PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV 250GB Hard Drive Upgrade Success - with instructions

paduck
Oct 26, 2008, 12:11 AM
UPDATE 8/23/09 - The cloning of an ATV hard drive can also be accomplished via Dynaflash's ATV Cloner program. It can be found here:

http://dynaflashtech.net/

Original Article Follows:

A few months ago, I got a 40GB Apple TV from eBay for $60 to put the kids' videos on. It worked great, but the hard drive was too small to store all the videos I wanted on it. I wasn't keen on streaming and don't have my iMac on all the time. Since my Apple TV isn't under warranty, there was no obstacle to doing the upgrade. I took the plunge this weekend and upgraded the hard drive on my Apple TV to 250GB since Microcenter was running a special on the WD Scorpio drive for $90. I did a hybrid installation using suggestions from several web pages. The upgrade went very well, I rebooted, did a factory restore, upgraded to Apple TV v2.2 of the software and resynced everything. Works great!

For those of you who care about the details, here they are:

References:

Engadget "How to Upgrade the Drive in your Apple TV"
http://img.engadget.com/2007/03/23/how-to-upgrade-the-drive-in-your-apple-tv/

Awkwardtv.org "Hard Drive Upgrade Tutorial"
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Prepare_a_Hard_Drive#Preparing_the_partition_table

Waroth.K in the AppleTVHack's Forums
http://appletvhacks.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66#p188

My goal was to reliably do the upgrade without having to wait forever to copy blank data from the 40GB hard drive I had in the Apple TV. It seemed unnecessary to waste time or disk space on that. A review of the available references above seemed to indicate that just copying the EFI and Apple_Recovery partitions from the Apple TV would be sufficient. To be on the safe side, I wanted to make disk images of those two partitions as well. I also had some reservations because there seemed to be an indication in forums and web pages that doing the upgrade using a PowerPC instead of an Intel Mac might be problematic. It turned out not to be.

Equipment:

Apple TV 40GB; Western Digital 250GB 2.5 inch IDE hard drive (WD2500BEVE); i-Connect 3-in-1 USB drive adaptor, 8GB USB keydrive, TORX-8 and TORX-10 screwdrivers, and a G5 iMac.

The plan:

1. Pull the Apple TV original hard drive
2. Copy the EFI and RECOVERY partitions to DMG files on the USB keydrive
3. Properly format and install appropriate partitions onto the new 250GB drive
4. Install the 250GB into the Apple TV
5. Connect and update Apple TV software
6. Sync everything in iTunes onto the Apple TV (approximately 60GB)
7. Store original 40GB Apple TV drive

The Engadget instructions for taking apart the Apple TV are very good and they have nice pictures. So, I had no trouble pulling the drive.

Once I had the drive, I wanted to connect it with minimal chance of corruption to the iMac, so I booted into single-user mode. Unfortunately, the diskutil command wasn't available there, so I rebooted. The had the unfortunate effect of putting copies of Spotlight indexes in my OSBoot partition and Media partitions on my original drive. I deleted them (the Engadget instructions were helpful there), but I'll note it here for everyone's benefit - everything didn't go 100% according to plan, but it all worked out. I probably should have put a utility on my Mac that turned off Spotlight. Still, no harm seems to have been done, although I was very concerned for awhile.

Once I rebooted my Mac from single-user mode, I went straight into the Terminal and got a listing of all the disks. Note that my Apple TV ended up being /dev/disk1 and the USB drive where I wanted to store my disk images was /dev/disk2. The USB disk is called "paul".

Below, Courier font for everything in the Terminal. Bold for what I actually typed in.

Last login: Sat Oct 25 20:40:28 on console
[iMacG5:~] paul% diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk0
1: Apple_partition_map 31.5 Ki disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 232.8 Gi disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *37.3 Gi disk1
1: EFI 34.0 Mi disk1s1
2: Apple_Recovery 400.0 Mi disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS OSBoot 900.0 Mi disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS Media 35.8 Gi disk1s4
/dev/disk2
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *7.5 Gi disk2
1: Apple_HFS paul 7.5 Gi disk2s1

after identifying all the disks, I plotted out my commands on paper first. I started out using the AwkwardTV instructions to make copies of the EFI and Apple_Recovery partitions. AwkwardTV used the "sudo" command to preface every other command. It is unclear to me if this is necessary, but I used it and it worked. Someone who understands Unix a little better can explain whether or not it is redundant. Note that I use the full disk name for my USB keydrive "/Volumes/paul/". According to AwkwardTV, my Apple_Recovery partition should be 419430400 bytes. Mine was actually 419405824. This had be concerned as well, but again, all seems to work in the end.

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful
[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo dd if=/dev/disk1s1 of=/Volumes/paul/efi.dmg bs=1m
34+0 records in
34+0 records out
35651584 bytes transferred in 14.665292 secs (2431018 bytes/sec)
[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo dd if=/dev/disk1s2 of=/Volumes/paul/recovery.dmg bs=1m
399+1 records in
399+1 records out
419405824 bytes transferred in 175.350872 secs (2391809 bytes/sec)

At this point, I ejected the original Apple TV 40GB drive.

[iMacG5:~] paul% diskutil eject disk1
Disk disk1 ejected

Then I added the new, blank, 250GB Western Digital drive. Continuing on with the AwkwardTV instructions, I found that the command "gpt destroy /dev/disk1" didn't take as the drive appears unformatted. Again a little concerning, but I just moved on to the next command which was basically to initialize the disk.

/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
0: *232.9 Gi disk1
/dev/disk2
[iMacG5:~] paul% diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo gpt create /dev/disk1

With a successfully created disk, now was the time to add the partitions. I used AwkwardTV's MacOS 10.5 instructions:

Adding the EFI partition (note, AwkwardTV recommended unmounting the disk before almost every command).

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 69632 -t efi /dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s1 added

Adding the Apple_Recovery partition (I do not know why it has the strange name beginning with "5265636F-")

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo gpt add -b 69672 -i 2 -s 819200 -t 5265636F-7665-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC /dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s2 added

Create the OSBoot Partition:

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo gpt add -b 888872 -i 3 -s 1843200 -t hfs /dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s3 added

Now a little more tricky, create the Media partition. To find out the right numbers to plug in for the appropriate size, you have to take a look at the disk. Note that the two key numbers in the final "gpt" command are in the start and size columns (2732072 and 485665063). Depending on the size of your hard drive, these numbers may be different.

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo gpt show /dev/disk1
start size index contents
0 1 PMBR
1 1 Pri GPT header
2 32 Pri GPT table
34 6
40 69632 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
69672 819200 2 GPT part - 5265636F-7665-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
888872 1843200 3 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
2732072 485665063
488397135 32 Sec GPT table
488397167 1 Sec GPT header
[iMacG5:~] paul% gpt add -b 2732072 -i 4 -s 485665063 -t hfs /dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s4 added

Now it's time to copy my disk images for the EFI and Apple_Recovery partitions onto the new Apple TV drive. Note that I am putting in the full name of the disk drive they reside on "/Volumes/paul/".

[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo dd if=/Volumes/paul/efi.dmg of=/dev/disk1s1 bs=1m
34+0 records in
34+0 records out
35651584 bytes transferred in 7.474555 secs (4769727 bytes/sec)
[iMacG5:~] paul% sudo dd if=/Volumes/paul/recovery.dmg of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=1m
399+1 records in
399+1 records out
419405824 bytes transferred in 75.162186 secs (5580011 bytes/sec)
/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk1
3: Apple_HFS 900.0 Mi disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS 231.6 Gi disk1s4
/dev/disk2

Now at this point, AwkwardTV says that you are done. I know that I have blank OSBoot and Media partitions, because I just created them from scratch. However, I went ahead and followed Waroth.K's instructions to remove the partitions and put them back on. I'm thinking that this might be redundant. Perhaps the configuration statements below can be simply replace AwkwardTV's partition creation statements? I'm unclear. Doing it twice didn't harm anything though. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts about this.

Disk disk1 ejected
[iMacG5:~] paul% gpt remove -i 4 disk1
disk1s4 removed
Disk disk1 ejected
[iMacG5:~] paul% gpt show disk1
start size index contents
0 1 PMBR
1 1 Pri GPT header
2 32 Pri GPT table
34 6
40 69632 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
69672 819200 2 GPT part - 5265636F-7665-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
888872 1843200 3 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
2732072 485665063
488397135 32 Sec GPT table
488397167 1 Sec GPT header
Disk disk1 ejected
[iMacG5:~] paul% gpt add -b 2732072 -i 4 -t hfs /dev/disk1
/dev/disk1s4 added
Disk disk1 ejected
[iMacG5:~] paul% newfs_hfs -J -v Media /dev/disk1s4
Initialized /dev/rdisk1s4 as a 232 GB HFS Plus volume with a 24576k journal
/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk1
3: Apple_HFS 900.0 Mi disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS 231.6 Gi disk1s4
/dev/disk2
Disk disk1 ejected
[iMacG5:~] paul%

This is the point where I put the drive back into the Apple TV and rebooted. It asked for a factory restore, which I approved. Then I configured it, downloaded v2.2 of the software (my Apple TV has 1.0 native), and synced everything over ethernet.

