling gold in 2006.... then i'd be overflowing!

seriously though, when did you join the team?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:28 AM
Team USA, I'm an American, not everyone on the boards is, so I'm making the association to support my team, you don't like that, I'll start calling you a commie!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:32 AM
commie it is. i had a russian teacher. he was cool. he defected. soviet union had very big little problem with communism he said.

nah, i think the us will get out of the first round this time. i wonder who they'd play in the second round.

ok.... i'm feeling it........ us will win the whole thing! ahhh..

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:44 AM
Considering we've not won since 36, I'd say we were due. I'd love to know the story behind that win, though. Were there a lot of immigrants due to the problems in Europe and we ended up with a killer team? Or did we somehow manage it all by our selves.

Anyone know anything about that?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:45 AM
Considering we've not won since 36, I'd say we were due. I'd love to know the story behind that win, though. Were there a lot of immigrants due to the problems in Europe and we ended up with a killer team? Or did we somehow manage it all by our selves.

Anyone know anything about that?

can you address britboy's post at the top of page 2? he claims there was no cup in 36. he is still pissed about... well.... 1776!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:54 AM

can you address britboy's post at the top of page 2? he claims there was no cup in 36. he is still pissed about... well.... 1776!

Well, he's right. I got my info from a friend who said that only 6 teams had ever won, and we did in 36. So obviously he was misinformed, which surprises me, because he loves soccer. Oh well, sorry for the miss quote. Maybe he was thinking of the Olympics, who knows.

For those who want to know the history of champs,

Year Winner Loser Score Location
1998* France* Brazil* 3-0* France *
1994* Brazil* Italy* 0-0 (3-2 SO)* United States *
1990* West Germany* Argentina* 1-0* Italy *
1986* Argentina* West Germany* 3-2* Mexico *
1982* Italy* West Germany* 3-1* Spain *
1978* Argentina* Holland* 3-1 (ET)* Argentina *
1974* West Germany* Holland* 2-1* West Germany *
1970* Brazil* Italy* 4-1* Mexico *
1966* England* West Germany* 4-2 (ET)* England *
1962* Brazil* Czechoslovakia* 3-1* Chile *
1958* Brazil* Sweden* 5-2* Sweden *
1954* West Germany* Hungary* 3-2* Switzerland *
1950* Uruguay* Brazil* 2-1* Brazil *
1938* Italy* Hungary* 4-2* France *
1934* Italy* Czechoslovakia* 2-1 (ET)* Italy *
1930* Uruguay* Argentina* 4-2* Uruguay *

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:58 AM
Well, he's right. I got my info from a friend who said that only 6 teams had ever won, and we did in 36. So obviously he was misinformed, which surprises me, because he loves soccer. Oh well, sorry for the miss quote. Maybe he was thinking of the Olympics, who knows.

clearly this person is your friend no more, eh?

ahh. long live the pathetic american soccer team.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:59 AM
well, we can always hope, can't we. It is interesting to see how many teams that host the game actually won, so that doesn't bode well for us in our match on Monday.

britboy
Jun 6, 2002, 10:24 AM

ahh. long live the pathetic american soccer team.

ha ha ha!!! :D

The 1936 Olympic gold winner in the football competition were Italy. Austria were there runners up. My guess is your friend was high at t the time Duke :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 10:30 AM
well, I'm going to go have a talk with him and see what he was smoking. Maybe come on the thread and make a formal apology....:D

Thanks for showing me I was wrong...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 10:32 AM
well, I'm going to go have a talk with him and see what he was smoking. Maybe come on the thread and make a formal apology....:D

yeah, i'm sure he'll care a whole lot to apologize a bunch of geeks/nerds.

your friend has better things to do. like smoke more drugs and make wild stories up about the amazing, dominant us soccer team!

britboy
Jun 6, 2002, 10:32 AM

Thanks for showing me I was wrong...

No really, the pleasure was all mine ;) :D

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 06:30 AM
Ooohh, the excitement of it all! England's match against argentina is just about to kick off. This is going to be the match of the tournament so far, without a doubt.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

I've decided to be patriotic today :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 07:21 AM
Ooohh, the excitement of it all! England's match against argentina is just about to kick off. This is going to be the match of the tournament so far, without a doubt.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

I've decided to be patriotic today :D

I didn't realize this was such a big game, this from cnnsi.com

'Drawn together in the so-called "Group of Death", Argentina and England's first round clash at the World Cup is the latest episode in one of football's longest-running rivalries.'

Good luck.

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks!

We beat them 1 - 0!!! That's just made my day. :D :D :D

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 08:39 AM
COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS COMING HOME!!!! :-)

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 08:41 AM
were is australia in this nowhere cause they suck
they have someof the best players but they just can't connect as a side, Its really dissaponting
they have harry kewel but he never plays good

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 08:45 AM
Looks like England might make it to the next round...

Now if Sweden can somehow knock Argentina out, that would be great...

Macmaniac
Jun 7, 2002, 08:49 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS ENGLAND WON!!!!!! Now if they beat Nigeria then we wil be on to the next round!!!!!!!
COME ON SWEDEN BEAT ARGENTINA!!!!

