Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Okay we have the iBook and the Powerbook. The iMac and the PowerMac. And the iPod. Perhaps there will one day be a PowerPod to go with it?. It could be a PDA type machine with a nice screen, perhaps running some version of OSX. Maybe a little larger with an all metal look. 10 or 20 gig HD, with all the MP3 capabilities of the iPod plus a whole lot more features that you would find in a fancy PDA or mini PC. Maybe even a G3 since they run so cool. Just a thought. The iPod is the only "i" unit that does not have a "power" cousin. Possible?

hobie

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
far, far away
interesting idea..., at least it would fit into the "iMac / PowerMac" - scheme.

An iPod + PDA capabilities... now that would really rock!

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Yeah, and let's throw in an ePod to match, huh... I don't expect Apple to be THAT predictable, fellas.

And if they turn out to be, I'd like to ask for a suite of PowerApps to follow up with the supposed product infastructure... PowerTunes, PowerMovie, PowerDVD...

hehe... PowerPhoto --- Apple's answer to Photoshop?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
it'dd be cool, n it could have a touch screen so u could use one of those fancy pens (or your finger) to do stuff on it

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Skandranon
Yeah, and let's throw in an ePod to match, huh... I don't expect Apple to be THAT predictable, fellas.

And if they turn out to be, I'd like to ask for a suite of PowerApps to follow up with the supposed product infastructure... PowerTunes, PowerMovie, PowerDVD...

hehe... PowerPhoto --- Apple's answer to Photoshop?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

they sort of do this already...with iDVD/DVD Studio Pro, iMovie/Final Cut Pro. i'm not counting on this to happen. i just think it would be one possible way for them to go if they ever did launch a PDA or similar.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Did some1 said PDA?

oh god...here we go again...:rolleyes:

I do have to say this though...I absolutely love how Mac users are always pushing the envelope...there is definitely something to say for persistance...he he he ;)

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
the dead horse needs to be beaten

i hate to say it, but no one has made a PDA or handheld computer that is up to speed with current available technology. It just doesn't make sense. Here is what I would really love and it isn't much:

The style of the new Sony Handheld with the flip around screen and hidden keyboard. With color screen, no built in camera.

Inkwell handwriting recognition, the Newton did it best.

Integrated wireless internet access through whichever ISP you want. I don't need my PDA to be my cellphone or vice-versa. I just want to be able to check my email and AIM on my handheld whenever neccessary.

OSX compatibility. Easy syncing with Mac apps not M$ apps.

And this could all be in a low end model. It doesn't need a camera or an mp3 player. though being able to watch a short film or look at pictures would be great, but that is software moreso then hardware.

If someone made a device like this that had ease of use, the handheld market would not be in such a slump. But no one really is at this point. There is not one standard device that has all the basic features anyone would want.

Apple is really missing the boat here.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by eyelikeart

oh god...here we go again...:rolleyes:

I do have to say this though...I absolutely love how Mac users are always pushing the envelope...there is definitely something to say for persistance...he he he ;)

I knew you would react :)

Why do so many people want that PDA anyway? I don't get it.
Does every1 use it to fiddle around during lunch break.. or look on it when lunch break starts?
I have a VERY busy schedule but I can perfectly do without 1. I think it's a complete waste of money and time.

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
some of us are not so great at orgainizing our day. and some of us are are the run a bit too much to use our laptop to check our email all day so we need somethign to help us with those things.

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
Colorado
Originally posted by iwantanewmac

I knew you would react :)

Why do so many people want that PDA anyway? I don't get it.
Does every1 use it to fiddle around during lunch break.. or look on it when lunch break starts?
I have a VERY busy schedule but I can perfectly do without 1. I think it's a complete waste of money and time.

that's exactly why i want a pda, i want something to fiddle around with. and there are a lot of people out there that would do the same.

power, portability, looks, why wouldn't you want one

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Can't be PowerPod... but iPod2??

PowerPod is a registered trademark and a separate product, completely unrelated to Apple.

But... go ahead and type in http://www.ipod2.com and see what happens... hmmmm...

