PDA

View Full Version : Apple 'Home Appliance'?

MacRumors
Feb 3, 2004, 04:07 PM
Appleinsider posts a vague rumor (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=362) that Apple may be riding on the success of the iPod and looking to expand into "the home-appliance market".

According to their sources, the new device "is said to exist as its own entity and product, rather than an extension of the Macintosh platform."

Of course, details are absent. Ever since Apple's release of the iPod, there has been speculation on more "digital lifestyle devices". Apple has admitted to working on other projects (Special Projects Group? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030925053915.shtml)), but the details are left to speculation at this point.

Gymnut
Feb 3, 2004, 04:08 PM
Apple branded dishwasher? ;)

ant_s
Feb 3, 2004, 04:10 PM
An Apple-branded hi-fi deck would be cool - with Airport Extreme to download all the songs off your Mac or PC whenever you change your iTunes playlist. Now THAT would be cool...

joeyjojoe
Feb 3, 2004, 04:10 PM
i hope its a blender.

or a usb stapler.

wordmunger
Feb 3, 2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ant_s
An Apple-branded hi-fi deck would be cool - with Airport Extreme to download all the songs off your Mac or PC whenever you change your iTunes playlist. Now THAT would be cool...

YES! Pretty please?

(edit) And how about a slot to plug in an iPod like an 8-track tape?

Bunzi2k4
Feb 3, 2004, 04:11 PM
i was thinking something like a Plasma Tv...

the only tv as thin as a penny, and it has a glowing apple on the back... oooooo....

rdowns
Feb 3, 2004, 04:12 PM
I heard it was a kitchen appliance. We will finally get the answer to the famous question, " Can it core a apple?"

peterjhill
Feb 3, 2004, 04:12 PM
must be a slow news day...

My guesses:

iScrew

iGouge

iGlass

iScream

virividox
Feb 3, 2004, 04:14 PM
isuck - a vaccum :)
iblow - hair dryer

ant_s
Feb 3, 2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
I heard it was a kitchen appliance. We will finally get the answer to the famous question, " Can it core a apple?"

Okay then, an iKitchen radio - variation on my initial thought...

And what would the point be in a glowing Apple on the back of a TV set?!

jrv3034
Feb 3, 2004, 04:15 PM
I think this might be a smart move by Apple if they play it right. Gateway had a big success with their Plasma screens, and they don't have an ounce of Apple's design and creativity. Maybe a nice WiFi receiver for AAC, as posted above, or a TiVo like box could also be cool.

Surprise us, Apple. But whatever you do, make it FAST!!!:D

Steven1621
Feb 3, 2004, 04:16 PM
something like a tivo maybe...i would say that it will handle all the iLife aspects, pictures, music, movies, etc.

i also bet it will have wifi and bluetooth built in.

Winston Smith
Feb 3, 2004, 04:16 PM
Maybe this is the previously spoofed iBrator

Rocketman
Feb 3, 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
i hope its a blender.

or a usb stapler.

I would love to see a website BY APPPLE of all the hair brained schemes over the years that made it to prototype but never were released.

It would be "insanely great".

In respect for the 20th anniversary :)

Rocketman

evil_santa
Feb 3, 2004, 04:21 PM
It has to be a refrigerator, as the are usualy white plastic (iFridge) or brushed metal (powerFridge)

daRAT
Feb 3, 2004, 04:24 PM
PowerToaster

Based on the Mac Cube, thats my guess. With wireless network to your Mac, and a OS X applet for dialing in how dark you want your toast ...

Possiblities yes?

Aeolius
Feb 3, 2004, 04:26 PM
iChihuahua; an Apple-branded Aibo. :D

varmit
Feb 3, 2004, 04:27 PM
iBox: Its a toaster. Hehe!

axl69
Feb 3, 2004, 04:27 PM
ILAMPS
IBULBS
IFANS...GOOD ENUFF FOR G5 GOOD ENUFF 4 U!!
IOVEN...
HEY, HOW ABOUT AN IFRIG..COULD HAVE A 17'DISPLAY WITH A WIRELESS KEYBOARD..DO YOU KNOW WHAT A HUGE HARD DRIVE YOU COULD FIT IN THERE?!!

wPod
Feb 3, 2004, 04:28 PM
wait, i already thought they made a microwave. . .
the cool metal look of the kitchen
and it heats up food!!!

oh wait, sorry, that says powerbook, not microwave. . . but still good at heating up leftovers

sw1tcher
Feb 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
It can't be a lamp. They've already got one (http://www.apple.com/imac/). :D

mainemike
Feb 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
Maybe a nice WiFi receiver for AAC, as posted above, or a TiVo like box could also be cool.

This would be my guess, too. Note the key words in Appleinsider's description: "an appliance done right".
This would indicate an improvement on hardware that is already out there.

A TiVo type device and/or wireless audio with iPod style navigation and a nice big hard drive?
Hey I'd be interested.

SPG
Feb 3, 2004, 04:30 PM
iEye ...glasses.

jimjiminyjim
Feb 3, 2004, 04:30 PM
I want a book. Can't be called iBook - that's taken.
iRead. One page. I could read Garfield... Harry Potter... Madeleine L'Engle.... MacAddict.... Time... on the can. in the bedroom. hours of reading. no turning pages. no lamp necessary. access books with rendezvous.

I don't suppose it's a kitchen appliance...
What about iOpen? a Can opener? or iCork? a corkscrew? what about iEat. a fork that measures nutritious value and weight of what you eat and then says "you need more carrots."

Hmm... iCook... yes, that's got to be it. No. That'd be an accessory to the iRead (see top). The iRead streams the contents of a recipe to the iSpeaker which tells you what to measure next, and when you're done, you say "Ok, Done" and it tells you the next step. No more butter between the cookbook pages.

Or could it be iBake?? Nah... apple wouldn't associate itself with burned cookies.

iFind? "Where'd it go..." you say... The can opener fell between the fridge and counter Jim! Ahh, thank you, Apple!

iNeed... milk, two loaves of bread, cheese...

iMust say, iSure miss rumors. The rumor scene is always slow right after announcements iGuess. iSuppose it's been a while now though. the mini was about a month ago...

ithink it's time for the rumors to start streaming in.

Oh yes. Indeed.

mainemike
Feb 3, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Aeolius
iChihuahua; an Apple-branded Aibo. :D

Good one! Would that be followed by iCaramba, a salsa-dancing Aibo that looks like Bart Simpson?
Sorry, too much coffee.

gekko513
Feb 3, 2004, 04:33 PM
a consumer appliance "done the right way."

Hmm, so what do I have that's done the wrong way. Only thing I can think of is my PC running Windows 2000.

