PDA

View Full Version : newbie moronic question

zanuzan
Feb 4, 2004, 12:47 AM
I am creating a fairly simple site but I am banging my head against the wall.

Basically I want the main body of the site to be a certain size and aspect ratio --fixed. I will create 2 versions a lo rez and a hi rez.

The BG color does not change but pushing on < > on the side of the main body just brings up pictures that need to be fixed in terms of placement on top of the BG.

I have both Dreamweaver and GoLive--not sure which one I am going to use.

Do I treat the BG as a BG or do I bake it all into one file--meaning the pictures and the BG are one JPEG etc. Remember I want a fixed size/aspect ratio. So then each < > press brings up a separate JPEG. How do I set up a page to be a fixed size, the same as this JPEG? Can I put text on top of this or does it have to be a BG for this?

I can set this all up in Photoshop/ImageReady. Right now the whole design resides in After Effects. It is a total of 15 pages.

The reason I ask is I want the files to not be overly huge but I do want a fixed look. So if that is the only to get a fixed look, I will do it. Also I am wanting to do this myself since it should be pretty straightforward and I want to learn so I can update it in the future.

Sorry I am such a noob.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Rower_CPU
Feb 4, 2004, 01:15 AM
'K, lots to deal with there...

Can you post a layout or something you already have online for us to look at? It really helps to see exactly what you're trying to do.

I'm going to say that absolutely you should style the page background color and leave the graphics separate. It's very doable, but I'd like to see your whole design before I go further.

zanuzan
Feb 4, 2004, 01:33 AM
Nothing online yet. But I can upload a JPEG. Never done that here before so I will try.

Basically think of a rectangular page with set info on the bottom and different pictures in a set way at the top.

So each page will have different photos arranged a particular way. Except for 2 pages described below.

When you press "photography" you get a brief description on the existing page.

No rollerover effects on any of the text, just a cursor change when near the text.

When you press "VFX" it will go to another page (same BG) with a resume and a quicktime link.

When you press "student film" it will go to another page (same BG) with a brief description and a quicktime link.

Also When you press any of the photos a high rez version will load in a separate window.

Hmm. Simple or not so simple? It sounds simple but maybe the implementation isn't?

Many thanks

mnkeybsness
Feb 4, 2004, 08:53 AM
with such a simple design, i see no reason that you would need to have "hi res" and "lo res" versions of the site. you could easily make it dynamically scale.