PDA

View Full Version : Taking on the iPod (iRiver iHP-120)


MacBytes
Feb 5, 2004, 03:34 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Taking on the iPod (iRiver iHP-120) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040205043400)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

winmacguy
Feb 5, 2004, 03:53 AM
Seems to be a lot of iPod knockers out there.

Gee I wonder who has sold the most MP3 players on the planet to date?
Whose MP3 player is the easiest to operate?
Whose MP3 players are the best value for gigabytes of storage available?
Whose MP3 player carries the best overall design?

mmmmmm.....definitely not the competition.

crazedbytheheat
Feb 5, 2004, 08:05 AM
Wow. At least it has an FM tuner for the extra $300. Add the extra $50 and get the voice recorder. We're up to $350 for an equivelent iPod. That's a pretty expensive FM tuner they've got there. BTW, I got my iPod so I don't have to listen the the crappy radio.

nickmcghie
Feb 5, 2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by crazedbytheheat
Wow. At least it has an FM tuner for the extra $300. Add the extra $50 and get the voice recorder. We're up to $350 for an equivelent iPod. That's a pretty expensive FM tuner they've got there. BTW, I got my iPod so I don't have to listen the the crappy radio.

hey newbie, please note that the $699 is in Australian dollars. according to current exchange rates, that is equivalent to about USD$534.90. yes, that's still expensvie, but certainly not $300 more than the ipod

crazedbytheheat
Feb 5, 2004, 10:35 AM
Ooops. Is my American showing through? :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction.

montex
Feb 5, 2004, 11:15 AM
That iPod wannabe is FUGLY. Just like virtually every other box put out by PC manufacturers. I had hoped that the iPod would have ushered in a new era of design excellence. Instead, here's an iPod that looks like it's been injected with Borg nanoprobes!

Keynoteuser
Feb 5, 2004, 11:17 AM
most companies are cramming as much as they can into their players. This causes clunky menus and overly complicated controls. I LOVE Apple's Dock idea, as you can just use it as a music player, or you can buy attachments as you want them. While I wouldn't mind seeing at LEAST a radio tuner in the iPod, I can do without one. I just hope all these companies continue to clutter up their interfaces and controls...this will keep the iPod on top.

mrsebastian
Feb 5, 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by nickmcghie
hey newbie, please note that the $699 is in Australian dollars. according to current exchange rates, that is equivalent to about USD$534.90. yes, that's still expensvie, but certainly not $300 more than the ipod

it may be usd$534.90, but that makes the ipod look like a bargain. personally couldn't care less about the fm tuner. the only thing that would take the ipod to the next level is hi-fi recording.

jayb2000
Feb 5, 2004, 01:11 PM
ok, its a 20gb drive. so for US$448.95, I can get a 20gb iPod, with doc, carrying case, and a Belkin iPod Voice Recorder. Saving me ~$85 dollars, but no FM.
On the other hand, if I buy the 40gb iPod, and Belkin iPod Voice Recorder, I spend like 20 dollars more and get DOUBLE the storage and a much smoother interface.

The article also says its a "plus" becuase that brick supports Mac and Windows.
Apparantly its news to Mr. Best that iTunes and iPod support both.

:rolleyes:

winmacguy
Feb 5, 2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by jayb2000
ok, its a 20gb drive. so for US$448.95, I can get a 20gb iPod, with doc, carrying case, and a Belkin iPod Voice Recorder. Saving me ~$85 dollars, but no FM.
On the other hand, if I buy the 40gb iPod, and Belkin iPod Voice Recorder, I spend like 20 dollars more and get DOUBLE the storage and a much smoother interface.

The article also says its a "plus" becuase that brick supports Mac and Windows.
Apparantly its news to Mr. Best that iTunes and iPod support both.

:rolleyes:

I have just sent Mr Best an email imforming him of his misleading statement.

Vector
Feb 5, 2004, 04:39 PM
It claims to have a 16 hour playback time, but i seriously doubt that since it is about the same size as the ipod and has more things crammed in it.

mrsebastian
Feb 5, 2004, 07:23 PM
i forgot to mention it before, but that thing is uuuuuuuuuuuggggly! it looks my walkman i had in 1989, minus the joystick that is.