PDA

View Full Version : Looking for artists

scem0
Feb 4, 2004, 05:49 PM
I've always had an interest in vocally-centered music and so I have listened to a lot of Mariah Carey, Xtina Aguilera, Yma Sumac, etc.

But I haven't been able to find a male singer whose music is centered around his voice.

Singers like Mariah Carey use a very wide range, varying degrees of power, and they change the sound of their voice sometimes from song to song. In addition to this they do something I like to call 'vocal gymnastics' where they alter their voice to make cool sounds. For example at the end of 'Fantasy' by Mariah Carey she is singing in very high head voice (but not wistle registers) and she makes it a more shrill kind of sound than the usual softer high notes (at about 3:22). And a more common form of 'vocal gymnastics' are when singers go over many different pitches in a short amount of time. You hear it all the time in Mary J. Blige's music and a great example is at ~3:11 in Mariah Carey's 'lead the way'. Other feats you hear female vocalists do are just sheer power singing. Basically just belting it out. Like At the end of 'Fighter' by Xtina Aguilera where she doesnt actually say anything but just sings 'yeah' really powerfully (at about 3:00). Are there any males that do this?

Justin Timberlake uses a pretty good amount of his range, but rarely sings with any power, and his singing doesn't involve much 'vocal gymnastics'. Plus most of his music is annoying and overplayed.

The closest I've gotten to a song involving all the aspects im looking for is Jason Mraz's 'You and I both'. The beginning of the chorus has power, which I love. He sings with an acceptable amount of range, but more would be better IMO. He kind of has that hiccup sound during the chorus when he says 'you and I spo(hiccup)oke of' (it doesnt sound like a hiccup, but he just changes pitches in the middle of the word, and I can't think of a good word that explains that). He does it again when he says 'Im finally ou(hiccup)ou(hiccup)out of'.

I hope I'm not just going on and on without anyone understanding what I'm looking for.

I'm basically looking for a male version of Mariah Carey, Xtina, Celine Dion, Yma Sumac, etc.

It doesn't have to be pop music, but I'm betting any guy doing the singing I'm looking for is singing pop.

The lead singer of the Darkness has the range (;)), but the songs are annoying as hell, and he isn't a very good singer in general.

I was thinking there is probably an opera singer that has all the elements I'm looking for, but I don't listen to any opera (Yma Sumac is opera kind of), so I don't know.

scem0

applebum
Feb 5, 2004, 11:43 AM
Love that Jason Mraz song. If you want a wonderfully pure male voice with a wide range then you should listend to Josh Groban. He is by far my favorite voice out there today - male or female. Listen to his versions of "Jesu, joy of man's desiring". I think he shows excellent range there. Hope this helps.

scem0
Feb 5, 2004, 08:23 PM
He seems cool enough, but a bit too operatic for me.

Another good song that demonstrates what I'm looking for is the acapella version of shai's 'if I ever fall in love again', especially when he does the third "my friend" at a really high note.

The reason I like this type of music is because I like music that is a challenge to sing along to, by the way.

scem0

acidrock
Feb 5, 2004, 08:54 PM
I wonder if you'd liie boyz II men? -n

scem0
Feb 5, 2004, 09:01 PM
they were my favorite band for the longest time.

That was a looooong time ago though.

I really do need to get my old cd's out and give them another listen.

scem0

bennok
Feb 5, 2004, 09:52 PM
Mike Patton is an incredible vocalist who uses his range, as well as using his voice as an instrument...
Yet somehow I doubt you'd be interested in what he does...
Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Lovage (maybe check that one out) and numerous other projects.

Actually, yea, maybe check out Lovage.

vollspacken
Feb 6, 2004, 11:26 AM
from the olden days:
- isaac hayes
- marvin gaye
- sam cooke

current artist:
- any track that features robert owens on vocals
- vikter duplaix

check'em out :)

vSpacken

acidrock
Feb 6, 2004, 08:30 PM
you might also like Howie Day

scem0
Feb 7, 2004, 11:37 AM
Okay, I have a lot of music to check out, I'll post my critique later. :)

Thanks so much,

scem0

scem0
Feb 7, 2004, 02:58 PM
I talked to my sister at length about my music tastes and I think I'll be able to phrase exactly what I'm looking for better now.

I'm looking for not just a singer, but a vocalist - someone who uses their voice to communicate not just words, but emotion, someone who uses their voice as an instrument.

I'm looking for someone who uses range. Nothing is more annoying to me than a monotone singer.

I'm looking for power. This is important. I'm going to list some songs later, and all of them will have powerful singing.

I'm looking for a singer who gets caught up in the music and just lets go. This is also very important. When I listen to the end of the songs I like, the singer isn't just singing, they are letting their voice out. They are holding nothing back, they are belting everything out. And by everything I mean the emotions too.

