Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
What have you chosen to do with your new Sexy Aluminum Macbook... enjoy it by keeping it NAKED, protect it with a Skin (BestSkinsEver, Invisible Shield), or snap a Speck/Incase Shell on it? What will you do?

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I'm struggling. I had an Incase hardshell on my BlackBook before and nothing on previous notebooks. But this one is soooo slick, I don't want to scratch it. but I love the sleekness and don't want to foul that up. Augh, I don't know what to do!

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
ill keep it naked, but i'll get a slim neoprene slip case for it...and possibly an anti glare film from powersupport

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I don't see the point in buying something and then ruining the aesthetics trying to keep it looking new with something like a clear shield. What's the point in trying to keep it looking new when you never actually look at it in all it's (naked) glory?

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I'm guessing unless you plan to play football with it or abuse it, the aluminum should hold up well over time. No?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It's not a cell phone, it's a notebook. A skin on a notebook? Eww. It will trap all the nasty bits and oils that you could otherwise wipe off. A hard shell? Why add bulk to such a sleek machine?

What's wrong with a simple neoprene or a beautiful leather sleeve? Pull it out out when you need it, treat it with care while it's out, put it away as soon as you're done. That's what I did with my 12" Powerbook, and 3 years later it still looks almost new.

The skins are taking over. Pretty soon they will make them for cars, and eventually babies. I think they're awful. They're like the vinyl covers little old ladies put on their tacky white furniture.

p.s. this is neither "big" or "new", or a "dilemma".

EricJD

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I'm not going to put a skin or anything on mine, but I'll probably get some sort of case to transport it in.

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I am wishing I had a skin on this baby right now as a matter of fact, my applesac has yet to arrive from snail mail :(

I was wrapping up my extension cord for the power adapter before I had put my macbook away and the prong went CLICK against it :( now there is a TINY TINY little black mark on it right where the thumb insert is to open it :(

First scratch. I almost cried.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I am wishing I had a skin on this baby right now as a matter of fact, my applesac has yet to arrive from snail mail :(

I was wrapping up my extension cord for the power adapter before I had put my macbook away and the prong went CLICK against it :( now there is a TINY TINY little black mark on it right where the thumb insert is to open it :(

First scratch. I almost cried.

Yes, but would the skin covered that spot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.