I apologize for the long post. I hope there are people out there who find it helpful. I know that I had a lot of reservations about doing this upgrade (mainly worried about bricking my original hard drive), but it turned out to be pretty simple, even if I had a few bumps along the way. The end result, after about four hours of work (mostly syncing) is a 231GB Apple TV with about 60GB of content installed. Total cost was $125 if you include the SATA/IDE adapter ($20) and a set of screwdrivers from Radio Shack ($15). I used a USB keydrive to store the disk images on, but I have subsequently copied them off to my hard drive for safe keeping. With the initial investment of $60 for the Apple TV, I am one very happy customer.

Padraic
Oct 26, 2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the concise instructions! I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing, now that you've gone and done all the hard work I may just take the plunge and do it! :D

spencers
Oct 26, 2008, 11:08 AM
Very nice writeup. Thanks for the time you made to write it!
I plan on doing this soon.

ironjaw
Oct 26, 2008, 11:32 AM
:cool:

skydog
Oct 26, 2008, 10:50 PM
Excellent work and detail you put into this project!

dubhe
Oct 31, 2008, 04:31 PM
Can you not just take out the drive and Carbon Copy Clone it to the new bigger drive?

paduck
Oct 31, 2008, 06:42 PM
Can you not just take out the drive and Carbon Copy Clone it to the new bigger drive?

It isn't that easy, I don't think. Specifically, the EFI and Restore partitions aren't standard and ATV is extremely tempermental about how it's drive is supposed to look. But I'm not a Unix guru, so I just went with the directions I found on the web. The above instructions are simply the combined instructions from others with appropriate references. The fact that it is tried and proven to work is important - I wasn't trying to break new ground.

TheSpaz
Nov 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
I just bought my pre-setup 250GB Apple TV Hard Drive from Ebay... the only thing I had to do was put it in. The software was already on it. Hehe.

mavis
Nov 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hi paduck,

I just wanted to thank you PROFUSELY for this great tutorial - after spending hours following three or four other tuts, I ran across this one and voila! I've got a 250GB Apple TV now. And in a fraction of the time the other methods took.

So, THANK YOU. I appreciate the fact that you took your time to post this. :)

Chris Rogers
Nov 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
would this work with any size HDD?

Are you able to add an external drive to the back and view content off of it?

tom1971
Nov 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
would this work with any size HDD?

Are you able to add an external drive to the back and view content off of it?

If you refer to an external USB drive - yes. You have to patch your ATV first and you can even sync directly to the external drive with a few commands.

mavis
Nov 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
If you refer to an external USB drive - yes. You have to patch your ATV first and you can even sync directly to the external drive with a few commands.Really? I've read that iTunes will still only sync to the Media partition, and that the external drive is only used by Boxee/XBMC etc ...

Anyway, this great tutorial is simple enough (you basically just copy & paste the terminal commands!), fast enough (twenty minutes, tops), and cheap enough (I picked up my 250GB WD Scorpio WD2500BEVE for less than $90) that it makes sense to just do it. :)

karlnorling
Nov 15, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Paul and thanks for the awesome guide.

I ran into some bumps as you did when figuring this out. The reason behind my post is that I have one bump left. The factory restore won't work for me, the progress bar goes halfway and then it says that the factory restore has failed.

As I said, I followed your steps. I even took the 250 drive out of the appletv and repeated the steps and plugged it in again, but still, the same thing kept happening.

Worth mentioning is that I bought a new AppleTV, could that have something to do with it? The Scorpio drive is brand new also.

I made a copy of the OSBoot disk1s3 also and put it on the Scorpio drive.
I will see if that helps.
RESULT: No good he.

After a number of times erasing the drive / destroying the gpt. All I get now is just the Apple logo and when pressing any button on the remote a solid white light. I can hear that the HD is doing something. I can wait like 30 min, same Apple logo.

Should I maybe buy a new Scorpio drive?

Thanks / Karl

Chris Rogers
Nov 15, 2008, 11:25 PM
If you refer to an external USB drive - yes. You have to patch your ATV first and you can even sync directly to the external drive with a few commands.

awesome, I can't find the patch though

paduck
Nov 18, 2008, 05:32 PM
Guys - thanks for the feedback. I am glad someone else found the information useful.

Chris Rogers - This should work with any size hard drive. You just have to be careful at certain points to enter in the unique drive size numbers at the appropriate point. The only real difference will probably be the high-end (signifying the ending blocks), but that is where to watch for any hiccups.

External hard drives - not having done it, I don't want to claim to be an expert, but you can hook up an unpatched external SATA hard drive by using an IDE-SATA converter (which costs about $6). Then the AppleTV will run with the larger hard drive in an unpatched mode. With all external drives, you need to ensure that they spin up before the AppleTV is turned on.

karlnoring - my guess is that you either have Spotlight files copied into your directory or the file partitiions aren't quite the right size. It might help if you boot your Mac into "safe" mode before entering the terminal. Also, verify that you are using the right partition size numbers - there are steps in the above process that you should replace my numbers with the numbers you see on your installation. I doubt the problem is with your Scorpio drive, although that might be a place to start. When you install the original AppleTV drive, does it work? I would have recommended purchasing a used one off eBay if you were planning on modifying it - cheaper and no warranty to kill. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Maxwell Smart
Nov 28, 2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you SO very much for the clear concise directions. After trying a few different methods and having them bomb each time, this was the best, most straightforward and quickest guide I came across. It worked perfectly with a 160GB upgrade on an original 40GB Apple TV. I couldn't be happier, thanks again.

karlnorling
Dec 10, 2008, 11:44 PM
paduck - thanks for your response. I figured the apple.tv 2.4 would help me but no, I made another efi and recovery image from the org apple drive and yes it still works when I plug it in.

After I went through the process again with the new drive and plug it in, I get a slightly different experience, it keeps rebooting all the time, not going into a recovery mode again, I also tested by putting the OSboot partition from the org drive, it still would reboot it self.

so my conclusion is two things, either Spotlight files, or the apple tv is really cranky about the partitions, I would say the partitions aren't what they should be. I assume it's the efi that's the primary partition that's supposed to start it up.

I also read a interesting fact on AwkwardTV Guide about upgrading HD.

"There is a little bit of voodoo involved in recreating the partitions on the new disk, because of strange behavior of diskutil. The OSBoot and Media partitions must be created and formatted before the EFI and Recovery partitions are on the disk. Otherwise, diskutil gets confused and does some strange things to the partition table. This method should take less than 10 minutes to complete, because only the EFI and Recovery partition are duplicated from the factory disk. The OSBBoot partition and Media get initialized by the Apple TV Factory Restore procedure. "

Didn't work that either. I'm starting to thing that it's the efi.dmg that some what get's corrupted.

funkyp56
Dec 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
I was gonna go this but just being able to access my home mac from apple tv is easier plus I only have an 80gb disk to upgrade to. does not seem worth it at this point. read the whole write up though. thanks for posting!

TheSpaz
Dec 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
The 250GB drive I got from eBay was all set up and ready to go. However, my Apple TV moved very slowly after and often times my thumbnails wouldn't even load. I tried restoring multiple times and nothing seemed to work. I figured it was the drive itself, so I swapped it out with the original 40GB drive it came with and everything is fast and smooth again.

mavis
Dec 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The 250GB drive I got from eBay was all set up and ready to go. However, my Apple TV moved very slowly after and often times my thumbnails wouldn't even load. I tried restoring multiple times and nothing seemed to work. I figured it was the drive itself, so I swapped it out with the original 40GB drive it came with and everything is fast and smooth again.

Odd. Mine is just fine. It actually should be faster than the default drive because the 250GB drive is 5400RPM, as opposed to the stock drive's 4200RPM. ;)

TheSpaz
Dec 21, 2008, 09:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Odd. Mine is just fine. It actually should be faster than the default drive because the 250GB drive is 5400RPM, as opposed to the stock drive's 4200RPM. ;)

I think mine is damaged.

mavis
Dec 21, 2008, 10:54 AM

I think mine is damaged.

Well, this time save yourself some coin and just DIY - this is a great tutorial here, easy to follow and it works perfectly. And if your new drive fails, it'll be under warranty ...

chadamorrill
Jan 13, 2009, 07:46 AM
I agree, fantastic tutorial. I will comment on the "not sure this is needed/this sounds redundant" part though. In this section, it appears as if you are formatting the media partition HFS Journaled. This is key. I ejected and unplugged the drive, threw it into the AppleTV only to find that it would boot, but fail on a Factory Restore.

