PDA

View Full Version : pci usb 2.0 card nec d720101xx & lacie HD

flipbitches
Oct 25, 2008, 12:22 PM
hi,

bought today 2 nec pci cards.. the d720101gj & d720102gc.. knowing that for usb 2.0 on a G4 the best solution is nec, but i got the same problems that i already experienced with other brands:confused:. my g4 won't wake up if my lacie desktop hd is connected to the nec card.
did i just bought the wrong ones or can i fix it with clean install.. i'm just out of solutions right here.

hope someone can help me out

*edit: both of the cards show the same problems.. i only have a usb stick to check no other usb peripherals, but with my toshiba usb stick everything works fine.. try to fix some other usb stuff to check if its only my hd, but for now my girl is screaming to take her out to dinner..

Farrs44
Apr 26, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hi, will understand if you totally don't remember and I realize this is several years later, but since I am currently on this topic, were you ever able to get this USB PCI card chipset to even work under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, for example? I have tried it in my G4 running that version of OS X with no luck, which contradicts the info found here which says it should work:

http://intrl.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/Card/4-Port-PCI-USB-20-Card~PCI330USB2

I also tried it under WinXP just to see if it would work, and no native support there either, again in contradiction of the specs I found. It did work fine, though, under Ubuntu Linux (can't remember which version, though)... Since OS X incorporated Linux, AFAIK there probably should be some way to use a Linux driver for this PCI card in OS X by means of either Fink or Wine (but I would have no clue how to do that.)

Anyway, the blanket statement that NEC chipsets on USB PCI cards always 'just work' when used in Mac OS X doesn't appear to always be the case.