Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cogmission

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Ok first, my reason for posting this is not to simply bash a game that a lot of people seem to enjoy, but to introduce a game that takes what's good about WoW and evolves it like 5 generations!

The depth of EVE in terms of it's play is on a par all its own. There is no "sharding" - all 30,000 players can interact with each other.

The Market economy has sooo much more depth as the players extract ore which is refined into minerals which then are combined with blue prints to make "reactions" which are then combined with each other to make "complex reactions" which are then combined with more blue prints to make actual components which are then assembled to make ships and other things.

The depth here is UNIMAGINABLE!

Training on characters takes place even when you aren't logged on - no "grinding" necessary.

The graphics and sheer beauty are magnitudes greater.

The Player interactions are much more complex - giving rise to group cultures that are infinitely vast in terms of their nuance.

The PvP aspects are mind-blowing and contain far more depth than WoW.

There are tons of ex-WoW players on EVE - those that have been lucky enough to discover EVE have never looked back.

Check it out - you'll be changed for life!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been tempted to try Eve, but have not yet. However based on what I know the two games seem very different, one being spaced based, fly around in spaceships making money or fighting. The other ground based, explore outstanding ecosystems and dungeons working with others.

I'm familiar with WoW's "party" system. Why is Eve better in this regard?

Having 30k players all interacting with each other sounds cool. It's too bad that WoW servers can't be connected in that manner for communications with other players. But what if all 30k Eve players all decided to go to the same solar system at the same time? :)

No grinding necessary? You still have to go out and fetch stuff, although it could be argued that the stuff your gathering is for making something vs being gathered purely for XP.

PVP sounds like a larger component of Eve than it does in WoW. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just an observation. While WoW does seem to have thriving Battlegrounds, my impression is most of the heaviest action is PVE in the big dungeons.

Bottom line, when comparing 10M subscribers to 30K, calling WoW a "joke" seems to be a personal opinion, but I'm not calling Eve a bad game. :D

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ok first, my reason for posting this is not to simply bash a game that a lot of people seem to enjoy, but to introduce a game that takes what's good about WoW and evolves it like 5 generations!
Check it out - you'll be changed for life!

Not getting into a debate of which MMO is better, your basically comparing a space flight/sci-fi game to a slash and dash land based walking fantasy lore game?

Flight Sim vs Land based Walking?

IMO Flight will often times seem more evolved as far as this is concerned, if you want to make an honest comparison, (Eve is actually in a unique genre of MMO's) you would compare WoW to LOTRO, SWG, Conan, etc.

Eve would be more compared to say Vendetta Online, etc.

Yah all these games are MMO's true, but just because one plays MMO's doesn't mean their willing to or have a desire to Fly a ship. I've showed my wife WoW and she is NOT a gamer by any means and I showed her Vendetta (it's not Eve but it's similar which is sorta proving my point) and she did NOT want to do a flight sim. She basically said if she had to play an MMO she's rather walk around and chat rather than trying to fly, plus after I showed her Eve's interface she was like "What the F*ck is THAT!"

Now if she liked flight sims Eve might interest her. So basically I'm saying your comparison sucks ;) Compare Eve to another flight sim MMO not a land based MMO.

JMO.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Not getting into a debate of which MMO is better, your basically comparing a space flight/sci-fi game to a slash and dash land based walking fantasy lore game?

Flight Sim vs Land based Walking?

IMO Flight will often times seem more evolved as far as this is concerned, if you want to make an honest comparison, (Eve is actually in a unique genre of MMO's) you would compare WoW to LOTRO, SWG, Conan, etc.

Eve would be more compared to say Vendetta Online, etc.

Yah all these games are MMO's true, but just because one plays MMO's doesn't mean their willing to or have a desire to Fly a ship. I've showed my wife WoW and she is NOT a gamer by any means and I showed her Vendetta (it's not Eve but it's similar which is sorta proving my point) and she did NOT want to do a flight sim. She basically said if she had to play an MMO she's rather walk around and chat rather than trying to fly, plus after I showed her Eve's interface she was like "What the F*ck is THAT!"

Now if she liked flight sims Eve might interest her. So basically I'm saying your comparison sucks ;) Compare Eve to another flight sim MMO not a land based MMO.

JMO.

Eve isn't a flight sim so the comparison to Vendetta is just as sucky. :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What an odd comparison.

