Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sravana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Texas
Hello all,
I will be installing a new XP sp2 on my 17' white iMac very soon, and my browsing of these forums has left some questions for me. Note: I don't have my new copy of XP yet.

First - I only have 512 MB ram - do I need to upgrade my ram before I install?

Second - I'm curious as to how big to make my Windows partition. I have a 160 GB HDD, and I will be using OSX for almost everything. I will be using Windows for a handful of programs: Quicken, SolarFire (astrology program), HomeSite, Daily Journal, Outlook (to sync with my PPC), Turbo Tax, and a handful of anti-virus/firewall/spyware apps (though the only program which will go online will be Quicken). I know to add up the MB needed for all these programs, but what kind of padding should I add to that total? The files for most of these programs are pretty small, and I'll be using OSX for anything with iPhoto or iTunes.

Third - FAT 32 or NTFS. I've read about both, but I'm not that geeky so I don't understand the differences. I think I read that OSX reads FAT32 - so if I want to share files I'll need to do that? Then again, I don't see where there will be many files that I'll be interested in sharing, because OSX can open any kind of image file, or .rtf, or .doc, or .xcl, right? But then the XP partition can only be 32 MB?

I plan to use VMWare or Parallels to use XP programs within OSX, but will likely re-boot to XP to download stuff into Quicken, to protect OSX.

Thank you for your time in answering these questions. I hope to repay the board by answering questions from newbies eventually - when this switcher is more comfortable! :)

hunterjoules

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2007
Hello all,
I will be installing a new XP sp2 on my 17' white iMac very soon, and my browsing of these forums has left some questions for me. Note: I don't have my new copy of XP yet.

First - I only have 512 MB ram - do I need to upgrade my ram before I install?

No, XP will run with 512 MB of RAM. It will run better with more RAM, but you may upgrade the RAM before or after the fact, it doesn't matter.

Second - I'm curious as to how big to make my Windows partition. I have a 160 GB HDD, and I will be using OSX for almost everything. I will be using Windows for a handful of programs: Quicken, SolarFire (astrology program), HomeSite, Daily Journal, Outlook (to sync with my PPC), Turbo Tax, and a handful of anti-virus/firewall/spyware apps (though the only program which will go online will be Quicken). I know to add up the MB needed for all these programs, but what kind of padding should I add to that total? The files for most of these programs are pretty small, and I'll be using OSX for anything with iPhoto or iTunes.

Depending on installation options, I would allow at least 5 GB for XP. Remember you need not only space for the XP install, but also the hundreds of MB of updates you will be downloading after it is installed. Then more space for your apps. As for the padding, I'm not sure. I would think 10-15 GB would be enough for all the apps and data, but I did not arrive at that scientifically.

Third - FAT 32 or NTFS. I've read about both, but I'm not that geeky so I don't understand the differences. I think I read that OSX reads FAT32 - so if I want to share files I'll need to do that? Then again, I don't see where there will be many files that I'll be interested in sharing, because OSX can open any kind of image file, or .rtf, or .doc, or .xcl, right? But then the XP partition can only be 32 MB?

32 GB, not MB. If you decide to go larger than 32 GB, your decision is made for you--NTFS. Less than 32 GB I would still choose NTFS as it is faster and more reliable. OS X won't be able to write to the NTFS partition, but you seem to want to segregate the two sides anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

I plan to use VMWare or Parallels to use XP programs within OSX, but will likely re-boot to XP to download stuff into Quicken, to protect OSX.

This makes no sense to me. Why not just do everything in VMWare or Parallels? Now you need multiple copies of Windows installed on the same machine, along with Leopard. Since you're not planning on doing any gaming, virtualization might be the best option. Even if your Quicken downloads corrupted the Windows portion, it shouldn't have any affect on OS X.

My recommendation would be either Bootcamp OR VMWare/Parrallels. I can't think of any reason to do both.

Thank you for your time in answering these questions. I hope to repay the board by answering questions from newbies eventually - when this switcher is more comfortable! :)

You're welcome.

sravana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Texas
???

This makes no sense to me. Why not just do everything in VMWare or Parallels? Now you need multiple copies of Windows installed on the same machine, along with Leopard. Since you're not planning on doing any gaming, virtualization might be the best option. Even if your Quicken downloads corrupted the Windows portion, it shouldn't have any affect on OS X.

My recommendation would be either Bootcamp OR VMWare/Parrallels. I can't think of any reason to do both.
Thank you for your other answers, hunterjoules - but the above has me scratching my head.

My understanding was that if you install XP, that you do it via bootcamp. Then you can install VMWare/Parallels to run it virtually. Once you've installed both programs you can either re-boot the computer and force it to run XP (without loading OSX) - *or* use VMW/P after you've booted to OSX. So you're saying that's a wrong understanding? Do I need to install VMW/P first, and install XP through that?

I'm quite confused by all this.

JNB

macrumors 604
Your original assumption is correct. A Boot Camped installation is automatically seen and useable by either Parallels or Fusion. No need for additional installs of Windows. Rebooting into Windows isn't necessary to "protect" OSX, so have at as you will.

sravana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Texas
Your original assumption is correct. A Boot Camped installation is automatically seen and useable by either Parallels or Fusion. No need for additional installs of Windows. Rebooting into Windows isn't necessary to "protect" OSX, so have at as you will.
Oh, thanks, JohnNotBeatle.

So if I'm running a Win program through VMW/P and a virus comes in, it won't get to the OSX part of the drive, right? That would be awesome...

I just downloaded crossover pro (it was free, whatever!), and with that you supposedly don't need Windows at all... if I understand *that* correctly.

Thanks for the help. You guys are lifesavers.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Oh, thanks, JohnNotBeatle. So if I'm running a Win program through VMW/P and a virus comes in, it won't get to the OSX part of the drive, right? That would be awesome...I just downloaded crossover pro (it was free, whatever!), and with that you supposedly don't need Windows at all... if I understand *that* correctly. Thanks for the help. You guys are lifesavers.

Just install all the usual windows antivirus rubbish,If a windows virus did happen to migrate across from windows be it from your virtual machine or bootcamp OS X wouldn't be able to understand it so therefor wont harm it

Not sure about your crossover question as i've no need for it seeing as i have Fusion installed

hunterjoules

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2007

Really? I didn't know about that. That's what I love about these forums, you can learn new things even when answering questions. :D

sravana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Texas
Just install the all usual windows antivirus rubbish,If a windows virus did happen to migrate across from windows be it from your virtual machine or bootcamp OS X wouldn't be able to understand it so therefor wont harm it
Not sure about your crossover question as i've no need for it seeing as i have Fusion installed
Oh, thanks, Neil321. I use AVG free antivirus, Zonealarm firewall and Spysweeper spyware programs. Unfortunately most of them don't scan automatically, and they are a real pain on my slooooow vintage 2004 PC. But they get the job done. :) So glad to know that viruses won't effect teh OSX side. :) :)
Really? I didn't know about that. That's what I love about these forums, you can learn new things even when answering questions. :D
:) I'm so glad that you were wrong, because it would've been a royal pain to have to have 2 versions of XP on the same machine! LOL. :)
Yeah, forums like this rock. I can't tell you how much I've learned here. Kept me from buying the 24" iMac with the shoddy (at times) screen. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.