PDA

View Full Version : upgrading imac g3

max••
Oct 28, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have an old imac g3 333mhz, I was wondering how easy it is to upgrade the hard drive and ram:):apple:

SwitchingtoMAC
Oct 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
depends, is the cd drive a tray loading or slot loadng, if it is slot loading you could put a larger Hd and memory but i dont know if it would be worth it

max••
Oct 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
depends, is the cd drive a tray loading or slot loadng, if it is slot loading you could put a larger Hd and memory but i dont know if it would be worth it

It is a tray loading cd drive:):apple:

fohawk17
Oct 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
its not all that hard. i have the same computer and i did it. you can upgrade the ram and the hd.

Here is how......

Find the screw located on the back of the unit. it will be under a handle on the back-bottom. unscrew it and put it in a safe place

place unit face down on a soft surface so you dont scratch the screen. pull towards you on the handle where the screw was, a panel should pull off.

you will find inside 3 to 4 cords, depending how many ports youhave. a tan one and 2 wrapped in what looks like gray tape. unscrew the 2 fasteners holding down the tan cord, then unplug it. pull up on the gray cord that is to its left, and push the release tab on the one on the right.

look above those cords some and there should be 2 screws holding the mainboard down. unscrew these and place with the other screw. pull up and the whole thing should slide out

Replacing The RAM

look for the processor(see attachment)

take off metal casing covering it. you will see the heatsink ( a silver metal thing). take this off. There a expansion slot on the top of the processor. you can put ram in here.

There is also one below the processor. just slide a butter knife under the rim and pry up slowly and carefully.

add ram to both sides. put processor back and replace heatsink and cage.

Replacing HD

look for the cd drive in front of the mainboard. push backward and lift up. the hard drive is under that. unscrew the screws on both sides of it, and lift up. it can be stubborn, so be patient. unplug the cord in the back and replace with new hard drive. plug cords back in and put back into place. rescrew and replace cd drive. reverse the steps to take it apart to put it back together

here is a link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2496/2001/10/howtoimac.html