Ensign Paris
Jun 7, 2002, 08:54 AM
1-0! I am sOOOOOOO HAPPY! It kind of makes up for my TiBook going to germany for repairs today :(

Ensign

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 09:00 AM
did anyone watch the sweden and spain match
it was a good one
and england suck :)

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 09:01 AM
Looks like England might make it to the next round...

Now if Sweden can somehow knock Argentina out, that would be great...

Anything but victory against sweden will see argentina, the pre-tournament favourites, knocked out in the first round :D

As for england, a draw against nigeria -already out- is all we need to be certain of progressing.

Revenge is sweet. We beat them in the war, and now we beat them on the football-field :p

Mac15~ you're just jealous because australia didn't win the play-off :D

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 09:07 AM
nxt world cup austarlia will win the oceana league and qualify for the first time since 1968
muuhahahah
:D

Ensign Paris
Jun 7, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by mac15
did anyone watch the sweden and spain match
it was a good one
and england suck :)

Ah! Australia is CRAP (no offence to the other australians, only offence to mac15), sure it might be a nice sport but we could beat them any day, anywhere (at football :))

When did Sweden play Spain? That wasn't in this WC cause they are not in our group, although it could have been a warm up.

Ensign

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 09:29 AM
yeah australia suck
as for ths spain and sweden match I got it mixed up and my bro said it was them 2 but it was different it was spain and paraguay 3-1

Ensign Paris
Jun 7, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sorry for calling Australia crap, they are not, u don't know how hard it was 4 me to say that :)

I am very defensive about the UK at the moment cause we are for some reason (mainly the World Cup and Jubillee) coming togethor as a country,

Ensign

iGav
Jun 7, 2002, 10:08 AM
Stonking match........... :D ;) :p

Must say...... like britboy revenge is sweet......... :p :p :p

To celebrate and to be patriotic I'm going to go and get myself a Hoxton Fin....... :D

The possibility of France and Argentina out in the first round..... heh heh heh :p :p :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
The possibility of France and Argentina out in the first round..... heh heh heh :p :p :p

That would truly be an amazing thing, shake the whole Cup up. The only problem I have with the WC is that it takes for ever to get through all the games in the first round. We don't even play our second game till Monday and by then some of the second round slots will have been assured in other groups.

The Bender
Jun 7, 2002, 12:35 PM
The possibility of France and Argentina out in the first round.....

Heh heh heh... then we'll just have to get rid of Germany! :D

elgruga
Jun 7, 2002, 12:48 PM
England just out-played and out-strategised Argentina - it was a joy to watch!

This world cup is wide open, and England are among the favourites - be great if they could meet the USA in the final.
.......and beat them, of course!

In fact, England just beat the favourites - doesnt that mean that England are now the favourites to win it all?

elgruga
Jun 7, 2002, 12:51 PM
Forgot to congratulate the USA on a superb win over Portugal - well done Yanks!

I hope the USA make it further - be great for "soccer" in the USA (and Canada )

iGav
Jun 8, 2002, 05:47 AM

That would truly be an amazing thing, shake the whole Cup up. The only problem I have with the WC is that it takes for ever to get through all the games in the first round. We don't even play our second game till Monday and by then some of the second round slots will have been assured in other groups.

I know what you mean... 5 days between matches is a long time. :rolleyes:

Heh heh heh... then we'll just have to get rid of Germany!

Now if it could be a England Vs Germany final....... man it'd be wild....... the rate of absenteeism yesterday was huge amongst English workers..... in the millions...... if it was an England-Germany final... the entire country would grind to a halt around tv screens...... as we beat them 5-1 again....... ;) :p

England just out-played and out-strategised Argentina - it was a joy to watch!

This world cup is wide open, and England are among the favourites - be great if they could meet the USA in the final.
.......and beat them, of course!

In fact, England just beat the favourites - doesnt that mean that England are now the favourites to win it all?

It was such a cool match... and to be honest it should have been 3-0 what with Owen just missing, and then Sheringhams volley in the second half..... the last 15 minutes though was nail biting...... you ought to have heard the BBC commentators......... you could hear their nail offcuts dropping to the floor..... :p

Are we favourites now.... well I'd say we're up there.........

Forgot to congratulate the USA on a superb win over Portugal - well done Yanks!

I hope the USA make it further - be great for "soccer" in the USA (and Canada

Absolutely... kudos to the states for whipping the Portugal boys......... I'm actually really surprised by the amount of americans watching it...... I never thought football was particularly big over there...... maybe the tide is changing....... ;) That said, when I was in San-francisco I had a kick aroundwith some guys down by the Bay front, and they were pretty solid with a football........

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by elgruga
I hope the USA make it further - be great for "soccer" in the USA (and Canada )

you mean, "america, jr"?

The Bender
Jun 8, 2002, 07:49 AM
Are we favourites now.... well I'd say we're up there.....

Yeah, what with Italy bombing out to Croatia, I reckon we're in with a chance. Pity China couldn't have knocked a few past Brazil, but that would be taking a good thing too far!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 08:37 AM
Italy losing to Croatia totally messes things up in that group. If Croatia can win against Ecuador they go to the next round and Italy and Mexico go head to head, one will be knocked out. That means that we might actually get a better chance to move ahead to the quarter finals (not that its a given) but it does make it more exciting. I'd rather see the US play Croatia then Italy or Mexico....

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 08:45 AM
That means that we might actually get a better chance to move ahead to the quarter finals (not that its a given) but it does make it more exciting. I'd rather see the US play Croatia then Italy or Mexico....

