PDA

View Full Version : Office X Update, and Messanger 3.0

arn
Jun 2, 2002, 11:45 PM
MacCentral (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/03.office.php) reports on a Mac OS X Office update today. New features include:

Quartz text smoothing (requires 10.1.5)
FileMaker Server integration
ODBC integration
Button face customization

along with performance, stability and bug fixes.

This hints that OS X 10.1.5 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/05/20020522171655.shtml) will be here as well.

chmorley
Jun 3, 2002, 12:07 AM
I am confused. Does this mean that Office V.x is now a Cocoa app? Given the workload associated with converting Office from Carbon to Cocoa, it seems more likely that this means Apple has figred out a way for Carbon apps to take advantage of Quartz anti-aliasing.

Anyone have any information on this? This could mean that all carbon apps could take advantage of Quartz AA! Mozilla, IE....

Hm.

Anyone know what has happened here?

Chris

dsamsa
Jun 3, 2002, 12:34 AM
Um? I just went to Mactopia, and i dont see any MSN Messenger 3.0? Is there somthing I am not seeing? I use messenger DAILY and at least three or four times a week i get mad at MICRO$OFT kuz i cant send or recive files on my mac. 3.0 seems to have fixed this problem. If anyone knows anything, please say?:confused:

fuge
Jun 3, 2002, 01:03 AM
I'm not seeing the Office or Messenger update available at the site yet.

Hope it's there tomorrow.

11:03 p.m. PST

fuge:confused:

sweetaction
Jun 3, 2002, 01:03 AM
it is likely a press release that was supposed to come out monday morning. it will be here in a bit.

Aaron

coastal593
Jun 3, 2002, 01:05 AM
all this means is that the release is imminent ... it will be here today, monday. one might assume that because the service update specifies quartz anti-aliasing, that it will require 10.1.5, and that this 10.1.5 will be released monday alongside office.

fuge
Jun 3, 2002, 01:10 AM
thanks. i went back and read the article again and realized that the service pack is dependent on 10.1.5 therefore I have to wait for the OS update before the Office one. :D

fuge

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 03:49 AM
Apple is gonna be pissed that they basically said that 10.1.5 is gonna come out today!

Foocha
Jun 3, 2002, 04:15 AM
10.1.5 does enable Carbon apps to use Quartz anti-aliasing. IE will also be able to take advantage of this.

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 05:24 AM
Anyone want messenger?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msnmessenger/install/3.0/macos/en-us/macmsgs.bin

sweetaction
Jun 3, 2002, 05:30 AM
downloading...

sweetaction
Jun 3, 2002, 05:35 AM
bad joke. its late.

nothing like some apple hype to make deadline programming seem less painful.

nice work on finding the link.

got one for the rest? 10.1.5?

Aaron

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by sweetaction
bad joke. its late.

nothing like some apple hype to make deadline programming seem less painful.

nice work on finding the link.

got one for the rest? 10.1.5?

Aaron
Sorry, I found that link on another forum. Its quite nice though.

sweetaction
Jun 3, 2002, 05:37 AM
i like the scalable icons at the top. I wonder if it will have smooth text when the rest of these updates trickle out.

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by sweetaction
i like the scalable icons at the top. I wonder if it will have smooth text when the rest of these updates trickle out.
Cool, had not noticed that!

sweetaction
Jun 3, 2002, 05:46 AM
everyone likes to dis micro$oft, but I gotta say if the get their bill$ into the pockets of programmers doing hot stuff for OSX i think that this OS will become everyones favorite.

AOL loves it.

UNIX programmers love it.

Graphic designers (though, some kicking and screaming) love it.

This will be everyones OS.

Where do you want to go today? More like, what do you want your OS to be today.

