PDA

View Full Version : Mac strikes back in ad war

MacBytes
Oct 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Mac strikes back in ad war (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081026154833)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

thomahawk
Oct 26, 2008, 02:50 PM
haha... COOL
go apple microsoft sucks at ads

Kilamite
Oct 26, 2008, 03:22 PM
I really do wonder what the average person who sees these adverts on the tele thinks. They really won't have a clue on the war.

But nevertheless from a geeky point of view, they are very amusing.

mkrishnan
Oct 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
I really do wonder what the average person who sees these adverts on the tele thinks. They really won't have a clue on the war.

The ads make sense, I think, without really understanding the full subtext. But they are awfully negative. I hope in the long run it develops the right kind of image and customer base for Apple. They should be solid enough on design, aesthetics, and execution that they don't need negative advertising....

Oct 26, 2008, 04:04 PM
I really hate the new Apple ads, ever since they really started bashing Windows Vista. It just seems low brow and petty. All they do to me is portray the Mac as an elitist snob and the PC as a bumbling fool constantly thwarted in his attempts to look not so stupid next to the Mac. To me, they project, once again, that Macs are cool and PC's suck and only losers have them, feeding into the Mac's make you cool as soon as you buy one and that anyone who doesn't have one has to be brought over to the Mac side of the world. Honestly, it reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition (now is not the time for a Monty Python joke, BTW); if you don't have a Mac, you're a lesser person and need to be converted (a word I hear a lot in regards to "switching") and all these ads from Apple do are feed into that stereotype, not helping the die hard PC users to see that Macs don't make you less of a person, nor do they help die hard Mac users see that PC's don't make you less of a person.

Sorry of that's a little hard to read. I get really intense about this.

Ti_Poussin
Oct 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
I hope they stop this kind of advertising, it's very childish of there part: "Look my OS is stronger then your!". Ok Mac OS is a great OS for end user, but this ads, eurk, make ads that show what you can do with your Mac and Mac OS.

I'm glad they are really back to work with Snow Leopard and addressing real issues, they should do the same with the iLife suite, they got cumbersome over time and found myself unable to do what I was doing with previous versions from time to time. The iWork suite is real mess in term of GUI. The under layer is really powerful, the GUI is kind of slow to work with and really unproductive. There's no way they are going to take over Microsoft Office with that.

Please Apple, stop being such a child, you have the base OS to be a growth up person now, begin to act like one.

Oct 26, 2008, 04:29 PM
I hope they stop this kind of advertising, it's very childish of there part: "Look my OS is stronger then your!". Ok Mac OS is a great OS for end user, but this ads, eurk, make ads that show what you can do with your Mac and Mac OS.

I'm glad they are really back to work with Snow Leopard and addressing real issues, they should do the same with the iLife suite, they got cumbersome over time and found myself unable to do what I was doing with previous versions from time to time. The iWork suite is real mess in term of GUI. The under layer is really powerful, the GUI is kind of slow to work with and really unproductive. There's no way they are going to take over Microsoft Office with that.

Please Apple, stop being such a child, you have the base OS to be a growth up person now, begin to act like one.

Hooray for people who think logically and are not blinded by the reality distortion field (or the aura of bull$h!t as my brother calls it). I think the new Microsoft ads (I'm a PC and I'm...) are very good. I wish Apple would stop making themselves looks like douches in the advertising world, I think it hurts them more than helping them, as I'm sure there are people on the fence about switching that stay with PC's just because the Mac in the commercial is a dick and think that all Mac users are like that.

queshy
Oct 26, 2008, 04:45 PM
I still find Tiger more stable than Leopard...so get to work Apple.

Kilamite
Oct 26, 2008, 04:55 PM
I still find Tiger more stable than Leopard...so get to work Apple.

Please give us details on why you find Leopard unstable.

It is the most stable OS I've ever used since 10.5.3 was released.

ProwlingTiger
Oct 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
I like the new ads.

People will not switch unless they know that something better is out there. Apple has to show why Mac OS X is better than Vista. And what easier way to do this than to show Vista's faults? Sure they can preach about all the features of Mac, but until viewers see Window's faults, they won't be compelled to switch. The average person doesn't go "Oh that OS looks cool, I'll go blow $1000+ on a new machine." They're more likely to say "Hey I didn't know of all those problems that Vista has. Maybe I should find an alternative (cue Mac picture with Apple logo)."

Oct 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
I like the new ads.

People will not switch unless they know that something better is out there. Apple has to show why Mac OS X is better than Vista. And what easier way to do this than to show Vista's faults? Sure they can preach about all the features of Mac, but until viewers see Window's faults, they won't be compelled to switch. The average person doesn't go "Oh that OS looks cool, I'll go blow $1000+ on a new machine." They're more likely to say "Hey I didn't know of all those problems that Vista has. Maybe I should find an alternative (cue Mac picture with Apple logo)."

