Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecrasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a G3 clamshell iBook as a Christmas gift for a Mac geek! eBay is loaded with them. Could I get your advice on a good price? I'm not seeing much for under $75-100 with shipping, most aren't auctioned off with a power supply or AirPort card... I'd like to stay at $50... so is it even worth buying one? I've kept an eye on Craigslist as well. He already has a Macbook and is saving up for a MBP, this would just be for a fun gift to show off at Starbucks.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Save your money. There's no way you're going to get a reasonable Clamshell for $50. An AirPort card by itself and 512 RAM (what you need to run Tiger reasonably) will cost more than $50. If you're willing to purchase a Clamshell in cosmetically poor shape, doesn't have FireWire (which means it can't easily run Tiger w/o XPostFacto, has a 3-6 GIG HD, CD-ROM drive, has no working battery, and/or probably has no restore cds as well as OS 8/9 go for it! If you're willing to up your price to about $125-150 you should be able to get a much more useable Clamshell.

To put it into perspective: I sold my 466 Mhz Clamshell (MINT MINT MINT shape) and totally fully loaded for $400-450 last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.