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Anyone want messenger?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msnmessenger/install/3.0/macos/en-us/macmsgs.bin
Thanks! The new look interface is really sweet!
And the fact that at last it has the smillies :D

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by verbose101

Thanks! The new look interface is really sweet!
And the fact that at last it has the smillies :D
The previous version had smillies. You just need to know the key combinations

dsamsa
Jun 3, 2002, 06:16 AM
OK! GREAT! I LUVVIT! YAY! BUTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! BIG PROBLEM! i cant get file transfer to work!! i can recive files ppl send me just fine! but when i try 2 send a file 2 a friend i get this! "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers." WTF?!?! Anyone else have this prob? Am i by myself here? Is this just MY iMac? HELP!!!!!:confused: :confused:

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Falleron

The previous version had smillies. You just need to know the key combinations
I know it had them, but it was just a pain having to key in the correct character combination each time ;)

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by dsamsa
OK! GREAT! I LUVVIT! YAY! BUTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! BIG PROBLEM! i cant get file transfer to work!! i can recive files ppl send me just fine! but when i try 2 send a file 2 a friend i get this! "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers." WTF?!?! Anyone else have this prob? Am i by myself here? Is this just MY iMac? HELP!!!!!:confused: :confused:
I would ask if the person you are trying to send to has a firewall up, that could easily be casing the problem. I know it did for me.

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 06:19 AM
Maybe something to do with OSX inbuilt firewall. Wait till OSX.1.5 comes out and see if it works then.

NB. Nobody I know that is online to test it at the moment.

dsamsa
Jun 3, 2002, 06:23 AM
add me to your buddy list dsamsa@hotmail.com

We'll see if we can figure this out please?:)

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 06:25 AM

I got name not found! Try, mine, ewan_latham@hotmail.com There is an _ between the ewan and latham

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 06:48 AM

Myself and dsamsa have just been chatting and are unable to send files to one another, I have also spoken to a msn buddie on wintel who coulld send me a file, but i could not send to him...weird...:confused:

sluthy
Jun 3, 2002, 07:41 AM
I've had the same problem with my XP box, and now the same with my iMac. I can receive, but not send. :( Grrr.

Anyway, at least the option is there now. But there's still no voicechat/
webcam support! My iMac has a built-in mic, and it's going to waste!

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 08:14 AM
Any sign of OSX.1.5 or the m$ update to office???

evidal
Jun 3, 2002, 08:36 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/OfficeX_SR1.asp

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by evidal
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/OfficeX_SR1.asp
Cheers, its gonna take a while to download on my 56k modem! Nevermind! All we need now is OSX.1.5 to make a good days updating.

evidal
Jun 3, 2002, 08:43 AM
Once again, I will have to wait for the French version.

Grrr !

Backtothemac
Jun 3, 2002, 09:02 AM
Well, messenger is much nicer than it was. Especially that you don't have to know the key combos for the emoticons any longer. That is a nice feature. OMG, It looks just like the messenger for XP :eek:

Come to me X.1.5

drastik
Jun 3, 2002, 09:37 AM
I'm still not seeing all of this on mactopia. I'm at work on a wintel box, so I have to wait to get home anyway, would like to see some pictures though.

Any word on the Palm conduit for Office X, I'd love to be able to use it like I did with 2k1, life was so much simpler then.:D

wsteineker
Jun 3, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by drastik
I'm still not seeing all of this on mactopia. I'm at work on a wintel box, so I have to wait to get home anyway, would like to see some pictures though.

Any word on the Palm conduit for Office X, I'd love to be able to use it like I did with 2k1, life was so much simpler then.:D

Yep. I do believe that Mactopia had info on a new conduit to sync Entourage X with Palm Desktop. Finally, native hotsyncs. What will those crazy programmers at the Mac BU think of next?

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have any news on 10.1.5? I've just done software update again but still nothin.

jamesbhai
Jun 3, 2002, 10:33 AM
it's due july 15.

let's give messenger a shot now......

irmongoose
Jun 3, 2002, 10:34 AM
hehe.. Arn, you spelled Messenger wrong.. It's not MessAnger... its MessEnger..

oh, and when I try to open Office, it says I need to put in my CD Key, but it doesn't accept it! I entered the same one when I first installed it, but now its not accepting it! HELP!

irmongoose

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 10:34 AM
I've just installed Office X SR1 and it is asking for the CD-key again, when I enter it it says it is not valid :mad: has anyone else had ths problem?

jamesbhai
Jun 3, 2002, 10:43 AM
Do I smell an update that counters known Office cracks???????????? Sneaky bastards.