I'd like to see it happen. The US has improved vastly in the past decade, and will probably win the WC within the next 3 or 4 tournaments. It's not really surprising, given the sheer weight of numbers that you can put in ;)

To correct a mistake from earlier: The USA reached the semi-finals back in 1930, their best tournament so far.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 08:51 AM
To correct a mistake from earlier: The USA reached the semi-finals back in 1930, their best tournament so far.

Wasn't that '36?

I'd love to see them get there this time. I'm thinking the next 3 or 4 tournaments might actually be right - but you never know - if we can only keep the momentum that long.

The Olympics will help too.

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 08:58 AM

Wasn't that '36?

I'd love to see them get there this time. I'm thinking the next 3 or 4 tournaments might actually be right - but you never know - if we can only keep the momentum that long.

The Olympics will help too.

You can check the fifa archives. the link (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/pf/h/pwc/r/1930.html)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 09:11 AM

You can check the fifa archives. the link (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/pf/h/pwc/r/1930.html)

damn, britboy, do I have to put a ;) or:rolleyes: after every taunt. We went back and forth on that '36 thing for several posts, I was just trying to give you crap....oh well....guess you brits don't understand subtle humor.....;)

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 09:24 AM

damn, britboy, do I have to put a ;) or:rolleyes: after every taunt. We went back and forth on that '36 thing for several posts, I was just trying to give you crap....oh well....guess you brits don't understand subtle humor.....;)

I realised once i'd posted that this was something we'd covered.... my bad :p

I'm kind of distracted here... wasn't paying full attention. It's the final between the Williams sisters in Paris.

ponyboy
Jun 8, 2002, 09:54 AM
It wouldn't shock me at all to see Italy win it all. They've got the best goalie in the world.

They way he stared at the ball as Croatia made their last goal im not so sure about that.

Being an American in Italy my alliegence is divided I would like to see them both in it, America for patriotic reasons Italy for party reasons, at least with the loss today and americas win the chances are slim that they will meet in the first round

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 10:52 AM
Well, we're still not in the second round, damn.

USA tied Korea this morning. So we have to hope that Portugal kicks their @ss on Friday and we at least tie Poland. Its going to be tight

britboy
Jun 10, 2002, 11:17 AM
Well, we're still not in the second round, damn.

USA tied Korea this morning. So we have to hope that Portugal kicks their @ss on Friday and we at least tie Poland. Its going to be tight

Have no fear. Poland completely capitulated when faced with anything resembling a quality ball today. Your guys will wipe the floor with them, i don't doubt it.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 12:33 PM
I hope so. I didn't watch the game, but heard is was a good one. Good show for Korea, it would be cool to see them as a host country get into the second round. But my guess is they will have even slimmer chances of winner on passed to the quarters then the USA would.

LethalWolfe
Jun 10, 2002, 10:13 PM
I hope so. I didn't watch the game, but heard is was a good one. Good show for Korea, it would be cool to see them as a host country get into the second round. But my guess is they will have even slimmer chances of winner on passed to the quarters then the USA would.

I just watched the replay on ESPN 2. The US played a good first half. But the 2nd half we only made it across midfield a few times, and those were usually short trips. Even though the Koreans got a goal (and blew a couple of chances) the US's D hung in there even if was gettin' really sloppy in the last 10-15 minutes.

Seeing Friedel <sp?> stop that PK was awesome BTW.

Lethal

agent302
Jun 11, 2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

Seeing Friedel <sp?> stop that PK was awesome BTW.

Lethal

Brad Friedel is my new hero.

Oh, and France, I bid thee adieu

Tiauguinho
Jun 11, 2002, 04:59 AM
Just to mention....

Portugal won Poland

4 - 0!

britboy
Jun 11, 2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by agent302

I'm LMAO over that! They are the first defending champions to not qualify for the second round since brazil in '66. Also, they're the first dc's to not win a match :D :D

Sorry, my anti-france nature surfaced. I'll hide it again now :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by agent302

Brad Friedel is my new hero.

ha, that's great, missed it though.

And Ireland might make it into the second round, if they can hold the lead here and Germany beats Cameroon...

agent302
Jun 11, 2002, 09:21 AM

And Ireland might make it into the second round, if they can hold the lead here and Germany beats Cameroon...

And the Irish made it through. I'm impressed, given that in qualifying, they outdueled the Dutch and in Cup play they beat out a very good Cameroon team.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2002, 10:42 AM
This is shaping up to be a very interesting Cup. Now if the Americans can manage to hold on......

britboy
Jun 11, 2002, 11:42 AM
Where's Jello in this thread? I was expecting him to come in and say something like "the french surrendered again" :D :D

Germany a through (ugh), and england play tomorrow morning. I think i might just get up early enough to watch that one ;)

britboy
Jun 12, 2002, 03:35 AM
England are through to the second round. We face denmark next. Great :)

It was a rather boring game (relatively speaking), with not even a single yellow card. More like a friendly that a world-cup game. Still, we're still in there, unlike france and argentina, who could accurately be portrayed as in this picture :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2002, 08:09 AM
Wow, can this really be happening, Argentina is OUT! England and Sweeden advance - England with a 0-0 against Nigeria, like I said, this is going to a very interesting Cup.