Not being sure why, I threw the drive back into the sled, followed Engadget's instructions to format the OSBoot and Media partitions, only to find that the partition map got screwed up (EFI had changed from disk1s1 to disk1s3, and OSBoot was disk1s2.) I did it twice to see if I had screwed up the commands, only to have the partition map screw up AGAIN, so I'm not sure I did anything wrong. But in the end, I had formatted both the OSBoot and Media partitions for the first time, and I think this is key.

I then deleted all partitions on the disk, and proceeded to rebuild them following these instructions. I then performed the secondary/redundant section as well, threw the drive back into the AppleTV, and factory restored with no problem.

I'm still syncing content, but the thing boots so much faster than when I had the USB hack installed. I'm a VERY happy camper so far. If that changes, I'll let you all know :)

Thanks for the great instructions!

jdmstar
Jan 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
I just bought my pre-setup 250GB Apple TV Hard Drive from Ebay... the only thing I had to do was put it in. The software was already on it. Hehe.

LOL thanks for the advice.

I priced out the same if i did it myself and it costs 111.00 for parts alone and this is with shipping, minus the time it takes for me to clone a HDD through linux then flash it to the new one.

Rather have a plug and play model for 114.00 on ebay, for extra 2 bucks i save time and headaches lol.

Sky Blue
Jan 13, 2009, 08:52 AM
Is 250GB the largest internal drive that will currently work with the Apple TV?

chadamorrill
Jan 13, 2009, 09:24 AM

250GB is the biggest 2.5" parallelATA drive you can get. Anything bigger would require a PATA to SATA adapter, and I'm not sure you could stuff all that into the AppleTV case.

jdmstar
Jan 13, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yes its possible if you google 500 GB apple tv, you will be directed to a forum, that some guy already done.

1. You will need either a pata to usb adapter to copy/clone drive
2. You will then need a Sata 500GB drive.
3. Using another sata to usb adapter to copy it over again
4. stuff it all in the case, some minor modification is needed to make it fit but possible.

Sky Blue
Jan 14, 2009, 06:42 AM
Yes its possible if you google 500 GB apple tv, you will be directed to a forum, that some guy already done.

1. You will need either a pata to usb adapter to copy/clone drive
2. You will then need a Sata 500GB drive.
3. Using another sata to usb adapter to copy it over again
4. stuff it all in the case, some minor modification is needed to make it fit but possible.

This?
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/530009424931/inc/1

Details are pretty sketchy. The link to the convertor module doesn't work.

jdmstar
Jan 14, 2009, 07:40 AM
This?
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/530009424931/inc/1

Details are pretty sketchy. The link to the convertor module doesn't work.

Which is kind of weird it worked for me yesterday its a European website. It costs 14 british pounds or something.

But if you follow the tutorial on edgadget, and apply it to the 500 gb one im pretty sure youd get the same results.

I was gunna bite the bullet and purchase a 500gb sata drive with the appropiate harnesses and see if it worked id put up a tut.

Starfury257
Jan 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
After a geeky little evening in, I've just upgraded my 40gig Apple TV successfully to 250gig. Thank you so much for posting this guide, it has been utterly priceless! The new WD HDD cost me 67.10, and a little set of Torx screwdrivers 2.30 (I didn't have any kicking about the house at all) - all in a cheaper upgrade than alot of the options out there. And, I seem to have gained way more ability using Terminal than I ever had before. :)

Just can't express how fantabulous this thread has been for my setup. I'm off to finish syncing up my media before I ramble any longer!

Thank you!! :D

BrendonSled
Jan 20, 2009, 03:59 PM
or you can just buy an external and have a 1TB :apple:tv like myself.
And if you install boxee you can set this up in less then 10 mins.

Black adder
Feb 19, 2009, 08:35 AM

yes, I just installed 320GB HDD inside, everything is working, thank you Paul :)

blueroom
Feb 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
As I asked in a previous thread, what is stopping the Apple TV from being able to dd upgrade itself via ssh to an external USB drive?

Cave Man
Feb 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
yes, I just installed 320GB HDD inside, everything is working, thank you Paul :)

What drive is that?

Sky Blue
Feb 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
What drive is that?

Yeah, this.

paduck
Feb 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
What drive is that?

Is it this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136345

WD 2.5" 320GB IDE? $99

Cave Man
Feb 19, 2009, 05:55 PM
Nope, that drive is SATA according to Western Digital's web site. We've had discussions about it before - an error on NewEgg's web site.

Cliff3
Feb 19, 2009, 06:16 PM
Nope, that drive is SATA according to Western Digital's web site. We've had discussions about it before - an error on NewEgg's web site.

Check again. That appears to be a new drive from WD, and it is indeed EIDE.

http://westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=599

paduck
Feb 19, 2009, 06:18 PM

Are you sure, Newegg isn't the only one with that product number and EIDE - WD3200BEVE. There have been some 320GB drives announced, but I've not found one actually for sale before today. And I tried pretty hard before I got my 250GB one (but haven't tried since). BTW, my 250GB still works great - don't plan to change.

I still have plenty of space on it. I was a little disappointed to find out that you cannot play Audible.com content on an AppleTV, but then again, I don't usually use ATV for music/books.

I still think the missing piece of Apple's product line is some sort of centralized home storage system. The Mac Mini is an interesting potential platform for that (or foundation of the platform). Some place where you could have lots of storage and some sort of backup capability.

Apple TV is another interesting potential foundation for a home server platform. Although it probably doesn't have enough umph! I wonder if my router isn't overwhelmed with a wired iMac, wireless notebook and desktop, iPhone, Vonage VOIP, and Apple TV. It all starts to add up!

Sky Blue
Feb 19, 2009, 07:05 PM
nm

Cave Man
Feb 19, 2009, 08:53 PM

Are you sure, Newegg isn't the only one with that product number and EIDE - WD3200BEVE.

Well, there you go! We now have a 320 gb PATA option for the ATV. It's funny, but if you search WD for that part number (WD3200BEVE) nothing comes up. Strange.

dogtanian
Feb 21, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the fantastic thread. This would be great as a sticky if any mods are hanging around...

I've only just bought my Apple TV but am already itching to upgrade. Am just debating whether to do it by myself or to buy a 250gb HDD pre-formatted from eBay. Especially since I have no command line skills since the BBC computer! Any recommendations?

paduck
Feb 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the fantastic thread. This would be great as a sticky if any mods are hanging around...

I've only just bought my Apple TV but am already itching to upgrade. Am just debating whether to do it by myself or to buy a 250gb HDD pre-formatted from eBay. Especially since I have no command line skills since the BBC computer! Any recommendations?

There is a link to the new 320GB in a posting I made above. Here is a link for the 250GB version (WD2500BEVE) from Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

Sky Blue
Feb 24, 2009, 02:53 PM
Anybody tried the 320Gb drive? I'm picking up my ATV this week and wanted to get a bigger drive ordered.

Sky Blue
Feb 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
Bought the 320GB drive today, will try it out when I get it/the ATV.

ipoppy
Feb 26, 2009, 04:20 AM

Has anyone found good store in UK to get that 320gb one yet? I can't find anything for some reason.
:confused:

Sky Blue
Mar 2, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks to paduck for his instructions and all those who came before him. Now I have a 293.79 GB Apple TV!

Danksi
Mar 2, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks to paduck for his instructions and all those who came before him. Now I have a 293.79 GB Apple TV!

Nice; using the WD3200BEVE mentioned above?

I'm looking to do the same, with our 40Gb unit. Would allow us to stop running my Mac Pro as a 'server'.

Sky Blue
Mar 2, 2009, 08:14 PM
Nice; using the WD3200BEVE mentioned above?

Yup, ordered from Newegg.

paduck
Mar 3, 2009, 08:59 PM
I've gone ahead and created a Guide using the original posting as the basis. It now appears in the Ipod & Apple TV category:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV_250GB_Hard_Drive_Upgrade

Any additional suggestions or improvements would be welcome.

Vermifuge
Mar 7, 2009, 10:26 PM

I'm part of the 300 club, got mine set up today.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6210/293j.jpg

ipoppy
Mar 8, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yup, ordered from Newegg.

Can you send exact specification of your HD so I can find exact the same one in UK please? Having a trouble to find good website where I can order 320 gig anyway.
Thanks

Sky Blue
Mar 8, 2009, 12:40 PM
Can you send exact specification of your HD so I can find exact the same one in UK please? Having a trouble to find good website where I can order 320 gig anyway.
Thanks

linked to on the previous page

celica73
Mar 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
Have any of you updated to 2.3.1 yet? My bigger drive ATV doesn't want to update (from 2.3).

See my other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=664302) in this forum for details.