Backtothemac
Jun 3, 2002, 10:46 AM
I've just installed Office X SR1 and it is asking for the CD-key again, when I enter it it says it is not valid :mad: has anyone else had ths problem?

Same here :mad:

Those !)_@#_(*%&!)(@#$*&%!@)_(#&%)!(@&%(@*$#%&(@#)_$&%#$)_&%#)_$(&%()_#$*&%#()_$&%)@&%@)#(&$%@)_(&$%#()*$&%#$&)(#$&%)

Ask me before the install, so I can contact Microsoft! Not after, now I have to reinstall everything!!!!

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Same here :mad:

Those !)_@#_(*%&!)(@#$*&%!@)_(#&%)!(@&%(@*$#%&(@#)_$&%#$)_&%#)_$(&%()_#$*&%#()_$&%)@&%@)#(&$%@)_(&$%#()*$&%#$&)(#$&%)

Ask me before the install, so I can contact Microsoft! Not after, now I have to reinstall everything!!!!
DAMIT!!!!!!
If I reinstall will I lose all the e-mail account settings? Or are these kept in separate identity files?

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 11:01 AM
FYI...
I have started a new thread on the problem to save overtaking this one: http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5904

Darksides
Jun 3, 2002, 11:09 AM
I have got an original Office X CD here, it didn't ask for a CD key, and it works perfectly fine. I did read last week though that the Windows XP Service Pack 1, which in due in August, does not allow certain (corporate version :) ) serial codes. I guess that is their new policy (and honestly, I would do the same if I were them). Any news on 10.1.5 yet?

edesignuk
Jun 3, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Darksides
I have got an original Office X CD here, it didn't ask for a CD key, and it works perfectly fine. I did read last week though that the Windows XP Service Pack 1, which in due in August, does not allow certain (corporate version :) ) serial codes. I guess that is their new policy (and honestly, I would do the same if I were them). Any news on 10.1.5 yet?
The problem is not with Office X, it is with the update, have you got it/run it yet? And if so then does it ask for and accept your cd-key?

Darksides
Jun 3, 2002, 11:23 AM
Well, from what I understand, it seems that it only asks for the cd-key when people have installed Office X with one of those keys which we all know of. I have installed the SP update, have a serial nobody else uses, and it didn't ask for a cd-key. And yes, I have aleady been using Word X SP1 for a couple of hours.

Backtothemac
Jun 3, 2002, 11:28 AM
Yep, that is exactly what they have done. My original copy works fine. I have a *cough* copy that won't work with the update. It appears that they have altered the process to kill pirate copies.

Can't blame them, except they should warn of this before the install.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 03:08 PM
has anyone seen any specific fixes/additions/etc after installing the updater?

just curious...

Darksides
Jun 3, 2002, 04:51 PM
Yep, check out http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/03.office.php . Word, I haven't really tried the other Office components, seems to be responding faster (finally it can keep up on my typing). The ODBC/FileMaker support is really nice, but I am really looking forward to the Quartz Text Smooting. Which won't be available until 10.1.5 is released though, was hoping for it today, but I guess that it's not going to happen.

hobie
Jun 3, 2002, 05:00 PM

DAMIT!!!!!!
If I reinstall will I lose all the e-mail account settings? Or are these kept in separate identity files?

Dont worry, after reinstalling all your mails are still there. They are in the ~/user/documents/msoffice folder, and some other stuff in the user library. Check it first though to make a copy. It worked for me before, so I guess it'll work for you too.

Sayer
Jun 3, 2002, 08:29 PM
Microsoft, a company that produces a product that people legally purchase and use (illegal monopoly or not), should warn you that if you have a pirated serial key that you will be locked out in an upgrade that specifically blocks pirated keys all so you wont lose your email?

Right.

Maybe dollar bills should say "Void if duplicated on a color copier you knob" or guns should have a tag that says "If you shoot someone with this, you could go to jail!"

Makes sense to me.

D0ct0rteeth
Jun 3, 2002, 08:55 PM
Right... Its like the crooks who break into someones house and sue the homeowner when they get attacked by their dog.

But these are the same people who complain that XYZ software isn't available for the mac... They wouldn't buy it anyway. I don't know... I hate Microsoft but they mac the best office software around and its worth every penny.