Yes, but they also portray a rather negative picture of the Mac world. And who would switch if they think that only snobbish jerks are on the other side?

ProwlingTiger
Oct 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, but they also portray a rather negative picture of the Mac world. And who would switch if they think that only snobbish jerks are on the other side?
The same can be said for Bounty paper towels, which target the low absorbency rate of other brand paper towels. Or Toyota which puts down other brands' fuel mileage efficiency.

Fact is, this is just typical advertising, with a slightly comical twist. I don't think that viewers perceive the commercials as representing the whole Mac community.

Oct 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
The same can be said for Bounty paper towels, which target the low absorbency rate of other brand paper towels. Or Toyota which puts down other brands' fuel mileage efficiency.

Fact is, this is just typical advertising, with a slightly comical twist. I don't think that viewers perceive the commercials as representing the whole Mac community.

Who ever said I like other advertising? All I'm saying is that while negative remarks about your competitor are necessary, I think Apple does it in a way that puts them in a bad light, rather than making themselves out to be the good guys.

ProwlingTiger
Oct 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
Who ever said I like other advertising? All I'm saying is that while negative remarks about your competitor are necessary, I think Apple does it in a way that puts them in a bad light, rather than making themselves out to be the good guys.

But as I said, making them look like the good guys won't gain them any new users if people are happy with Windows. No point in switching because some other company has a cool OS. Now if your current OS is crap.....

AlmostThere
Oct 26, 2008, 06:20 PM
Apple has to show why Mac OS X is better than Vista. And what easier way to do this than to show Vista's faults? Sure they can preach about all the features of Mac, but until viewers see Window's faults, they won't be compelled to switch.

I have just upgraded my PC to Vista. While I had heard all sorts of horror stories and had held off for quite a while, the opportunity arose and I have been very pleasantly surprised.

There was a little familiarisation needed, but Vista hasn't crashed once, doesn't have any of the reported "sluggishness" and all my software works fine. This is on a 500 home-built PC (and the OEM version is the same the price as OS X, so it isn't actually as expensive as is often made out).

While I have used Leopard a little, my Mac laptop is on Tiger, I just don't see any real wow factor or feel the need to upgrade.

cohibadad
Oct 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
I find my kids watching the Mac ads for fun. They love them. Their ages 4-13. I'd say Apple's marketing approach is fairly compelling. The newest ads are superb. V Word and PC as king are brilliant.

kajitox
Oct 26, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think that the ads are well done and for a typical user (though perhaps overplayed) are effective at least for getting the Mac product name out there. In my experience I think that people see those and consider a Mac for their next purchase, if even for a second.

supmango
Oct 26, 2008, 09:35 PM
I really hate the new Apple ads, ever since they really started bashing Windows Vista. It just seems low brow and petty. All they do to me is portray the Mac as an elitist snob and the PC as a bumbling fool constantly thwarted in his attempts to look not so stupid next to the Mac. To me, they project, once again, that Macs are cool and PC's suck and only losers have them, feeding into the Mac's make you cool as soon as you buy one and that anyone who doesn't have one has to be brought over to the Mac side of the world. Honestly, it reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition (now is not the time for a Monty Python joke, BTW); if you don't have a Mac, you're a lesser person and need to be converted (a word I hear a lot in regards to "switching") and all these ads from Apple do are feed into that stereotype, not helping the die hard PC users to see that Macs don't make you less of a person, nor do they help die hard Mac users see that PC's don't make you less of a person.

Sorry of that's a little hard to read. I get really intense about this.

Yeah..., as a former PC user I DO think Apple is right on the ball with this. My 8 year old nephew gets it and he has no clue what is going on in advertising between the two companies.people have commented that the average person will not understand these ads, and my nephew does. Obviously apple has looked at this. BTW, these ads are a part of the reason I switched.

supmango
Oct 26, 2008, 09:38 PM
I have just upgraded my PC to Vista. While I had heard all sorts of horror stories and had held off for quite a while, the opportunity arose and I have been very pleasantly surprised.

There was a little familiarisation needed, but Vista hasn't crashed once, doesn't have any of the reported "sluggishness" and all my software works fine. This is on a 500 home-built PC (and the OEM version is the same the price as OS X, so it isn't actually as expensive as is often made out).