Personally, after trying Eve for a few days I gave up on it. It simply wasn't enjoyable for me and seems like an MMO for more hardcore players. And personally I just don't like the space environment. I like natural landscapes and 'walking'. And looking at how many people play both I think a lot of other people are of the same taste.

cogmission

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
My new MBP just got here (off the FEDEX truck) - so you know - I'll try to answer each point you guys have brought up in a few ok?

Again, my point really wasn't to bash WoW - I just want to introduce peeps to a very polished, nuanced and absorbing game who's mechanics have evolved over WoW's. It would be nice if you all could join us on EVE - if MMO's are your bag, you might have an eye opening experience!

but i'll get to your questions - as soon as I get my EVE partition (windows xp) up and running and software transferred and I'm able to slow the drooling down to a manageable fountain :)

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The only issue with EVE is that the Mac client is a joke when compared to the WoW client. I've played both and I love EVE but, honestly, the Mac client is a POS with fairly poor support and tons of outstanding, long-term, bugs. Other than that I quickly dropped my WoW account and have been playing EVE for several months now. The one thing that really caught my attention was the increased complexity of the game compared to WoW; as cog was saying, there is a huge amount of depth to the game but the downside is that it creates a fairly large learning curve (I still have much to learn).

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Eve isn't a flight sim so the comparison to Vendetta is just as sucky. :p

OK for those who take the term 'flight sim' literally let me clarify, I'm pretty sure we all know Eve is not a "FLight Sim" but it's still "Flight" based, it's no XPlane but it's a whole different game compared to WoW, it IS more like Vendetta than it is WoW.

Compare Eve to another space flight sim joystick (or keyboard) gyro game but not to a land based WASD game.

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
I've tried EVE and it just felt less accessible than other MMOs and RPGs for that matter. It was much more complicated than the others and it made it less fun to me but, I know that there are those who enjoy that aspect of it. I had a friend go from WoW to EVE and enjoyed it a lot more.

-mx

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I tried Eve for an extended time and came to realize that when I got off from work I didn't want to role play being at work.

esXXI

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2005
Preston, England
EVE. For when second-job MMOs just weren't enough.

(Sorry, I tried the trial, I really wanted to like it but it's very bland and uninteresting in my eyes)

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Isn't EVE the game where players are afraid to leave their starting zone for fear of getting ganked when they don't have enough money to insure their ships?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Each to their own I guess.

Though I find it a difficult comparison, as people said one is scifi and the other is fantasy.

Judge wow how you like, its till the number one MMO.

MMOs are not about how many people play at the same time, its about design, and wow works. If anything having too many people on the server at the same time can get annoying when you want to get tasks done, less people = less competition.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
I have tried eve about 5 times now. (5 times = 5 separate weeks of trying) I just can't stand it! I hate flying around open space hoping something happens. I need to be able to get out and move around. It's as irritating as Pirates of the Burning Sea with its travel for 20 minutes fight for 5. WoW is a great game, but there's no point in playing it anymore because everyone just sits on their lvl 70s and you never get help to level.

I want City of Villains for Mac. I run it with Crossover games, but it doesn't like NVIDIA cards!

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
OK for those who take the term 'flight sim' literally let me clarify, I'm pretty sure we all know Eve is not a "FLight Sim" but it's still "Flight" based, it's no XPlane but it's a whole different game compared to WoW, it IS more like Vendetta than it is WoW.

Compare Eve to another space flight sim joystick (or keyboard) gyro game but not to a land based WASD game.

Er... You what?

Have you played EVE at all? There is no direct control over your ship. (Some say this is a bad thing... I'm inclined to agree) It's far far away from Vendetta in terms of gameplay.

I've bounced between EVE and WoW over the last few years. I love the setting for EVE, I love the universe and the dark, gritty lore; it's such a shame that the game is so inaccessible.

It takes forever to learn how to play, you'll lose lots of cash experimenting, trying things out... Cash that takes time to recover. PvP is brutal, you have to have your wits about you all the time, even in Empire space if your Corp is part of an Alliance. The stakes are high, but the rewards can be amazing.
And then, on the other hand, PvE is awful. Missions cycle every 10 goes or so and mining is the biggest time sink in a game. Ever. I've wanted to get into business and trade, but then I'd have to spend another 2 months learning the skillset.