If the rumour is true, I'm really curious to find out what appliance Apple plans to improve!

rogueimage
Feb 3, 2004, 04:33 PM
The only real possibilities I see are some sort of stereo system which integrates with the iPod and a DVR (like Tivo).

Apple could probably make a significantly better hard-drive based stereo component than what already exists. It would need to have a large (touch?) screen, and an iTunes like interface for playing songs. Nothing like this has really been popularized yet, but I think it could fill a gap.

I'm not sure what they could do in the DVR market, I just hope they would do it without a stupid subscription fee.

Ja Di ksw
Feb 3, 2004, 04:34 PM
I think this might be a smart move by Apple if they play it right. Gateway had a big success with their Plasma screens, and they don't have an ounce of Apple's design and creativity. Maybe a nice WiFi receiver for AAC, as posted above, or a TiVo like box could also be cool.

One of my friends worked in a store that sold tv's, monitors, etc. He said the gateway plasma's were cr**, they had horrible picture quality, didn't work well, etc. In the months he was there, not a single one was ever sold, while other plasma screens were contantly being bought.

With Apple's creativity, I want to see what they would do with some wireless intercom system, or maybe iToilet to work with their current IM program (that I use), iShat

yoman
Feb 3, 2004, 04:35 PM
Apple has stopped using the iiiiis for there apps. So think Garage....something.

Like Apple branded:

GarageDoor Opener: wifi access to your garage door.

GarageCleaner: a apple branded pressurized water cleaner.

GarageTools: Tools of all sorts with slick titanium finishes and an apple logo laser etched onto the handles.

:D

jimjiminyjim
Feb 3, 2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by yoman
Apple has stopped using the iiiiis for there apps....

Noooo!!!

iDon't think iCan handle the loss of the iNames!!
Please!!!!!

jazzkids
Feb 3, 2004, 04:38 PM
I must admit, the iBlow and iSuck were pretty funny.

Maybe an iCare for the kiddies? "Like iCare?"

BTW, Where's our G5 laptop?:D

wordmunger
Feb 3, 2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
One of my friends worked in a store that sold tv's, monitors, etc. He said the gateway plasma's were cr**, they had horrible picture quality, didn't work well, etc. In the months he was there, not a single one was ever sold, while other plasma screens were contantly being bought.

He must not have been a very good salesman, given that Gateway is the number one plasma TV (http://www.thetsector.com/displayarticle5794.html).

jelloshotsrule
Feb 3, 2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by axl69
ILAMPS
IBULBS
IFANS...GOOD ENUFF FOR G5 GOOD ENUFF 4 U!!
IOVEN...
HEY, HOW ABOUT AN IFRIG..COULD HAVE A 17'DISPLAY WITH A WIRELESS KEYBOARD..DO YOU KNOW WHAT A HUGE HARD DRIVE YOU COULD FIT IN THERE?!!

how bout an icapslock?

gekko513
Feb 3, 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by rogueimage
The only real possibilities I see are some sort of stereo system which integrates with the iPod and a DVR (like Tivo).

Apple could probably make a significantly better hard-drive based stereo component than what already exists. It would need to have a large (touch?) screen, and an iTunes like interface for playing songs. Nothing like this has really been popularized yet, but I think it could fill a gap.

I'm not sure what they could do in the DVR market, I just hope they would do it without a stupid subscription fee.

Some stereo system makes sense to me, too.

The all-in-one stereos (mini and micro systems) certainly would qualify for the appliance-previously-mostly-done-wrong award.

QuiteSure
Feb 3, 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by mainemike
This would be my guess, too. Note the key words in Appleinsider's description: "an appliance done right".
This would indicate an improvement on hardware that is already out there.

A TiVo type device and/or wireless audio with iPod style navigation and a nice big hard drive?
Hey I'd be interested.

I'd like to be able to burn DVDs from my Tivo. If Apple could offer that easily, I would buy.

impierced
Feb 3, 2004, 04:46 PM

I think that would be the appeal for Apple to get into this market... the subscription. Additional revenue streams for Apple are "a good thing".

desdomg
Feb 3, 2004, 04:46 PM
It has to be the iRumor generator. Automatically connects to the internet and quotes unsubstantiated rumors on its front page. Then allows the usual Apple lemmings to discuss and debate ....

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 3, 2004, 04:47 PM
why did apple insider even print this?:rolleyes: :confused:

rogozhin
Feb 3, 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by wordmunger
He must not have been a very good salesman, given that Gateway is the number one plasma TV (http://www.thetsector.com/displayarticle5794.html).

I pity the poor suckers who, in a moment of thriftyness, failed to notice that the Gateway is an EDTV, and not an HDTV.

Sorta explains why it's only half the price of all the other comparatively-sized plasmas.

lind0834
Feb 3, 2004, 04:49 PM
I remember reading somewhere that something like 50% of the people who think they have a HDTV, don't.

PixelFactory
Feb 3, 2004, 04:49 PM
how about the iSore - a digital picture frame.

MorganX
Feb 3, 2004, 04:53 PM
OSXtender

Ja Di ksw
Feb 3, 2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by rogozhin
I pity the poor suckers who, in a moment of thriftyness, failed to notice that the Gateway is an EDTV, and not an HDTV.

Sorta explains why it's only half the price of all the other comparatively-sized plasmas.

Exactly. From what he told me, the store was full of the higher end products, and people who came in usually went for the better products, not the more popular ones

Skull Leader
Feb 3, 2004, 04:54 PM
My guess would be that Apple will introduce an Apple branded aluminum skillet at the same time as the PowerBook G5....and it's the same unit!

Nothing beats a Philli steak and cheese while rendering...mmmm.

Dan8302
Feb 3, 2004, 05:02 PM
I would love to see somthing that allows you to upload all of your pictures, music, home movies, books, DVD's... everything, and then be able to access it on a HDTV or any other computer in the house, o ya and wirelessly, I was thinking about making one with an xserve but maby I will have to wait

crees!
Feb 3, 2004, 05:02 PM
"The Korean giant uses a proprietary Internet gateway and server embedded in its smart refrigerator as the central brain of the home network."

LG Electronics (http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/personaltech/0,39001147,39146671,00.htm)

Looks like if you want to use their system you need to buy their Refridgerator first. These guys sound just like Microsoft. "We are the standard." The article makes you want to physically smack Brian Kim in the face.

reedm007
Feb 3, 2004, 05:04 PM
Seems odd to me that, if the article is correct, Apple would release a "standalone" product that does not work with the Mac... Or maybe I just misunderstand what that means, and it does work with a Mac, it just doesn't require one.

An Apple branded TiVO -- maybe... but TiVO seems to know what they're doing. The only things Apple could offer on that is maybe a slightly improved interface and better networking? I'm not sure that's enough to get other people buying the product.

