Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Just installed vmware fusion and a copy of windows xp pro on my 2.0 ghz aluminum macbook. I'm trying to run "The Political Machine 2008", but I'm getting very poor performance, and it's not loading up correctly.

I'm using fusion 1.1.2, since I had been hearing some negative things about 2.0. I opened up the settings and checked to allow 3d acceleration, and gave my virtual machine more ram, but I still can't get the game to run correctly.

Any suggestions? or am I just screwed? :mad:

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
i would try upgrading to vmware fusion 2.0 (it's a free upgrade, so it would be worth a shot.) if it doesn't work you could always go back to version 1 (maybe back up your windows partition first as 2.0 installs new vmware tools.)

vmware fusion 2 supports "DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 3D graphics" which might help with the particular game you are trying to play (vmware fusion 1 does not have this support.)

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
i would try upgrading to vmware fusion 2.0 (it's a free upgrade, so it would be worth a shot.) if it doesn't work you could always go back to version 1 (maybe back up your windows partition first as 2.0 installs new vmware tools.)

vmware fusion 2 supports "DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 3D graphics" which might help with the particular game you are trying to play (vmware fusion 1 does not have this support.)

Thanks for the tip, that fixed the problem for me. :D

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Also, I'm using the 30 day trial of fusion on our macbook, but my wife owns it for her macbook air. Anyone know if we are able to install it on our macbook as well, or do we have to purchase another copy?

Thanks

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Also, I'm using the 30 day trial of fusion on our macbook, but my wife owns it for her macbook air. Anyone know if we are able to install it on our macbook as well, or do we have to purchase another copy?

Thanks

anyone? :confused:

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
i think it would be possible to install it on both mac's at the same time.

the legality of this however is another issue. you would have to read the vmware terms and conditions.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
They sell it in 1, 5 and 10 license packs so I think it is pretty clear that they want you to buy a license for each installation. I think it's a reasonable investment anyway... if you don't want to pay it then just bootcamp, you should get better performance anyway.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
XP performance on 2.0 Alu Macbook

to the OP:

How does your 2.0 Alu Macbook handle XP? I have the same thing and am thinking about adding Windows. I am not sure if I will just go with Bootcamp or Fusion, etc. I am just concerned with speed/performance with the smaller processor and 2GB RAM.

To anyone:

Would the 2.0 Alu Macbook run Vista very well? If anyone has tried it, please let me know your results. And if Vista, 32 or 64 bit?

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
To anyone:

Would the 2.0 Alu Macbook run Vista very well? If anyone has tried it, please let me know your results. And if Vista, 32 or 64 bit?

Ok, I guess i answered my own question about 32vs64 bit. According to Apple's website only the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro support 64 bit.

I am still curious about how my 2.0ghz Aluminum Macbook will perform with Vista and XP with the base 2GB RAM.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ok, I guess i answered my own question about 32vs64 bit. According to Apple's website only the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro support 64 bit.

I am still curious about how my 2.0ghz Aluminum Macbook will perform with Vista and XP with the base 2GB RAM.

2GB RAM is very tough

I would recommend the RAM upgrade for sure

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.