Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
It seems like there's a lot of nay-saying over a lot of varied problems on this board, and since I'm looking to buy a nano, I'm just wondering if these things are really this bad? Thoughts? Comments? Complaints? All welcome! Thanks! Also, my biggest contender against a new 16gb nano is a ipod touch; more thoughts?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Keep in mind, the unhappy are typically far more vocal than the happy. This could easily account for the apparent negative bias in these forums.

ColieFlower

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
i like mine, but it runs out of battery pretty quickly, and the only thing it is compatible to charge with is my mac itself, so it's kind of annoying.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I'm happy with my black 8GB. It's amazingly small and packs a good punch sound-wise. Also, the Genius feature won me over. And it does charge fine with my WinXP machine at work...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i like mine, but it runs out of battery pretty quickly, and the only thing it is compatible to charge with is my mac itself, so it's kind of annoying.

Or the iPod USB Power Adapter or any number of iPod speaker systems that use USB charging like Apple told them to do years ago....

But yeah, the battery life is greatly diminished from my 3G, the accelerometer is a bit of a pain considering when it's on it's side you can't change volume and if you leave the iPod alone so that the display turns off tilting the iPod turns the display back on and rains the battery even faster.

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
It seems like there's a lot of nay-saying over a lot of varied problems on this board, and since I'm looking to buy a nano, I'm just wondering if these things are really this bad? ?

Yes, the new 'thin' Nanos are absolutely BAD. More than 65% of them have been returned to Apple, they're all defective, which in turn has caused Apple to lose a huge chunk of their revenue in this last Fiscal Quarter, which is the reason Apple is now reporting a $1.6 billion loss.

Get a Zune while you can. And don't look back.

Atomike

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
what are the nano problems?

The main problem I have, is the defective CoverFlow feature. It's a major bug that was intentionally written into the software! It literally cripples your volume control. Zune folks are laughing out loud at nano owners right now.
Don't get me wrong - the features of the 4g nano are great. Video, games, and form factor are very good. But the software was written by monkeys.
I was unaware of the 65% return rate, but I do believe that number based on the defective-by-design nature of the CoverFlow "feature". Apple owes all 4g nano customers a huge apology, and probably a refund.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
why buy a touch if you already own a iPhone 3g? nano's are bought for their small size

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Yes, the new 'thin' Nanos are absolutely BAD. More than 65% of them have been returned to Apple, they're all defective, which in turn has caused Apple to lose a huge chunk of their revenue in this last Fiscal Quarter, which is the reason Apple is now reporting a $1.6 billion loss.

Get a Zune while you can. And don't look back.

source? :rolleyes::D

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008

What do you mean 'source'? I'm not allowed to make up total BS in these forums?

At least one dupe actually BELIEVED my post when I said that the latest iPod Nanos have an abysmal 65% return rate. If that had been true, Apple wouldn't be in business much longer.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Actually im not the one who's buying the ipods, but posted this for a friend who doesn't have an account! :D Thanks for all your feedback tho!

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
Well, I have both the nano 4th gen (16GB, Black) and the Touch 2nd gen (32GB). I still have my nano 2nd gen (8GB, Black) and gave my nano 1st gen 4GB to my wife. Comparing the different iPods, I think the 4th gen nano gives the best sound, period. The cover-flow-when-turned-on-its-side "feature" is a bug, IMHO. We should have an option to disable it since it could easily have been activated accidentally, draining the battery unnecessarily.

I also found it annoying that the current song name won't be displayed on the screen full-time, like on the 1st and 2nd gen nanos (don't know about the 3rd), unless the backlight is on. If I want to see the song name, I will have to touch the scroll wheel. Otherwise the screen is blank most of the time, except when you set it to energy saver mode off, where it will simply show the clock and battery level. I'd like to see the song name and progress indicator all the time like on previous generations', even when the backlight is off.

Otherwise, the screen clarity and colour fidelity is a huge improvement from the 2nd gen. It also looks much nicer than the fat 3rd gen.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Well I had a first gen nano and loved it but that went through the wash so i bought a video, now i liked having videos on my ipod but i missed the small size of the nano. Received a touch for my b-day and love it but it is not practical to carry around all day in high school so i bought a 3g nano and use that daily and use my touch for anywhere but school.

P.S. I would be buy the 4th gen nano but my mom wont leet me. I am trying to find a cheap one on eBay so i can say i only spent $75 on it.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Coverflow sucks

The 4G Nano is cool, but the Coverflow feature is broken and there needs to be an option to turn it off. Just been on the Apple discussion boards reading the threads bashing the lack of a way to turn Coverflow off. The two big issues is that it's killing battery life for a lot of people and when it's in Coverflow you can't change the volume.

I've found that Coverflow on both of our Nanos has a bug... when the song changes, the display stays on the same album/song. This is really annoying. I have a Proclip in my car and I'd like to rotate it so the Nano is in Coverflow. Otherwise, it obscures my GPS. But in order to update the display, i have to rotate it upright and back. Weak. Doesn't work this way on our Touches.

We also had to return our Nanos the day we bought them. My wife's 8GB purple Nano had an issue with the click wheel not responding. My 16GB silver Nano continually rebooted. Yes, the Geniuses verified the issues, so it wasn't us. With the Nanos we have now, I notice some oddities... mostly just not responding to commands right away.

I really don't want to give up on my Nano... esp after sinking $52+ on my Proclip holder and selling my old Proclip and 2nd Gen Nano yesterday. But Apple needs to fix these issues ASAP. Until then, I would not recommend this iPod.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm glad I kept my 3G iPod nano. It has decent battery life and the sound quality is quite good. I'm hoping that Apple does a substantial firmware update to the 4G nano to fix a number of known problems with the player.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

HUH? 65%? $1.6B loss? Where did you get your numbers? Did you see this story?

Research says that 1 out of 3 statistics are made up.

Ellmoes

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
This is a moan bout the new nano

ive had one for 2 months now right.
and i have only ever dropped it once and that was from my lap.
is there a down fall in the new nano's software as mine has packed it in.
i admit i have listened to it non stop but surely that dont kill it, thats what there built for?
so im sending it back to Apple to get sorted but does anyone know if its a virus or just a bad quality ipod?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I'm glad I kept my 3G iPod nano. It has decent battery life and the sound quality is quite good. I'm hoping that Apple does a substantial firmware update to the 4G nano to fix a number of known problems with the player.

They did yesterday

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I quite like my iPod nano. On a day to day basis, it's more convenient than my iPod touch because it's much smaller and lighter. The coverflow feature can be turned off now, and the new design is simply amazing IMO. It sounds good, it looks good, it's easy to use, what more can you ask for in an iPod?

pspking23

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
suck

]the new nano sucks, my friend had it in his pocket when he was running and when he went to change a song, the ipod screen was like cracked.. he was wearing bball shorts.. and just jogging.. its so dumb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.