I'm looking for a good singer. Jimmi Hendrix has a lot of the attributes that I like in a singer, but I don't really like him because he isn't a good singer. I'm not into guitar, so I just can't get into him. I probably won't like an artist even if they sing with emotion if they suck. A singer's voice should be consistant, not an on/off kind of thing.

I want a artist that I can sing along with, but not easily. I love to sing (although I'm not too good at it), and I love to challenge my voice. But songs by males are soooo EASY to sing! That is the main reason for this thread in the first place. So I resort to singing songs by Mariah Carey, except that these songs aren't meant for a male's voice. That is why I'm looking for a song by a guy.

Here are a list of songs that demonstrate my tastes well:

Jason Mraz's 'You and I both' - Crescendos (too lazy to look up spelling) up at the end. Good singing. Uses a mediocre range, but he makes up for that by being explorational with his voice. For example, the chorus begins with a very strong note, and then it quiets down (within the chorus) and he uses a lot of head voice and falsetto notes. The words aren't even important at the end of the song, it is just the emotion in his voice that is important. Catchy lyrics.

Mariah Carey's 'Forever' - Crescendo's up very nicely(reminds me of 'I will always love you' (is that the name of the song?) by whitney houston). Lots of chest voice, expecially at the end of the song during the climax. And, as always with Mariah, perfect singing.

Train's 'Drops of Jupiter' - I like this song pretty much for the exact reasons that I like 'You and I both'. It crescendo's up, he sings well, and (although this isn't all that important) it has very catchy lyrics. But the main reason I like this song is for the last minute of the song. The singer just let's go, and it makes the song so much better.

Bjork's 'Bachelorette' - This song is my #1 most played song. I don't listen to it much anymore, I listen to 'It's oh so quiet' now :). Bjork sings with power, range, and emotion. Interesting voice, I wish it was more consistant though.

Bjork's 'It's Oh So Quiet' - This song is great. It has a different sound to it, she certainly uses her voice as an instrument. The screams during the chorus are pure gold, although it hurts to hear her do that because I can only imagine how bad that is for her vocal chords. Great song.

Destiny's Child's 'Emotions' - I don't particularly like this song, but I think beyonce uses her voice exceptionally well in this song. She really uses her head voice well, and she gets quite high.

Mariah Carey's 'Emotions' - I don't like this song too much either. But it also demonstrates something I like. Using every aspect of one's voice strategically. Mariah certainly uses her high notes in this song. She uses power too. It is way too late 80's early 90's sounding for me though.

Christina Aguilera's 'Fighter' - I pretty much only like the powerful parts at the end.

christina Aguilera's 'Singin' my song' - I love the note she holds at the end. I think that is different and interesting. She sings very well in this song.

Trapt's 'Stories' - The lead singer of Trapt has a good voice IMO. This song has lots of emotion and I like that. Powerful chorus.

Evanescence's 'Hello' - This song is just beautiful. It doesn't really fit what I'm looking for though because I don't think I'd like this song if a male sang it. The first time I heard this song it sent shivers down my spine when she sang the "suddenly I know i'm not sleeping- ah ooh I'm still here". That part sent shivers down my spine the first 10 times I heard it. That note by itself when she says "ah ooh" is so beautiful.

India Arie's 'I am ready for love' - A pretty song that crescendo's nicely. It gets boring though - it is on the CD I listen to every night as I go to bed :).

Kelly Clarkson's 'The trouble with love is' - A pretty good song. She sings very well, and very powerfully. I think she outsings her voice though, so it sounds very strained and I bet that if she continues to sing the way she does right now that she won't have a voice to sing with in 10 years. I don't really like this song too much, but it demonstrates power and range well.

Pretty much any song by Lauryn Hill - She sings with sooooooo much emotion. Her voice isn't especially great, but it is still very good. All her songs are so heartfealt. I didn't really like her much till I saw her on MTV unplugged, just her, a stool, and a guitar. She sang with so much emotion and she was crying her eyes out during 'I gotta find peace of mind'. Not many artists open up like that.

Mariah Carey's 'Lead the Way' - This is a great song. Mariah sings well, and she doesn't sing too much in her head voice as she does in her current records. She doesn't abuse high notes. She sings with power. She holds a note for a really long time - I really love trying to sing along with her at that part of the song, I can hold out the whole note, but that is a challenge and I certainly don't sing near as powerfully as she does. ;). As I cited in my first post at about 3:11 she does an amazing vocal stunt which I don't know how to explain. She just scales a whole bunch of notes very quickly. That part a can't sing along with ;), but I try anyways.