Scott

Sky Blue
Mar 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
My 320GB Drive is running 2.3.1.

theshaggyone
Mar 9, 2009, 01:12 PM

I suppose you could get an IDE to SATA cable/adapter and put a 500g SATA HD in there. At least that would make sense to me since people have been putting SSD in AppleTVs

Sky Blue
Mar 9, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have a 320GB drive currently.

dynaflash
Mar 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
I suppose you could get an IDE to SATA cable/adapter and put a 500g SATA HD in there.
er, well of course, but then why stop at 500 GB ? ;)

paduck
Mar 9, 2009, 02:13 PM
er, well of course, but then why stop at 500 GB ? ;)

I think because 2.5" SATA drives stop at 500GB right now. That is for an entirely internal modification.

There are several posts here about adding large SATA drives as external drives to Apple TV. You could go to 1.5TB easily. Honestly, with a SATA enclosure and RAID0/5 you could go much higher. :)

dynaflash
Mar 9, 2009, 02:30 PM
I think because 2.5" SATA drives stop at 500GB right now. That is for an entirely internal modification.

There are several posts here about adding large SATA drives as external drives to Apple TV. You could go to 1.5TB easily. Honestly, with a SATA enclosure and RAID0/5 you could go much higher. :)

er, I know. I was kidding. ;)

Sky Blue
Mar 9, 2009, 02:32 PM

You might want to look at who made those posts ;)

paduck
Mar 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
er, I know. I was kidding. ;)

Dynaflash, I'm a friggin moron. I almost posted:

"Guys like Dynaflash and Caveman have a thread called My 750GB Apple TV..."

So I guess it could have been worse. My real bad... have a laugh at my expense, you guys were the ones who inspired me to get an Apple TV in the first place! :o

Vermifuge
Mar 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
So I have had my 320 GB drive installed about two weeks now and i am starting to notice a slight click every 5 - 15 sec. This seems to happen when on or in stand by mode. The Apple TV seems to work fine. the clicking is new and is indicative of drive failure in my experience. (not the same as the slight sound of the drive being accessed.

Just wanted to post this. the 320 GB drives may not be up to the task for use in an apple TV

Danksi
Mar 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
So I have had my 320 GB drive installed about two weeks now and i am starting to notice a slight click every 5 - 15 sec. This seems to happen when on or in stand by mode. The Apple TV seems to work fine. the clicking is new and is indicative of drive failure in my experience. (not the same as the slight sound of the drive being accessed.

Just wanted to post this. the 320 GB drives may not be up to the task for use in an apple TV

Do you think it's too hot in the Apple TV for that drive?

Vermifuge
Mar 21, 2009, 07:54 PM
Do you think it's too hot in the Apple TV for that drive?

That's what I was thinking. My home stays cool. no more then 70o most days. but the Apple TV is always quite hot. and with it running basically 24/7 i think the drive cant take the heat.

In any case i'll post again in this thread if anything happens

AdamTro
Mar 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
A few months ago, I got a 40GB Apple TV from eBay for $60 to put the kids' videos on.

Are there different versions of the 40GB ATV? I see some on eBay, some high and some much lower priced. Does it matter which 40GB to get for this upgrade to work?

richardhunt
Mar 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
Are there different versions of the 40GB ATV? I see some on eBay, some high and some much lower priced. Does it matter which 40GB to get for this upgrade to work?

They are all the same. The price differences vary depending on condition.

prettibwoy
Apr 11, 2009, 04:56 PM
hey is there some way to download the software from the internet directly to the new drive so that all i would have to do is transfer the software to the new drive from my computer and physically install the drive rather than having to copy the old one?

denlesko
Apr 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
hey guys, just wanted to share some info to upgrade your ATV drive with 500GB SATA drive. it was very painful finding the right IDE to SATA card that will work, i read a lot of posts and none of them had working link to a seller of such bridge, after ordering 4 different cards, some are so nice and small but only one worked.

i used samsung SATA 5400 RPM 500GB drive or you can buy any other sata drive - they are much cheaper than IDEs nowdays. They supposed to release 1TB 2.5" drives soon so i will try that once on market.

Anyway, you will need 500GB drive and small 44PIN IDE to SATA bridge, i tried few and the only one that worked for me i bought here >>>> http://usb.brando.com.hk/2-5-ide-male-to-sata-adapter_p00856c032d015.html

it took about 10 days to arrive but was worth the wait. i plugged it in - MAKE SURE you connect cable correctly!!!!!!! if you don't you will destroy this card, lucky me i bought two of those and of course i killed one but then flipped the cable and everything worked like charm.

when you insert this card in your 2.5" sata drive, then keep drive label down and your cable should nicely fit in this card. Oh, you will need to make a little hole on the original ATV drive cable since this card has all pins.

anyway, here's what i have >>>

JonHimself
Apr 26, 2009, 01:29 PM
Can you post pics of the internal connections? I'd like to know if this is something within my skill set.

paolo.sereni
Apr 26, 2009, 04:59 PM
hi denlesko!

that's exactly what i wanted to d but wasn't sure about the adapter!

didy you have to set a particular voltage for the new drive?

were you able to close the box? why did u have to make a hole in the atv?

denlesko
Apr 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hey paolo.sereni,

i didn't make a hole in ATV but rather in the IDE cable - card has all 44 pins while cable is missing one hole in the middle so i just took the smallest drill i could find and made a hole in it so card fits in the cable.

Yes drive fit in ATV but you will need to reorganize cable and drive, with this card you won't be able to screw drive back to where it was originally but there are plenty of space in ATV to fit everything. My box closed very nicely, looks like nothing changed.

one advice, i heard that IDE cables are very weak, so be careful with it. i read a lot of posts where people damaged their cables, if you'll be careful you'd be fine.

i didn't do anything else including voltage mods, etc... i just plugged the card in and it worked.

one thing i did after i closed the box - i installed boxee - go to boxee.tv they will have instructions on how to install it and you will love your apple tv more than you think! some sites charge for this free soft $50, not sure why they do it but anyway... it was really easy to install, follow their install directions.

Boxee comes with Hulu and bunch of other stuff i didn't know about - you will get pretty much all Episodes of all TV shows, MTV videos, Pandora radio, Couch surfer to browse internet from your ATV, etc...

one warning - you may never leave your couch ever again - i spent entire weekend watching as much southpark as i could, then MTV videos, then all i could - i turned out to be a tv or should i say ATV junkie... then browsed some internet, then when i got hungry i ordered pizza from my apple tv by going to papajohns.com without leaving the couch, i spent all saturday night a front of my tv and then slept on a coucch - what a nerd! LOL

oh btw, i followed engaget instructions first but after not having much luck i followed these directions - it is much faster if you do it this way >>> http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Prepare_a_Hard_Drive#Preparing_the_partition_table

have fun hacking it! :)

denlesko
Apr 27, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hey guys here are some more pictures in case you'll find them handy, please see the notes on them.

thanks!

kmj1268
May 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
Paduck,
With the combination of your posting here and along with the Apple TV hacks book which I highly recommend, I upgraded my Apple TV about a couple of months ago. First to 160GB and then to 250GB. I also did the Boxee Patchstick thing and have really enjoyed having Boxee on it as well.

Your write up is EXCELLENT!!! I know you can buy an upgraded hard drive on ebay, but who wants to pay for someone else's profit to do it when you can do it yourself, if you invest the time.

I wanted to do this before, but never had a Mac so I had to learn how to build a Mac clone before I could tackle the task. The first time I did it I tried it with Linux and blew away my EFI partition... OUCH!!!! I ended up having to buy another Apple TV and backup the EFI and recovery partitions first thing with the Mac Clone. My system runs on a retail install of Leopard 10.5.6 on a Gigabyte board and it worked quite well with the upgrade process. I know have them on a CD tucked away in a safe place for the Apple TV upgrade should my drive crash.

Anyways, this forum is GREAT.

One quick quesiton, my next project is to go up to a 500GB hard drive, however the PATA drives stop at 320GB at Micro Center now. You can't get one larger than that. Does anyone know where you can get a small compact adapter that will convert a SATA drive to a PATA interface and be compact enough to fit into the Apple TV with minor modifications and work transparently with the Apple TV OS. If so, please post it here!!! I am sure there are others that would like to take advantage of the large 2.5 SATA drives.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

kmj1268
May 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
Guys,
A big 'forgive me'.... I failed to see where denlesko posted an excellent article on upgrading to 500GB. I was looking for the specific adapter and see that along with the excellent pics that denlesko posted. I mainly posted because I ran across some of my documentation and wanted to thank Paduck for kickstarting the thread.

As far as my redundant request for the adapter, please ignore my post. Anyways, I think this is the best post I have run across on this topic. Engadget is good, but I thought it left out some details. When you go to do these hacks your documentation as to be as detailed and clear as possible. That's what is great about those of you that invest in this site.