There are plenty of poorly designed products we deal with day in and day out, but is redesigning necessarily enough? Seems like the iPod was perfect because Apple saw an emerging market that was barely in it's infancy and that nobody had gotten right yet -- people want ALL their music, not just 64 Mb's worth...

With TiVO, they're already hard-drive based. Apple couldn't really sell a multi-terrabyte solution for consumers to have all of their tv shows/movies on there, at least not at a price any person would pay.

Interesting, but I don't know why AppleInsider bothered to post this when its sooooo vague and will just spawn random comments like my own. Dang it.

jacg
Feb 3, 2004, 05:07 PM
I already have a PVR but I'd like it to stream/copy video to my AE Albook for viewing/archiving. I'd also like to set it from my laptop and set up some sort of profile so it will record stuff I will like.

Does anyone know if AE is up to the streaming part? Perhaps a FW800 link for fast archiving to HD or DVD-R.

BTW I have a UK Sky+ not a TiVo. Surely all it needs is an ethernet interface?

gothamac
Feb 3, 2004, 05:07 PM
i***** - toilet

reedm007
Feb 3, 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jacg
I already have a PVR but I'd like it to stream/copy video to my AE Albook for viewing/archiving. I'd also like to set it from my laptop and set up some sort of profile so it will record stuff I will like.

Check out ReplayTV if you're interested... Combined with DVArchive (free), you can already stream shows back and forth between computer and Replay (yes, over AE, if you get a 802.11g->Ethernet adapter for the ReplayTV), and you can remotely schedule shows, etc.

That's the main reason I bought a ReplayTV instead of a TiVO. I copy TV shows straight from my computer, run an app on them, and burn them to DVD using iDVD... Pretty snazzy.

g30ffr3y
Feb 3, 2004, 05:13 PM
dont you guys remember this???

gschumsky
Feb 3, 2004, 05:13 PM
I used to work for a company (about three years ago) that created a few "home appliances" that were computer based, called iCeBox (notice the "i"?). There were two versions, a countertop version that looked EXACTLY like a color classic (yep, brought mine in one day for a side by side comparison), and a flat panel LCD version you could mount under your upper cabinets. They did TV, web browsing (using Windows CE as their OS), had a DVD player, and the cool thing (well, if you were in Europe, since most people in America don't use one machine that washes and dries clothes) was it could talk to "smart" appliances, like the fridge, washer/dryer unit, dishwasher and oven, all over the house electrical system. And it would display the status of each device graphically, including happy and sad faces. Also, it would work from a wireless keyboard you could throw in you dishwasher, should you spill anything on it, as well from a cell phone. So, essentially, you could stick dinner in oven before you left for the day, programmed it to start dinner so it would be ready when you got home at, say, 6:30. But, you get stuck in traffic. Well, with this you could call home to your iCeBox, tell it you'll be home later, and have it rest the dinner time to 7:00 or later.

Yes, these actually went for sale, and you could get them from high-end catalogs. The countertop version was around $1,00 or so, while the cabinet mount version went for around $2500. As a a matter of fact, I saw them being touted on a show on HGTV the other day.

Oh, and this company was the first ones to design and build a tablet PC, 4 years ago roughly. And, everything they did was built around an ARM or StrongARM processor.

You can see the icebox here:
http://www.beyondconnectedhome.com/products/icebox/index.html

As cool as it is, it runs on CE (blech), and would tend to freeze up and go to the blue screen of death every so often. My guess is Apple saw this, and figured there has to be some way to make it truly functional, plus get it to tie in with Rendezvous.

backdrifter
Feb 3, 2004, 05:14 PM
Well, it is of course just a rumor, but here are my two cents for how Apple should expand its digital hub strategy into the home:

Make a line of theater display devices (plasma tv, rear projection tv, and/or projector) and integrate DVR functions and media networking functions directly into the units. For sake of example take a plasma tv with the following specs: integrated networking (wi-fi and wired), firewire for video transfer from a camcorder, a CableCARD for the new CableLabs standard, and your usual av inputs and outputs. Also, put a hard drive in there that will run some embedded set-top os based on Linux or OS X that provides a DVR interface similar to TiVo in addition to a rendezvous client for pulling music and pictures off your computer.

You are going to have a lot of people looking to upgrade to and HDTV in the coming couple of years, so offer them an offer that can't be beat. Just buy this Apple TV and you don't need any other components. No cable box, no TiVo device, just the TV. Hang it on the wall and you are set. It would fit perfectly with the minimalist elegance that Apple provides with their computers and iPods.

Of course, the TV would come with two speakers for two channel audio. A wireless surround sound speaker system could be sold as an accessory for those who want the ultimate set-up.

EDIT: I forgot the DVD part. Put a slot load DVD drive in there as well. It would fit well on the top or side of the plasma. Perhaps higher end models could have a super drive for archiving the shows recorded on the dvr.

AirUncleP
Feb 3, 2004, 05:14 PM
Can you say iHome?

kwtneo
Feb 3, 2004, 05:15 PM
my bet is the tablet or tablet device called iwrite (didn't they patent the name recently??
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031215211535.shtml
)

VIREBEL661
Feb 3, 2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ant_s
Okay then, an iKitchen radio - variation on my initial thought...

iChill - fridge...

MrMacMan
Feb 3, 2004, 05:36 PM
iGamingDevice

With 4 G5 Processors!

Mwhahahaha!

Beat Microsoft at their own game... okay, sony at their own game...

:p

ivtrk
Feb 3, 2004, 05:39 PM

yamabushi
Feb 3, 2004, 05:39 PM
I hope it's something more mundane but useful like a graphing calculator that you don't need a manual to use. Throw in a ton of scientific and financial functions and it could replace all of the high end calculators offered by TI and HP. Give it a powerful chipset and a rechargeable battery. Perhaps it could use some variant of the PowerPC 750. I'm sure that Apple could design something more elegant and easier to use than a TI-83+ or BA-II.

applekid
Feb 3, 2004, 05:48 PM
Where's our G5 PowerBooks?

:(

kwtneo
Feb 3, 2004, 05:49 PM
trademarks for 2 audio related products!
filed just 2 weeks ago....
one's called Morphpad
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bi3msc.5.2
the other, Ultrabeat
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bi3msc.5.3

0 and A ai
Feb 3, 2004, 05:50 PM
iBox maybe?

TEG
Feb 3, 2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by lind0834
I remember reading somewhere that something like 50% of the people who think they have a HDTV, don't.

True, that goes to the misconseption that HDTV ready means you can get HD signals out of the box, or off of an antenna. When in fact, you must have an HDTV Reciever to recieve HD signals. My Aunt and Uncle bought one, and they were going to take it back because the screen was so distorted, I told them they needed an HD reciever, they bought one, and they love it, for local channels, but Direct TV doesn't really do HD that well, so they're looking for an HD satilite provider, I think I'll tell them about Zoom.