Quark

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by mr.w

that's exactly why i want a pda, i want something to fiddle around with. and there are a lot of people out there that would do the same.

power, portability, looks, why wouldn't you want one

my point exactly. unfortunately there isn't anything on the market right now that makes me feel like i've got to have it. and i really, really want one. so come on already steve.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Can't be PowerPod... but iPod2??

Originally posted by Quark
PowerPod is a registered trademark and a separate product, completely unrelated to Apple.

But... go ahead and type in http://www.ipod2.com and see what happens... hmmmm...

Quark

Another infamous apple DNS listing.

Seriously this PowerPod seems like the most reasonable thing in a LONG time about a 'PDA'. I mean a web tablet obviously doesn't fit in anywhere. I think the iMac would get a touch screen if anything like that ever happens. The PDA doesn't seem uber logical either. The PowerPod does. But i think we're overshooting it here. It needs to get back to the basics:

Imagine the PowerPod as a device slightly bigger than an iPod, with the same wheel and buttons, then a wireless keyboard for when you actually need to type.
iApps work with the PowerPod. Run iTunes and sync your music onto it's onboard 10GB+ HD. Run iPhoto and copy over an album to run slideshows, run iDVD and save super-compressed Mini-DVDs onto the PowerPod. Mac OS X would be updated with Ink, which would also handle hot syncing of text. Address Book would handle your addresses DIRECTLY (none of this AppleScript junk). Run Mail to put your mail onto it and read it later. Run IE and copy over any web site you want onto the PowerPod. Run iChat to hot-sync your buddy list to the PowerPod (iChat for the PowerPod? Who knows).

As for the OS the PowerPod would not be capable of a complex vector based API like Quartz. Instead the PowerPod would be roughly based off PalmOS 5, with full audio and video playback features. The PowerPod would function as a MP3 player seperatly, running completly simmilar to the iPod, less the address book and language options (which would be in the regular PDA part). Then add some utility for monitoring your Xserve farm and it's a best seller. Update HD and CPU and repeat. :)

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
The OS would LOOK like OSX for those who care. Also the thing would be able to record and MAYBE even have input via voice command (PowerVoice thanks to ViaVoice?), get rid of that crap called Graffitie

Oh yeah cost, say $599. Around 10GB, 30% larger than iPod, medium res LCD (bigger than iPod's by a lot), all apps instaleld for hotsyncing to iApps and OSX. Records your voice, plays MP3s, organizes your life.

I want one already...

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
The OS would LOOK like OSX for those who care. Also the thing would be able to record and MAYBE even have input via voice command (PowerVoice thanks to ViaVoice?), get rid of that crap called Graffitie

Oh yeah cost, say $599. Around 10GB, 30% larger than iPod, medium res LCD (bigger than iPod's by a lot), all apps instaleld for hotsyncing to iApps and OSX. Records your voice, plays MP3s, organizes your life.

I want one already...

you forgot wireless internet connectivity through airport and a wireless modem. you have to be able to use iChat on this thing as Instant Messengers are going to be more a part of the corporate world as technology moves forward.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Maybe Apple could mooch Springboard from Handspring. iChat Video anyone? (Yeah right, well maybe if the PowerPod is a 350-500Mhz ArmVengance processor)

Airport and Bluetooth is practically guaranteed on an Apple PDA, then again the iPod had neither so i guess i cant be so sure. OK revised: 'The Apple PDA *should* have Airport [dual band] AND Bluetooth". One for HotSync, one for Internet. Then again it'd also need an antanae for out-of home internet and FireWire to keep PC users away. haha :)

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
This PDA stuff is nonsence, i say we form a coalition to buy a number of crappy PocketPCs and rewirite the OS and everything else. Then we force Apple to help us support it as a new emerging PDA standard. Get out Aqua and iApps on....

In other words we make an iWalk that would actually work. Who's with me?!

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
This PDA stuff is nonsence, i say we form a coalition to buy a number of crappy PocketPCs and rewirite the OS and everything else. Then we force Apple to help us support it as a new emerging PDA standard. Get out Aqua and iApps on....

In other words we make an iWalk that would actually work. Who's with me?!

if i knew how i would. i'll buy the first one though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.