Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I started with the Power Support Anti-glare, bought at the Apple Store for $14.95, which includes 2 film covers. This was the first film I bought for my new iPhone 3G. My first impressions of it was great. Nice film, went on easy, and the fingerprints were not noticeable. I liked it.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone3G_antiglare.php

I then had to get my phone replaced, it kept re-setting on me, and I was forced to re-start all the time. I bought a new set of the Power Support, and although it did not go on as easily as the first set, I also noticed other things. After having a naked phone for few days, I really noticed that the anti-glare, although it stopped the fingerprints, was really blurry. Things looked dull, and the colors seemed faded.

In comes the SGP Anti-Fingerprint film, and I am sold. $11.99 for their set of 2 films, super fast delivery, and the product is top-notch. I am completely amazed at how clear the product is, and how bright everything looks. Fingerprints are non-exist, and it was a breeze to install.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/177

My choice. Hands down, the SGP Anti-Fingerprint.

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
I can't be so comfortable with anti glare ones....
I'm using SGP's crystal clear one that came with their shield and im pretty much satisfied
It's thinner than power support's so more sensitive
Power support's was great too but I would give SGP a point for cheaper price with the quality

mr-macintosh

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
used the SGP anti fingerprint and it wins bty far, there is absolutley NO fingerprints whatsoever... awesome

PSiBeR

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
Toronto
I ordered the SGP crystal version a week ago, should arrive late this week hopefully. I can't stand the Anti-Fingerprint version with the blurred/dulling effect on the screen.

I watched one of Carlos' video reviews on this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQs3-fFe1s

and he seems to be praising this over the Power Support Crystal which I am currently using. So we'll see how well it holds up against the PS.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Just wanted to add my vote for SGP. Their clear and their anti-fingerprint screen protectors blow away PowerSupport, IMO.

I am a "screen-shield junkie" I have several of each kind in my drawer. I am currently using the BSE, which I like a lot. It's sort of a compromise between anti-glare and clear, in that it is more optically clear than anti-glare, but less fingerprint prone than the plastic clear screen protectors.

That being said, when I take off the BSE, without a doubt I will go back to the SGP products.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I also like the SGP anti-fingerprint. I ususally use the crystal clear, so it takes a bit of getting used to. I DON"T miss the fingerprints, however. it also feels like paper. Nice.

One thing I have noticed is a wearing of the film where my wife plays a word game. You can see where she moves the word tiles around, but only when the phone is off and tilted.

Just my $0.02.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
One thing I have noticed is a wearing of the film where my wife plays a word game. You can see where she moves the word tiles around, but only when the phone is off and tilted.

Just my $0.02.

Ah interesting, that's one of the things that is still making me pull the trigger with SGP Anti Fingerprint film. I've had the PS Anti-glare since July and so far it is doing great, no wear offs and still no scratches.

So how durable really is this SGP film? anyone had it for more than a month on their iPhone that could comment?

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
Ah interesting, that's one of the things that is still making me pull the trigger with SGP Anti Fingerprint film. I've had the PS Anti-glare since July and so far it is doing great, no wear offs and still no scratches.

So how durable really is this SGP film? anyone had it for more than a month on their iPhone that could comment?

im using crystal clear one from them, not anti-fingerprint one though.
slightly over a month, no scratches and doing good so far in my magical handbag that has everything you can imagin inside.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
im using crystal clear one from them, not anti-fingerprint one though.
slightly over a month, no scratches and doing good so far in my magical handbag that has everything you can imagin inside.

Thanks for the input. Anyone? Other comments? I'm more on looking for the SGP Anti-fingerprint's durability especially after considerable use like a month or more, because based on experience from one of the users above, the film wears off.. can someone shed light?:confused:

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Thanks for the input. Anyone? Other comments? I'm more on looking for the SGP Anti-fingerprint's durability especially after considerable use like a month or more, because based on experience from one of the users above, the film wears off.. can someone shed light?:confused:

I ordered and got mine a couple of days ago, and oh boy I'm amazed, the quality of the image is not as bad compared to Anti-glare, they definitely made it a little bit clear. Now I'm rockin' this shield protector, bye bye PS Anti-glare.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Starting to sound too good to be true. Okay who has pics to post? I tried the antiglare from PS and could not stand the grainy images. Specially when reading books or web sites.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Starting to sound too good to be true. Okay who has pics to post? I tried the antiglare from PS and could not stand the grainy images. Specially when reading books or web sites.

