PDA

View Full Version : (Alternative) to Cal Digit Raid Card for Mac Pro

phildog33
Oct 27, 2008, 02:17 AM
Is there any card out there which will Raid5 .. the internal 4 drives in the mac pro... plus external drives???

I need at least 8-10Tbs of space and I am using Seagate 1.5Tb drives right now

Id like to use the internal bays if possible instead of leaving them empty

Thanks for replying

P

nanofrog
Oct 27, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yes. :)

Multiple possibilities, but more info is needed to proceed. ;)

1. SATA, SAS, or both
2. How many drives total (I'm assuming 8, 10TB/1.5TB = 7 (rnd), but you might want more)
3. Are you willing to use a separate OS drive (mount in empty optical bay)
4. Do you need to run it under Boot Camp
5. Budget (they can get expensive, fast, depending on specifics)
6. Do you need to boot OS X from the array (better to run OS disk from logic board I/O IMO. Faster too.)

This can help set you in the right direction. ;)

phildog33
Oct 27, 2008, 02:59 AM
Nanofrog,

Ive been using the Caldigit Raid card with HD element for a few months now, and its just not been reliable.

Ive lost all my data 2-3 times now, with 2-3 weeks getting everything repopulated from backups. Its jsut very very tempermental.. It works for a few weeks.. then simply just powering it off in the wrong way, can completely kill the whole array and lose everything. Its a lot of stress and the Raid 5 feature just doesnt feel safe.. I still have to backup everyday nightly.. in case something happens.. And in 4 monhts its happend about 5 times.

I have one boot drive mounted under the optical bay already.

Im using 4 internals plus 4 external in the HD element, for 7Tbs in Raid 5.. but i will run out in a few months (Im a photographer)

I need something RELIABLE, supper reliable and really works, not sometimes.

Just need Sata drives
Id like 8 bays or 12... using hte Seagate 1,5Tb drives that should last me a long time
Os Drive is separate already
No need for boot camp
Budget.. right now the raid card is $500 plus the cost of drives and some extneral enclosure... Dont want to spend crazy money but somthing that works better than this setup

P

nanofrog
Oct 27, 2008, 03:26 AM
Nanofrog,

Ive been using the Caldigit Raid card with HD element for a few months now, and its just not been reliable.

Ive lost all my data 2-3 times now, with 2-3 weeks getting everything repopulated from backups. Its jsut very very tempermental.. It works for a few weeks.. then simply just powering it off in the wrong way, can completely kill the whole array and lose everything. Its a lot of stress and the Raid 5 feature just doesnt feel safe.. I still have to backup everyday nightly.. in case something happens.. And in 4 monhts its happend about 5 times.

I have one boot drive mounted under the optical bay already.

Im using 4 internals plus 4 external in the HD element, for 7Tbs in Raid 5.. but i will run out in a few months (Im a photographer)

I need something RELIABLE, supper reliable and really works, not sometimes.

Just need Sata drives
Id like 8 bays or 12... using hte Seagate 1,5Tb drives that should last me a long time
Os Drive is separate already
No need for boot camp
Budget.. right now the raid card is $500 plus the cost of drives and some extneral enclosure... Dont want to spend crazy money but somthing that works better than this setup

P
That ROYALLY SUCKS! :eek: :(

Try looking at Areca ARC-1680ix12 (http://www.provantage.com/areca-technology-arc-1680ix-12~7AREC011.htm) (more ports also available) :)
12 ports internal, 4 external.
Just add some extra cache if you want (512MB std, upgrade to 4GB).

Another possibility would be the Atto R30F (http://www.attotech.com/expressSASr30F.html).
Can be found for US$1,039.39+VAT here (http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=21802). You might be able to find it elsewhere for less, IDK for sure.

External enclosure: EnhanceBox E8 MS (http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/desktop/E8_MS.html). $549.99 Silver (http://www.directron.com/eb8mss.html). Happens to look good with the Mac Pro. ;) Not sure if the HDElement would work, given they made life difficult intentionally. :o

Internal to external adapter (http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/). Again, IIRC, they can be had for slightly less.

The Areca is less expensive, and wicked fast. :) Technical support is more difficult, as they are based in Taiwan. Set-up is performed via a browser, but not that hard. ;)

Atto costs more, but are US based, so you can call for technical support. The software is very easy to use.

Hope this helps. :)

phildog33
Oct 27, 2008, 03:39 AM
Do you recommend the Atto ($1250) over the Areca card ($750) ??

IM trying to decide which one goes better with that Enhance Silver Box enclosure and will work with all Seagate 1.5TB drives

Does this setup really sound more reliable and proven and tested, in the field, to work... unlike caldigit raid card and hd element?

P

nanofrog
Oct 27, 2008, 03:54 AM
Do you recommend the Atto ($1250) over the Areca card ($750) ??

IM trying to decide which one goes better with that Enhance Silver Box enclosure and will work with all Seagate 1.5TB drives

Does this setup really sound more reliable and proven and tested, in the field, to work... unlike caldigit raid card and hd element?

P
Personally, I'd go with the Areca. :)
The difference in cost can't be ignored, plays well with Macs, and is faster. Way faster than the CalDigit. :D
Quite reliable, from my experience. BTW, they OEM some, possibly all of HighPoint's products. ;)

Technical support is best done via e-mail, unless you don't mind international phone calls. I've not done this, so I can't even say if you can speak to someone in English. Obviously, e-mail takes longer to get information, and it can be a bit cryptic, but I'd think you can manage. ;)

Hope this helps. :) Again, sorry you've had so much trouble. I assume you're unable to return the stuff. :(

I was looking at, and had pointed other members to Accusys, the OEM for CalDigit. Though I'm not sure if the technical issues are from the changes made per CalDigit's specifications, I won't be pointing anyone else in that direction. :cool:

Good luck. :)