My update works... Im a happy customer.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Sayer
Microsoft, a company that produces a product that people legally purchase and use (illegal monopoly or not), should warn you that if you have a pirated serial key that you will be locked out in an upgrade that specifically blocks pirated keys all so you wont lose your email?

Right.

Maybe dollar bills should say "Void if duplicated on a color copier you knob" or guns should have a tag that says "If you shoot someone with this, you could go to jail!"

Makes sense to me.

actually, it has also happened to people who have purchased fully legal versions of office. so yeah, you could claim they are lying, but i would rather believe them, at least for the time being...

if ms did in fact find some of the serials that have floated around, and nix them, then of course some people who have the legitimate versions will get screwed. after all, those serials numbers were ok to start, til they got spread. therefore, some legal users get hosed. simple as that.

so, your attack might fit some people, but not others.

Macette
Jun 3, 2002, 09:37 PM
Well my LEGAL version didn't freakin' work - a phone call to Microsoft in Sydney (Mac? What's a Mac?) and two hours later, the thing is sorted.. but required me to reinstall on seven computers in my office; yawn. **********.

buffsldr
Jun 3, 2002, 09:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh, doesn't piracy suck sometimes?

Thanks for the warning, I guess I will chill out for a while.

Backtothemac
Jun 3, 2002, 09:57 PM
Hey Sayer,
The people who have CEA versions of it, legal copies that don't require a serial, now have to enter their serial. At the University here, they had to reinstall on over 50 systems today. Is that fair? They should know what will happen, so yes, they have an obligation to the end user.

TechLarry
Jun 3, 2002, 10:13 PM

Well, they are doing the same with XP Service Pack 1. Locking out the SP1 installation and Windows Update from systems installed with known stolen corporate keys.

I didn't have any problems updating my Office V.x at all. No request for key either.

TL

spoon
Jun 3, 2002, 11:33 PM
pirates: don't worry, someone, somewhere will find a workaround before the end of the week. but don't expect support when you're pirating software. just accept what you get, if you have to wait a week, then so be it.

paying customers: some of us pay for it, but some can't. i don't care, i have my own web agency, we HAVE to keep original software. let the home users and kids use it for free. if they can figure out where to find it and how to make it work.

MacBU works well. loved Messenger 3.0.

although it could have the option to bounce once instead of incessantly. and having new messages recieved minimized, instead of popping up.

A@ron
Jun 4, 2002, 01:08 AM
Ha a week some people thought it would take a week? Here is a hint check out here (http://www.macserialjunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2534). Im sorry if this link violated the purpose of these boards and feel free to edit my post if it did. Afterall, I purchased it through my educational institution for $7 and completely legal :) ... I just can't believe that M$ thought that this would buy them any kind of time. It will only buy them time if serial numbers are linked to purchasers through credit cards and unique bar codes on boxes :) won't ever happen. Well hopefully not at least... if you don't like theft or the problems of this update try apple works :)

A@ron

Macette
Jun 4, 2002, 01:47 AM
after all my hassles this morning with the CD key etc, i then got it all happening... only for it to choke on our CORPORATE FONT! we use it for EVERYTHING!

word would 'unexpectedly quit' every time i opened it (not so unexpected), so i thought: it's fonts (we'd had some font probs before). So i ditched some fonts and tried it... still crashed. so i ditched more fonts and tried it - still crashing. so i finally stripped it back to jus mac system fonts and it was fine. then i build back up, one by one, only to discover that it chokes on our corporate font. blah.

so what now?

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by A@ron
Ha a week some people thought it would take a week? ...

hehe... so much for microsoft security systems... :rolleyes:

Foocha
Jun 4, 2002, 03:42 AM
If you are the owner of a legitimate copy of Office, and strangely "somehow" your serial number ends up being distributed all over the Web, then I think it is your problem if Microsoft blocks your serial number. I'm sure Microsoft would be very interested to talk to you about it if you want to give them a call on their toll-free support number ;)

Of course people will always find ways to get around these security measures - Microsoft's objective here is just the same as any other software vendor - to make it as difficult as possible for pirates. Clearly with this update they have succeeded.