Thanks again.

yancey47
May 26, 2009, 10:36 PM
For anyone on the fence, I just upgraded to the 300 club myself and it's well worth it. Streaming is great but I didn't want to have my imac on all the time anymore. Plus, streaming HD can sometimes get slightly choppy. Most of my TV on DVD collection are shows that follow a season or series long plot and really need to be watched in order and the automatic least recent unwatched sync is perfect for that. So in the morning, when I plug in my iphone, iTunes turns on, and whatever shows I watched the day before are removed and the next in line are added to the ATV. SWEET.

P.S. I bought the drive off someone on ebay who pre loads it with the ATV software or code or whatever it is so I just had to open up it up and replace the drive. It's perfect for someone like me who doesn't quite understand all the disk util stuff. (Me wishes me was smarte.) It's about 120 after MS Live cashback. A little pricey but not outrageous considering the drive itself is about 90.

P.P.S. This has really turned into another "I heart my apple tv" post instead of a drive upgrade story. sorry.

richardhunt
May 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
Instead of drilling a hole in the ribbon cable, wouldn't it be easier to just clip off the uneeded pin on the adapter?

iheartappletv
May 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have tons and tons of dvds and mp3s that have overun my 320GB HD. So I decided to upgrade up to 1.5tb. Unfortunately I am having problems with preparing the new hard drive.

Trying to format a 1.5tb esata drive and keep coming up with an error at the very end: When I type in "newfs_hfs -J -v Media /dev/disk1s4" I get the following error message "newfs_hfs: /dev/rdisk1s4: partition size not a multiple of 4k."

Does anybody know what to do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

osohardy
Jul 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks denlesko for trying out those different adaptors. I ordered the same one you cite and plugged in a WD 500GB Blue drive, fired it up and all is well! This was a happy second place to my attempt at 1TB eSATA, which was stopped cold by the extension cable. It wouldn't recognize the drive using it so I couldn't close up the case. I had a FrankenATV for about a week with the PATA-SATA bridge and cable sticking straight out of an upside-down ATV.

Although, I did not find it that easy to reclose completely here either (same orientation as your pics). I have mine loosely reassembled (just not screwed full tight), left off the rubber bottom, and put some felt pads on the corners.

tabosco23
Jul 21, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have tons and tons of dvds and mp3s that have overun my 320GB HD. So I decided to upgrade up to 1.5tb. Unfortunately I am having problems with preparing the new hard drive.

Trying to format a 1.5tb esata drive and keep coming up with an error at the very end: When I type in "newfs_hfs -J -v Media /dev/disk1s4" I get the following error message "newfs_hfs: /dev/rdisk1s4: partition size not a multiple of 4k."

Does anybody know what to do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same issue. Any thoughts? I did some searching and it appeared others are having a similar issue when trying to format 750gb+ hard drives. I've got a 1tb that I'm having issues with.

osohardy
Jul 22, 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm having the same issue. Any thoughts? I did some searching and it appeared others are having a similar issue when trying to format 750gb+ hard drives. I've got a 1tb that I'm having issues with

Where did you get your instructions to format? Are you preparing separate images for efi, boot etc. or a single whole disk image?

Personally I tried doing separate images for a 1TB drive following awkward tv's instructions, and although the end result looking at the partition table looked perfect, and everything seemed to be good, it would not factory restore..also resizing the media partition is another factor I couldn't get right.

I went back and made a single disk image of the whole shebang, and resized the media partition with iPartition after factory restore. It was painless.

tabosco23
Jul 22, 2009, 04:15 PM
I actually tried both ways -- a single disk image and separates, both ending with the same problem which is not being able to Factory Restore. I used the instructions on P1 of this thread and just can't seem to get things working correctly.

I think I'm going to try the single image method again to see what happens. Who knows, couldn't hurt trying.

Thanks!

dynaflash
Jul 23, 2009, 11:16 AM
One note: what kind of drive are you guys using ? . I have two 1 TB drives, both wd. One is a Studio Edition (silver) which will not factory restore though works just fine including upating etc. The other is a Home Edition (black) which restores and everything just fine.

I think there is something about the studio edition's firmware which can cause issues. For instance they are known to freeze for some reason when used on mac and the drive goes to sleep. There is an unresolved issue ticket at wd that covers this. There is a also a firmware update for the studio edition though I have not tried it since besides not restoring... it works just fine. Again the Home edition will restore and everything. Exact same formatting for both drives.

osohardy
Jul 23, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Dyna,

I did use a 1TB WD Studio (silver). When i set it up with separate partitions I did this to avoid downtime--I ssh'ed to the ATV to pull boot, efi and prepare the disk ahead of time. It went smooth for the most part, and the drive would recognize, but would not factory restore. That is when I moved to a full disk image and iPartition. That worked only to be stopped by the cable. So now I have a 500GB WD Blue internal instead, but yeah I was able to get it to work eventually with the Studio as far as the formatting itself....and it would restore and update and function for the week I had it set up...didn't know about the firmware.

tabosco23
Jul 23, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm using a WD Caviar Green 1tb Sata. I'm going to work with it a little bit this weekend to see if I can work through some other suggestions I've received. I'm not sure if it matters, but I did pull it from a WD Elements enclosure.

Danksi
Aug 14, 2009, 10:08 AM
I was revisiting an upgrade to the 320Gb drive, when I stumbled upon another post regards ATVCLONER (http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/atvcloner-user-guide/).

I tried it last night with a spare 55Gb laptop drive I already have and it seems to have worked a treat. Took less than 30mins, to pull the old drive, image across and the plunk the larger drive in.

I had to set the wifi up again and re-sync the media, but that's OK.

Will likely order the WD3200BEVE drive and go through the ATVCLONER process again. (Prices have come down since I originally looked at doing this)

Very easy.

Seanaa
Aug 19, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hi all (first post),

Wanted to share my experience, just upgraded to WD 320Gb drive. I initially ran the 40Gb that came with the ATV, then upgraded to the Samsung 160Gb, now to the WD 320Gb. First two were hot as hell, could hardly keep my hand on top of the ATV. The WD is much, much cooler. Besides more space, now I don't have a permanent heating source!

Cheers
Sean

tabosco23
Aug 19, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hi all (first post),

Wanted to share my experience, just upgraded to WD 320Gb drive. I initially ran the 40Gb that came with the ATV, then upgraded to the Samsung 160Gb, now to the WD 320Gb. First two were hot as hell, could hardly keep my hand on top of the ATV. The WD is much, much cooler. Besides more space, now I don't have a permanent heating source!

Cheers
Sean
Are you running an IDE drive or SATA? Just curious, thanks!

Seanaa
Aug 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
IDE. Was hard to find as most stores are now only stocking SATA. I left the ATV on over night, it did get warmer, although not as warm as before.

stevietech
Aug 19, 2009, 11:45 PM
First off, thanks for the excellent writeup paduck!

Wanted to let you know that I stopped before the final step you took from Waroth.K's guide and I was unable to restore the AppleTV. So I completed the final step and everything worked great!

I have also done some personal research on the best way to get a 2.5" SATA drive to fit inside the ATV, and the best IDE-to-SATA adapter I have found is here (http://usb.brando.com/2-5-ide-male-to-sata-adapter_p00856c042d015.html). Using it with a 22-pin SATA male-to-female cable (an 8-inch cable can be found here (http://www.cpustuff.com/22-pin-male-to-22-pin-female-power-and-data-sata-adapter-custom-cable.-p-342.html)), and the original IDE ribbon cable makes a VERY snug fit inside the ATV, but it is working great with no problems. I now have a 461.46GB (500GB WD Scorpio Blue) ATV, and once the price drops on the new 1TB WD Scorpio Blue drives, I'll be upgrading.

bucksaddle
Aug 20, 2009, 03:47 AM
First off, thanks for the excellent writeup paduck!

Wanted to let you know that I stopped before the final step you took from Waroth.K's guide and I was unable to restore the AppleTV. So I completed the final step and everything worked great!

I have also done some personal research on the best way to get a 2.5" SATA drive to fit inside the ATV, and the best IDE-to-SATA adapter I have found is here (http://usb.brando.com/2-5-ide-male-to-sata-adapter_p00856c042d015.html). Using it with a 22-pin SATA male-to-female cable (an 8-inch cable can be found here (http://www.cpustuff.com/22-pin-male-to-22-pin-female-power-and-data-sata-adapter-custom-cable.-p-342.html)), and the original IDE ribbon cable makes a VERY snug fit inside the ATV, but it is working great with no problems. I now have a 461.46GB (500GB WD Scorpio Blue) ATV, and once the price drops on the new 1TB WD Scorpio Blue drives, I'll be upgrading.

Hi, i'm quite interested to see you use a 22pin male-to-female cable in your set-up - is the only reason just so you can attach the drive back to the aTV case? I use the same IDE-to-SATA adapter with a 500GB Scorpio Blue and this works fine, however i obviously can't re-attach the drive to the case.
Cheers

Danksi
Aug 20, 2009, 09:57 AM
320Gb drive went in last night and appears to be working well. I haven't seen any noticable difference in heat, but it's running silent. The original 40Gb drive was making all sorts of clicking noises toward the end there.

