Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

form

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I just purchased this dual 800mhz G4 quicksilver mac with 1.5gb ram, original graphics card and an 80gb hard drive for $100. I think it's a great deal, even if I had to throw away the old DVD drive and put in the one from my previous mac.

I searched macreviewzone but there's nothing that compares this desktop to another like the G4 digital audio systems. I am curious about performance comparisons with my older system, the 533mhz digital audio G4. Does anyone have any comparisons to that or a similar system? I am not noticing a huge difference, but there is some improvement with rendering changes in lightroom.

Thanks!

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Probably the best place to see comparisons is to check out Barefeats.com. You will probably have to search for the older articles from when the systems were fairly new. You can also check the sites of Xbench or Geekbench, but these are synthetic benchmarks and the results can vary greatly.

Depending on what you use your PowerMac for, the difference may not be that different. It will mostly come down to whether or not the applications can support multiple processors. An upgraded video card may help some things that use core image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.