PDA

View Full Version : USB2.0 Finally Delivers its Full Speed on Mac

MacBytes
Oct 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: USB2.0 Finally Delivers its Full Speed on Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081024134929)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Sayer
Oct 24, 2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe Apple management is finally getting their people to fix existing features of Mac OS X instead of piling on more and more features that don't quite work right point release after point release.

I am referring to features that a software developer would make use of, not high-level things like iApps or MobileMe.

Kilamite
Oct 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
USB 2.0 going its "proper" speed on a Mac does not justify the lack of FireWire on the new MacBook.

mkrishnan
Oct 24, 2008, 01:14 PM
It's great that USB speeds have picked up, but...I don't really understand the methodology. I don't see anywhere in the Numerique article the size of the total transfer being done, in particular.

I expect USB2 to have burst transfer speeds as fast or faster than FW. It's supposed to.

I am very skeptical if they're claiming that USB2 now keeps pace in sustained transfers with FW400....

wpc33
Oct 24, 2008, 02:06 PM
How do I know this isn't FUD by Apple's PR team?

shadowfax
Oct 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
How do I know this isn't FUD by Apple's PR team?
Take an external hard drive to a mac store and test one.

mainstreetmark
Oct 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
Maybe Apple management is finally getting their people to fix existing features of Mac OS X instead of piling on more and more features that don't quite work right point release after point release.

I am referring to features that a software developer would make use of, not high-level things like iApps or MobileMe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.6

minijon
Oct 24, 2008, 04:24 PM
Well its good their doing it for the older Mac's as opposed to the new ones. It would be nice if they would enable the four-finger gestures on the previous generations MBP's (I believe I've read that the actual chip is the same in both.)

Luap
Oct 24, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thats like.. 5 years late!? But never mind.. Better late than never. I still prefer Firewire mind.
Seems ironic that Apple get it sorted out just as USB 3 is knocking at the door.

kmiahali
Oct 24, 2008, 08:45 PM
people have to stop complaining about firewire support on new macs. one day will come when apple products charge wireless. at the rate they are going , its bound to happen.:apple:

TMay
Oct 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thats like.. 5 years late!? But never mind.. Better late than never. I still prefer Firewire mind.
Seems ironic that Apple get it sorted out just as USB 3 is knocking at the door.

USB 3.0 late 2009 at best, early 2010 most likely.

LaDirection
Oct 26, 2008, 01:15 AM

This has nothing to do with OS X. If it did, it would mean older usb 2 Macs would now be faster too.
This was a hardware issue.

LaDirection
Oct 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
It's great that USB speeds have picked up, but...I don't really understand the methodology. I don't see anywhere in the Numerique article the size of the total transfer being done, in particular.

I expect USB2 to have burst transfer speeds as fast or faster than FW. It's supposed to.

I am very skeptical if they're claiming that USB2 now keeps pace in sustained transfers with FW400....

No, USB 2 is not supposed TO BE FASTER, IT'S BUS has a limit of 480mb of transfer vs 400 for FW. This has nothing to do with the actual data transfer speed which is on average 20-30mb for USB 2, 30-40 for FW400 and 80-90 for FW800.

Kilamite
Oct 26, 2008, 08:30 AM
No, USB 2 is not supposed TO BE FASTER, IT'S BUS has a limit of 480mb of transfer vs 400 for FW. This has nothing to do with the actual data transfer speed which is on average 20-30mb for USB 2, 30-40 for FW400 and 80-90 for FW800.

Don't know what you are talking about do you? It is the theoretical transfer speed.

USB 2.0's theoretical speed is 480Mbps (read megabits per second). There is 8 bits in a byte, so 480/8=60. So, 60 megabytes per second. Obviously, USB 2.0 never reaches that in practise.

FireWire 400 operates at up to 400Mbps. I'll let you do the maths.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
Don't know what you are talking about do you? It is the theoretical transfer speed.

USB 2.0's theoretical speed is 480Mbps (read megabits per second). There is 8 bits in a byte, so 480/8=60. So, 60 megabytes per second. Obviously, USB 2.0 never reaches that in practise.

FireWire 400 operates at up to 400Mbps. I'll let you do the maths.

But you're not including overheads and lack of controller that cripples USB 2.