I hate having to wait till the end of the week for America to play again....

LethalWolfe
Jun 14, 2002, 11:07 AM
It was ugly... but the US is moving on! I think today should be national "hug a Korean" day in the US. ;)

Lethal

Mr. Anderson
Jun 14, 2002, 11:13 AM
We are friggin lucky. And it might have worked out in our favor in a different way. Now we play Mexico in the 2nd round, I think we'll have a better chance of winning against them than against Italy.

britboy
Jun 14, 2002, 11:21 AM
Ever team needs a bit of luck now and again. You're through to the second round, and fair play to you's. Good luck against mexico!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 14, 2002, 11:40 AM
nice picture of the froggies britboy...

just like those french to surrender..... where are the white flags though? and the wine and cheese?

as for the us. i actually got up early to watch it, but fell asleep cause they were sucking arse.....

i was surprised to see they got in.... they'll blow it next game.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 14, 2002, 11:45 AM
It will be a well watched game here in the states, I can't imagine a better game for the US to play, especially since so many soccer fans in the US are from Mexico to begin with.

Good luck to England against Denmark:D

britboy
Jun 14, 2002, 11:59 AM
nice picture of the froggies britboy...

just like those french to surrender..... where are the white flags though? and the wine and cheese?

It's actually a pic of the argies, clutching their hand-bags :p

jelloshotsrule
Jun 14, 2002, 12:15 PM
It's actually a pic of the argies, clutching their hand-bags :p

ok. that's just stellar... hand bags. hand bags? ahh that's great.

i got the smallest handbag they make..... oh wait!

surrender frenchies!

barkmonster
Jun 14, 2002, 12:24 PM
I was so glad see argentina knocked out, they showed them doing their usual diving ever 5 minutes routine to try and make it look like foul. It was great to see the slow motion footage of one of them NOT being remotely hit by another player and rolling around in fake agony. It was hillarious, the clip they showed was this guy, quite clearly over a foot away from the other player and absolutely no contact with them, suddenly dive on the pitch and rollover clutching his knee and then getting up seconds later perfectly okay. I'm not a sadist here, it's was the same with the england game, like watching a fight scene on a bad TV movie.

They we're practically throwing themselves on the pitch practically everytime they were tackled by england player in an attempt to make it look like a foul and the referee was having none of it.

I'm thinking madonna should do a football tune, It's not too late to release "Don't Cry Too Much Argenina" :p

No offense to anyone who comes from there, It's only an opinion on a game when it comes down to it, it's obvious to anyone what was going on when you see the slowed down footage or even simply watch the game what they were upto. It serves them right they're knocked out if you ask me. I didn't even think england would get this far to be honest with you, it's been great so far and made a little easier now Argentina arn't in it anymore.

To be honest with you, apart from going to the pub to watch Man U games with my friends who all support them, I'm not that into football apart from around the time of the world cup. More than anything it's the national excuse for going out too often, drinking too much and eating junk food, It's different atmosphere entirely when the world cup comes around, like a big party.

Plus because of where I live, if we're watching a game in our local pub there's never any hassle with drunken morons fighting 'cos the only thing they've got in their shallow little lives to believe in is 90 minutes of football and they're team just lost.

britboy
Jun 14, 2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster

I'm thinking madonna should do a football tune, It's not too late to release "Don't Cry Too Much Argenina" :p

heh heh..... :D

Don't you just love it when pansies get shown up?

The Bender
Jun 15, 2002, 06:28 AM
Kick-off in 5 mins.... Can hardly contain excitement. England team still can't sing.

GOOD LUCK BOYS

:D :D :D :D :D

The Bender
Jun 15, 2002, 06:36 AM
FANTASTIC

1-0 within the first 5 minutes!!!!!

The Bender
Jun 15, 2002, 07:17 AM
Oh man, 3-0 at half time. I think I'm going to wet myself.

The Danish team don't seem to be bothering with defence at all, just standing around waiting for them to go in...

edesignuk
Jun 15, 2002, 07:23 AM
Half time and England are kicking some serious a$$! Can you believe it!?!

England 3 - Denmark 0

They think it's all over...it is now!!!

:D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p

britboy
Jun 15, 2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by verbose101

England 3 - Denmark 0

Not bad, eh? :D :D

In the next round we're probably going to meet Brazil. That is going to be fun to watch! My guess is that the winner of that one will be installed as favourite for the tournament.

Roll on friday!!! :D

edesignuk
Jun 15, 2002, 09:09 AM

Roll on friday!!! :D
Can't wait! :D
I still can't believe the can of woop-a$$ we opened on Denmark! Amazing!

McFreggle
Jun 15, 2002, 09:38 AM

In the next round we're probably going to meet Brazil.

No you won't! The Belgians will send the Bloody Brazillians home!

You'll meet Belgium!

k.

(NOT!)

irmongoose
Jun 16, 2002, 09:27 AM
Aw man that was a close game!

Wow. I'm still amazed.

but Spain won!!!

I'm gonna have some real fun making fun of my Irish teacher when he comes back from Korea... hehehe!

irmongoose

resm
Jun 16, 2002, 09:47 AM
I'm gonna have some real fun making fun of my Irish teacher

give the poor man a beer.....so he can flush down his pain :D

( and your grades may get better ;) )

Mr. Anderson
Jun 16, 2002, 09:48 AM
I'm really amazed at Senegal - they've made it to the Quarter Finals after beating Sweeden - they might have a good shot at the semis. Its still amazing they beat France, who knows, they might make it farther than they even had hoped.

