PDA

View Full Version : Does Google Maps Save Caches/Locations? (SOLUTION?)

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
I live in Los Angeles and have noticed within my Google Maps on my iPod Touch that when I pinch in towards say my city, I'll get a good close up view of it even if I don't have internet. Same goes when I pinch of to another city 20 miles away where my GF and Best Friend live; all without having to be on Wifi.

Does Google Maps save locations I visit? Is it that easy or a bit more to that?

I've had my Touch for almost 2 months now and on Google Maps have a good view of L.A. Enough to see the freeways without being online, but not close up enough to view streets in case I get lost somewhere. Except in a few narrow areas like a 3 block radius of my friends house, or GF's house.

How does this work cause as mentioned in another post going around here, people with an iPod Touch don't nessecarilly need a saved map of the U.S. but a good map of their home city would be beneficial.

IF not through Google Maps then how? Though Google Maps App would be most satisfactory.

basaltfd
Oct 25, 2008, 04:35 PM
mine says i'm in denver area and i'm 180 miles west of denever
what gives?????????is ther a reset to location finder for yahoo map on the itouch 8gb

HappyDude20
Oct 25, 2008, 05:09 PM
yahoo map on the itouch 8gb

...Yahoo?

HappyDude20
Oct 26, 2008, 03:36 PM
so I tested this out last night.

I was at a wifi hot spot and found my current location whever I was located. I then just clicked on a random part of the map, somewhere I've never been at before and zoomed in by this river. I then hung out with some friends where there was not any wifi and tried to find that river. It worked and even zoomed into the resendential streets. Guess it does save them.

Awesome!!!!!

Mechanicus
Oct 26, 2008, 08:42 PM
Damn, Google maps isn't in the itunes store anymore. I was hoping to get that one.

HappyDude20
Oct 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Damn, Google maps isn't in the itunes store anymore. I was hoping to get that one.

wait, what? Google Maps in the iTunes Store?

Mechanicus
Oct 26, 2008, 09:40 PM
wait, what? Google Maps in the iTunes Store?

under the apps.

TheZimm
Oct 27, 2008, 06:12 AM
Solution!!!

Google Earth just recently announced to the app store, caches everywhere you have looked; so ahead of tim where there's wifi look at how ever close you want to look at something, then you can leave the wifi area and go back into the app, it'll ask you if you want to use the app even though you don't have a wifi connection, and use caches info, tap yes and then it brings you to your last looked place and any where else you've looked

Zym

andybno1
Oct 27, 2008, 07:56 AM
Solution!!!

Google Earth just recently announced to the app store, caches everywhere you have looked; so ahead of tim where there's wifi look at how ever close you want to look at something, then you can leave the wifi area and go back into the app, it'll ask you if you want to use the app even though you don't have a wifi connection, and use caches info, tap yes and then it brings you to your last looked place and any where else you've looked

Zym

personally I think this is how maps.app should be now but maybe thats too level headed thinkin for apple/google to comprehend lol

HappyDude20
Oct 27, 2008, 08:49 AM
personally I think this is how maps.app should be now but maybe thats too level headed thinkin for apple/google to comprehend lol

But Maps works like that. For me at least. I spent 30 minutes yesterday purposely zooming in and out of where i live and most of southern california. Now I can pretty much zoom in and see whervever I want without being online. I now have a map of los angeles on the go!

andybno1
Oct 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
But Maps works like that. For me at least. I spent 30 minutes yesterday purposely zooming in and out of where i live and most of southern california. Now I can pretty much zoom in and see whervever I want without being online. I now have a map of los angeles on the go!

when I use maps and leave it open I am allowed to see what I have already viewed but once u close the app all is lost when u go back always has done since they had the maps app on installer back in the days of firmware 1.1.2

TheZimm
Oct 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
when I use maps and leave it open I am allowed to see what I have already viewed but once u close the app all is lost when u go back always has done since they had the maps app on installer back in the days of firmware 1.1.2
i remember this on 1.1.4 too =]

Zym

Mechanicus
Oct 28, 2008, 12:25 AM
Where did you guys download Google Maps? I've searched all of the itunes store and it's not in there.

HappyDude20
Oct 28, 2008, 01:13 AM
to this day every location i've checked out using the maps app are still there for me to view, even when im not online.

i live in l.a. and can even swipe to san diego and view it well since i visited there about a month ago. im glad i spent 30 minutes yesterday just swiping all over l.a. since this morning was in a city i hadn't been in in years and got street names and found my way.

i wonder why it doesnt work for some.

andybno1
Oct 28, 2008, 01:21 AM
Where did you guys download Google Maps? I've searched all of the itunes store and it's not in there.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293622097&mt=8

Mechanicus
Oct 28, 2008, 01:58 AM
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293622097&mt=8

that's google earth. I still can't find Google Maps.

HappyDude20
Oct 28, 2008, 02:38 AM

Um...the app that comes with all ipod touches installed is what i'm referring to........................................

andybno1
Oct 28, 2008, 04:25 AM

Um...the app that comes with all ipod touches installed is what i'm referring to........................................

google maps already comes with 2.x firmware its called maps :rolleyes: