PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good 25-32 Key MIDI Keyboard?

dazloe
Oct 26, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hey there ladies and gents, I have an edirol PCR-500, but I have realised this is to big for my needs so I'm going to sell it. I'm looking for a smaller midi keyboard, I was thinking of the PCR 300 which is 32 key, but 25 would be ideal. Thanks in advance for your input!

NewSc2
Oct 26, 2008, 04:39 AM
I have a Novation ReMOTE LE 25. Got it off eBay about a year ago, it's since been discontinued but if you dig around you might find one. I like it a lot -- great keys (better action than my Edirol PCR-50), fairly small, bus-powered, and it comes with Novation BassStation.

One thing, though... I was in your boat and I thought my Edirol was too big and downsized to the Novation, but later kind of regretted it. It's hard to play some chord progressions -- I'm always toggling the octave keys. It's also nice to play a left-hand bassline along with a chord to get a good feel, even if you don't end up using the bass note. The Edirol is what I turn to now.

MezicanGangxtah
Oct 26, 2008, 11:26 AM
The Axiom 25 is a nice little controller. You should check it out.

dazloe
Oct 27, 2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the input :) I checked out the axiom 25 and it looks good! That is definitely a possibility. Have you guys checked out : http://www.behringer.com/uma25s/

Has any one had any experience with this controller? It's funky red! I know it's a behringer...but it's funky red! Just what I need to spice up the studio (other than a new expresso machine ;) Thanks for your help.

dazloe
Oct 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
Okay guys so I've been doing some research. I asked around and not many people know about that funky red one so I think I'm going to leave it. Although in my research i did find the NOVATION REMOTE SL 25 and the X-STATION 25

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_control/remote_sl/

Has any one had any experience with these controllers? The auto map feature is highly desirable as I use a lot of third party plugins. Is the x station worth the extra money?. If anyone has some experience with these controllers can you tell me if they work well with logic 8? Thanks for your time. :)

wayfarer7
Oct 28, 2008, 02:00 PM
I just bought an Em-u xboard 25. The key action is great (for what I payed)! No sliders or record/stop/play functions - but it has aftertouch, velocity sensitivity, and knobs. I got mine for $135 + tax.

I had the M-audio Axiom and hated it. I thought the action felt great in the store. A few months later I decided I hated it terribly, and sold it. I had the 49 key version and it was just too chunky and annoying to play.

NewSc2
Oct 29, 2008, 04:02 AM
Okay guys so I've been doing some research. I asked around and not many people know about that funky red one so I think I'm going to leave it. Although in my research i did find the NOVATION REMOTE SL 25 and the X-STATION 25

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_control/remote_sl/

Has any one had any experience with these controllers? The auto map feature is highly desirable as I use a lot of third party plugins. Is the x station worth the extra money?. If anyone has some experience with these controllers can you tell me if they work well with logic 8? Thanks for your time. :)

I have a Novation Remote Zero SL (without the keyboard). Honestly, I don't use it much. Auto-mapping looks cool but I'm pretty used to toggling everything by mouse. I used to own the Novation X-Station. It was pretty nice but the sounds weren't anything to write home with -- it sounded like a decent softsynth, nothing like a Virus or anything. I only had it for a few days, but you might have more luck.

If anything, the Novation line has good build and good keyboard action. I would stay away from the M-Audio and Behringer models -- they feel really cheap.

dazloe
Oct 29, 2008, 06:55 AM
I have a Novation Remote Zero SL (without the keyboard). Honestly, I don't use it much. Auto-mapping looks cool but I'm pretty used to toggling everything by mouse. I used to own the Novation X-Station. It was pretty nice but the sounds weren't anything to write home with -- it sounded like a decent softsynth, nothing like a Virus or anything. I only had it for a few days, but you might have more luck.

If anything, the Novation line has good build and good keyboard action. I would stay away from the M-Audio and Behringer models -- they feel really cheap.

Wicked, I was hoping the Novation line would be solid, they look it ;) Thanks for that, I think I'll sell my Pcr 500 and get as much money as I can towards the remote sl, thanks again :)