Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gyumilly

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I would like to share some of my experience with the new alu MB.

I have a white MB with 2.2Ghz SR / Intel 3100 video / 4GB DDR2. I like to play flash movies and watch TV shows (off EyeTV 250 Plus). I use CPU / graphics intensive applications under windows environment too.

I like everything about the white macbook, except when I have to deal with anything intensive (flash shouldn't be that intensive or watching TV shows off a EyeTV that has a hardware encoder). Regardless, the white MB's CPU and fan speed goes to the moon very very frequently. Analog channels don't get as hot as digital channels, but still fans go to 2500-3000 rpms and cpus temp is at 70-80C. If you watch HD channels, expect 90C CPU with 5000+ rpm fans.

Bootcamp / VMware was no exception of course. XP seems to run cooler, but fans still get loud where I can't stand anymore, especially in initial launch.

So, I was seriously considering some more power, in graphics or maybe a different CPU / fan management. I did some research between the new MBP and MB. Since I don't do a lot of photo or video editing, I didn't think I needed MBP as long as I can watch TVs / flashes without hearing much fan noise.

I ordered a new alu MB (2.4Ghz, 2GB) and after a long 3-day wait, I received it. Straight to the point, I never thought I'm able to watch HD channel without hearing any fan noise. CPU stays at 58-60C with fan running at 2000 rpm (a default fan speed).

I ran VMware fusion. The old macbook used to run hot and loud at least when I start. But this new MB didn't get hot or loud at all. The CPU temp went to, I think, about 65C and came back 60 or below 60. Fan was still at 1990-2010 and didn't go higher at all. I allocated 1 cpu and 1gb ram for Vista. I didn't order a 4gb ram yet just to see how this laptop can handle, but wow, I'm very impressed.

I don't know if this excellent performance is from 0.2 Ghz CPU bump or DDR3 memory (although I doubt much), I think the new NVIDIA made a quite difference and I sure like this laptop especially considering only(?) with 2GB memory.

As a side, I think my LCD is picture-perfect. I don't have fine-eyes to judge, but LED is absolutely beautiful. I was worried about loose battery cover, and yes, mine is like 0.1mm loose, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I also tried iSkin ProTouch keyboard cover and it fits nicely. I was worried that if the skin will touch the screen, but it doesn't appear that way.

Later I'll convert TV shows to iPhone and report how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.