Also, all these places selling "plasma" TVs with out specificing if its HDTV or EDTV have been confusing the 'ell out of people. ONLY SELL HDTV, THEN THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

TEG

firestarter
Feb 3, 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by applekid
Where's our G5 PowerBooks?

:(

You said it!!

Get some self respect Apple!

Quit selling fizzy water and junk food, and roll on the G5 powerbooks, iMac upgrades etc.

And while you're at it, how about:

- An expandable computer that doesn't weigh 40 pounds

Have you noticed the vast number of smaller systems available now under wintel?

- A laptop ultra-light

Seems to be lots of PC manufacturers who can make 2 or 3 pound laptops. I don't want to carry 5 pounds around if I'm surfing down the local wifi cafe. Please don't make me buy wintel.

Awimoway
Feb 3, 2004, 05:59 PM
Stories like this keep showing up because Apple is doing R&D on all kinds of ideas. All kinds of "let's make the iPod of " must surely cross the minds of our friends at Apple every day.

That doesn't mean that [i]any of them will see the light of day. But maybe some will...

The information shared in this post is for speculative purposes only. Any explicit or implied accuracy is pure luck.

billyboy
Feb 3, 2004, 06:01 PM
How about the iThinkrumorsitesaregoingtoimplodeinFebruaryfromlackofdecentrumors

ThomasJefferson
Feb 3, 2004, 06:04 PM
Its the

USB 2.0 Mr. Coffee in Graphite
Firewire Mr. Coffee Special Edition in Lime Green

MattG
Feb 3, 2004, 06:04 PM
One of these (http://www.lge.com/products/homenetwork/internetproduct/refrigerator/introduction.jsp), but with OS X. Hell yeah.

Spades
Feb 3, 2004, 06:08 PM
How about the iRony. A TiVo like device...running Windows XP Media Center edition.

formatc
Feb 3, 2004, 06:10 PM
I agree with previous posters about accessing iLife from the TV. Music, Photos, etc.

But the real killer app would be on-demand movies.

Apple has built a music distribution network, next is movie distribution.

Jobs being the CEO of both Apple and Pixar should be a big clue. The Pixar/Disney relationship was all about distribution.

The Apple appliance would be wi-fi to the net, accessing an on-demand streaming movie site.

Downloading movies is too slow at this point, but streaming is perfectly viable at this time, especially when you build a large "edge" network like Apple/Akamai has.

Photorun
Feb 3, 2004, 06:14 PM
Take THAT George Forman! Will the iLean Cookin' Machine have Steve Jobs signature on it?

Awimoway
Feb 3, 2004, 06:16 PM
I'm hoping it will be flying cars. For the love of Mike, it's 2004. Where are the flying cars?

wPod
Feb 3, 2004, 06:16 PM
come on, are they going to announce anything?!?!?!!

they haven't even started shipping the iPod mini, so why would they announce another product? i think this, along with all the rumors around the 20th aniversary are all just that. .. RUMORS. . . but always fun to imagine the posiblities!!! - maybe apple R&D reads macrumors.com daily and will eventually build one of our ideas and you will get NO credit for it!!!

iDone

nagromme
Feb 3, 2004, 06:18 PM
Just a note:

Apple can keep working on core Mac products at the SAME time as other people are working on iPods and other things.

It's not either-or.

The Mac is not suffering from Apple's other ventures.

Ultimately, the Mac platform will benefit from the mindshare.

(And I'd expect an AAC stereo component or TiVo-like device or flat TV to be the most likely appliances--if any make it out the door.)

ITR 81
Feb 3, 2004, 06:38 PM
How about this:

iCube a Nintendo Cube but with a G5 processor that allows you use your iCube as a Mac computer and a gaming console.

Games now can be played on both iCube and all Mac's with G5 processors.

thecow
Feb 3, 2004, 06:45 PM
Cell phone +iPod hybrid

Centris 650
Feb 3, 2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
I'd like to be able to burn DVDs from my Tivo. If Apple could offer that easily, I would buy.

I would too. A DVR is on my Christmas list next year. (The wife already knows and is watching the stores and doing her homework!) If Apple put one out I'd get one.

durvivor
Feb 3, 2004, 06:56 PM
Its been mentioned once in this thread. But, largely ignored.

Why wouldn't Apple want to come out with a $299 / $399 iFrame? A airport enabled 10" or 12" Picture Frame?

It integrates fully with iPhoto, Displays your photos wirelessly.

I would find it nice if the iFrame had a HD, so that my digital photos are conviently backed up at all times.

I get home from vacation, plug my Digital Camera into my iMac. Import the photos into iPhoto. iPhoto copies them into my picture frame. Ta Da... Displaying & Backed Up.

Stuff that makes sence, but were not going to get.

1) Link through the internet so that my photos automatically update to the iFrame I gave to Grandma & Grandpa.

2) Web Browser on the iFrame

3) Play Movies

jesus h christ
Feb 3, 2004, 07:02 PM
[banned]

Awimoway
Feb 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
What does the "H" stand for?

Lanbrown
Feb 3, 2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by lind0834

Goes right along with people that think they have a digital TV and most of them don't have a single digital input. How many TVís were advertised as "digital ready" several years ago before any TV had a DVI input? Digital TV with analog inputs, umm, yeah.

narco
Feb 3, 2004, 07:19 PM
Apple is a computer company and I believe it should stay that way. Granted, the iPod made a ton of money for the company -- but it seems like they're turning into a Sony type company.

I'm not sure I like this.

reedm007
Feb 3, 2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by narco
Apple is a computer company and I believe it should stay that way. Granted, the iPod made a ton of money for the company -- but it seems like they're turning into a Sony type company.

I'm not sure I like this.

Well, but look at Apple's past...

Newton
QuickTake
ImageWriter/LaserWriter

And other projects like Pippin, MacTV...

They've always meddled in other things besides computers.

Of course, you could make the argument that they only did that during the years that Apple became unprofitable because they spread themselves too thin...

But hey, it's fun, and Apple finally hit the right time with the right product: the iPod. The Newton, the QuickTake, all amazing products, all ahead of their time, ultimately draining the company's resources. If Apple can actually have multiple success stories like the iPod, then the company can only stand to grow stronger because of it.

Apple's always been a computer company that wants to be more than just that.

jnasato
Feb 3, 2004, 07:42 PM
With Apple's ability to come up with products based on strong conepts and industrial design, I'm sure any appliance that Apple releases would be great.

Of course, they would make the mistake of releasing iWhateverItWillBe for $4995.
As usual.

narco
Feb 3, 2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by reedm007

Agreed, I just hope they continue to concentrate on the main objective which is their Macintosh.

mdriftmeyer
Feb 3, 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Apple branded dishwasher? ;)

Already exists, it's called Bosch.

