Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedGadD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
i just bought my new macbook this monday, and everything is working well, internal speakers sounds fine, and internal microphone is working too.

but today, i tried to listen some music with external speakers, and i just couldn't make it work.

in system preferences>>sound>>Output

just appear

internal speaker >>>>>>>>>>>>> built in output

in Input appears
internal microphone >>>>>>>>>>>>> built in input
line in >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> audio line in in-port

i don't know how to make line in work
i just pluged in my microphone and selected "line in" but it didnt work

and it seems i don't have "line out"

does this is normal?

i'm a switcher!!!

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
you plugged the external speakers into the out port correct? It's the one with the headphones icon. There is no need to go into system preferences, it should work automatically..

RedGadD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
you plugged the external speakers into the out port correct? It's the one with the headphones icon. There is no need to go into system preferences, it should work automatically..

well, then my macbook audio out port doesn't work

because i've already plugged in my speakers, and my headphones

just when i was starting to love mac, this happen to me!!! LOL

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
well, then my macbook audio out port doesn't work

because i've already plugged in my speakers, and my headphones

just when i was starting to love mac, this happen to me!!! LOL

yea sounds like the port is dead. You should have no problems exchanging it for another one.

cellobowmusic

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
My new Aluminum Macbook has done the same thing. anytime i tried to use the aux out it wouldnt send the signal through, it just came out the internal speakers. i restarted and it works again, it also works after resuming from sleep. im going to talk to Apple later today and see what i can find out, it sounds like a firmware issue not hardware.

Macbook (aluminum) 2.4 GHz
2 Gigabytes ram

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Same thing here except on a 20" aluminum imac.

Mine was working fine for almost a year then? It momentarily silences the sound when I plug in the line to my Kaboom but then it just simply turns the damn internal speakers back on and thats that. Tried disk utilities and updating all software to no avail. Out of warranty now any thoughts?

tarheel23

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
This happened to me after I installed Windows 7 beta.

The internal speakers worked fine in Windows 7, but when I would boot in Leopard it wouldnt work. Sound would only work if I plugged in earphones. Maybe its a problem w/ bootcamp?

dra3b

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
My 2.4 Aluminum MacBook has he same exact problem, but only with the line-in port. The headphones work fine through the line out.

I tried everything, it just doesn't work at all, i plugged in the microphone and changed the system preferences, but still, nothing is working...
Please, if anyone could help, please do... ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.