I had always thought that Mac users were better about buying software than PC users - I'm quite suprise by the number of people on this board who have revealed to the world that they use pirate software, <paranoia>not a good idea to do that by the way - you've got no idea who is reading these boards</paranoia>

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Foocha

I had always thought that Mac users were better about buying software than PC users - I'm quite suprise by the number of people on this board who have revealed to the world that they use pirate software, <paranoia>not a good idea to do that by the way - you've got no idea who is reading these boards</paranoia>

I think it's probably a case of mac users being better about buying software *except* when that software happens to be produced by microsoft. Whilst my activities on the net haven't always been strictly legal, software produced by the apple, adobe and the like have been deserving of support, and i gladly paid for that. (of note: my office is legal, bought through my university at a discount)

j763
Jun 4, 2002, 07:00 AM
im probably going to get flamed for this, but:

OMG, u ppl are so stupid to run an m$ update on a p!r8ed piece of software... especially b4 other ppl have run it and reported back as to how it went...

I've got a perfectly legal copy of Office v.X and I ran the update and it worked fine... no problems... really, it's only $150 USD (for the academic version), so fork out the money and buy the thing or else stop b**ching about it!

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by j763

I've got a perfectly legal copy of Office v.X and I ran the update and it worked fine... no problems... really, it's only $150 USD (for the academic version), so fork out the money and buy the thing or else stop b**ching about it!
$150, that I would pay, but, not all of us are students and there is no way I am paying 400 for it!

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 08:29 AM
OMG

Let me say this slowly for everyone. This is not just effecting borrowed copies of the software. If you have an OEM, or non-license, or CEA copy, then it will not work. All of these methods are legal, and legit copies. Now are the majority of people complaing Capt. Hook. Probably, but that doesn't mean that there are not real problems with this update. 2 hours on the phone to M$ yesterday to fix the problem on one system on our network. Crazy, wrong, and stupid. They should realize that they will never stop it, it will always happen, until they link every copy to one user by a special serial number, or credit card, or something. Hey they are M$, give them time.

Rower_CPU
Jun 4, 2002, 12:21 PM
Here's what's going on with me:

Educational Site License, so no need to enter a serial, but I get prompted EVERY time I open an office app to re-enter my name, company, etc.

Not disastrous, but annoying nevertheless.

whawho
Jun 4, 2002, 02:20 PM
I had a borrowed copy of Office and deleted it off my system in favor of Appleworks (that I bought). I only really needed Office for Word so why shell out 400 bucks for Office.

Now if I only could get rid of IE...which will never happen because I have to test websites in it. :rolleyes:

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by whawho
I had a borrowed copy of Office and deleted it off my system in favor of Appleworks (that I bought). I only really needed Office for Word so why shell out 400 bucks for Office.

Now if I only could get rid of IE...which will never happen because I have to test websites in it. :rolleyes:

Yep, I know how you feel. I fixed my CEA version, but I only have Appleworks on the iMac at home. Lets all hope that either Mozilla, Netscape, Omni Web, or Chimera, or (my God there are a lot of browsers for Mac ) ;) ) turn out to be a Kick A$$ browser, so we can get rid of IE.

elgruga
Jun 4, 2002, 09:00 PM
Pirate: a person who is dedicated to fighting the evil empire, and is profoundly addicted to freedom.

Microsoft: just another ********* evil empire, same as they ever were throughout the ages, robber barons, spanish conquistadores, americans killing native indians, australians wiping out aboriginal people, and on and on the story goes.

Its a small thing, but why let an illegal monopoly get away with it? The tiny amount of pirated serial numbers is one way of fighting back.

Some may think that linking M$ to evil and genocidal acts is a bit far-fetched, but its the over-reaching desires of obscenely rich people like gates that fuel the crap in our world.

I am forced to use M$ office because our business types refuse to use anything else - "its the standard" they bleat, "everyone uses it", they whine.

As Charles Bukowski said, " When the masses go in one direction, run like
******* in the opposite direction"
No, I am not a terrorist or a criminal, just a guy who doesnt like being pushed around by corporations who, it seems, cannot be stopped by the rule of law.

