Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has Running Windows on your Mac changed anything?

• Yes - I actually find I prefer Windows more than OS X

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • No - Windows is, and always will be, a second-class OS

Votes: 67 76.1%
  • It definitely changed my perception of Windows, but OS X is still better.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Goodbye Apple - I'll keep the iPod and iPhone, but that's it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
So, lets be honest here: now that Apple computers have been running Windows for some time, and plenty of users have decided to try out Windows in either Boot camp, VMWare Fusion, or Parallels, has anyone started liking Windows more than OS X?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
What a stupid poll.

You give us no option to choose a preference of both OS or to choose Windows over Mac OS X.

I'm starting to think that this forum is full of nothing but mindless Apple fan drones unwilling to accept that Apple isn't always the best in every circumstance. Jesus. Both operating systems are good. They each have their flaws. Maybe the problems in Mac OS X doesn't bother you or affect you. Well, good for you. Nobody cares.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
What a stupid poll.

You give us no option to choose a preference of both OS or to choose Windows over Mac OS X.

I'm starting to think that this forum is full of nothing but mindless Apple fan drones unwilling to accept that Apple isn't always the best in every circumstance. Jesus. Both operating systems are good. They each have their flaws. Maybe the problems in Mac OS X doesn't bother you or affect you. Well, good for you. Nobody cares.
Holy moley.

Okay, yeah a "I think they're equal" option would have been nice, but the first option on the poll is basically saying "I prefer windows". Did you read the post before replying? Also, the original post had nothing to do with fanboyism. And why exactly are you saying this in this thread? Yeah there is a lot of unfair windows bashing here and elsewhere on the internet, but I don't see what makes you so angry with this particular poll. It seems pretty impartial to me.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
All that has changed for me is that I can play some windows games and run some small utilities only available on Windows, on a single computer. Previously I had to use 2.

Yes, Windows still sucks and I will never use it as my primary OS, unless Apple screws up BIG TIME.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Originally I used OSX for work and Windows for gaming, but then I grew impatient with rebooting and stopped playing games all together. Don't touch Windows now.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
What a stupid poll.

I do agree that both OS's are good but have their flaws... But calm down man!!! It's just a poll, it's just a forum with peoples opinions... If you find the poll and or thread or BOTH stupid, ignore it... No need to tear a bunch of people apart because of it.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
What a stupid poll.

lol

Maybe a "they're equal" option would have been good but I guess this is a better way to force you to choose one, as a "they're equal" response could have resulted in people who don't want to "honestly" admit that they like Windows better say they're equal and that would be the end of the thread.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Of course you're going to find heavy bias on a MAC forum. lol.

I switched to apple 2 yrs ago and ever since that time I've been running XP on parallels. I can honestly say that having the best of both worlds makes me hate windows even more than before. I honestly do everything I can to avoid ever using windows. Haven't even put it on my new macbook yet.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
lol

Maybe a "they're equal" option would have been good but I guess this is a better way to force you to choose one, as a "they're equal" response could have resulted in people who don't want to "honestly" admit that they like Windows better say they're equal and that would be the end of the thread.

Well, why does someone have to choose? I also don't see a Linux poll, which would include pretty much all Distros (I'm fond of Ubuntu myself). Isn't that the beauty of boot camp? Not necessarily to "transition" over. Some people have programs that are only specific to one platform, and that affects how much someone may like (or dislike) a certain platform (ever wonder why a lot of gamers don't like Mac?).

As much as Apple and MS would want to sell you the idea that your computer defines who you are. But an OS, or a computer for that fact, is a tool for doing something. Whether it's to help you relax or to get work done. It's a tool. As far as I'm concerned, being able to use Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux is just more tools in my belt.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Using a Mac and a PC, especially after wanting a Mac for years, actually made me realize how much I prefer Windows than OS X. When I would use my MacBook in OS X, I always felt it necessary to have my PC booted up as well, yet with my MacBook in Boot Camp, I turn off my main PC a lot more now.

Explorer is so much better than Finder, and everything I can do on a Mac I can do on a PC. The only things I like better on OS X is iChat with 3 people and the way the fonts are rendered, especially in programs like iTunes. Other than that, I much prefer Windows Vista.

JNB

macrumors 604
Having had and used both before they were even there as we consider them today (ProDOS and MS-DOS machines in the '70's & '80's), I never really fell too hard one way or the other, but I prefer the Mac environment. Would that all the apps I have to use appear in the OSX world, I would be a happy camper indeed, but since that's not the case, I just use the OS that is most suited to the task at hand, and sometimes it's neither OSX or Windows.

manofthehill

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Both have advantages...

