PDA

View Full Version : WIFI On The GO?

HappyDude20
Oct 24, 2008, 11:37 PM
what's the best way to get online regards with the Touch?

I'm constantly out and about with my touch when at times I'll need to get online. Say to access maps and find directions or something online.
:apple::apple:

Normally I'll drive around looking for a wifi signal with my touch in hand. Sometimes I get lucky. If I'm in familiar terretory I'll know of some wifi home networks and park in a residental st. Even now I'm parked by a house with wifi. Low signal but wifi nonetheless.
I'm sure some of you run into a problem like this, perhaps not as dire but it's still a drag.

Does like a wifi finder thing exist or what's an alternative? What do you do?

OnTheiTouch2G
Oct 25, 2008, 01:03 AM
Here in Atlanta I can count on any Caribu coffee, taco mac, mellow mushroom, and a couple other locations I can swing by for a free signal. If I'm desparate, the mcdonalds sell two hours of wifi foe 2.99.

SnowLeopard2008
Oct 25, 2008, 01:15 AM
You could try getting an iPhone?

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 05:25 AM
You could try getting an iPhone?

Had the iPhone, loved it...but hate ATT's reception. Couldn't bear it, not even with that amazzing phone.

dylanbrown
Oct 25, 2008, 05:35 AM
As for an Application for the iPod touch, I use WiFinder, it's pretty good (and cheap) and helps me find open networks out on the go.

Hope this helps.

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=dylanbrown;6496276]As for an Application for the iPod touch, I use WiFinder, it's pretty good (and cheap) and helps me find open networks out on the go.QUOTE]

How's Wifinder on the touch? i quickly read that it'll buzz when it finds a network. can i set it to hear like a preset sound on the Touch, like the ones found in the CLOCK App?

Is there anything like this program or is this the best? Your personal opinion on the app? Is it a very useful app? for a buck ill probably get it but love to know what else is out there and what it can do.

dylanbrown
Oct 25, 2008, 06:50 AM
How's Wifinder on the touch? i quickly read that it'll buzz when it finds a network. can i set it to hear like a preset sound on the Touch, like the ones found in the CLOCK App?

Is there anything like this program or is this the best? Your personal opinion on the app? Is it a very useful app? for a buck ill probably get it but love to know what else is out there and what it can do.

At the moment, it is pretty basic, although I did email the guy with some of the things I'd like to see on the app. At the moment, the guy is working on an update. The reason I like it is because its cheap, and does what its supposed to do - nothing too fancy!

As yet (Because Apple wont allow it) the app needs to be active to find new networks, so it won't find a new network and allow you to connect to it when not running the App.

Also, the settings window will re-set to defaults every time you close the app (Something the guy is working on), and as for sounds, I'm not too sure you can select your own sound, but it will have some kind of notification beep built-in.

I use the "Scan every (seconds)..." function, so I'll be walking down the street and It'll constantly update the network list as I'm moving.

Also, coffee places (I know over here in the UK) such as Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero and even McDonalds offer public WiFi, so it may be worth looking into something like that as well.

As for the App, its only $1, and while it offers basic functionality that will be improved, its a cheap buy, so I would recommend it.

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, pretty sure i'll buy it.

:]

mackmgg
Oct 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
idk about by u, but here cablevision has free public wifi for their subscribers :)

also ya, most cofee shops will

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'll be getting AT&T home dsl which provides free wifi at any Starbucks, Mcdonalds and Barnes 7 Noble locations which will help 98% of my current situation.