I couldn't post a really macro shot because I don't have a digicam, but trust me I've always surfed Macrumors forums on my iPhone before on my PS Anti-glare, and the small grainy effect against the white background bothered me. Right now I'm viewing any white background websites and my eyes aren't bothered anymore. I waited since October before getting this, I wish I could've purchased it earlier.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008

I'm with you slappy

the two choices break to this simple choice

IF you can stand grainy images, the anti glare screen protectors are the best you can buy

I couldn't which is why I chose the bodyguardz shield

although if someone could take some pictures I would love to see what the SPG vs nake iphone looks like

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Ok, as I saw this thread pop up once again I decided to chime in also, being that I have had both the PS and SGP anti-glare films now. Currently I have the SGP on my phone and love it. The feel is better as is the image that shows through. Yes, it is still grainy, but not as much as it was with the PS film.

Now for the bad, SGP sent me the films about a week ago. When I went to put them on, the first film was actually cut crooked. I tried multiple times for like an hour to get it on and make it work, but no luck. No matter what I did, there was just too much glass that was not covered due to the slightly crooked cut. So then I pulled out the second film and put this one on. Now with this one, the cut was straight so I was able to line it up perfectly. The size however is not perfect like it was with the PS. There is actually about 1mm of uncovered glass surrounding the edge. It is almost as if this was a film that was cut for the original iPhone and not the 3G. And yes, it does say iPhone 3G on the packaging. I double checked it.

So anyways, I email SGP store about this, but have not gotten a reply about it yet. We will see what happens. I will try to update.

I am wondering though, anyone else out there with the SGP anti-glare film on notice this? Does your film cover the glass in its entirety, or not quite?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, as I saw this thread pop up once again I decided to chime in also, being that I have had both the PS and SGP anti-glare films now. Currently I have the SGP on my phone and love it. The feel is better as is the image that shows through. Yes, it is still grainy, but not as much as it was with the PS film.

Now for the bad, SGP sent me the films about a week ago. When I went to put them on, the first film was actually cut crooked. I tried multiple times for like an hour to get it on and make it work, but no luck. No matter what I did, there was just too much glass that was not covered due to the slightly crooked cut. So then I pulled out the second film and put this one on. Now with this one, the cut was straight so I was able to line it up perfectly. The size however is not perfect like it was with the PS. There is actually about 1mm of uncovered glass surrounding the edge. It is almost as if this was a film that was cut for the original iPhone and not the 3G. And yes, it does say iPhone 3G on the packaging. I double checked it.

So anyways, I email SGP store about this, but have not gotten a reply about it yet. We will see what happens. I will try to update.

I am wondering though, anyone else out there with the SGP anti-glare film on notice this? Does your film cover the glass in its entirety, or not quite?

I think I might have to give these a shot, pretty interesting. I loved the PS anti-glare on my 1st gen and felt smooth. These are smoother? WOW!

I actually wouldn't mind if there is 1mm around the device. Wouldn't have problems with slider cases that have lay on the table. I think personally I would benefit from that.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
fishmd,

I wouldn't say 1mm on mine, but probably around one half of a millimeter, it's pretty small and unnoticeable but yes you're correct it doesn't cover the left and right side completely, the top and bottom are nicely fit though.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
What I like about Power Support is that they don't actually use adhesive (or so I've read). Do these SGP protectors leave any residue after a year? Do they cover the front and back of the iPhone 4?

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Instead of starting a new one, and it matches my exact question.

I usually go with Power Support, but I'm not sure I want to wait until the end of July. Anyone have any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.