Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woz Beard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
USA
I know Apple retail stores have sold other computer configs besides the stock models in the past, so I want to know if anyone has purchased a different MB config at a store; if so, please be detailed.

Thanks!

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
November of last year I went to purchase the high-end MacBook (blackbook), which normally came with 1 GB ram, but they also had that model with 2 GB which I got (I was a noob and didn't know it would be easy and cheaper to upgrade ram myself). But now the MacBooks come with 2 GB standard and I would be surprised to see the stores with 4 GB.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

BTOs are strictly YMMV.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Not every store does it, but they really don't do BTOs. They probably only do RAM upgrades, because I heard that some people were able to upgrade their RAMs at the store. Other than that, I don't think you can upgrade the hard drive or have software preinstalled. You can still get the Accessories and Software at the store though.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Upgrading RAM on the new MacBook is a vastly more complicated and time consuming process compared to the old one. I would be surprised if the stores still do this.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Upgrading RAM on the new MacBook is a vastly more complicated and time consuming process compared to the old one. I would be surprised if the stores still do this.
It's what, 8 screws instead of 3? ;) Either way, it's still WAYYY easier than a Mac mini memory upgrade, which they still do.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The Soho store here in NYC offered to upgrade my RAM when I bought it. $150 and 1 hour.

JNB

macrumors 604
Actually, for once the Apple RAM upgrade is arguably a fair(ish) deal. $150 for 4GB installed vs. $145 DIY. Yes, you could keep the old RAM with the DIY, but as noted in another thread the practical value of the old RAM is debatable.

I would expect that the majority--if not all--Stores will do that in-house at the point of purchase. Also, as I recall when I got my iMac G5, I did the in-Store upgrade and got the original RAM returned to me in the box that the new RAM came in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.