Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Will a new Alu Macbook 2.4 GHz run Spore, and Sim City 4 (under bootcamp), and possibly Sins of a Solar Empire? I really need a new computer ASAP, so I need an answer.

I can't decide between the MB or the MBP. I really can't.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Have you gone to see them in the store in person? There is a big difference in the screen size. I like the Macbook portability, but if I'm doing anything with photos or design work or basically anything beyond reading and writing I like the extra space. We have both in the house.

The Macbook is great to haul around, the MBP is great for screen size. I don't know about the games you want to play, I don't play many games.

Also, the MBP has firewire. That's important to me because I have a miniDV camera.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Yeah I know all of that. My current laptop (peice of crap) has firewire and I've never used it. The screen size I thought was going to be an issue for me, but after seeing both laptops at Future Shop, it doesn't seem to be as much of an isue as I thought it would be.

Portibility and battery life are a plus for me, as I'm a student and take my laptop with me daily. I really can't decide. I've also never used a mac before :p

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
I am pretty sure the MB will run those games just fine. It is running some pretty challenging 3D games without a problem so, you should be fine.

-mx

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
There's some good comparissons on the new macbook/pro's here
The macbook should be fine for games like Spore and Sim City 4 as the 9400 is a reasonably good GPU, light years ahead of the Intel ones. You can always add an external monitor if you need more screen space.
The Pro is very much aimed at the high end user so unless you really need all that power then stick with the macbook and take the RAM up to 4GB, just don't buy RAM from Apple as they are a rip off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.