PDA

View Full Version : Target MS punters, Harvard whizz tells Apple

MacBytes
Feb 4, 2004, 12:50 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Target MS punters, Harvard whizz tells Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040204135024)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

0 and A ai
Feb 4, 2004, 01:49 PM
"One example highlighted by Yoffie is the development of iTunes and the iPod initially only for the Mac as a way of attracting customers to the platform. "If Steve had really been thinking in terms of the breakout strategy, he would have started out on Windows and come to Macintosh later like everybody else in the world. But that's not the way he thinks."

:rolleyes:

Mudbug
Feb 4, 2004, 02:02 PM
did this post give anyone else a weird "enter username/password" request screen, as tho in a pay version of the site?

mrsebastian
Feb 4, 2004, 02:08 PM
this guy is obviously not a mac user and though some of his points are valid, he completely misses the mark on why we're such mac fanatics.

yes i agree the only way apple would ever be able to take over the computer world, is by licensing it's software to other manufactureres. that however, will never happen, not while steve is alive and i doubt it'd happen even if hell did freeze over. that said, i wouldn't want my rolls royce of computers to turn into an everyday accord. there's a reason i paid a [bleep] load of money for my mac... and here's the part of the article that just proves this guy doesn't have a clue about mac fanatics,
"If Steve had really been thinking in terms of the breakout strategy (itunes), he would have started out on Windows and come to Macintosh later like everybody else in the world. But that's not the way he thinks."
uh what?! if that did ever happen, there would be riots at apple stores and we'd all be asking for steve's head.

Rower_CPU
Feb 4, 2004, 02:08 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58699&highlight=HBS

Mud-
MacworldUK always does that to me.

balconycollapse
Feb 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Ivory tower egghead.

-----------------------
deanforamerica.com

winmacguy
Feb 4, 2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Mudbug
did this post give anyone else a weird "enter username/password" request screen, as tho in a pay version of the site?

I had no problems Mudbug, I posted it.
Cheers Winmacguy

Keynoteuser
Feb 4, 2004, 03:07 PM
The ONE thing people always seem to miss is that Apple still considers itself a HARDWARE company. Unless they map out a strategy to change that, they'll NEVER EVER make an Intel/AMD version of the Mac OS. The big gamble would be, how much money would they make at this point in the game if they went to software for their main source of revenue. I don't think it would be enough right away to take the place of their hardware sales. Who knows, but I just don't see them going for it.

Sun Baked
Feb 4, 2004, 03:27 PM
Maybe this guy should read and understand the history of OS/2, but he is a Harvard whiz -- so there's no reason to look at the history of MS.

Where being in a situation where developers can either choose to support your OS, or just Windows, and still have you as a customer will get you.

Plus Apple continues to avoid the low margin end of the market -- ie, growth through riding the edge of profit/loss line (like eMachines/Gateway etc.).

Of course Al Dunlap's method for creating sales/growth/profit are about as useful as this person's ideas for future corporate viability.

And for some reason I could see this Harvard whiz telling people how nifty Al Dunlap is.

sjk
Feb 4, 2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mudbug
did this post give anyone else a weird "enter username/password" request screen, as tho in a pay version of the site? Yeah, I've always had to cancel that login sheet three times when visiting www.macworld.co.uk via MacBytes links. Bringing up the Alert window in Safari shows cancelled status for these links:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/admin/images/mwextralogo.gif
http://www.macworld.co.uk/admin/images/mwx_text.gif
http://www.macworld.co.uk/admin/news/templates/min-width.gif

Mystery solved. :)

formatc
Feb 4, 2004, 04:06 PM
If Apple had the "Outlook/Exchange" killer, then they would be selling more hardware.

A perfect example is genetics. Apple ported the BLAST application to OS X, then they needed a cluster to run it on.

VT built a cluster out of G5 desktops, but now the G5 Xserve is here.

If I were Apple's CEO, I would go after Outlook/Exchange. The client would be web-based for cross-platform, and the server would be Xserve G5.

Thirteenva
Feb 4, 2004, 05:50 PM
"So many of Microsoft's customers are unhappy with pricing, and there is a new willingness to entertain new concepts, new ideas, and new products, that didn't exist before."
He added: "There is a window for a desktop alternative to Microsoft in many markets around the world, and if Apple should decide to aggressively pursue that market it could be an interesting opportunity for them.