Hopefully this'll give my Mac Pro a break during the day and simplify the kids movie watching. Although it's still Summer and they should be outside. :)

dynaflash
Aug 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
320Gb drive went in last night and appears to be working well.
Can I ask if you used AtvCloner to prep the new drive ? If so how did it work out for you ?

Danksi
Aug 20, 2009, 11:34 AM
Can I ask if you used AtvCloner to prep the new drive ? If so how did it work out for you ?

Yes I did. Very straightforward process.

One thing I did notice was that when I used a spare (55Gb) laptop drive last week to try it all out, that spare drive was already initialized and could be selected using the 'choose file' option.

The brand-new drive wasn't initialized, so I had to carefully pick it out from the terminal window e.g. \dev\disk\5

OSX did ask if I wanted to initialize it when it first powered up, but I ignored it. I guess if I had initialized it, it would then be available in ATVCloner, under the 'choose file' option. Not a big deal.

dynaflash
Aug 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
Cool. Yep, if the disk is not initialized first it is not mounted, so you have to grab the /dev/disk1 or whatever but instead of terminal, look in the activity window in AtvCloner ... at launch it gives you all of the diskutil list info for the drives connected to you're computer just like if you do it manually in the terminal.

Basically you shouldn't have to launch terminal at all when using AtvCloner.

Enjoy your new drive. :)

Danksi
Aug 20, 2009, 12:33 PM
Cool. Yep, if the disk is not initialized first it is not mounted, so you have to grab the /dev/disk1 or whatever but instead of terminal, look in the activity window in AtvCloner ... at launch it gives you all of the diskutil list info for the drives connected to you're computer just like if you do it manually in the terminal.

Basically you shouldn't have to launch terminal at all when using AtvCloner.

Enjoy your new drive. :)

To clarify, I did use the activity window in AtvCloner. Very handy. I didn't need Terminal at all.:)

The only other impact this upgrade has had, is that I now have the ATV wired to the router (had a long Ethernet cable handy). Keeping 320Gb sync'd using a Wireless 'G' connection was going to be tough.

dynaflash
Aug 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
To clarify, I did use the activity window in AtvCloner. Very handy. I didn't need Terminal at all.:)

Good, glad to hear it.

richorlin
Aug 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
Really? I've read that iTunes will still only sync to the Media partition, and that the external drive is only used by Boxee/XBMC etc ...

Anyway, this great tutorial is simple enough (you basically just copy & paste the terminal commands!), fast enough (twenty minutes, tops), and cheap enough (I picked up my 250GB WD Scorpio WD2500BEVE for less than $90) that it makes sense to just do it. :)

If you use ATVFlash to hack your Apple TV, you can install Nito which allows you to add an external USB drive to the ATV. You can then use a few simple commands in terminal to copy all your media to the external drive and get the ATV to think that the external drive is the media partition. It's all in the Wiki at http://www.atvflash.com

I added an external 750gb USB drive and now when I check "About" under "settings" it shows that I have almost 700gb of storage. This is alot easier than opening up the ATV to clone your drive, thus voiding your warranty.

dynaflash
Aug 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
Like all things the usb hack has it's caveats as well ... like the next atv software upgrade wiping out you're software hack. Everything is a compromise.

tabosco23
Aug 27, 2009, 07:00 PM
Dynaflash (and everyone else who worked on this) rocks! I used the newly updated AtvCloner on my WD 1TB Green Caviar sata and everything is working well. Hopefully I won't fill up this drive anytime soon. Thanks again!

dynaflash
Aug 27, 2009, 08:15 PM
Glad it finally worked. Seems there is an issue formatting > 500 GB hd's for the atv. Luckily it seems there is a very smooth workaround. Have fun syncing. :)

antz88c
Aug 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
@dynaflash

any news for an updated version to work under Snow Leopard?

Also, can I restore the image file to an external drive and just plug it to ATV USB port and iTunes will detect it or I really need to physically change the hard drive?

It's difficult to look for a PATA drive here.

dynaflash
Aug 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
No clue, haven't installed snow leopard yet. If the underlying system utilities are in the same place and work the same then there is no reason it wouldn't work just fine. I plan to upgrade this weekend and will report back.
Also, can I restore the image file to an external drive and just plug it to ATV USB port and iTunes will detect it or I really need to physically change the hard drive?
Afaik this does not help with the usb hack. That is done via patchstick and modifying the atv software, which is not my bag (though there is plenty of posts available to help you out).

This works for upgrading the internal drive or performing the eSata upgrade.

dynaflash
Aug 28, 2009, 04:54 PM

It appears atv cloner is borked under Snow Leopard. Working on it now.

Edit: fixed and testing a new version what should work fine on both snow leopard and leopard.

antz88c
Aug 28, 2009, 06:03 PM

Edit: fixed and testing a new version what should work fine on both snow leopard and leopard.

Thanks for the replies. My ATV is hacked for now so i can use the USB, I am still looking around for a 250 or 320 GB PATA since I also want a real hardware upgrade.

dynaflash
Aug 29, 2009, 02:20 AM

New AtvCloner release, compatible with Snow Leopard. http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

PhyrePhox
Aug 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
New AtvCloner release, compatible with Snow Leopard. http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

Thank you for the update, but now your website is borked!

PhyrePhox
Aug 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you for the update, but now your website is borked!

...and now the website is working again, but the downloaded version of AtvCloner (no version number in Get Info, but file timestamp is today {30 August 2009} at 12:21 AM) opens and closes again immediately with error in the problem report:

Date/Time: 2009-08-30 00:21:27.269 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 4D78ACD9-7E50-4C9A-8660-42C02DF1E002

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
unknown required load command 0x80000022

PhyrePhox
Aug 30, 2009, 12:32 AM
For my last spam to this topic for tonight:
I wasn't able to use AtvCloner, but paduck's instructions worked a treat (even though I tried Engadget's version first, and was not successful). A few minutes ago, i finished doing a factory restore on my version 1 Apple TV and it just applied the 2.4 update and rebooted using an old 120GB drive i had laying around. Now I have 107GB free for my son's Yo Gabba Gabba episodes.

Looking inside the Apple TV and having read some discussion here about adding a bigger SATA drive via an adapter, I thought about and article that I saw years ago, when the Mac mini first came out, about a guy in Australia that wanted to attach full-sized drives to his mini. I bookmakred his site but it's down at this time: AppleTalk - Mac mini in a PC Case (http://mactalk.com.au/articles/miniserver/).
He made connector adapters, to allow a standard IDE cable to plug into the 2.5 drive headers on the mini's motherboard. I ordered two of these adapters from him, but they are in storage in another state right now. The Apple TV motherboard header appears to be the same. Theoretically, we could use this adapter to attach an IDE cable, fish it outside the Apple TV's case, and then attach a 3.5" IDE drive of whatever capacity (it would need its own power supply of course). This wouldn't be as elegant as squeezing a 2.5 SATA drive inside the Apple TV, but 500GB 3.5 drives are cheaper than 2.5 versions...

Cave Man
Aug 30, 2009, 01:42 AM
Looking inside the Apple TV and having read some discussion here about adding a bigger SATA drive via an adapter, I thought about and article that I saw years ago, when the Mac mini first came out, about a guy in Australia that wanted to attach full-sized drives to his mini. He made connector adapters, to allow a standard IDE cable to plug into the 2.5 drive headers on the mini's motherboard. Theoretically, we could use this adapter to attach an IDE cable, fish it outside the Apple TV's case, and then attach a 3.5" IDE drive of whatever capacity (it would need its own power supply of course).

Gosh, why hasn't anyone thought of this before? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438073) ;)

dynaflash
Aug 30, 2009, 05:00 PM
...and now the website is working again, but the downloaded version of AtvCloner (no version number in Get Info, but file timestamp is today {30 August 2009} at 12:21 AM) opens and closes again immediately with error in the problem report:

Date/Time: 2009-08-30 00:21:27.269 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 4D78ACD9-7E50-4C9A-8660-42C02DF1E002

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
unknown required load command 0x80000022

hrm, so it crashed on 10.5.7 ? Just tested the download on SL and it works fine. Since I do not have a Leopard maching avail anymore I had another dev test it on 10.5.8 and it worked fine. Anyone else verify that the new AtvCloner crashes at launch on Leopard (new version is 0.1.4 btw) ?

Update: Not sure how it happened but somewhow my leopard test results were bogus. Sincere apologies on that, am uploading the last version that worked on leopard now so there will be two downloads, one for Leopard and one for Snow Leopard.

dynaflash
Aug 30, 2009, 05:43 PM
Okay, somehow I got messed up when I had someone verify that AtvCloner 0.1.4 worked on both Snow Leopard and Leopard.

