PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G3 Installing Tiger Issue

froggytreafrogg
Oct 22, 2008, 10:27 PM
Ok, I got my hands on an old powermac G3 from a friend. It was previously running OS X Tiger. I decided to go ahead and reinstall Tiger from my CDs. After starting the Mac OS X installer, it would have me switch back and forth and back and forth from disc 2 and disc 3. Go figure. After doing this for a while it popped up a window that said 'Installer has quit unexpectedly.' So after trying again all afternoon, I install panther (10.3) and it works fine. I try to upgrade to os x tiger and it does the same thing. I just don't get it. I am very sure that my tiger discs work and in fact worked fine with another powermac g3 identical to this one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :apple:

velocityg4
Oct 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
Try doing a minimal install. English only, no additional apps, fonts, x11, printer drivers basically uncheck everything besides the necessary system files. You can always manually install these extras later.

froggytreafrogg
Oct 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
Try doing a minimal install. English only, no additional apps, fonts, x11, printer drivers basically uncheck everything besides the necessary system files. You can always manually install these extras later.

that worked, thanks for the help. :)

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
That also gives you about 2 GB extra when you do a minimal install with Tiger :)

But yeah it sounds like something was on the CD when you were installing the "extras" or there was a light scratch to throw those errors for you.