MacFool
Feb 3, 2004, 08:42 PM

Gateway is not a company Apple should be imitating:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64694-2004Jan30.html

iAdam
Feb 3, 2004, 08:45 PM
I think that this would be a great move for Apple. Although the vast majority of us on this website are mac users, and think everone should switch to everything mac, its obvious that not everyone will switch. But that does not mean that Apple will not have sucess in non-MacOS related products. Obvious example is the iPod. One of apples strong points is its design and uniqueness of features, etc. Such as why you see so many iMacs or other Apple computers on TV and in movies. Most pcs are grey/black boxes, where the iMac for example stands out. If they were to make this product so that it stands out it could be very sucessfull, and they could make money off of Windows users, such as what they are doing now with the iPod and iTMS. I seriously doubt it beeing any sort of appliance, but more likely a multi-media related device. Apple has no back ground with food preperaton etc, but they are obviously working with multimedia very heavily. I also don't think it would anything quiet as "first of its kind" such as a Wi-Fi picture frame etc, but they have been a pioneer in many areas for the past twenty odd years. The obvious idea would have to be a tivo/dvd-r/stero/iPhoto top box device or somthing. It is possible that they could move into the TV market, but I don't see Apple really following all the other computer companies making TVs. If they did make a good TV I would buy one.

ALoLA
Feb 3, 2004, 08:52 PM
How about iComm, voice-activated control of all lights, etc., a la Star Trek. :)

Rocketman
Feb 3, 2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by jazzkids

BTW, Where's our G5 laptop?:D

If you are ready for a realistic kitchen appliance.

The PowerbookG5 dual processor version with a slide-out coffee cup holder and warmer. The cup warmer serves as a really huge heat sink.

And you always know where your coffee is because you are always glued to your computer.

Rocketman

Nosh
Feb 3, 2004, 09:17 PM
It makes sense. A standard size stereo deck for your car. AM/FM/CD, and instead of a tape cassette slot, a similar sized slot would allow you to slide in a 3G or Mini iPod, dock connector first, and allow you to control everything though the panel. Awesome.

Nosh

JohnGillilan
Feb 3, 2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Nosh
It makes sense. A standard size stereo deck for your car. AM/FM/CD, and instead of a tape cassette slot, a similar sized slot would allow you to slide in a 3G or Mini iPod, dock connector first, and allow you to control everything though the panel. Awesome.

Nosh

I have been thinking about this for the last year or so. All of the car solutions available are crappy -- iTrip/iRock sound terrible and tape adapters tend to break within months. I just recently bought a new JVC car stereo b/c it has a 1/8" aux input on the front panel. I think an Apple branded car stereo, if priced effectively . . . . . , would really sell.

Photorun
Feb 3, 2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman
If you are ready for a realistic kitchen appliance.

The PowerbookG5 dual processor version with a slide-out coffee cup holder and warmer. The cup warmer serves as a really huge heat sink.

And you always know where your coffee is because you are always glued to your computer.

Rocketman

I think the Firewire Toaster would be a great accessory to purchase, you could have your breakfast right at the computer. I believe that FW800 could run a small hot plate, I think barefeats.com did a comparison of FW800 hot plates last week but I forgot who won.

JeffTL
Feb 3, 2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
How about this:

iCube a Nintendo Cube but with a G5 processor that allows you use your iCube as a Mac computer and a gaming console.

Games now can be played on both iCube and all Mac's with G5 processors.

Actually, you wouldn't need a console duplicity -- a G5 with a nice graphics card is as good as any console for any practical gaming purpose

windowsblowsass
Feb 3, 2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by kwtneo
my bet is the tablet or tablet device called iwrite (didn't they patent the name recently??
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031215211535.shtml
)
apple is against tablets and more for laptops this is common sentiment

how about iPee a urinal or i Sleep a bed maybe iStink deodorant
or iWash a combo dishwasher and clothes washer

Poally Dog
Feb 3, 2004, 10:15 PM
iPhone xtreme which would connect w/VOIP through airport. Normal cell connection otherwise.
VOIP is becoming a mature technology…time for Apple to step in and make it simple.
Don't know about hot spot issues. MBG.

windowsblowsass
Feb 3, 2004, 10:15 PM
seriosly wouldnt it be great if apple went back into the pda market the newtons were great and apple could still do something like this maybe combined with an ipod

iGoob
Feb 3, 2004, 10:22 PM
I think we should all think along the lines of the MediaTron or the ROKU. NO storage, just pass through. Simular to the EyeHome.

Here are the links

MediaTron
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351016

ROKU
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/hd1000/index.php

EYEHome
http://www.elgato.com/products/eyehome.html

Along these lines with some apple charm...

I think it would have to have a display on the front...rendezvous....play your itunes on your home stereo.....view your photo slide shows.......whtch you imovies.......stream imovie store rentals.

If you want to go one further supports full HDTV, optical out too boot.

Just Done Right!!!!

igoob

nathanziarek
Feb 3, 2004, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry, and maybe y'all disagree, but a TiVo-like product would just be dumb. I've used DirecTiVo as well as the TimeWarner DVr, and the reason they are great is because they fit seamlessly into the total package. If you only have basic cable, with no need of a cable box, then the TiVo porbably works pretty well for you. But, I don't like the idea of piping my cable signal through three different boxes (wall>cable box>TiVo>receiver>TV) when the TiVo and the cable box should, ideally, be combined. You get the ability to record all digital signals with no conversion and get one less box in your HT setup.

My guess for a good Apple Branded device would be something like the eyeHome that takes advantage of rendevous in iTunes and iPhoto. But...I don't think that is it. I suppose it is as unnovel an idea as the iPod was when it was launched, so maybe Apple can do some good things with it...I just don't see it.

Whatever it is, I'll look forward to seeing what they do. Even bad innovation is fun to speculate about.

windowsblowsass
Feb 3, 2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
I'm hoping it will be flying cars. For the love of Mike, it's 2004. Where are the flying cars?
actually their closer than you think moller.com
this is the skycar m400

narco
Feb 3, 2004, 10:49 PM
I hope this article is not another "cheese grater" G5 joke -- I just can't imagine an Apple kitchen appliance.

~Shard~
Feb 3, 2004, 10:58 PM
How about an Apple IP Fridge? We have an IP Fridge in our R&D lab, and it's pretty sweet. Pretty expensive, pretty impractical, but pretty sweet! ;) There's a nice built-in LCD screen in it, so you can watch digital TV or surf the Net, and it has a nice inventory system to tell you what's in the fridge, when things are running out and it can go online to re-order. Oh, and it's accessible through the Internet (hence IP Fridge!) so you can access it anywhere online!