While I have used Leopard a little, my Mac laptop is on Tiger, I just don't see any real wow factor or feel the need to upgrade.

let us know how Vista is working for you in about 6 months. My experience with it is the same as every other previous OS from MS, it takes a little time to ferment. :)

thunderweb
Oct 27, 2008, 12:40 AM
I think Apple's ads are clever, and ya know, isn't this the way almost all advertising works? Even if they are bashing MS so what? It is called trying to get people to buy your product. And most people out there aren't going to know about the ad war between MS and Apple anyway, so it's going to seem like regular ads to them.

You have to admit that Apple knows how to present their company very well.
:apple:

willjax
Oct 27, 2008, 01:08 AM

Gotta agree with you. Im running vista on my PC that I use for music production as I find it too hard to use my macbook due to size etc and i haven't had one problem with it. The only thing i get annoyed at is being asked to confirm everything. Then again, i still have to do this with my mac from time to time when installing software, certificates etc

Ktscheinqe
Oct 27, 2008, 05:18 AM
let us know how Vista is working for you in about 6 months. My experience with it is the same as every other previous OS from MS, it takes a little time to ferment. :)ah, Vista is not too bad (for win users). seems Vista mostly needs new hardware. sp1 is probably the "cleanup" version. Like OS 10.2 cleaned up 10.1, yes? (sort of like your grandparents advising to never buy a car model in its first year.)

that news link: Vista is in danger of being skipped over by a large proportion of consumers because the next iteration of Windows, dubbed Windows 7, is due for general release late next year. and that date will be shoved forward... I can see some people reacting to news of win7, "vista reminds me of WinME - orphanware! (bastardware?)", but ms won't make that big a mistake. especially since vista is still nt(fs), while in contrast, WinME was the end of 9x.
featured stars including comedian Jerry Seinfeld (reportedly paid US$10 million for his appearance), actress Eva Longoria, singer Pharrell Williams and even the author Deepak ChopraI've seen 3 versions of those ads, but haven't recognized anyone but Gates. Pharrell Williams is the only one i've never heard of.
I think the ads with ll cool j (?IIRC) and some other celebs were pretty good. the celeb narrates while you see his (her?) hands flipping photos and stuff around, similar to "magic hands" card tricks. I think those ads were intel or hp.

Adamo
Oct 27, 2008, 07:31 AM
I don't understand the Windows ME comparisons, because ME is the worst piece of doo-doo I've ever had the misfortune of buying and having to use - Vista is far better than that and quite good for the regular customer who just wants to type up documents, listen to music and surf the net. Thankfully, OSX is there for anyone who wants to do more than that, as well as XP if you're that way inclined.

synth3tik
Oct 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
The I'm a mac ads are so dated.

ttopp
Oct 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
well i like pc in the ads.. hes the better character. the mac man is boring compared to the pc guy.. pc guy is more creative in the ads thinking up new things to get at the mac guy.

in the real world the mac is the pc character doing things to be better than pc's, and pc's are the smug well we dont have to cos we are entrenched everywhere..

well thats my take on them..

p,s macs r better though lol

ntg
Oct 27, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't understand the Windows ME comparisons, because ME is the worst piece of doo-doo I've ever had the misfortune of buying and having to use - Vista is far better than that and quite good for the regular customer who just wants to type up documents, listen to music and surf the net. Thankfully, OSX is there for anyone who wants to do more than that, as well as XP if you're that way inclined.

OMG - Intel-based NICs anyone?
In fact - generally a nightmare on a network!
one to forget, otherwise the therapy bills will start...:eek:

nig.

supmango
Oct 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
ah, Vista is not too bad (for win users). seems Vista mostly needs new hardware. sp1 is probably the "cleanup" version. Like OS 10.2 cleaned up 10.1, yes? (sort of like your grandparents advising to never buy a car model in its first year.)

SP1 fixed some of the problems I have with it; that is after I finally got it to install correctly (complete reinstall from the disk was necessary prior to upgrading, which is a pain for anyone). It still has to be restarted daily or it crashes, and sometimes crashes even WHEN it has already been restarted. The only time I restart my Mac is when it has to for an update (and subsequent permissions reset). BTW, the hardware profile for my work PC running Vista is way above the minimum requirements.

and that date will be shoved forward... I can see some people reacting to news of win7, "vista reminds me of WinME - orphanware! (bastardware?)", but ms won't make that big a mistake. especially since vista is still nt(fs), while in contrast, WinME was the end of 9x.

If/when MS releases an OS with the release date pushed forward, they had better make sure it has been beta tested to a T or it will be fatal for them. My father who swore up and down he would never by a product from Apple is about 2 steps away from switching himself. That says a lot to me.

supmango
Oct 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
The I'm a mac ads are so dated.

Dated but still effective. Just had a friend switch after watching the bake sale ad.

ProwlingTiger
Oct 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
My experience with Windows is that it needs to be reinstalled once a year to keep its performance up. And I understand I'm not the only one with that adage.