Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Hi,

Ordered my 2.0 GHz Macbook on release day (Oct 14). On the Apple site they were advertising both the 2.0 and 2.4 as having backlit keyboards.

I ordered my 2.0 from my School Tech Store with the impression that it had a backlit keyboard (my receipt even says "2.0 Backlit Keyboard" on it). I found out the next day that the 2.0 doesn't come with one.

I know some of you who ordered on release day were given compensation or an upgrade to the 2.4 for Apples mistake on their site. I called Apple and they acknowledged that they were compensating the issue but since I ordered from my School Store and not directly from Apple I need to talk to them. My school store says that it was Apples mistake and that I need to call Apple to deal with it.

Did anyone else encounter the same problem? Could anyone advise me on what I can do?

Thanks

Allusion

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
While I can't say I've encounted problems like this, I would be incredibly persistant. Try to get your call escalated to supervisors or the like, get names, etc. and don't let the issue go.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

If you are looking for some kind of discount, it sounds like you're pretty much SOL.

If you really want the backlit keys, return it and upgrade.

Companies make typos all the time and their fine print generally protects them from having to honor misprinted prices, features, etc. That Apple gave anyone a dime in this situation was purely discretionary and the exception, not the rule.

I have not heard of a single person being upgraded to a 2.4 machine over this error.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
was anyone actually compensated an upgrade to 2.4 GHz? i think it was just talk about Apple doing it but i never heard of anyone getting upgraded.

I did a search on here and found some posts about people being upgraded. But it seems like the majority of people who ordered on day 1 were credited with $150.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/581529/

I realize it's Apples discretion and they don't have to do it, but I know the only reason they won't do it for me is because I didn't order directly from the Apple store.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
While I can't say I've encounted problems like this, I would be incredibly persistant. Try to get your call escalated to supervisors or the like, get names, etc. and don't let the issue go.

The question is who do I need to deal with? Apple has no record of my individual transaction, they only have the bulk order on file from my school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.