EVE is a game for you if you have a lot of time on your hands, don't mind the learning curve and enjoy edge of your seat PvP.

Oh and another thing that gets me is how you're almost expected to have a second account. Every player worth their salt has a second miner alt account. That really put me off. You can't train two skills on two of your characters at a time. Their Mac support sucks too. I wouldn't run it in anything less than Windows XP.

To sum up, WoW is a multiplayer game set in a singleplayer universe. EVE is a multiplayer game created by the players for the players. EVE is hardcore, WoW is casual friendly.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
I have tried EVE numerous times since the Gemini beta phase. And every time I am burned out after about 2-4 weeks. The skill system always annoys me. The ability to train without doing anything or even being online just doesn't seem right to me.

I am hoping Darkfall, if it actually ever comes out, satisifies my hardcore needs. And for my space ship pew pew needs, I am waiting for Jumpgate Evolution.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The only issue with EVE is that the Mac client is a joke when compared to the WoW client. I've played both and I love EVE but, honestly, the Mac client is a POS with fairly poor support and tons of outstanding, long-term, bugs. Other than that I quickly dropped my WoW account and have been playing EVE for several months now. The one thing that really caught my attention was the increased complexity of the game compared to WoW; as cog was saying, there is a huge amount of depth to the game but the downside is that it creates a fairly large learning curve (I still have much to learn).

So I'm reading it might be better to play Eve over Bootcamp?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoW is a great game, but there's no point in playing it anymore because everyone just sits on their lvl 70s and you never get help to level.

After a three year break I'm back on WoW (Dalaran Server) and I've not found that to be my experience. There are quite a few low level toons running around. So far I've done Stockades and a Scarlet Monastery run. The "find a group" interface is much improved over what was offered when I left the game years ago.

savadious

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I played EVE for MONTHS and months !

Its GREAT being able to play in a game with a subscriber base of about 30,000 .. that means you will never be alone !

Sometimes I would see up to 5 other players in ONE day WOW thats MASSIVE !

For some reason I left Eve and eventually ended up in WOW... with a 11,000,000 subscriber base (blizzard reported 11m mark reached october 2008) you can see 100x the people Eve has... just by walking through a city or two...

I also didnt like eve's idea of letting me gather minerals/mining all day just to get blownt up by pirates and have to start all over in a stinking escape pod :apple:

end of story.

dbsperrin

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
I'm a Mac Addict. I'm an EVE Addict!

I can't get enough of EVE Online. I've been playing for 2 years now non-stop, and just love it. I've played the others, and have only stuck with EVE and do some LOTRO from time-to-time.

If you want to get into the action with some support early on, search out a good player run corporation that you can sign with and play as a group with them. It vastly improves learning and the fun!

Now that mac has a teamspeak client, it makes the game much more enjoyable. Most player run groups use teamspeak to communicate during mining ops or fighting sorties.

Loads of fun, and I run it on the PC boot on my iMac (I only use the Mac client to change skills when I'm working). Otherwise, boot into Windoze and play there natively.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Gentlemen,

You are all trying to sell me on Eve? Problem is I can't find a game called "Eve" anywhere online.

Is that the name or am I missing something? So far I'm loving WOW and have no complaints. But I am open to trying this Eve game.

Please leave a link to this game if possible. Thanks.:)

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I jumped at the chance to try EVE on trial. I love all games based in space (RIP Homeworld), and I love the idea of the magnitude of it all.

Turns out, I hate the magnitude. It's freaking lonely out there in space, and when you're travelling from point to point, I get lost, and there isn't any scenery to stare at.

Apart from a really painful and fruitless introduction and tutorial session, I gave up, and promptly returned to the tried and true, WoW. Couple of posts above mentioned 5 ppl was a lot, well I never saw a single other player in my 1 hour of struggling to like EVE.

WoW is a great game, but there's no point in playing it anymore because everyone just sits on their lvl 70s and you never get help to level.

That might be true in general. But if you join a good starter/casual guild you will find help is almost always at hand. I've been the same casual guild for over a year and I help out whenever I can spare the time. Plus it gives me a chance to smash little mobs left right and centre. Gather them ALL of them up, all the way to the boss, and hit Thunderstorm. Now that's how you can run everything up to SM. Cael, Oceanic.

To me EVE is like Runescape lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.