Ah, gotta love expensive toys and R&D labs. :cool:

segastyle
Feb 3, 2004, 10:58 PM
http://www.techtv.com/news/ces2004/story/0,24195,3591508,00.html

just add movie and dvd playing/burning capabilities and you got everything to run your entertainment center from.

jettredmont
Feb 3, 2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
One of my friends worked in a store that sold tv's, monitors, etc. He said the gateway plasma's were cr**, they had horrible picture quality, didn't work well, etc.

Having evaluated a few myself, I'd have to concur. The loss-leader ones are all "EDTV" ("Enhanced Definition" ... better than standard 720x480-ish, but not anywhere near 1240x768 HDTV). Compared to the few other "EDTV" sets out there, they've got generally worse pictures and higher prices. And the HDTV models don't compare to the competition at all.

Wasn't impressed with Gateway at all.

jettredmont
Feb 3, 2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by impierced
I think that would be the appeal for Apple to get into this market... the subscription. Additional revenue streams for Apple are "a good thing".

I see the opposite approach. As with Music, Apple removed the dominating subscription model with the reasoning, "people aren't used to renting music". Well, people aren't used to renting their VCRs either. The trick is: where, then, would Apple make the money? A constant stream of larger-drive upgrades maybe? Who knows ...

jettredmont
Feb 4, 2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
Goes right along with people that think they have a digital TV and most of them don't have a single digital input. How many TVís were advertised as "digital ready" several years ago before any TV had a DVI input? Digital TV with analog inputs, umm, yeah.

Well, they were digital ready. I mean, you can just plug any HDTV or satellite receiver into them via the analog inputs ...

splashman
Feb 4, 2004, 12:49 AM
I almost didn't look into this thread at all. Figured it could only be a lot more whining about what Apple hasn't done for us lately.

All the humor is especially welcome. Nice to see a few people taking this rumor less seriously than, say, JJ's nipple shield. :)

splashman
Feb 4, 2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
why did apple insider even print this?:rolleyes: :confused:

And an even better question: why did this make the front page? Arn? Seems like this is Page 2 fodder.

splashman
Feb 4, 2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by jettredmont
Well, they were digital ready. I mean, you can just plug any HDTV or satellite receiver into them via the analog inputs ...

Heh heh. Reminds me of seeing the term "digital-ready" on headphones with 1/8" connectors.

The sad thing is, these kinds of marketing ploys appear to be quite effective.

aswitcher
Feb 4, 2004, 01:17 AM
iSpy - wireless home security camera and motion sensor...

rfenik
Feb 4, 2004, 01:29 AM
An iTv would be pretty cool...

You'd be able to download TV shows and movies the same way that you download songs off iTunes.

-ko

hokka
Feb 4, 2004, 01:42 AM
I reckon Apple will release a Tivo/HD/WiFi Receiver top box AND a Pad-like touch/colour-screen remote (and possible an display as well) controlling BOTH the Mac in the house and the iBox.

Why?

So you can be entertained in every room of your house without tied down in any fixed room (eg. TV/Hi-Fi/Theare/Lounge room) considering there are wireless speakers - ha! wireless iSpeakers or build into the iPad

imagine listening to your tunes from the Mac on your steareo in one room or many rooms controlled by iPad

while the family is watching a DVD - you continue watching the DVD when you go answer the door across the hall on the iPad

other functions are all depend on how far the iBox & iPad's function go (could be a Tablet!)... there were a lot of good ideas said by others already

Wizzlewuzzle
Feb 4, 2004, 02:08 AM
Personally, I think its going to be overpriced, and cause people to sit at home, on the couch, drinkin' pepsi, gettin' fat, downloadin' stuff, eatin' McDonalds.
HAAHAHA. Count me in.

vollspacken
Feb 4, 2004, 04:20 AM
it has to be a bathroom air-refreshener...

called: iStink

:D;):p

vSpacken

iHack
Feb 4, 2004, 06:31 AM

Yeah, think about it. a DVR/TiVo like thing, to push movies sold through the iFlix video store, to be launched in the US this summer, in Europe somewhere in 2010 (hopefully). By the way, I remember seeing pictures of an iBox some time ago that did just that. Wasn't it rumored to be launched at MWSF?

let me see if I can find the link...

edit: found it. it's at the top of page 3 of this thread. Sorry about that. But the iFlix movie store still seems nice...

M.

tny
Feb 4, 2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
I have been thinking about this for the last year or so. All of the car solutions available are crappy -- iTrip/iRock sound terrible and tape adapters tend to break within months. I just recently bought a new JVC car stereo b/c it has a 1/8" aux input on the front panel. I think an Apple branded car stereo, if priced effectively . . . . . , would really sell.

Have you actually used the iTrip? I have no problems with mine, which I bought the day it came out - and hasn't broken yet. Sure, I get some interference in high-saturation locations, and near EM interference sources, but the same is true of the radio.

Daschund
Feb 4, 2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by ALoLA
How about iComm, voice-activated control of all lights, etc., a la Star Trek. :)

The clapping device!!!!

Daschund

1macker1
Feb 4, 2004, 08:45 AM
Whatever the new product is going to be. You better buy applecare for it, cause it will break after the 1 year warranty is up.

cubist
Feb 4, 2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by reedm007
Well, but look at Apple's past...

Newton
QuickTake
ImageWriter/LaserWriter

And other projects like Pippin, MacTV...

They've always meddled in other things besides computers.

And all of those are markets they eventually abandoned because competitors made cheaper and/or better products. It's still too early to dub the iPod a success, FTM.

And yes, all of these products are a distraction from the core business and do take away from the computer product development. We have Steve's word on that (what he said at the time of the Newton discontinuation in 1997).

It would be far better if they just aspired to be a computer company and cut out all the other garbage.

kyeblue
Feb 4, 2004, 09:01 AM
My Guess: LCD TV. make sense and no major investment on the developing cost.

JJTiger1
Feb 4, 2004, 09:22 AM
Re-badge the Maytag Performa line of washers and driers. :D

JJTiger1
Feb 4, 2004, 09:26 AM
iHammer. An ordinary carpenter's hammer with a FireWire cord attached to the bottom of the handle.

WARNING: May not be compatible with Panther.

