Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayswrld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Central NJ
Please bear with me as I try to make my question as simple as possible. I have an iMac OS X 10.5.4. I don't own an iPhone or an iPod. I have a website on another host other than .mac. I don't own the latest version of iLife - my iWeb is 1.1.2, my iPhoto is 6.0.6 and my iMovie is 6.0.3. Now my question: I am considering signing up for MobileMe which I assume is the current incarnation of .mac. In order to publish a website I would need to upgrade my iLife, correct? I would use iDisk iSynch and iWeb mostly, not having a need for much of the rest. In iWeb is there a way to upload my current sites pages where were created in Freeway 4 Pro? One reason I would like to do that is because of some tables I have created which seem not to be available in iWeb. And what about keeping my present domain name; possible? The cost of MobileMe is equivalent to my present hosting fees so I would only have to purchase iLife. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You shouldn't need to upgrade to the latest iLife, though it wouldn't hurt with the added features to iWeb.

You won't be able to import any web design into iWeb. You'll have to start from scratch. It's just the way iWeb is setup.

From what I've read you should be able to use your existing domain name. You can search around for specific details.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
You can upload your old pages through the finder, you just won't be able to edit them in iWeb.

I would suggest sticking with a regular host instead of mobileme if your main uses is web hosting.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
You can upload your old pages through the finder, you just won't be able to edit them in iWeb.

I would suggest sticking with a regular host instead of mobileme if your main uses is web hosting.
But you will lose some of the benefits of iWeb likes photo galleries and comments in blogs as well as one click publishing. Plus if you pay for mobileme why not take advantage of the other benefits it offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.