Shai's 'If I ever fall in love again' (The a capella version) - I love how he does the very high note. Not many are brave enough to sing that high, even though many can. A capella songs when done right are beautiful. I think of A capella as being like a black and white photo. Color photo's are wonderful, and colors certainly can make a picture more beautiful, but the most beautiful pictures are in black and white. The same goes for music. A powerful chorus.

The Broadway Rent Original Cast Recording soundtrack - This is the most sing-alongable CD ever! It is so much fun to sing along with. I love this play to death. I love singing along to 'Over the moon' (it actually isn't on the CD, I downloaded it), 'Glory'/Track 2, Track 6, 'I wanna go out tonight'/Track 7 which I will elaborate on in the next paragraph, La vie boheme (part 1 - this is my favorite song on the CD. I just enjoy singing the parts that are rap-like. Such great lyrics.), and 525,600 minutes (everyone knows this song, it gets old, but it is good. I like how at the end of the song there is a singer at the end who sings very well and sings really high at the climax of her solo. Whoever that is is a great singer). I love this CD so much, and I have pretty much every song memorized. All the singers have amazing voices, all the songs are well written, and every song has its own special mood.

Disturbed 'Down with the sickness' and 'Psycho' - Talk about using your voice as an instrument. David Draiman (I think that's his name) has perfected the whole voice-instrument thing. Does "A wah ah ah ah" ring a bell? ;). I put 'psycho' too because it has a killer little verse where it goes "I can feel the blood flowing through my veins and now the hunger's getting bigger, come a little closer whore and pull my trigger, free the violence that is building in me...." and so on. I love to sing along with that. THe first time I heard that part of the song my mouth dropped and I immediately decided I had to memorize it. Heh, I love songs that are fun to memorize.

Anything by missy elliott. I love Missy.... All my friends think I'm a freak, because I constantly have something of her's stuck in my head. I think she is a genius. She and Timberland come up with the most creative things ever. She is in a genre of 1. I don't like the rap that is popular today (Chingy makes me want to vomit, and most other rap artists make me want to grab a sharp object and stick it sever inches into my ear :eek:. Missy Elliot is different though, she comes up with interesting things and she has if not a positive message, an interesting or funny one.

As you can tell I really like to sing along with my music, so sing-along-ability is very important. But there is no such thing as a song that is too hard to sing along to. I don't need to be able to sing along to it perfectly. I can hit very high notes, but I can by no means sing Mariah Carey's 'Emotions'. There are few who can.

I also like when singers try to not sound the exact same from song to song. Mariah Carey tries to sound very passe in her song 'cry baby' feat. snoop dogg, and I think that is cool of her. Sometimes mariah carey takes on the role of 'powerhouse diva' and just sings at the top of her lungs, which I love, and at other times she takes on a pop sounding voice, and sings at a lower volume but still in chest voice. More recently she has been singing in a lot of head voice, and saves the powerful stuff for the climaxes of songs. Lots of people don't like this but I don't mind too much.

scem0
Feb 7, 2004, 03:00 PM
Bjork also sounds very different from song to song, much more so than mariah. But the queen of sound changing is Missy Elliott :). One song she is R&B, the next she is a female rapper, the next she is.... whatever she is in 'gossip folks'. Every one of her songs has a different sound and feel to it. Missy Elliott is amazing :), I'm a big fan.

So, i've spent a long ass time explaining my musical preferences. Basically music that is a challenge to sing along to, by a person with a good voice that uses all the aspects of their voice, and a song that is vocally-centered.

Mike Patton is an incredible vocalist who uses his range, as well as using his voice as an instrument...
Yet somehow I doubt you'd be interested in what he does...
Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Lovage (maybe check that one out) and numerous other projects.

Actually, yea, maybe check out Lovage.
-----------
Mike Patton - Do you have a song to recommend, because all the songs I downloaded of his were kind of boring. I didn't hear anything too amazing come out of him, I only downloaded ~3 songs though and I have deleted them now.

Tomahawk - Didn't sound bad. I love hardcore music, but I didn't hear anything that really set it apart from other bands. Now that I think about that I think I'll add disturbed above.

As for lovage, I liked them, but I only heard a female singer. I really liked them though, it is good music to listen to while doing something else (whether that be having sex, or playing starcraft :eek: :cool: :D). Reminded me of Tricky and a little bit of Bjork.

from the olden days:
- isaac hayes
- marvin gaye
- sam cooke

current artist:
- any track that features robert owens on vocals
- vikter duplaix
----------------
What songs have robert owens on vocals? I don't know if I was listening to him or someone else in the songs I downloaded.

What songs should I download by vikter? He sounded interesting, I liked him.

Wow, this is by far my longest post.... ever.

No one would ever read everything I just typed :rolleyes:, oh well.

scem0

all I can say right now is that I am sick of music :rolleyes: ;). But I want to say that I really like these 2 songs too:

Papa Roach - Thrown away

Blindside - Sleepwalking.