Check third party vendor for firmware update before connecting to Panther Mac.
=-=
JJ

srobert
Feb 4, 2004, 09:53 AM
http://mr-radar.mit.edu/mr-radar.jpg

Stick with the classics

applejilted
Feb 4, 2004, 10:18 AM
for my part would be cell phone done right,,,,meaning, bluetooth, wi-fi, 64 megs of flash, SDIO slot, 2 or 3 megapixel camera, possibly a .8" inch hard drive ....that would be one seriously cool device and would unencumber me considerably (one device vs 3) ... it won't happen because Apple is into taking baby steps .... not to start a flame war , but apart from the iPod where has Apple innovated (and I mean new ground-breaking products) ... I remember when Apple had a full line of products (digital cameras, printers, scanners etc etc) .... these days it seems to be all about software

skunk
Feb 4, 2004, 10:49 AM
possibly a 8" inch hard drive ....that would be one seriously cool device and would unencumber me considerably

I seriously doubt that a phone with an 8" hard drive would unencumber you....:p

Ted13
Feb 4, 2004, 11:07 AM
On avsforum.com there is long thread, based on a report from a person they trust that Apple is working on a front projector (for Home Theater use).

I have no personal knowledge besides having read the stuff at AVS.

Ted

mrsebastian
Feb 4, 2004, 11:15 AM
as usual this is just a rumor, but you know the more i think about apple coming out with a consumer electronic it makes more sense. how about an entertainment center like device that would act as your tivo, mp3/cd/dvd player, maybe be compatible with a gaming comsole like playstation, and be able to use internet access. i'd get one in a heartbeat!

of course this thread is just a rumor and my idea is a logistical nightmare to get all that incorporated, but what if...

0 and A ai
Feb 4, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by mrsebastian
as usual this is just a rumor, but you know the more i think about apple coming out with a consumer electronic it makes more sense. how about an entertainment center like device that would act as your tivo, mp3/cd/dvd player, maybe be compatible with a gaming comsole like playstation, and be able to use internet access. i'd get one in a heartbeat!

of course this thread is just a rumor and my idea is a logistical nightmare to get all that incorporated, but what if...

Once again i say. You must be refering to the iBox rumor.
I think ibox is a pretty crappy name but apple should release or partner with someone for a home theater compenent that will allow people to play their iTunes protected AACs. With rendezvous support for iphoto and obviously itunes. and their trailer website .... that'd be sweet.

sigamy
Feb 4, 2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by backdrifter
Make a line of theater display devices (plasma tv, rear projection tv, and/or projector) and integrate DVR functions and media networking functions directly into the units. For sake of example take a plasma tv with the following specs: integrated networking (wi-fi and wired), firewire for video transfer from a camcorder, a CableCARD for the new CableLabs standard, and your usual av inputs and outputs. Also, put a hard drive in there that will run some embedded set-top os based on Linux or OS X that provides a DVR interface similar to TiVo in addition to a rendezvous client for pulling music and pictures off your computer.

EDIT: I forgot the DVD part. Put a slot load DVD drive in there as well. It would fit well on the top or side of the plasma. Perhaps higher end models could have a super drive for archiving the shows recorded on the dvr. [/B]

And when the laser in the DVD player has a problem or the HD crashes I carry the entire 42" (or bigger) TV back to the Apple Store to get it fixed?

FlamDrag
Feb 4, 2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ivtrk
How about an 802.11/Rendezvous-enabled alarm clock that is able to use shared playlists from iTunes on computers on the network. <snip>
But it'd be pretty cool I think.... It could also integrate with iCal alerts too.

I like this concept quite a bit. However, the alarm clock has been done well, and while Apple could improve it, it'd be hard to do it "better" than most of the others out there.

I'd love to have what you describe though.

Machead III
Feb 4, 2004, 11:48 AM
I just got an iPod, and the awesomeness of being able to carry around all my music etc. while playing games or reading a sycned eBook is just phenomenal. I would pay good money for a news/book orientated Apple version of the Zire 21. An Apple cell phone would also be nice, it would be best if they teamed up wit another brand like Nokia or Motarola (puahaha) though.

Corpus_Callosum
Feb 4, 2004, 11:54 AM
It is not Apple's style to release a swiss army knife product. That is Microsoft's style.

--SPECULATION--

If Apple releases a consumer product, destined for the home entertainment center, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be an iLife component. Take the iLife suite (iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, iDvd) and toss it into a consumer box with a streamlined interface and I think you pretty much have the picture.

A box that will be marketed probably as a replacement for your CDROM player primarily. Connected to your TV and network, you can use your remote to buy songs and jack your iPod into it to carry them around.

While playing your music, it can show you a slideshow of your pictures (ala iPhoto) or perhaps [more controversial] even move between captured video clips (ala iMovie).

If iMovie functionality is included [different models?], you should be able to suck in video from your camcorder and burn DVDs all with your remote as well.

Inputs: CD-ROMs (suck in your music library), digital film (suck in your pictures), firewire (suck in your movies), wireless (talk to your computer)

Outputs: Audio (listen to your tunes), Video (interact with the box, see your pictures, your movies, compose a disk for burning), iPod dock, wireless

Other: Hard-drive? Or do you snap in your iPod for storage?

Cost? Without DVD-burner, maybe $499 With DVD-burner, perhaps $799

JonL
Feb 4, 2004, 11:58 AM
Someone said Apple is a computer company... true, but they are arguably more successful as an industrial design company. Not only does their incredible industrial design make their own products viable in the marketplace, but they have become probably THE most influential industrial design company in the world. Remember how many colorful translucent products of all types came out right after the original iMac???

I think Apple should use these exceptional talents to "change the world" in regards to household appliances (and cars, and architecture, and furniture, and airplanes, and sporting equipment, and toys, and .... ) by teaming up with the most advanced companies in each respective arena. Every product that is touched by Apple's industrial design will ROCKET to the forefront of public perception, and probably with record profit margins as well.

backdrifter
Feb 4, 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by sigamy
And when the laser in the DVD player has a problem or the HD crashes I carry the entire 42" (or bigger) TV back to the Apple Store to get it fixed?

Well, it wouldn't be to hard to make a removable panel on the rear of the unit that exposes parts that are subject to greater rates of failure. The DVD drive and the hard drives in my G5 can be pulled out and swapped without screws. The same goes for the new Xserve G5s.

So, if you had a problem, you could order a replacement part from Apple and swap it out yourself. The other option is, to have a home repair service as part of an AppleCare deal for your TV. A guaranteed repairman at your door within 24 hours of your problems. Most electronics retailers will sell a warranty that provides this sort of service, why should Apple be any different?

As long as the interface is good, I'd love to see these devices get integrated into the TV. I hate having a bunch of components taking up space. The only reason I do it now, is that the integrated units suffer from poor interface. Apple, with its attention to detail, could provide a really slick integrated unit. That coupled with easy part swapping and excellent support would make a really attractive purchase to those looking to upgrade to HDTV, such as myself.

m,tz206
Feb 4, 2004, 12:33 PM
All this idle speculation belongs on Page 2

Originally posted by Macrumors
Appleinsider posts a vague rumor (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=362) that Apple may be riding on the success of the iPod and looking to expand into "the home-appliance market".