At any rate, now the Leopard version (0.1.4b) and the Snow Leopard version (0.1.4) are posted for download. Did three tests to verify the Leopard version works. Sorry for any inconvenience.

http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

PhyrePhox
Aug 30, 2009, 07:43 PM
Okay, somehow I got messed up when I had someone verify that AtvCloner 0.1.4 worked on both Snow Leopard and Leopard.

At any rate, now the Leopard version (0.1.4b) and the Snow Leopard version (0.1.4) are posted for download. Did three tests to verify the Leopard version works. Sorry for any inconvenience.

http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

I can verify that the Leopard version launches properly on 10.5.7 now. Thank you. When I decide to upgrade the HDD again, I will try it.

On another note, does anyone have experience running the aTV without the wireless daughter card installed? I noticed it looks like the standard Apple riser card (mini-PCIe). Thing is, I've got a netbook that I've hackintoshed and the built-in wireless card is wonky under Mac OS. Since I've got the aTV hooked up via ethernet and don't need the wireless, would it still work if I pulled the wireless riser and put it in my netbook?

Bufordt
Aug 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
First off I'd like to thank dynaflash and his effort and fine software for cloning the apple tv. http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/ It wonderful software program. It just didn't work for me. Been working on this for 3 days and could never get it to work for me correctly. Don't know what I did wrong. I do have to say thanks as it gave me the motivation to get my Apple TV hard drive backed up. I really didn't care how big the HDD was as I stream everything anyway. I tried atvcloner with a 160 gig drive on both my imac and macbook pro. Didn't work for me. I tried doing a 320 gig drive on both the imac and macbook pro didn't work for me. This am I used the below commands and did a disk to disk copy.

dd if=/dev/disk8 of=/Users/"myusername"/AppleTVDrive-Compressed.img bs=1024k

Copied all the data to my hdd on my imac. Used the below command and copied all the data to the 160 gig.

dd if=/Users/"myusername"/AppleTVDrive-Compressed.img of=/dev/disk8 bs=1024k

Then because I was so not going to get ticked off because it didn't work or was going to have some other problem I bought ipartition this am and moved the media disk to the correct size. Installed the 160 into my appletv and tested it out. Worked just like it was supposed to work.

Then because I had the 320 gig I did the same with it. It's now in my appletv and working great. Didn't have to do a restore and all my data is still there. Best 44.00 investment I ever paid for.

Again. Thanks dynaflash for all your hard work. Again it did motivate me to get this done. I just wanted a backup of my 40 gig so if there was ever a problem I didn't have to junk my apple tv.

Just wanted to let everyone know what worked for me and to say thanks.

dynaflash
Aug 31, 2009, 12:48 PM
can I ask which method you used in atvcloner ? I would love to see the last lines in the activity window.

Bufordt
Aug 31, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'll do the best I can later on today or tomorrow am to do it once more and copy the data and post. It's a long copy lots of data. e-mail me and I'll e-mail it all back to you.

tabosco23
Sep 2, 2009, 06:31 PM
Gosh, why hasn't anyone thought of this before? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438073) ;)

Do you have a 3.5 sata hooked up? I've got everything hooked up and running just fine with the 3.5 sata, but I'd like to clean it up a little bit so I'm curious what connections everyone is using. Ideally I'd like to be able to close up the AppleTV, with nothing but a ribbon running between the AppleTV and the sata drive. Thoughts/suggestions?

RonG17
Sep 4, 2009, 02:15 PM
Excellent work with ATVCloner Dynaflash. I just updated both of my Apple TVs (40GB and 160GB) to 320GB drives. Super easy process and worked like a charm with no terminal commands.

Thank you.

cantinero1
Oct 17, 2009, 02:59 PM
So I have a unusual problem to say the least. I had a friend of mine take my apple tv to install the ATV flash programe. He had the hard drive out of the box in his fancy little case, and it was subsequently stolen along with practically every other piece of gear he had in his apartment, with the exception of my ATV. So i purchased a new hard drive, but I need a disk image of the origional drive in order to be able to proceed, and don't know anyone with an ATV. Any suggestions ?

paduck
Oct 20, 2009, 09:36 PM
So I have a unusual problem to say the least. I had a friend of mine take my apple tv to install the ATV flash programe. He had the hard drive out of the box in his fancy little case, and it was subsequently stolen along with practically every other piece of gear he had in his apartment, with the exception of my ATV. So i purchased a new hard drive, but I need a disk image of the origional drive in order to be able to proceed, and don't know anyone with an ATV. Any suggestions ?

eBay for a replacement drive? You can get one pretty cheap with the original software...there is a 40GB version for $25 and various largers for the $100 range. Pretty close to the actual price of the drive, plus saves you a lot of hassle.

dynaflash
Oct 21, 2009, 10:51 AM
Excellent work with ATVCloner Dynaflash. I just updated both of my Apple TVs (40GB and 160GB) to 320GB drives. Super easy process and worked like a charm with no terminal commands.

Thank you.

Super, glad it worked. I presume you did not need to use the "Large Drive Formatting" option ? That seems to only be needed with some drives > 500 gb.

RonG17
Oct 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
Super, glad it worked. I presume you did not need to use the "Large Drive Formatting" option ? That seems to only be needed with some drives > 500 gb.

No need for the Large File Formatting since I swapped both with 320GB drives. Worked like a charm.

dynaflash
Oct 22, 2009, 11:46 AM
No need for the Large File Formatting since I swapped both with 320GB drives. Worked like a charm.
Glad it worked out. :)

pgavinski
Oct 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
Help! :apple:TV

I upgraded primarily using the Engadget method. My Apple TV works with 1.0. Obviously I want to upgrade to the latest software update. When i download the update and then update, it restarts as it should and gets to the progress bar but then states something about not being able to update and takes me to a screen to either factory restore, reset, or run diagnostics. I've tried doing the factory restore several times and then doing the update, i've tried reset and then doing the update, and the diagnostic says the Apple TV is fine.

What do I need to do to get this software update to apply?

Again, the apple tv works with 1.0 but won't allow me to update.

Cave Man
Oct 24, 2009, 09:57 AM

My experience it that the method you use somehow corrupts the update process. What you should do is retrieve the three disk images off of your original ATV an onto your Mac's hard drive ATV Cloner. Then use ATV Cloner to put them onto your new drive. After that your update process should work.

dynaflash
Oct 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
My experience it that the method you use somehow corrupts the update process. What you should do is retrieve the three disk images off of your original ATV an onto your Mac's hard drive ATV Cloner. Then use ATV Cloner to put them onto your new drive. After that your update process should work.
Depending on the hard drive, you maybe be getting this error:

http://dynaflashtech.net/2009/08/18/atv-drive-problem-children/

If so (after using atvCloner's normal cloning method ) use "Large Drive Formatting" to get a proper format.

Try it first without though.

Edit: note, I will try to elaborate on when to use the "Large Drive Formatting" in atv cloner, however basically it would be sure if you see anything described in the link above in you're AtvCloner activity log when using the normal drive prep method.

tabosco23
Nov 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well after trying to use a laptop IDE extension cable to connect my external 1GB HD, I think I may have fried my ATV. Has anyone had experience with their ATV failing to turn on? The amber light comes on but nothing after that. Thoughts anyone?

On a side note, everything was working great before I decided to screw with the extension cable.

Cave Man
Nov 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Have you put your ATV back in its original configuration? There shouldn't be a problem unless you inadvertently put too much voltage through a line.

tabosco23
Nov 22, 2009, 11:40 AM
By original configuration, do you mean the original HD back inside or the 'new original' with the external HD hooked back up as it was when working?

I have the external HD hooked up just as when it was working, but I get no response from the ATV besides the amber light. No fan spinning like it used to when all hooked up. I'm stumped.

Cave Man
Nov 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
By original configuration, do you mean the original HD back inside or the 'new original' with the external HD hooked back up as it was when working?

Yes, that's the best way to tell if the ATV is functional. You need to isolate the problem and this should be the first step.

tabosco23
Nov 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
I hooked up an internal IDE drive directly back to the ATV housing and I've still got nothing. The drive spins up when plugged in but I get no response beyond that. Thoughts/suggestions? I think I may have somehow nuked it but is this possible by just connecting IDE cables?

Cave Man
Nov 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
Yes, it's possible but unlikely. Can you connect the drive to a Mac and let Disk Utility see it? How many partitions are there?

tabosco23
Nov 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
Everything appears fine on the drive. I used Dynaflash's cloner to format the drive which has worked fine for me in the past.

Fortunately, I just found out my ATV is still under warranty, assuming I can get it put back together in a 'factory like' state. We'll see how it goes but if you have any flashes of brilliance in the meantime please let me know.

wedge07
Jan 11, 2010, 05:59 AM
Help! :apple:TV

I upgraded primarily using the Engadget method. My Apple TV works with 1.0. Obviously I want to upgrade to the latest software update. When i download the update and then update, it restarts as it should and gets to the progress bar but then states something about not being able to update and takes me to a screen to either factory restore, reset, or run diagnostics. I've tried doing the factory restore several times and then doing the update, i've tried reset and then doing the update, and the diagnostic says the Apple TV is fine.