D

resm
Jun 16, 2002, 09:51 AM
It seems like the weather....nothing can be predicted anymore :eek:

LethalWolfe
Jun 17, 2002, 02:19 AM
One half gone, and the US is up 1-0!! And again, Friedel is ******** iron man.

Lethal

LethalWolfe
Jun 17, 2002, 03:43 AM
2-0!!!!!!!!
2-0!!!!!!!!!

US advances!!!!

Talk about some tenacious D and capitalizing on few scoring chances. Both goals were, IMO, sweet. The US march down, set it up, and knocked it home.

Respect us or we will beat you! Bwah-hahahaha!!!! :D

Lethal

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 06:00 AM
Hey! Finally a really interesting topic!

(Until last week before MWNY)

To all of you english people out there,
congatulations! Beautiful victory over
Denmark.
Now give us Sven-Göran back!!! :)

Since Sweden lost there´s only one team
left to cheer for, and that´s England!

It will be very tough for Sven and his men.
But Brazil´s men aren´t unbreakable,
we (Sweden) drew against them in ´94!

I also cheer Japan! It´s astonishing that
they´re in for the quarter-final, after
whooping som turkish a$$, that is…

And welcome americans! You finally seem
to have caught interest in the biggest
sport on the planet! Good luck!

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by freedom
To all of you english people out there,
congatulations! Beautiful victory over
Denmark.
Now give us Sven-Göran back!!! :)

No! You can't have him back, we neeeed him (I'm sad to say) :D
And thanks for the congratulations, we are all VERY happy with the results recently, commiserations to Ireland yesterday, they played very well :(

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 06:12 AM
Sure, the Irish played well, or rather fought bravely.
But anything beyond the first round is a success
for Ireland. For the Spanish team it´s mandatory.

I wonder what difference Roy Keane would have made?
He´s a brilliant player, at least in Mad U! :)

Looking forward to see England vs Spain/Italy in the final!
Now that is what I call a great football game…

irmongoose
Jun 17, 2002, 06:30 AM

I also cheer Japan! It´s astonishing that
they´re in for the quarter-final, after
whooping som turkish a$$, that is…

hehe thanks (<hint> I am practically Japanese</hint>) The Japan team seems to be rockin hard this year... maybe because they're playing in their home team.. or maybe because THERE ARE SO MANY FRIGGIN JAPANESE SUPPORTERS CHEERING!??? :p :p

but... its getting scary here in Roppongi and Shibuya (the places where all the young freakos hang out...) every time Japan won.. there was a HUGE crowd.. I couldn't even get home because the police had blocked the way so I had to go ALL THE WAY around (about a 10 minute extra walk) just to get to my house... weird...

But still, I WANT JAPAN TO WIN!!! LETS BEAT THOSE TURKISH!!! hehe.

irmongoose

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 06:37 AM
Well I am really impressed by the japanese team!
It´s cool to see you running in circles around
the other teams…

But Turkey is a tough bunch, they played 1-1,
(I think!?) against us in the European Championship´s
most boring game ever, back in 2000.

But with your mandatory Ninja-training (? :) ) you should
have a great chance at defeating those turks!

And I´ve seen tv-footage of the japanese fans,
that´s a wild bunch… I´d love to be there!

irmongoose
Jun 17, 2002, 06:40 AM
[B]But with your mandatory Ninja-training (? :) ) you should
have a great chance at defeating those turks!
/B]

NINJA TRANING! hawhaw :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!!

Yeah Turkey does seem tough, but i think they're smart enough to see teh consequences if they beat Japan.. the crowd will beat the heck outta them!!! :D :D :D

irmongoose

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 06:43 AM
The Belgians are playing against Brazil!

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle
The Belgians are playing against Brazil!
C'mon Belgium! I want you to win, then we (the english) don't have to play Brazil!

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 06:53 AM
Verheyen just missed, 13.46 Cet.

Are you following it on TV?

I´m not! :(
And my vacation starts after WC is over…

This WC is fabulous, with all favourites gone, except Spain,
Italy and Brazil! Belgium might have chance if they draw
and penalty-kicks follows…

But Brazil seems to be stronger, right now, at least.
They seem to have an enormous pressure against your goal.

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 06:56 AM

C'mon Belgium! I want you to win, then we (the english) don't have to play Brazil!

I want it too. Then we can take revenge against England.

In 1990 David Platt made a goal in the very last minute of - I think - the quarter final against Belgium. The bastard!

;)

k.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 06:58 AM

In 1990 David Platt made a goal in the very last minute of - I think - the quarter final against Belgium. The bastard!

;)

k.

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 07:02 AM

I want it too. Then we can take revenge against England.

Na, we'll kick your a$$...hopefully :eek:

(all fingers crossed!)

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 07:06 AM

Na, we'll kick your a$$...hopefully :eek:

(all fingers crossed!)

Hey, if we kick Brazil's a$$, we're going to kick yours too :p

No, seriously... I'm absolutely no football lover, but I'm following the match against Brazil right now, just because I'm curious. I thought Belgium would end up with a 25-0 for Brazil, but they're doing very fine... 35 minutes and still 0-0 !