DISCLAIMER: I have a PowerPC laptop, and use Windows only on a separate machine at work.

It's true: both have advantages.

I work in industrial design, so in addition to adobe stuff (which I could very well do on a Mac), I also use AliasStudio, which is a cool CAD package and is only available on PC & Irix. So here I sit, a faithful Mac user, in the corporate world with my Dell. At first, I use to cringe.

However...

I've discovered many things about Windows that I actually prefer, including how easy it was to change the user colors to a nice, dark gray theme. Easy on the eyes, good for Photoshop, Illustrator and AliasStudio. Still waiting for a nice, ultra-dark Leopard theme.

I also like the (default) option to organize things in Explorer as a "tree" structure (it's dorky engineering-style, but it really works).

Another plus: In Vista, searching directly from the Start menu works very well.

As any Mac user, there are many things in Windows I could gripe on about. I can't resist naming a few:
- The buried interface controls (sound, appearance, etc.).
- Truly dreadful default task bar & start menu colors. They were bad in XP & Vista's worse.
- In Vista, by default, there are obnoxious items glued on the desktop: a school classroom-style clock from the early sixties, a cheesy slideshow, and a useless glossy "dock" ripoff (which doesn't seem to function well at all).

It occurs to me that Windows adds gimmicks where it ought to instead CLEANLY package and market its strengths.

But many CAD & engineering apps aren't even available on the Mac, so Windows at least has that going for it...:rolleyes:
-Chris H.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Windows isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I was impressed by how fast and snappy things loaded up on my MBP in Vista 64 and also with gaming performance.

However, I still feel OSX is a better environment to get work done in with the way the interface is laid out. Everything is a lot more intuitive and I find myself able to put my thoughts together better.

My main gripe with Windows is how most applications encourage the user to only view one program at once and keep the window maximized. I find that most of the tasks I do that need a computer require multiple applications, or it would be beneficial for me to see what else I need to have done.

Also, OSX just seems to handle multiple open applications a whole lot better than Windows. But yeah, I heard of horror stories of Vista when it first came out, but I feel that now, it isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Windows isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I was impressed by how fast and snappy things loaded up on my MBP in Vista 64 and also with gaming performance.

However, I still feel OSX is a better environment to get work done in with the way the interface is laid out. Everything is a lot more intuitive and I find myself able to put my thoughts together better.
The other system will always feel less intuitive to most people as they are used to doing things in a certain way. Most people struggle with relearning, which is much harder than learning. So any other way of doing it often seem less intuitive, even if it is easier and actually more intuitive to a fresh user. You also get used to the stupid quirks and workarounds in whichever system you use and then forget they are there, even though these quirks can be really annoying to new users.
I use both side by side and I'm lucky in that I don't have problems relearning and can compartmentalise things. But my view is that both systems are very good in places and both are awful/fiddly in others. Neither is 'intuitive' overall as many things on both are hidden away and what is easy on one is sometimes really hard on the other. On the PC I miss parts of OSX and on the Mac I miss parts of Windows. Be nice to combine the strengths of both as I find them both frustrating at times.

My main gripe with Windows is how most applications encourage the user to only view one program at once and keep the window maximized. I find that most of the tasks I do that need a computer require multiple applications, or it would be beneficial for me to see what else I need to have done.
Not the case, you can have programmes at whatever size you want and can resize from any side [so much more intuitive! :p :D] which makes laying out several windows side by side much easier than OSX's bottom right corner only resize I find. Personally I prefer to have Windows resize to full screen in a single click, though it also resizes back to your preferred size in a single click.
I always have programmes fit to window and simply alt+tab/Cmd+tab [win/mac] between them.
Finder cannot even expand to fit its contents consistently and it I was forced to choose between platforms it would be Finder that would prevent me using OSX as it is so remarkably awful, clumsy, underpowered and time consuming. And I've tried loads of Finder tweaks, alternatives....though if I can ever get my Boot Camp install working well enough, I'll use Directory Opus on Windows to replace Finder. Which will be the best of both worlds.
You can also resize columns in progs like Explorer by double clicking at top to autofit content or manually dragging from anywhere on column, not just at bottom, again much easier than Finder, but quite possibly overlooked by Mac users.