There still is an alternative to Microsoft its called BUYING A MAC, or running linux. Both of those are alternatives that do not require apple to license their os or port it to the x86 architecture both of which are only ideas that look good on paper but will probably only hurt apple in the long run.

"Apple could concede that it has lost the operating system war, and instead leverage the brand, industrial design skills, and application base," he suggests.

Lost the war??? That depends on who's judging the battle and what their judging it on. If your looking for a problem free OS that is not plagued by viruses and major exploits then it looks to me like Apple has won.

This guy doesn't have even the faintest idea of what he is talking about. With each successive sentence he seems to become more engulfed in his ingnorance.

Nermal
Feb 4, 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by formatc
If Apple had the "Outlook/Exchange" killer, then they would be selling more hardware.

If I were Apple's CEO, I would go after Outlook/Exchange. The client would be web-based for cross-platform, and the server would be Xserve G5.

I'm surprised that Apple doesn't already have something similar to Exchange. They're actually using Exchange for their internal mail, which probably involves a hefty payment to MS. I'm sure they could come up with something better if they wanted to though.

iMeowbot
Feb 4, 2004, 09:19 PM
Mac OS X cost about a billion dollars to produce an install base of 10 million is not going to recoup those development costs.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that part of the price of a new Mac is for OS X, and of course there have been plenty of retail sales.

Figuring a rough typical license cost of $100 (not even getting into upgrades), ten million users is a billion right there (unless he has in mind the big billions used outside the US; but doubtful if he's based at Harvard).

filipp
Feb 5, 2004, 03:35 AM
I think that apple products ARE so stable because Apple desides what hardware we should run, instead of us buying any crap-hardware for ourselves. That's the biggest problem with Windows, it can't handle all low-quality hardware that is released by all the millions companies out there.

Keep it coming, Apple

/ f

Fender2112
Feb 5, 2004, 08:09 AM
Sounds to me like Yoffie wants a Mac but mommie won't let him have one.

I don't understand why folks like still insist that Apple needs to license OS X. When Apple first did this back in the mid 90's I was as excited about as the next guy. But in hindsight, which is always 20/20, it was a bad move that almost put Apple under.

Other folks are always complaining that Macs are too expensive. That's just not true. Every time I compare a Mac system to a comprable PC (unsally Dell), the difference (about $200) is small relative to the total cost of a system.

I think the problem is the marketing. PC retailers offer all kinds of package deals for a special price that include rebates of all sorts. That $600 Dell package is actually going to cost $1200 out of pocket before any discounts of reabtes. Buy hey it's a $600 computer, right? However, that $1100 eMac will cost you ... $1100 ... ta da. No gimicks, no trickery.

I don't have any solutions or options to offer, I'm not a marketing expert. But I do see how alot of people get duped by this "rebate" marketing.

Oh well, that's enough rambling for now. :)

jefhatfield
Feb 12, 2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by mrsebastian
this guy is obviously not a mac user and though some of his points are valid, he completely misses the mark on why we're such mac fanatics.

in business theory, he is right, but we are, in a sense, a cult (or extremely loyal following that is cult like) that is extremely loyal to apple through thick and thin and even if the current users worldwide falls below two percent, *8 mil out of 400 mil today, that will not matter

if developers from other companies give up on apple, then apple will take the slack and develop everything for themselves and if the company needs to shrink, that will be ok since the mac faithful will always be there for apple inc...everything from musical instrument companies to military forces to airlines have shrunk and downsized and in certain cases, have achived a better profit/results

dell has very successfully raided apple's once reliable education market and it is obvious by now that apple will not successfully compete as a business office machine for the masses...macs may one day be a small genre just for artists of all stripes and there is no way i can see the art community giving up their macs...it would be like nra members giving up their guns

if apple inc had to shrink to 2000 employees and give up some of their office locations around the world and around silicon valley, then so be it...as long as apple inc consistently makes a profit, then they are in business

being profitable is what is key, not growing and growing

i am sure steve jobs would like to see an appleworks product outsell microsoft office, or have mac os x overtake windows, but that simply will not happen, so apple inc has wisely kept us artists and musicians happy, and most of us who do art or music on computers really don't care how many secretaries use microsoft office around the world