_If_ we should win against Brazil, we would be superhappy allready, and nothing else would matter... losing or winning against you guys... it's all equal to me.

May the best man win!

k.

(It's only a game...)

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 07:10 AM
That would be juicy!
England would probably whoop the belgians, I think!
But Belgium has had a few chances now…
It would be great if you beat Brazil!

It would be cool with a swede as god, in England!

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 07:12 AM
That would be juicy!
England would probably whoop the belgians, I think!

Why??? Seriously, why?

If the Belgians can manage Brazil, why shouldn't they be able to beat England?

We allready made a goal... but it was - damn how do you call it in English, afgekeurd - euhm oh well it didn't count (my English is bad when I'm nervous ;))

k.

Update: 0-0 at the end of the first half.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 07:20 AM
I saw that Wilmots scored…
Too bad he seems to have roughed a bit before?!

Belgium would probably get beaten by England
because (compared to Brazil) the belgian game
fits the english team better!

But I´m not saying that the belgian team is bad…
It was just a qualified guess, and macrumors is
a really good place to be guessing, right?! :)

As you pointed out, everything after the first round
is a success, for the smaller football-nations,
Sweden included!

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 07:23 AM
But I´m not saying that the belgian team is bad…

No, but I am.... :D

Seriously... I don't like football at all, and the game against Tunesia last week was ridiculous (my 2-month-old cousin plays better football then the Belgians back then), but I'm really amazed of what they're doing right now against Brazil...

:cool:

k.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 07:31 AM
…your cousin ain´t in the team then!

Send him to Japan (to get that special ninja-training)
and he should qualify for the national team at once!
:)

Keep up the good spirit, Belgium can still do it.
Just another 45 minutes to go, plus extension…

When the WC is on, it doesn´t seem like anyone
has to be interested in football to watch.
It´s just good entertainment!

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 07:37 AM
…your cousin ain´t in the team then!

Send him to Japan (to get that special ninja-training)
and he should qualify for the national team at once!
:)

Great!

Keep up the good spirit, Belgium can still do it.
Just another 45 minutes to go, plus extension…

When the WC is on, it doesn´t seem like anyone
has to be interested in football to watch.
It´s just good entertainment!

That's SO true... I really hate football, but the last few days I'm talking all day long about football, and now I'm following the match on internet. I'm actually one of the only men who's at werk today ;)

k.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 07:46 AM
You can even talk footy with girls!

I´m a footy-freak, yep, but these days
everyone you meet has an opinion about
a game or the players. Even my mother!

Football is really a peacebringing sport.

Except for that war in south america
that blossomed due to the result in a
football game between the two countries!

There´s a book about it…

britboy
Jun 17, 2002, 07:49 AM

Football is really a peacebringing sport.

Actually, football is the only sport ever to cause a war between two nations. Also, don't forget the columbian defender who was killed as a result of scoring an own goal against america in '94.

Football is just so popular that many people get too passionate about it, and take things OTT.

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 07:53 AM
Damn! Goal for Brazil :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 17, 2002, 07:54 AM
WhooHoo! Can you believe it, we beat Mexico and now we're on to take out Germany - ha!

This is pretty amazing, our best showing at the Cup in 72 years - pretty friggin cool!

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 08:00 AM
The war was between Honduras and El Salvador.

Of course your right Britboy!
But I think you know what I mean!?

Too bad McFreggle… :(

Now it looks dark for Belgium.

britboy
Jun 17, 2002, 08:00 AM
He he..... dukestreet's getting all excited! :D

Actually i look forward to your boys whipping germany back into submission. By all rights they shouldn't have gotten this far. So please, send the boring technicians of football packing (the germans i mean).

:D

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 08:02 AM
Too bad McFreggle… :(

Now it looks dark for Belgium.

Yeah I know... :(

But it keeps on raining chances... We're really playing great, and our honour is saved!

k.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 08:08 AM
Go Belgium go!

Isn´t this a good way to boost your post-count!?
(If your into that)
…but that is another discussion… he, he!

Let´s hope some of that rain spills into Brazils goal!

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 08:10 AM
Let´s hope some of that rain spills into Brazils goal!

Is it raining????

Thanks for supporting Belgium...

k.

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 08:13 AM
Damned Ronaldo... :mad:

2-0... it's all over now...

k.

freedom
Jun 17, 2002, 08:18 AM
Hey!

It´s only four years to the next WC,
and by then, if you followed my instructions,
your cousin wilol be playing! :)

Too bad for England though…

McFreggle
Jun 17, 2002, 08:27 AM
Belgium can finally return to it's normal day structures... no longer collective holidays at work and so on...
We are no longer a football nation.

Now let's head for the Tour de France!

k.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 17, 2002, 08:51 AM
i'm just wondering who the us team paid to let them win. ha

the easiest way to beat germany: keep them from even making it to the field! ha

LethalWolfe
Jun 17, 2002, 10:05 PM

And welcome americans! You finally seem
to have caught interest in the biggest
sport on the planet! Good luck!

Finally? I don't know 'bout the other US posters here, but I've got ~20 seasons under my belt (started playing when I was 6), and I can't tell you how long I've been lusting for the US to become a player on the world stage.

