Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
I have an ibook g4 and i want to buy a DVD burner but I want it to be compatible with iDVD.
-Has anyone try connecting an internal DVD burner into an external case and use FW400 and iDVD in the iBook G4?

Are Apple's SuperDrive fast? The Spec. says they are DVD-R. for 200$? What brand are they, and are they STD IDE interface in the G5?

- 3rd party Internal DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W run for 100$.
- heard that -R is good for Movies and not best for Data Backup.
- I will use it for Data Backup only, and once maybe iDVD twice a year.
- I want to feel that 29 for iLife 04 was good $, since I don't use GB, iMovie.
- Can I use the G5's S-Drive in an EXT FW400 and burn using iBook G4?
- only 30G in iBook and will have at least 120G in G5 when buy, that's why.
- and will replace it w/ a 3rd party CD-RW from my old PC, Is it Possible?

OFF topic, can I make my internal DVD-ROM all reagion? How?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
You will not be able to use iDVD with an external burner. No way around it. You can add a superdrive thro companies like http://www.mcetech.com. You can use firewire DVD drives no problem for back up. But no chance with idvd. and i'm sure a firmware hack exist to make the drive all region, but your on your own with that one.

Macnasien

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Irvine, California
Good news ! Bad news !

As i know, it's not a problem to use a 3rd Party CD-burner in your G5,bad there are no Cd-Drives with SATA. But i t shouldn't be a problem to replace it.
Very bad news,iDVD only works with Apple's builtin Super-Drives wich uses DVD-R at 4* speed.I think it wouldn't be a problem to use a DVD-Burner like the LG-4081b wich can burn DVD-/+R/RW and RAM, but you have to use a 3rd Party Software to burn the DVDs.Toast 6 is an great one ;-).
I have an Yamaha F1-CD-Burner and a Seagate 7200.2 HDD in an external Firewire-case and it's amazing how great everything is working together,not like WIntel.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: iDVD in iBook G4 !!! =)

Originally posted by cmx08
I have an ibook g4 and i want to buy a DVD burner but I want it to be compatible with iDVD.
-Has anyone try connecting an internal DVD burner into an external case and use FW400 and iDVD in the iBook G4?

Are Apple's SuperDrive fast? The Spec. says they are DVD-R. for 200$? What brand are they, and are they STD IDE interface in the G5?

- 3rd party Internal DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W run for 100$.
- heard that -R is good for Movies and not best for Data Backup.
- I will use it for Data Backup only, and once maybe iDVD twice a year.
- I want to feel that 29 for iLife 04 was good $, since I don't use GB, iMovie.
- Can I use the G5's S-Drive in an EXT FW400 and burn using iBook G4?
- only 30G in iBook and will have at least 120G in G5 when buy, that's why.
- and will replace it w/ a 3rd party CD-RW from my old PC, Is it Possible?

OFF topic, can I make my internal DVD-ROM all reagion? How?

as hugemelluns said, iDVD does not work with external drives. a company at one time sold a patch to make it work, but apple shut them down. However, third party DVD bruning software will work fine.

Apple uses pioneer and more recently has been using sony superdrives. I believe apple has started supporting the +r and +rw standard on machines that have the sony drives, whcih supports those formats. the pioneer does not. Dunno which commonly comes in the iBooks.

-r would be fine for databackup as far as I know. +rw adds some fancy features that make it attractive for data backups, but I don't know those features are even supported on macs.

Theorectically, I suppose you could take the G5's superdrive out, drop it an external case and burn that way. Again, third aprty sofwtare would be needed. Wouldn't it be easier though to just transfer data for burning to the G5. firewire disk target mode, networking, airport, lots of ways to make this procedure very easy.

The PC burner may work. But like I said, its probably better to just move the files to the G5 and burn from there, or burn directly off of the iBook using firewire disktarget mode. instead of taking the drive to the computer, take the computer to the drive. Seems easier to me, and more cost effective.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: Re: iDVD in iBook G4 !!! =)

Originally posted by strider42

I believe apple has started supporting the +r and +rw standard on machines that have the sony drives, whcih supports those formats. the pioneer does not.

The Pioneer drives in the G5s are capable of dvd+r/rw. The Pioneers installed in G5s are model# 106D.

I'm happy to have a Pioneer 106D in my G5. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.