Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lornholio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I've just discovered Front Row on my new Macbook after playing with the Apple remote that came with my iPod dock. Awesome stuff, especially once I sort out my TV connections. Hint: add an alias inside the Movies folder to anywhere you want (I keep most of my video files on my external drive).

Anyway, does anyone know of a universal remotes that I could use to control my TV, freeview box, Macbook and possibly a DVD player? I've used One For All models before for TV/freeview/DVD, so I've emailed them to ask (no info on their website), but if anyone knows of one let me know.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I've just discovered Front Row on my new Macbook after playing with the Apple remote that came with my iPod dock. Awesome stuff, especially once I sort out my TV connections. Hint: add an alias inside the Movies folder to anywhere you want (I keep most of my video files on my external drive).

Anyway, does anyone know of a universal remotes that I could use to control my TV, freeview box, Macbook and possibly a DVD player? I've used One For All models before for TV/freeview/DVD, so I've emailed them to ask (no info on their website), but if anyone knows of one let me know.

Let us know what one for all say, I would like to know this. I have the Kameleon 6 in 1 that learns remotes. If yours does the direct learning thats one way if ofa dont have the codes.

Lornholio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Let us know what one for all say, I would like to know this. I have the Kameleon 6 in 1 that learns remotes. If yours does the direct learning thats one way if ofa dont have the codes.

Yeah I'll post their reply. So can you program your one to work with your Macbook?

speed12

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
a lot of universal remotes have IR learning which should be good to go to record the apple remote commands. The logitech universals are meant to be ace so I would look there. I'm looking at getting one as my hifi amps remote has just knackered.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The logitech harmony remotes will work with it, at least Logitech's compatibility checker says so.

Lornholio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I got a reply from One Fo All:

Thank you for your email,

(I) Apple: Macbook Pro

We do have two seperate codes that operate the Apple Remote Controls. Considering that a code may change depending on the orig. remote control used, it is possible that these codes are the suitable ones for your Apple Remote. Nonetheless, the codes for these devices would be:

Misc. Audio Code: 1115 and/or
Misc. Audio Code: 1644

Due to the fact, that this code is a fairly new created code, we advise to get a remote control that is both learnable, and phone upgradeable. The learning capability enables to copy functions from an orig. Infra-Red Remote Control onto the URC 7562 OFA Remote. The Upgradeability enables to upgrade the codes, through our toll-free number directly.

The suitable remote controls, that we recommend are:

URC 8060 Kameleon 6
URC 7781 Stealth 12
URC 7562 Metallic 6
URC 8305 Kameleon 5
URC 8308 Kameleon 8
URC 8350 Energy Saver Remote
URC 8210 Kameleon 10
URC 8206 Kameleon 6

Sounds good, I need to look into those when I have some time.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I got a reply from One Fo All:

Sounds good, I need to look into those when I have some time.

Well good, Ive got the URC 8060. Will give them a call tomoz to download the codes.

So what can we use with the apple remote, itunes, VLC, Quick time?

Lornholio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
So what can we use with the apple remote, itunes, VLC, Quick time?

All of the above. The coolest thing is Front Row - hit the MENU button on the remote and Front Row launches, giving you a very simple layout to browse all your media and play it full screen. My display adapters are coming this week so hopefully this will work well with whatever macbook screen + monitor + TV configuration I work out. Plus you can boot and sleep the Macbook by holding the play button. I'm very impressed.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
There are some iPhone apps that allow you to control various things. The Apple Remote will control iTunes and Apple TV, and I believe there is software that can control things like DVD players, but don't quote me on the latter. So if you have an iPhone you could use that as a universal remote, I suppose.

healimonster

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
I am trying to use a universal remote to control my macbook pro to control boxee when it is hooked up to the tv....
Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.