I definetly think our boys will make it a game against Germany. We need more offense than against Mexico, but if we finish our scoring ops (like we did against Mexico) then I think this upset will keep on rolling. All we need are more teams scoffing "It's only America..." and we'll keep on winning.

No matter what happends this will already go down as a watershed WC and our boys have exceeded everyones expectations.

Lethal

Rower_CPU
Jun 18, 2002, 03:08 AM
I stayed up to watch the US match last night and I was pretty impressed.

I definitely saw my fair share of disappointed Mexico fans today, though.:(

irmongoose
Jun 18, 2002, 03:23 AM
its all over. Japan, I am proud of you. You did well. But the results are the results. Japan has lost.

I hope the Japanese fanatics won't start beating up the Turks now...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

irmongoose

freedom
Jun 18, 2002, 04:10 AM
…the turks start giving out free kebabs,
the japanese can just as well give them
a thorough trashing!…
(I just happen to love kebabs!)

Japan has done an excellent WC though,
the asian teams will be back, that´s 4 sure!

We´ll be seeing a lot more asian players in
european football after this, which is cool.

Go Korea, go!

britboy
Jun 18, 2002, 08:55 AM
Italy are out!!!

Hell yeah! :D :D :D Golden goal from the South Koreans, and another of the favourites are out! What a shocker.

Pants
Jun 18, 2002, 09:11 AM
w00t!! Ive just lost 20 quid to william hill, but I dont care!!

well done Korea!! :)

Italy have teh best 'keeper in the tournament? i dunno who thought that one up, when the english and brazilian keepers are paying like they are...(go spunky!), but for me (a brit!) I've been mighty impressed with Freidal! wasn't he supposed to be cr*p? quite teh contrary it seems!!!!

right - the coffee shop calls, just so I can laugh at some Italians!!

kevinibook
Jun 18, 2002, 09:27 AM
Did you see how South Korea played? The had the most fouls in the match and they elbowed Vieri in the eye on got a only a YELLOW card. He should have been sent off , that *******. :mad:

Little tip for the guy who's going to go to the coffee shops: I wouldn't 'cause they would be EXTREMLY pissed with you and that....:eek: .

kevinibook
Jun 18, 2002, 09:32 AM
Spain- South Korea ..... 2-1
Brazil- England ............ 1-0 (overtime)
USA- Germany............... 3-0 (Go Germany :) )
Senegal - Turkey .......... 0-0 Turkey will win in penalties

What do you others think of these predictions ?

LethalWolfe
Jun 18, 2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Pants
w00t!! Ive just lost 20 quid to william hill, but I dont care!!

well done Korea!! :)

Italy have teh best 'keeper in the tournament? i dunno who thought that one up, when the english and brazilian keepers are paying like they are...(go spunky!), but for me (a brit!) I've been mighty impressed with Freidal! wasn't he supposed to be cr*p? quite teh contrary it seems!!!!

right - the coffee shop calls, just so I can laugh at some Italians!!

Freidel and Keller both have day jobs as starting keepers over in England. But Freidel was in the zone the last coupla pre-WC matches and I think that Arena went w/him over Keller... if it ain't broke dont' fix it, yes?

Lethal

Mr. Anderson
Jun 18, 2002, 09:57 AM
I find it interesting that if both the USA and Korea win this round, they'll play each other again in the semis. We'll see how much home field advantage helps them......

iGav
Jun 18, 2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by kevinibook
Spain- South Korea ..... 2-1
Brazil- England ............ 1-0 (overtime)
USA- Germany............... 3-0 (Go Germany :) )
Senegal - Turkey .......... 0-0 Turkey will win in penalties

What do you others think of these predictions ?

Yeah you just want England to lose as you know we'll stuff Germany 5-1 again..... heh heh :p

I think we'll take Brazil..... Englands defence is rock solid, and we have the best keeper in the world at the moment.....

A Germany-England final would be great though...... heh heh heh..... :p

amnesiac1984
Jun 18, 2002, 03:58 PM
i can't wait til brazil - england

i'm so proud of sven's men! And well done USA!!

it will be a really exciting match.

hey iGav, there is a fourth chord heh heh, could be called augmented 4th, known in classical music as diabolus in musica because it sounds evil!!

iGav
Jun 19, 2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
hey iGav, there is a fourth chord heh heh, could be called augmented 4th, known in classical music as diabolus in musica because it sounds evil!!

But Punk guitarists suffer from not being able to implement that fourth chord though....... adding that fourth chord would mean that their songs lose their 'Punkyness' heh heh :p

mr.w
Jun 19, 2002, 10:36 AM
As I look into my crystal ball I see a England U.S. final :)

amnesiac1984
Jun 19, 2002, 11:20 AM

But Punk guitarists suffer from not being able to implement that fourth chord though....... adding that fourth chord would mean that their songs lose their 'Punkyness' heh heh :p

yeah sorry, i was trying to be clever. Punks use only three chords, hence there not being a fourth chord. I was playing on punks' supposed lack of musical knowledge by mention the 4th chord as in the chord with an interval of a 4th, not the fourth chord along. lol, never mind, was being silly, had just had a music a-level exam :(

USA - England final would rule. we get to show USA once and for all who rules the world! It seems like USA, but its always been England just more descreetly in the last 150 years, :D

mr.w
Jun 19, 2002, 11:24 AM

USA - England final would rule. we get to show USA once and for all who rules the world! It seems like USA, but its always been England just more descreetly in the last 150 years, :D

- maybe at least in the soccer world ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 19, 2002, 11:38 AM

what was that year i was thinking of.... oh yeah, 1776.

who were those fools dressed in bright red i was thinking of... oh yeah, the dumb british army.

so then, has the queen been ruling the world or has tony blair??? ha!

britboy
Jun 19, 2002, 11:51 AM

I'd have to say it's the Queen ;) :D

*(your welcome mum)*

iGav
Jun 19, 2002, 11:51 AM

who were those fools dressed in bright red i was thinking of... oh yeah, the dumb british army.

