PDA

View Full Version : Help Formating HDD

Detoxified
Oct 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
Just bought a new MacBook Pro laptop and need some help please. My question is, my hard drive is 320gb (280 after installation). I can only seem to be able to use 150 gbs of this drive. I am trying to reinstall Tiger and then upgrade to Leopard. When I insert the Tiger CDs, it only prompts me to reinstall on a fresh 150 gbs. I am at a lost one how to reinstall freshly and get the 280 so I can use that to split Leopard and Windows XP. In other words, how would I completely erase the hdd and get the 280? Thanks for your help.

spinnerlys
Oct 23, 2008, 02:50 AM
Is it the new MacBook Pro?

Why would you want to install Tiger on it? It came with Leopard. It is not recommended to intsall an OS that is older than the Mac.

320GB in advertising are 297GB in real life.

Have you looked under Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities) how your drive is partitioned (if) or how much space is used?

If you just want to reinstall, start from the DVD, choose "Erase and Install" from the Options button when you're at the point where you have to choose which drive you want to install your system on.
You can also use the Disk Utility while you started from the Restore DVDs.

PS: Is this your first Mac?

brop52
Oct 23, 2008, 04:03 AM
You probably incorrectly partitioned your drive. If you want to partition for boot camp you should just use boot camp utility to do it all. If you have backed up your documents you need I suggest you start from scratch on your drive. Make sure the whole drive is correctly formatted as a Macintosh drive then go from there with bootcamp.

If you have Leopard why would you be installing Tiger. It is best to go with a clean install to have the least amount of errors.

Detoxified
Oct 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry, I incorrectly stated information - the MacBook I bought was from a friend who had upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. I have the Tiger installation discs and the Leopard Upgrade disc. I am trying to format the entire drive to get the entire 279gb (320 hard drive). But when I choose to erase and install, it only lets me choose 150gb on one drive.

brop52
Oct 23, 2008, 06:45 PM
Start up from the Tiger Install Disk and go to disk utility. Erase the HDD. (You may have been trying to install to a double partitioned drive.) Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then Install Tiger. After that, start up from the Leopard Upgrade DVD and do your upgrade.