Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkeyb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Hey guys, sorry if this has already been posted but is there a glare reducing cover for the new alu Macbooks out yet? I came from a matte screen and I am having an extremely hard time adjusting, headaches etc. any help out there? Or any in the near future?

AluminumMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
I made a similar thread a couple of days ago but no one replied. lol

Anyways, I'm looking into buying a ViewGuard matte cover:

http://www.buyviewguard.com/catalog/index.php?id=133-1610

I'm not sure how well it will work though... I'm trying to find testimonials before I order one.

Reviews on Dell.com via NoteBookReview.com:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=242631&page=3

Here is a positive review that someone posted on Dell's IdeaStorm website. http://www.ideastorm.com/article/sho..._Frames?page=3

Quote:
I cannot believe how many comments everyone has written about the glossy screens and how terrible they are! I am in complete agreement with everything I have read today - but WAIT!!!! I have a genuine solution. I scoured the web looking for solutions to this problem before I bought a Dell. Up until I found the solution I was being forced to consider an HP laptop which still offer the "normal" anti-glare screens.

So anyway, I found "ViewGuard" - an anti-glare film that discreetly sticks on top of any screen, esp. glossy. They're about US$20 and cost me US$30 to send it to me in New Zealand, but check out the difference! It's amazing.

We first fixed the anti-glare film on the right side of my screen to test the difference. That light you can see in the "sky" of the wallpaper continues across to the right side but look at how it almost disappears! This is all you guys need. You can buy your favourite laptop and not worry about what kind of screen it's got. I can't say enough about these guys and their screen films.

This is the one I bought here:
http://www.buyviewguard.com/anti-gla...hp?id=VG-31705

Here's another:

Note the bright part bottom left (glossy) compared to the bottom right (matte), and the light again on the main part.

I added my comment in a hurry earlier and now, after re-reading it, I don't think I made it clear how we tested the product in these photos. We laid half of the anti-glare film on the right-hand side of the screen, so the left 50% is the natural "glossy" screen, and the right-hand 50% is now matte. If you look carefully you'll see the line down the middle of the screen where the matte starts.

That grid-shaped light in the middle of the screen is a long fluroscent box and is almost twice as long as what you see here - the right-hand half of it has become defused by the anti-glare film and is why we're raving about the ViewGuard product. The clarity and brightness of the flowers on both halves illustrate that no real difference to brightness has occured and the blacks still appear black to us. We saw a cheap anti-glare product in a store here in Auckland NZ recently but the lady demonstrating it had all kinds of problems getting air bubbles out from under it as she applied the film. It was much thinner plastic than ViewGuard's product and it didnt block the reflections as well either. This product is thick enough to be easily applied with virtually no air bubbles. The product sticks to the screen with a faint adhesive, which by the way doesnt seem to leave any traces on the screen when removed.

Both photos above show a reflective part at the bottom left and right. This is the outside reflection which would have appeared all the way up the left side of the screen but window blinds had been pulled half way down the window, with just the bottom portion showing here. Although the right-hand side still shows some reflection, screen detail can still be viewed and it's nothing like the mirror-like effect of the left side.

Oh, and before someone asks, no I'm not associated with ViewGuard in any way, apart from being a very satsified user of their product. :)
It certainly opened the door on my buying choices once I discovered the product.

Here's the last photo we took (cropped) if anyone's interested...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.