Oooohhh the fuses have been lit......... :p :p :p

mr.w
Jun 19, 2002, 12:00 PM

Oooohhh the fuses have been lit......... :p :p :p

I got your back on this one jello .... lets all move to the pie throwing arena

iGav
Jun 19, 2002, 12:02 PM

yeah sorry, i was trying to be clever. Punks use only three chords, hence there not being a fourth chord. I was playing on punks' supposed lack of musical knowledge by mention the 4th chord as in the chord with an interval of a 4th, not the fourth chord along. lol, never mind, was being silly, had just had a music a-level exam :(

I hear ya..... adding anything other than a repetitive 3 chord riff just throws off Mr Punk and makes him confused....... :p

kevinibook
Jun 19, 2002, 12:05 PM

Yeah, the British army had white crosses across their chests like a target. How stupid can you get?:p

britboy
Jun 19, 2002, 12:10 PM

Yeah, the British army had white crosses across their chests like a target. How stupid can you get?:p

Well, we've progressed. Now we have red crossed on white tops :D

kevinibook
Jun 19, 2002, 12:25 PM
I'm impressed with how far you've gon on. Instead of the cheast now its the face, even better :)

amnesiac1984
Jun 19, 2002, 03:05 PM
come on guys you know the best has always been british!!

anyway red coats, the french were blue and most other armies had just as bright colours and you know it! in those days if you couldn't see the other army there probably wasn't a battle going on.

yeah i'd rather see our queen rule the world than george dubya bush, and who elected him? could only have been americans?

an whats with all the references to the queen mother? I know its onyl been subtle in this thread, but not so in others,

britboy? come meet me in the pie arena, and you iGav. lets show those yanks what we're made of!

Rower_CPU
Jun 19, 2002, 04:29 PM
Enough of this crap...keep the discussion on football/soccer.

We'll see if either of our teams make it that far.:p

amnesiac1984
Jun 19, 2002, 06:04 PM
england v brazil, just happens to be on the same day as my very last day of school ever!!!! well, its the day of my a level physics exam :(

could be some mad celebrations out in town on friday night regardless of the outcome

kevinibook
Jun 20, 2002, 11:59 AM
Too bad amnesiac1984, I have a free lesson for the first half :) ... but then the second half, art exam:( I hope Brazil win, they deserve it more than way more than England and don't get me started on Italy they really deserved too win. (by the way Italy is telling FIFA to open an investigation into the match against South Korea.)

iGav
Jun 20, 2002, 12:37 PM
Too bad amnesiac1984, I have a free lesson for the first half :) ... but then the second half, art exam:( I hope Brazil win, they deserve it more than way more than England and don't get me started on Italy they really deserved too win. (by the way Italy is telling FIFA to open an investigation into the match against South Korea.)

Quite how did you come up with Brazil deserve to win more than England??? England had the harder group out of the two.......

As for Italy... the way Perugia sacked Ahn Jung-hwan..... total disgrace.......

Italy should just shut up and be dignified in their defeat....... they lost plain and simple..... :p

britboy
Jun 20, 2002, 12:42 PM
No offense to ponyboy, but the italians seem to be very sore losers. Get over it already!

Rower_CPU
Jun 21, 2002, 02:32 AM
1 - 1 at the half.:eek:

I can't wait to see what happens in the US vs Germany game next.:)

Beej
Jun 21, 2002, 03:31 AM
Bye bye England

Mwhahahahaha!

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 03:39 AM
Oh well..... that's it for another 4 years......... :(

Role on the Euro 04....... :D

It's no disgrace to lose to Brazil....... but the way England played today....... they (England) didn't deserve to win.........

Now..... let's hope that USA can stuff the bloody Germans........ :D :p :p

britboy
Jun 21, 2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Beej
Bye bye England

Mwhahahahaha!

You're just jealous that we're even at the WC ;)

btw~ what the hell are you doing on macrumors? It's your birthday for crying out loud! Go out, do something fun with your mates, blow out the candles..... Oh yes, happy birthday! :D

wsteineker
Jun 21, 2002, 03:44 AM
Not to buy into all of this jingoistic knee-jerk reactionary patriotism that we've gotten so deeply into here in the States, but...

USA USA USA!!!!! :D

Beej
Jun 21, 2002, 08:47 AM
btw~ what the hell are you doing on macrumors? It's your birthday for crying out loud! Go out, do something fun with your mates, blow out the candles..... Oh yes, happy birthday! :D Heh thanks :)

Hey I can't party all day and night... I've gotta get some relaxin' in before I go out! ;)

kevinibook
Jun 22, 2002, 10:53 AM
South Korea beat Spain. South Korea should watch out, they won't have enough money anymore to pay the referees:p