According to their sources, the new device "is said to exist as its own entity and product, rather than an extension of the Macintosh platform."

Of course, details are absent. Ever since Apple's release of the iPod, there has been speculation on more "digital lifestyle devices". Apple has admitted to working on other projects (Special Projects Group? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030925053915.shtml)), but the details are left to speculation at this point.

nextfiend
Feb 4, 2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by kwtneo
trademarks for 2 audio related products!
filed just 2 weeks ago....
one's called Morphpad
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bi3msc.5.2
the other, Ultrabeat
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bi3msc.5.3

I also found a 3rd trademark that Apple registered in January with the same discription. SCULPTURE - "Computer software for use in authoring, editing, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio data." Garage Band was registered about 5 months before it was used, so who knows how soon these will used, if ever.

latergator116
Feb 4, 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by virividox
isuck - a vaccum :)
iblow - hair dryer

hahaha!! That was great!

Now whats that about a vaccum and hair dryer?...

gschumsky
Feb 4, 2004, 03:03 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
I just recently bought a new JVC car stereo b/c it has a 1/8" aux input on the front panel.

Hey John,

What model did you get? I'm looking for the same thing so I can plug in my iPod as well.

Thanks!

Doctor Q
Feb 4, 2004, 03:17 PM
What type of appliances might Morphpad and Ultrabeat be?

"Pad" implies a hand-held device, but what hand-held device would be used to "morph" something? You can morph images, but that's too specialized a purpose for an appliance. Morpheus from The Matrix? Nah. So I'm drawing a blank on what a Morphpad would be, other than how you say "mousepad" when you have a stuffy nose.

Edit: On second thought, MorphPad is the right name for a digital photo frame. I'll bet that's what it is.

Ultrabeat? Sounds like a music device. Actually, it sounds to me more like a software product name, like GarageBand.

littlejim
Feb 4, 2004, 05:29 PM
I hope that if they do release something, you can replace the batteries without sending it back to Apple!

windowsblowsass
Feb 4, 2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by cubist
And all of those are markets they eventually abandoned because competitors made cheaper and/or better products. It's still too early to dub the iPod a success, FTM.

And yes, all of these products are a distraction from the core business and do take away from the computer product development. We have Steve's word on that (what he said at the time of the Newton discontinuation in 1997).

It would be far better if they just aspired to be a computer company and cut out all the other garbage.
thhe newton was cut because apple was going down and inorder to become profitable they needed to cut theese things out only for budget reasons no one ever beat the newton in its time

iPost
Feb 4, 2004, 06:58 PM
A friend of mine at the ad agency that Apple uses worked on the TV commercial for Apple's upcoming product.

I heard that they considered announcing the product and airing the commercial during the Super Bowl, but they didn't want to steal any thunder from the iTunes/Pepsi ad.

The product is known as the iBrator and you can view the commercial here: iBrator TV Commercial (http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/media/iBrator.mov)

rdowns
Feb 4, 2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by iPost
A friend of mine at the ad agency that Apple uses worked on the TV commercial for Apple's upcoming product.

I heard that they considered announcing the product and airing the commercial during the Super Bowl, but they didn't want to steal any thunder from the iTunes/Pepsi ad.

The product is known as the iBrator and you can view the commercial here: iBrator TV Commercial (http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/media/iBrator.mov)

Will those work with my AirPort Base Station? Any chance we'll soon see an iBrator Mini for $99?

hokka
Feb 5, 2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
What type of appliances might Morphpad and Ultrabeat be?

"Pad" implies a hand-held device, but what hand-held device would be used to "morph" something? You can morph images, but that's too specialized a purpose for an appliance. Morpheus from The Matrix? Nah. So I'm drawing a blank on what a Morphpad would be, other than how you say "mousepad" when you have a stuffy nose.

Edit: On second thought, MorphPad is the right name for a digital photo frame. I'll bet that's what it is.

Ultrabeat? Sounds like a music device. Actually, it sounds to me more like a software product name, like GarageBand.

If you did a simple Google search on any of these 3 names then you would of known they represent the 3 new software technologies for the new Logic software released at NAMM 2004.

Here's one of the links (http://www.macvillage.net/macpr/pressreleases/107532898738811.shtml)

GregA
Feb 5, 2004, 04:48 AM
We all have Stereos and TVs. Which appliances could be made better, and how?
We can choose from the screen, DVD player, VCR (analog), CD stacker, Tape decks, turntables... and PVR/Tivo style systems. There's lots of possibilities.

Now for guess work and dreaming. We don't know much. Steve doesn't want the computer burdened with TV functions, by which I believe he sees the stereo as unique with it's own digital needs. He also wants to reduce the mess of wires behind the stereo.

Personally... I think the VCR is such a common item and easily understood, it's an ideal thing to replace. People put in a tape, select a channel, press record (or play) - a DVD-RW product could do the same very easily. A digital TV tuner of course, and digital and S-Video outputs.

I think this is possible as it:
1) reduces devices in your cabinet (VCR & DVD get combined)
2) serves the exact customer served by a VCR
3) The device is standalone. It doesn't need a Mac.
4) iTunes & iPhoto would be natural additions, with sync to a Mac (or PC)

Other functions may be ways of moving analog stuff to CD or DVD (eg Videos, or Tapes & Records)

I must admit I'd really like to see a modular option, but that involves working with other vendors and I doubt Apple would do that. For instance, Apple could sell a basic iBox (really just an iPod for your stereo) and then if you bought a 3rd party DVD-RW drive, LaCie hard disk, and digital TV tuner - you would have the same functionality of the DVD-VCR device I mentioned.

Unfortunately while it would simplify the wires (just firewire to connect), and would be different to a computer (but using computer technology where relevant), it requires an open approach to integration which doesn't seem too Apple recently.

ps. great play on words earlier!
iSore - You thought other appliances looked bad, this goes one better
iCeBox - "a great idea but used to freeze up from time to time"!
(I think this was serious though!)

Kid Red
Feb 5, 2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by wordmunger

Maybe, but he's right, Gateway Plasmas are crap. Only consumer suckers are buying them thinking they got a great deal on a new 'it' technology.

As far as the new apliance, people it's the Apple projector that was reported at AVSforums. I thought it was mentioned here a few weeks ago and yet no one has drawn the conclusion :confused:

takao
Feb 5, 2004, 11:46 AM
hmmm "home appliance"

could be everthing ... something with music ? perhaps new instruments for garageband ?
or something with video editing ? something related to ipod ?

well a dishwasher would be a surpirse :D

geeyesgee
Feb 5, 2004, 02:07 PM
iCrap - a toilet

I can see the ad now: "iCrap - it's like Windows NT for the rest of your life."

Winston Smith
Feb 5, 2004, 03:49 PM
How about a standalone iChat AV device to bring a videophone into the home?