Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

months

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys, I just got the glassbook 2.4 the other day, totally loving it it's amazing

But this is my first mac, when i close the notebook, everything shuts off, like if i'm playing music on my iTunes it stops, for example. I've seen people close their macbooks and music keeps playing, I was looking for a setting in system preferences but i couldnt find it, where do I alter is so that the programs keep running when i close the macbook?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yes, that's the proper behavior, and it cannot be changed through a change of preferences; when you close the lid, the macbook is supposed to go to sleep.

However, you can run it in "clamshell" mode with an external screen, or you can install a program such as InsomniaX (which is a very popular 3rd party solution, however, it is not endorsed by Apple).

months

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Toronto
Yes, that's the proper behavior, and it cannot be changed through a change of preferences; when you close the lid, the macbook is supposed to go to sleep.

However, you can run it in "clamshell" mode with an external screen, or you can install a program such as InsomniaX (which is a very popular 3rd party solution, however, it is not endorsed by Apple).

So my friend had to have a program like that? He's not techy at all though he wouldnt know how to do something like that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.