Okay I'm done with music for the next couple of hours.

bennok
Feb 7, 2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Mike Patton - Do you have a song to recommend, because all the songs I downloaded of his were kind of boring. I didn't hear anything too amazing come out of him, I only downloaded ~3 songs though and I have deleted them now.

Tomahawk - Didn't sound bad. I love hardcore music, but I didn't hear anything that really set it apart from other bands. Now that I think about that I think I'll add disturbed above.

As for lovage, I liked them, but I only heard a female singer. I really liked them though, it is good music to listen to while doing something else (whether that be having sex, or playing starcraft :eek: :cool: :D). Reminded me of Tricky and a little bit of Bjork.
[/edit] [/B]

Songs-
Faith No More: The Real Thing, She Loves Me Not, Easy (Commodores cover), I Started a Joke (Beegee's cover), Star AD, The Morning After

Mr. Bungle: Sweet Charity, Retrovertigo, Pink Cigarette, Chemical Marriage

Tomahawk: You Can't Win, Desastre Natural, Point and Click, God Hates a Coward (lots of effects though)

Lovage: Sex (I'm A), Anger Management (Personally I think Patton should have done the male and female vocals for this album, and he could have ;-) )

You wanna hear voice as an instrument? Check out Fantomas' first album. No words used. Just his vocals during crazy things over crazy vocals.

Maybe I haven't chosen the best examples, and I'm sorry if that's the case. Hopefully I didn't just waste all the time picking those songs out!! :-)

But that's all I'm going to add for now.

Also, what about Bobby McFerrin or Chris Isaak?

vollspacken
Feb 8, 2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by scem0

What songs have robert owens on vocals? I don't know if I was listening to him or someone else in the songs I downloaded.

What songs should I download by vikter? He sounded interesting, I liked him.[/edit]

Hmm, let's see...

There's a pretty good Robert Owens "Best Of" out there, called "Love Will Find Its Way"

You could also check out London Elektricity's "Billion Dollar Gravy" (there are some tracks with Owens vocals on there), I also recommend Fingers INC "Another Side"

For Duplaix you should check out his album "International Affairs" (there are two versions, one for Europe and one with an additional track for North America) AND Jazzanova's "In Between" album (that album is the absolute BOMB!!!) - two tracks feature Duplaix and the rest is pretty good too...

...and here's one more for you: for my favorite female vocalist of all time, check out Tracy Thorn from Everything But The Girl. I've got two recommendations: First, an album: "Tempramental" and second, a track: "Single (Photek Remix)"

:) I hope this helps
vSpacken

trebblekicked
Feb 8, 2004, 08:05 AM
these are both old guys, but there's a wealth of fantastic music by either of them if you should find them to yr liking. anyway, just a shot or two in the dark...

Living For the City- Stevie Wonder (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=102264&selectedItemId=102250) you had mentioned you wanted power, and no one has ever matched stevie in the 70's for power...

My Friend- Take 6 f/ Ray Charles (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=608373&selectedItemId=608363) You also said you wanted to hear some emotion in that voice, and i think ray's got that, plus take 6 are some mighty talented harmonizers.

The Dreaming
Feb 9, 2004, 12:57 PM
Scem0,
have you tried Andrea Bocelli? He's mostly operatic... I'm not sure what your taste is. He is known for his deep emotion and impeccable timbre. If this is of interest, check him out.

If you were looking for a female vocalist, I would definitely check out Kate Bush. She's a British, eccentric, singer, songwriter, and pianist. Kate conveys the most emotion in her work that I have ever heard. She is, however, a very acquired taste. She has a five-octave range, open and beautifully transparent voice, filled with such emotion in her delivery its sure to give you chills. Again, if this interests you, the first song you check out is "This Woman's Work", from the album, "The Sensual World". Another great body of work is the album, "Hounds of Love". Hope this helps, and I would love to know what you think.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 9, 2004, 01:55 PM
Hey Scem-o have you listen to the cranberries? everyone else is doing it so why cant we? or maybe some Enya's Paint the sky with stars? these woman do some cool things with their voices high and low. New age has some unique music.

wordmunger
Feb 9, 2004, 02:05 PM
These guys may be too old for your tastes, but Robert Plant and Sting strike me as fitting your description. Robert Plant had an album, Dreamland, that was nominated for a 2003 Grammy. And of course all that old Led Zeppelin stuff was great.

P.S. Dreamland's on iTunes (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=288127).

Edit: for a more contemporary male sound, how about Maktub? They're an indie Seattle band with quite a cult following. Khronos (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3567267) is on iTunes; I personally like "You can't hide" and "Baby can't wait".