Again, the apple tv works with 1.0 but won't allow me to update.

Sorry for the long quote, but I wanted to keep any future readers from having to figure out where my post was coming from:

I had this exact problem. I spent a good 4 hours messing with terminal trying to figure out what the problem was. In the end, the fix had to do with where the EFI, OSBoot and Media partitions on the drive lived. diskxsy where x is the disk number in terminal. I used the dd command to clone the original drive and saw that my upgraded HDD had a different order to it. While using Paduck's guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV_250GB_Hard_Drive_Upgrade) i noticed he said he didn't see why he would need to, but removed and recreated the Media partition. It wasn't until I did this step that the upgraded drive worked for me. Grrrr. After comparing the partition order of the cloned drive to the upgraded drive I saw the partitions were in the same order. Grrr.

I also found out how much of a waste using the dd in terminal was. I'm going to keep the efi.dmg and recovery.dmg on hand for the next upgrade: :)

Cave Man
Jan 11, 2010, 08:40 AM
Just use ATV Cloner. It is so easy.

wedge07
Jan 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
True! But I like to keep my options open. Plus, I learn more by doing it the hard way. :)

12eward
Jan 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
I found this thing on the internet:
http://www.provantage.com/western-digital-wd10tpvt~7WNDO066.htm
Do apple tv's have room for 12.5 millimeter drives?
This would be a great all-in-one solution.
Thanks!

Cave Man
Jan 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
That's a SATA drive and would require a PATA to SATA bridge.

astbaker
Feb 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
I upgraded the hard drive on my Apple TV to 250GB successfully. Although, prior to doing it I did a factory recovery on the old 40GB. Now when I try to update the software on the new drive, I get the "update failed" warning on my ATV. Also, when I sinked some movies to it that I bought from itunes, I get the "Apple TV is not authorized to...."

Can anyone help?

johnny1970
Feb 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
I upgraded the hard drive on my Apple TV to 250GB successfully. Although, prior to doing it I did a factory recovery on the old 40GB. Now when I try to update the software on the new drive, I get the "update failed" warning on my ATV. Also, when I sinked some movies to it that I bought from itunes, I get the "Apple TV is not authorized to...."

Can anyone help?

I have the same problem in that I upgraded the drive on my ATV to 250GB and it is now saying 'update failed'. However, when you check the version my ATV says it has updated to 3.0.2 but still thinks the update has failed. Odd.

nathanjbrown
Feb 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have the same problem in that I upgraded the drive on my ATV to 250GB and it is now saying 'update failed'. However, when you check the version my ATV says it has updated to 3.0.2 but still thinks the update has failed. Odd.

Has there been any progress made on this particular snag? I know CaveMan was encountering the same bug.

A big thank you to everyone for the assistance provided via this thread.

-Nathan

rikscha
Mar 8, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hi there,

does anyone of you have a detailed instruction of how to upgrade the Apple TV with a WD 1TB hard drive?
Theres one guy on ebay UK who would do the upgrade for 50 and I was wondering how to fit a 12.5mm hard drive into the ATV. Would be nice if someone could post some links to some online shops were all the necessary parts for the upgrade could be bought as well. Im not sure which IDE-SATA adapter to buy and where and also which modifications to the housing have to be made to fit a 1TB into the ATV.

Thanks

mcforman
Apr 24, 2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.atvflash.com/product_info.php?products_id=27

$50 software app. Doesn't void your warrantee

Cave Man
Apr 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
$50 software app. Doesn't void your warrantee

We all know about this software. It has its limitations, such as requiring a slower USB drive and breaking the software with each ATV OS update. And $50 when you can do it for free? No thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Perhaps you should learn about the search tool before you post since yours doesn't belong in this thread.

dphal
Aug 8, 2010, 09:41 PM
Bar sobbing uncontrollably I have no way forward with my problem.

A friends ATV HD died so I took my ATV apart and used it to take the images using ATVCloner. I restored those images onto my friends new drive.

I put my untouched ATV back together and now all I get is a flashing amber light followed by a question mark with the amber/white light flashing. I have written nothing back to the drive - I've only used it to obtain an image for my friends drive. What could have happened to cause this? Any suggestions as to how to fix it please?

Lastly do all of the instructions about the ATV work with the version 3 firmware?
Thanks for any help.:confused:

Cave Man
Aug 8, 2010, 11:13 PM
Firstly, it's not firmware, just software. There's nothing different about any of the ATVs other than the OS version.

Can you mount the drive to your Mac using an enclosure? If so, run Disk Utility on it to make sure it's in good order. This tells you the drive is OK. If it is, then there might be a problem with your ATV. It's tough to screw one up, but I suppose it's possible. You still have the images that you made with ATV Cloner? If so, you can try to reimage the drive as a last resort.

dphal
Aug 9, 2010, 06:23 AM
Firstly, it's not firmware, just software. There's nothing different about any of the ATVs other than the OS version.

Can you mount the drive to your Mac using an enclosure? If so, run Disk Utility on it to make sure it's in good order. This tells you the drive is OK. If it is, then there might be a problem with your ATV. It's tough to screw one up, but I suppose it's possible. You still have the images that you made with ATV Cloner? If so, you can try to reimage the drive as a last resort.

Thanks for the prompt response.

The drive mounts fine under OS X 10.6 and Disk Utility finds nothing wrong with it. Also I've tried the images from that drive on two other drives using ATV Cloner and the result is the same: alternate amber/white flashing light. And the drives have been tried it two separate Apple TVs.

This was a perfectly working ATV and the only thing I did was pull it out to make a clone of it.

There isn't a hardware trick with the cases is there, that is it won't boot if the enclosure isn't closed correctly?

Cave Man
Aug 9, 2010, 07:35 AM
I assume you only removed the drive and that you did not remove the cable from the ATV's logic board? The cable has to go on in the right direction (four possible combinations). If the cable is not properly attached to the logic board AND the hard drive, then it will not see any drive.

lancia832
Aug 21, 2010, 12:41 AM
hello! ,it works perfect ,could not be easier with dynaflash program ,many !many ! thanks for such a well put atv cloner program .
Hey ! Dynaflash any way to donate a small gift to you through pay pal ,for such a good program ,such a program needs to be rewarded for the super easy way to use it .Thank you !

heliocentric
Aug 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
is this what i need to use a new sata laptopn drive in the atv? thanks

moidah
Jan 14, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Firstly, thanks to everybody who's posted on the forum, it's been very helpful in getting my drive prepped to put in the ATV. In the end it was the atvCloner that did the trick, so special thanks to dynaflash for a great little utility. :D

However, my problem now lies it hooking the SATA drive up to the IDE bus on the ATV. I bought an adaptor from Amazon, but only after the drive failed to mount on my desktop using an IDE drive enclosure did I discover in the small print that it only support drives up to 500G. :mad:

So has anyone got any recommendations for a SATA-IDE bridge that will work on a 1TB drive and be small enough to squeeze into the ATV and, crucially, can be bought in the UK or shipped there in less than a fortnight and for less than a small fortune?!

Many thanks in advance.

potatis
Jan 2, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Firstly, thanks to everybody who's posted on the forum, it's been very helpful in getting my drive prepped to put in the ATV. In the end it was the atvCloner that did the trick, so special thanks to dynaflash for a great little utility. :D

However, my problem now lies it hooking the SATA drive up to the IDE bus on the ATV. I bought an adaptor from Amazon, but only after the drive failed to mount on my desktop using an IDE drive enclosure did I discover in the small print that it only support drives up to 500G. :mad:

So has anyone got any recommendations for a SATA-IDE bridge that will work on a 1TB drive and be small enough to squeeze into the ATV and, crucially, can be bought in the UK or shipped there in less than a fortnight and for less than a small fortune?!

Many thanks in advance.

Did you find anyone that works on 1TB drives? What model is the one that doesn't? Perhaps same as mine, Advantech PCM-233B? (http://www.advantech.eu/products/PCM-233B/mod_B4573DDA-1440-4D5D-8A16-75C0B67F86E3.aspx)?

moidah
Jan 3, 2013, 05:20 AM
No, I eventually gave it up as a bad job. The adapter you link to is a bit too big to fit in the case, I think, even if it does support drives >500GB.

potatis
Jan 3, 2013, 07:01 AM
Anyway, you will need 500GB drive and small 44PIN IDE to SATA bridge, i tried few and the only one that worked for me i bought here >>>> http://usb.brando.com.hk/2-5-ide-male-to-sata-adapter_p00856c032d015.html

Di you know if the adapter you purchased from Brando also works with 1 TB drives?

moidah
Jan 3, 2013, 07:20 AM
That wasn't me, it was denlesko.

But I might be tempted to give it another try at some point!