Why should the pirates obey the law when M$ dont?

whawho
Jun 5, 2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by elgruga
Pirate: a person who is dedicated to fighting the evil empire, and is profoundly addicted to freedom.

Microsoft: just another ********* evil empire, same as they ever were throughout the ages, robber barons, spanish conquistadores, americans killing native indians, australians wiping out aboriginal people, and on and on the story goes.

Its a small thing, but why let an illegal monopoly get away with it? The tiny amount of pirated serial numbers is one way of fighting back.

Some may think that linking M$ to evil and genocidal acts is a bit far-fetched, but its the over-reaching desires of obscenely rich people like gates that fuel the crap in our world.

I am forced to use M$ office because our business types refuse to use anything else - "its the standard" they bleat, "everyone uses it", they whine.

As Charles Bukowski said, " When the masses go in one direction, run like
******* in the opposite direction"
No, I am not a terrorist or a criminal, just a guy who doesnt like being pushed around by corporations who, it seems, cannot be stopped by the rule of law.

Why should the pirates obey the law when M$ dont?

I'd rather not steal from M$ because then I am still using their product. I just try and not steal whether it be from Microsoft or anybody. While Microsoft may be an evil empire they have created products that everyone uses. And ANY company would love to be in Microsoft's shoes as far as market share goes.

Pirating is wrong any way you try and look at it and it accounts for 1/4 of all software. http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/consequences.html

While that link is from Adobe and may be biased I still think it brings up some valid points.

Falleron
Jun 5, 2002, 10:44 AM
Has anyone sorted out file transfer for MSN Messenger?? I have started a new thread for this topic.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=6031

Please post if you any ideas / solutions.

GabrielX
Jun 5, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by elgruga

I think you got your definitions mixed up.

Privateer: A person who is permitted by law to fight against the enemies of his state.

Pirate: A thief.

Now, when the Federal or State government permit the stealing of Microsoft's software, then maybe you can call yourself a privateer.

But until then...a thief by any other name...is still a thief.

Gabriel
(who has pirated software, but who thinks that elgruga's definition was so idiotic that it required commentary. Don't try to cloak your theft in pseudo-patriotism...call yourself a thief and be done.)

jamesbhai
Jun 7, 2002, 01:16 PM
I've updated office with the nice, new, posted serial. it opens fine, but every time i relaunch an office app., i have to reenter the Personal Information and CD Key.

any ideas?

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jamesbhai
I've updated office with the nice, new, posted serial. it opens fine, but every time i relaunch an office app., i have to reenter the Personal Information and CD Key.

any ideas?

I have the same thing with my campus site license version, except it doesn't ask for the CD Key...it's VERY annoying!

chmorley
Jun 7, 2002, 09:06 PM
I had just quit Entourage when I realized I had to re-start it. I re-started it as soon as it no longer had the black triangle beneath it. It came up with a warning that said that I already had a copy of Office X running on my network (not so) and that it was going to quit. I allowed it to quit fully, then re-started it without problems.

Very friggin' annoying.

Chris

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 07:45 AM
Does anyone else find that entourage (the only part of v.X i actually use :p) often has trouble with the date? I've received sevel emails in the past week, with date of 'Tomorrow'. It's kind of odd. I thought this service release was supposed to fix thousands of minor bugs? Knowing microsoft, that was probably just a fraction of all the ones there are... :rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2002, 07:59 AM
i've never seen that problem britboy. at least not enough to catch my eye.

and you're sure it's not the fault on the side of the person sending to you?

just cause they fixed thousands doesn't mean there aren't 10s of thousands more! you know ms.

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
and you're sure it's not the fault on the side of the person sending to you?

How could that be the case? It's happened with emails and news-group posting from more than one person. The oddity shows up in the 'Sent' field.

It's not a critical problem, just a niggling annoyance. I'll live... :p

chmorley
Jun 8, 2002, 03:11 PM
You'd think it pulls the current date from the system. Is your system date set correctly? If it is, you'd think others would have the same issue. I don't. Do others?

Chris

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by chmorley
Is your system date set correctly?

I should hope so. The time/date is set by the apple europe server.

Anyway, it's not a major problem. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed something like this. It doesn't happen all the time, just once or twice a week.