Also, OSX just seems to handle multiple open applications a whole lot better than Windows. But yeah, I heard of horror stories of Vista when it first came out, but I feel that now, it isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.
I used to run loads of apps side by side 7-8 years ago in Windows no problem and currently find OSX no different from my Windows install in that regard, despite the Mac machine being 3 yrs younger with a much newer OS installed.

The main issue with any OS is that they are quite complex and most people do not know how to use them as efficiently as they could. So when using another system, there are often useful things present that you simply do not realise are there, as you do not have them on your system or are simply implemented differently and you are looking in the wrong place and you haven't yet learned how to use the new OS properly yet. Control Panel vs System Preferences would be a good example, I prefer the OSX method overall but not in all tweaks.
Most criticisms I see of Windows is by people who don't actually know how to use it properly/never used it. Very like all the criticism regarding the much improved CS4 inteface even before it was launched.

The same problems happen when going from Tiger to Leopard, XP to Vista. Office 2004 to Office 2007, CS3 to CS4 people always complain about the new interface, despite the fact that UIs usually improve overall.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
- In Vista, by default, there are obnoxious items glued on the desktop: a school classroom-style clock from the early sixties, a cheesy slideshow, and a useless glossy "dock" ripoff (which doesn't seem to function well at all).
Apparently a bit of a resource hog too, so may be best turned off.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
the only reason i use windows nowdays is to share big files betwween external hd's that osx won't usually be able to (because of the ntsf format pn most of my friends external hd's)

Liquid Q8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I start with windows 95 then 98 then 2000 then xp for more then 10 years, three months ago i got macbook and after tow weeks of using it i start thinking wow ... more then 10 years and we r having the same problems with each version of win Viruses, missing DLL, error popups msg, trojans, spams and the most important is LOSING DATA. dont wana mention the unlimited popups in vista ... -.-

But still
windows is the best OS sys .... "syst.dll is missing press ok" ...
"advpack.dll is missing please restart you computer"

.... restarting ....

windows is the best OS you ever use for home or business ....
"your computer has been compromised please restart your computer"
.... restarting ....

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I chose "No - Windows is, and always will be, a second-class OS"

I actually think OS X has always been superior to Windows, but before that they catered to different markets.

Windows was a better consumer platform until OS X arrived and covered most of the bases.

Now there's 'Intel inside' and (if you need it) you can run Windows there's really no excuse not to get a mac other than cost. If cost isn't an issue, I'd say you have to be stupid to not give yourself the pleasure :)

wallstreetcrash

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
New York
the only reason i use windows nowdays is to share big files betwween external hd's that osx won't usually be able to (because of the ntsf format pn most of my friends external hd's)

Can you explain further, I'm aplnning to buy several external hard drives for my MacBook (which is on order) and will transfer big 8GB files regularly.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I start with windows 95 then 98 then 2000 then xp for more then 10 years, three months ago i got macbook and after tow weeks of using it i start thinking wow ... more then 10 years and we r having the same problems with each version of win Viruses, missing DLL, error popups msg, trojans, spams and the most important is LOSING DATA. dont wana mention the unlimited popups in vista ... -.-
Finder loses entire hard drives, OSX is constantly asking for my password, sometimes when I just want to move files. :mad:

But still
windows is the best OS sys .... "syst.dll is missing press ok" ...
"advpack.dll is missing please restart you computer"

.... restarting ....

windows is the best OS you ever use for home or business ....
"your computer has been compromised please restart your computer"
.... restarting ....
I've had to reboot my MacPro countless times as it's completely locked up, so they don't work too well either.
And if you want techy garbage, here's some meaningless [to non nerds] gibberish regarding permissions. Which seems to be a regular Mac issue and why I cannot move my data at times as permissions have suddenly gone wonky.

2986428207_b483c4348d_o.gif

Or if you want plain mangled screen displays here's OSX having a recent flaky moment. Thankfully the 10.5.4 bug fix stopped the redraw problems that can be seen in second screen grab.

2986428273_50e563cc9c_o.jpg

2618092829_3af5566878.jpg

Anyone who thinks either system is perfect/without flaws needs their head examined. Both are very good, both are problematic.

Liquid Q8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
ajpl
you are right both of them are designed by human but i still prefer using mac more then win and i still using win for visual basic

and some one said booth of them are tools to server us :)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I like them both. Granted I only use Vista 64 for gaming for the most part, but it has always been very good to me. Leopard I use for everything else (pretty much always boot into Leopard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.