Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has started developer seeding and testing of the next update to their Mac OS X operating system. Mac OS X 10.5.6 was seeded to developers this morning and offers the usual laundry list of bug fixes and improvements across a variety of services.

The new update appears to move notebook trackpad preferences into its own preference pane in the control panel, just like on new laptops. However, the update does not bring support the newly introduced 4-finger multi-touch gestures to existing Apple laptops.

There are also no hints or indications of Blu-ray support. While there were some early rumors that 10.5.6 might incorporate Blu-Ray support, recent comments by Apple executives indicate support is not coming soon.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.5.6 to Developers

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I heard a rumor that Blu-ray is already incorporated. It's just a big secret to frustrate the tech-lusties.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Why are the bugs that Apple fixes seem to be the ones that never affect me, yet the ones the one they leave untouched do?

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
I'd be nice to give us with "old technology" a bit of multi touch!
Ah well, still good to see that apple looks after their customers with updates.

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm more interested in hardware acceleration and SLI support as previously rumored. New MacBook Pro owners, what say you?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I just want to know where the new 10.6 seed is. Rumours expected it weeks ago.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I noticed the new Trackpad preference pane in store today. 10.5.5 isn't that old yet but I welcome a new version that will support the just released models as well for the rest of us.

Where does one find the above-mentioned laundry list of bug fixes?
You're going to need to be a developer for that.

Peaceful

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Apple has started developer seeding and testing of the next update to their Mac OS X operating system. Mac OS X 10.5.6 was seeded to developers this morning and offers the usual laundry list of bug fixes and improvements across a variety of services.

Where does one find the above-mentioned laundry list of bug fixes?

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Well hopefully apple is working on fixing the pop/bleep/urgh sounds from my ONE MONTH OLD macbook sound card. You know, the WELL ESTABLISHED problems... cough...

Oh wait, they'd rather make an ad about how microsoft doesn't spend enough money fixing vista. LOL.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
Well hopefully apple is working on fixing the pop/bleep/urgh sounds from my ONE MONTH OLD macbook sound card. You know, the WELL ESTABLISHED problems... cough...

I thought I was just hearing things. Not pop bleep urgh...but 'tack tack' or 'chut chut'.... what is that!!! I want that fixed too!!!:mad:

SugaredJuggler

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Holladay, UT
Yeah I asked if the four finger gestures would be coming to the older new MacBook Pros on Apples discussions site and within an hour the post was deleted due to "inappropriate content". I really really hope that the new gestures come out for my macbook pro!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Fine with me. I think Blu-ray is overrated anyway.

The storage capacity is a biggie, even if you don't see much noticeable quality improvements in movies. I could fit my entire hard-drive backup on a couple of Blu-ray disks. Very convenient to store.

tomesi

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
"However, the update does not bring the newly-introduced 4-finger multi-touch gestures or "one-finger secondary click" to existing Apple laptops."

Is this theoretically possible due a soft- or firmware update!? I always thought the Pro's and Air's do have special Trackpads for that special gestures?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The storage capacity is a biggie, even if you don't see much noticeable quality improvements in movies. I could fit my entire hard-drive backup on a couple of Blu-ray disks. Very convenient to store.
I can do the same on my external hard drives. Should we bring tape into the picture?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
"one-finger secondary click"

How in the hell does that work? :confused:

I'm not bothered about any revisions in the consumer version, I'm just still hoping for more AFP reliability on Leopard Server. :rolleyes:

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Yeah I asked if the four finger gestures would be coming to the older new MacBook Pros on Apples discussions site and within an hour the post was deleted due to "inappropriate content". I really really hope that the new gestures come out for my macbook pro!
I doubt it will happen.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Well hopefully apple is working on fixing the pop/bleep/urgh sounds from my ONE MONTH OLD macbook sound card. You know, the WELL ESTABLISHED problems... cough...QUOTE]

I thought I was just hearing things. Not pop bleep urgh...but 'tack tack' or 'chut chut'.... what is that!!! I want that fixed too!!!:mad:

Yep... when pressing the volume keys there's a pre-(normal)beep utterance of robotic barf noise, accompanied by 5.1 channels of "POP" from my rather nice stereo system. Totally infuriating. Apple - PLEASE FIX THIS. I hate windows vista but at least they know how to make AUDIO OUTPUTS work normally (geez man).

And yes, FWIW, I have narrowed it down to my internal soundcard. There is nothing else causing this phenomenon.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'd like more customization on four-finger gestures.

I can fit my entire hard drive on one external hard drive. Plus it has local and global write and erase capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.